P5 no longer recognizing Firewire interface

Author
maric22@adelphia.net
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 16
2009/07/04 19:43:35 (permalink)

P5 no longer recognizing Firewire interface

Happy Fourth,
I've been using an M-Audio Profire 2626 with P-5 V2 on a Win XP SP3 for over a year with out any problems.
I've moved a few things and P5 no longer opens up.
It say Audio already being used (or something like that).
I've re-installed the M-Audio drives and followed the start up instructions without luck.
I've also tried 2 other Firewire computers 1-Mac and 1-PC Vista neither recognized the Pro Fire 2626.
It seems as if the 2626 quit working, although it seems fine.
I'm ordering an Alesis IO 26.
Is there something I should be aware of.
TIA,
Carl

11 Replies Related Threads

bulls hit
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 822
    RE: P5 no longer recognizing Firewire interface 2009/07/07 04:26:31 (permalink)
    Have you tried a different f/w cable?
    maric22@adelphia.net
    RE: P5 no longer recognizing Firewire interface 2009/07/07 11:53:14 (permalink)
    Thanks,
    Yes I have.
    No Luck!

All was working perfectly until this mishap.
    I've tried re-installing the drivers with the most recent.
    P-5 prompts me that the audio device is already being used.
    I've tried two other F/W computers too.
    I think I'm missing a simple menu item.

Thanks again.
    spacemusic
    • Total Posts : 41
    RE: P5 no longer recognizing Firewire interface 2009/07/07 13:23:42 (permalink)
    A few things to try:

Sometimes the firewire connectors on a piece of hardware go bad or intermittent. Is there an indicator light on your M-Audio that shows what the status is?

There's an audio options setting in P5 (don't remember exactly and I'm at work so I can't look at it). Try removing M-audio from the list and closing P5. Then open P5 and see what happens. You'd have to add it back in again.

Do you have anything else running while you're using P5 that would access the audio device? Make sure that nothing else is running including anything that might be running in the background.

Good luck
    maric22@adelphia.net
    RE: P5 no longer recognizing Firewire interface 2009/07/07 15:05:17 (permalink)
    spacemusic,
    Thanks.
    I can't open P5.
    It prompts me that an audio devise is in use.
    I will try removing a USB connected WiFi adapter and it's associated software.
    Any other suggestions are welcome...
    bulls hit
    RE: P5 no longer recognizing Firewire interface 2009/07/08 04:35:20 (permalink)
    Can you run any other music program? Can you play an mp3 in media player?
    spacemusic
    RE: P5 no longer recognizing Firewire interface 2009/07/09 12:52:36 (permalink)
    Hi Maric,

I thought of a few more things. I know how frustrating this stuff is. In fact I gave up on P5 for over a year because of technical glitches, like trying to get sound out of my headphones or speakers And I thought I was pretty good with computers.

When I said "nothing else running" I mean any other programs at all, background tasks, antivirus, anything to do with internet connections (not just the hardware, but all the associated drivers).

If you're running XP, go to the control panel and open "audio devices" and click the "Audio" tab. What is the default device set to? Is there more than one selection available in the drop down list? Make sure your default device is set to the firewire device. It might be set to the audio that comes on the motherboard.

One kinda dumb question -- do you turn your computer off when you're not using it? If you don't, try turning the power off (not a retstart). Sometimes that can straighten out driver issues.

Good luck,
    Marion
    maric22@adelphia.net
    RE: P5 no longer recognizing Firewire interface 2009/07/09 16:01:21 (permalink)
    Thank you again and sorry for my delayed response.
    I had a friend with the same hardware take a look at it.
    We are unable to access the audio devices in the audio tab.
    It's hazed over with no pull down options.
    We've reinstalled the M-Audio Software and drivers with no success.
    We questioned if the Firewire interface needed to be connected to access the audio devices tab?
    It's impossible to open P-5.
    It gives an audio devise is already in use prompt.
    I have a new Firewire Interface coming tomorrow that I'll test.
    I suspect that it's something else.
    We've rebooted and followed the start up procedures with NO luck.
    TIA...

maric22@adelphia.net
    Re: RE: P5 no longer recognizing Firewire interface 2009/07/28 13:32:31 (permalink)
    BUMP and OUCH!!!

Up until 2 weeks ago I had a perfectly functioning 24-bit all digital multitrack recording and playback setup, all connected via Firewire IEEE1394 using an M-Audio Profire 2626 audio interface and running Cakewalk’s Project Five sequencing software. Prior to that I’ve was connected by way of 16 channels of ADAT litepipe using a 24 bit RME Hammerfall PCI interface card.

This system is used like Band-in-a-box or Garageband for MIDI File playback to play along with Cakewalk Project 5 Song files using Cakewalk Dimension Pro as a sampler (which is not very CPU intensive) I Freeze or compress/render the MIDI song files so that they use 2-3% CPU at best. There’s little to no DSP or Plug-in’s being used.

To accomplish this very simple task I used a purposely build for music $3,000.00 Rack Mount CPU with Core 2-Duo with at least 4GB or RAM running Win XP-Pro SP3 at 32-bit audio processing. It’s worked flawlessly for 2 years.

The other day I added a new Mic and Pre amp into my (perfectly running) system and I must have inadvertently wiggled the Firewire connection. Now after having tried 3 different interfaces using 3 different Firewire cables and 4 different PC’s (2-WIN and 2-MAC) I cannot get them to recognize any Firewire interface. All I get is blue blank data windows on the PC in the hardware and software pull down menus for both Alesis I/O 26 and (2) M-Audio versions using the most recent and drivers and software.

My two very MIDI/PC experienced friend’s and I tried every possible software and hardware combination and boot-up sequence and no joy was had using Firewire. If anything we found that it’s possible to plug a Firewire cable into a very expensive PC upside down!!!
    Which may have been the culprit.
    Who knows?

I have since ordered a USB 2.0 interface and I’ll try all over again on Wed.

Wish me luck.
    bulls hit
    Re: RE: P5 no longer recognizing Firewire interface 2009/07/29 04:54:59 (permalink)
    maric22@adelphia.net

BUMP and OUCH!!!

Up until 2 weeks ago I had a perfectly functioning 24-bit all digital multitrack recording and playback setup, all connected via Firewire IEEE1394 using an M-Audio Profire 2626 audio interface and running Cakewalk’s Project Five sequencing software. Prior to that I’ve was connected by way of 16 channels of ADAT litepipe using a 24 bit RME Hammerfall PCI interface card.

This system is used like Band-in-a-box or Garageband for MIDI File playback to play along with Cakewalk Project 5 Song files using Cakewalk Dimension Pro as a sampler (which is not very CPU intensive) I Freeze or compress/render the MIDI song files so that they use 2-3% CPU at best. There’s little to no DSP or Plug-in’s being used.

To accomplish this very simple task I used a purposely build for music $3,000.00 Rack Mount CPU with Core 2-Duo with at least 4GB or RAM running Win XP-Pro SP3 at 32-bit audio processing. It’s worked flawlessly for 2 years.

The other day I added a new Mic and Pre amp into my (perfectly running) system and I must have inadvertently wiggled the Firewire connection. Now after having tried 3 different interfaces using 3 different Firewire cables and 4 different PC’s (2-WIN and 2-MAC) I cannot get them to recognize any Firewire interface. All I get is blue blank data windows on the PC in the hardware and software pull down menus for both Alesis I/O 26 and (2) M-Audio versions using the most recent and drivers and software.

My two very MIDI/PC experienced friend’s and I tried every possible software and hardware combination and boot-up sequence and no joy was had using Firewire. If anything we found that it’s possible to plug a Firewire cable into a very expensive PC upside down!!!
    Which may have been the culprit.
    Who knows?

I have since ordered a USB 2.0 interface and I’ll try all over again on Wed.

Wish me luck.

Have you tried installing a $15 pci firewire card and see if any of those interfaces will connect to that?

spacemusic
    Re: RE: P5 no longer recognizing Firewire interface 2009/07/29 07:13:35 (permalink)
    Have you tried installing a $15 pci firewire card and see if any of those interfaces will connect to that?

You can also try unplugging and replugging all of the firewire cables inside the PC that go between the  firewire connector and the motherboard. You may be able to clean the plugs and pins with alcohol and a Q-tip. My computer was doing all sorts of weird things and it turned out there was dust where the RAM chips plugged in.  Another time it wouldn't always boot because the cable between the motherboard and hard drive had a cracked plug.  It's always the 29 cent part that gets you.

Good luck,
    Marion

maric22@adelphia.net
    Re: RE: P5 no longer recognizing Firewire interface 2009/07/30 16:06:00 (permalink)
    Thanks to all the responded and tried to help.
    I solved the issue by throwing $250 at it.
    I purchased an Edirol/Roland M-16DX.
    It's a 16 channel all digital mixer USB 2.0 interface-
    which originally sold for $799US and now sells for under $300US.
    IMO, it's a much better DAW front-end than any of the previously mentioned
    Alesis I/O26 or M-Audio Profire 2626 Firewire interfaces with on-board DSP features you'll never find on anything else that I know of.
    If I were you I'd check them out before they're unavailable.
    http://www.rolandus.com/p...d=860&ParentId=114
    BTW, I have no affiliation with RolandUS or any other manufacutures.
    My $250!
    Peace out,

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1