P5 total newbie question...

Author
AngelicLight
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 30
2007/11/25 21:54:02 (permalink)

P5 total newbie question...

Hi, there,

I feel TOTALLY stupid asking such basic a question, but all of my experience thus far has been with "traditional" hosts like Sonar, etc.

Recently, though, I am becoming more and more aware of the need to "see" my music laid out in a more visual manner, like the parts, patterns, etc. How well does P5 do this? I don't need to experiment much since most of my music is already done "in my head" and I don't really rely on loops and other material that I don't create. Is P5, therefore, something that I could still benefit from?

Sorry for the totally stupid questions. Keep in mind, though, that until recently I didn't even know why something like P5 was actually needed, meaning that I didn't understand what it could do that Sonar couldn't.

Stupid me, huh? (Or at least behind the times!) :)

9 Replies Related Threads

ecamburn
    Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1510
    RE: P5 total newbie question... 2007/11/25 23:25:17 (permalink)
    Since you have experience with traditional hosts, you might find these threads that talk about the difference between p5 and sonar helpful.

http://forum.cakewalk.com/tm.asp?m=1209072
    http://forum.cakewalk.com/tm.asp?m=1208668
    http://forum.cakewalk.com/tm.asp?m=1119176
    http://forum.cakewalk.com/tm.asp?m=1175386

If you're used to working with midi clips in sonar, then, visually speaking, midi patterns in sonar might seem fairly similar. I personally find the visual feedback you get from P5 to be helpful. I find the arrange pane, in which you arrange midi and audio patterns, to be a very flexible and intuitive way to develop a composition. You might also find the groove matrix to be a useful way to visualize a composition. I'd really encourage you to give the project 5 demo a whirl.

http://www.cakewalk.com/download/download.asp?Action=DL&PID=CWP5200

eric
    post edited by ecamburn - 2007/11/25 23:37:18
    everdream
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 139
    RE: P5 total newbie question... 2007/11/25 23:39:14 (permalink)
    Not a stupid question at all AL - in fact, many traditional "linear" DAW users don't see a reason why they'd want to use something like P5, or Live or Reason (all very good at "non-linear" DAW stuff - think "pattern-based"). But the P5 users know we have the real hidden treasure here! Sure, Sonar is awesome and feature-packed, but P5 fits a different niche and hits a different target audience. However, that's not to say that Sonar users can't benefit from incorporating P5 into their arsenal. Currently you can rewire P5 into Sonar (or any other host). Someday maybe the Makers will create tighter integration between the two products.

I came from the linear DAW way of thinking too, having grown up on Cakewalk back when it was still known as Twelve Tone Systems, but it was more natural for me, being a keyboard player who plays live a lot to migrate to pattern-based. The migration from linear to pattern-based was easier for me than for those who have always worked left to right. ... AND I don't do dance/trance music! So I'm a P5 user who doesn't use it to make dance/trance/triphop/hiphop/acid/whatever-techno-stuff. I use it for rock-n-roll (with modern synths and drum loops), and little jazzy/funk.

What's great about pattern-based and P5? Lots! But I think one of the coolest tools in P5 is the Groove Matrix. I use it live as well as in my home studio. I can drag loops or midi patterns onto cells on the Groove Matrix and trigger them from my keyboard (or a Trigger Finger - which I don't own yet!). I set up the columns to correspond to sections of a song: Intro, Verses, Bridge, Outro and perhaps a few variations of these. I can trigger an entire section with one keypress and switch between them as I wish in a live setting - and record the whole thing too (if it was worth recording).

I can be a one-man band that way, or as different musicians join my team I can mute the parts that they're going to play live (example: I get a bass player, then I can drop my bass parts and let him/her cover those parts).

Does that help you out any? Not sure I really answered your question, but I got my 2 cents worth in. Hope it helps you.
    Trusty
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 590
    RE: P5 total newbie question... 2007/11/26 00:43:25 (permalink)
    For me, trying to make my genre in Sonar would be a great chore. Project5 lets me come as close to "jamming" music as I can get, to sort out a sequence from start to finish that I like, considering it is rap beats. Plus composing the looped nature of the genre in something like Project5 is a no-brainer compared to linear sequencers like Sonar.

Now, after I make my beats in P5, I open Sonar, rewire, Project5, bounce to audio, close P5, and begin recording all audio like vocals or live instrumetns as needed. Then it is mix and master, and I got a song. Unbeatable workflow.

ANyway, I've noticed that most music now days in a lot of popular genres have repeatable patterns in various sections...It seems like P5 would work well here even for audio recording to make loops and hack out a workable song structure. That would help a lot of bands get ideas and sketches fleshed out rather quickly I would think.
    AngelicLight
    RE: P5 total newbie question... 2007/11/26 02:26:45 (permalink)
    Hey,

All of your answers are well above and beyond what I was either looking for or expecting, so I feel that saying "thank you" would be an understatement!

If you don't mind me asking some more for clarity...

@Eric:

Your quote from another thread:

"I do all my composing in P5 and Battery is my main percussion synth. I usually use 3-4 outputs per battery track. After I've finished recording all the patterns for the song and arranging them in P5, I render all tracks to audio. I then import the audio into Sonar where I mixdown and master in two separate steps. "

...really helped me visualize a good workflow for me, too. I could do everything but my guitar recording in P5 then just import all the audio into a "regular" host. Does P5 allow you to output different audio tracks for kick, snare, toms, etc, if you have all of those on one MIDI track/clip/etc? Or do you have to put each drum sound on a separate track in order to do that?

@everdream:

Is one column all that is needed per section of the song? I guess when patterns change or add you just click on them and it triggers their recording in the main track? This sounds like a good workflow idea, too!

@Trusty:

So is rewire something that tends to sync well with other hosts? I've never used it before. Can you still edit your P5 project once it's rewired in?

Thanks a bunch, all, for an incredible amount of helpful info!

- A
    Trusty
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 590
    RE: P5 total newbie question... 2007/11/26 03:05:51 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: AngelicLight

Hey,

All of your answers are well above and beyond what I was either looking for or expecting, so I feel that saying "thank you" would be an understatement!

If you don't mind me asking some more for clarity...

Shoot. I'll try to answer all of them even though they weren't directed towards me.

@Eric:

Your quote from another thread:

"I do all my composing in P5 and Battery is my main percussion synth. I usually use 3-4 outputs per battery track. After I've finished recording all the patterns for the song and arranging them in P5, I render all tracks to audio. I then import the audio into Sonar where I mixdown and master in two separate steps. "

...really helped me visualize a good workflow for me, too. I could do everything but my guitar recording in P5 then just import all the audio into a "regular" host. Does P5 allow you to output different audio tracks for kick, snare, toms, etc, if you have all of those on one MIDI track/clip/etc? Or do you have to put each drum sound on a separate track in order to do that?

It will let you do that. I do this with Velocity. I use all five outputs of it, and when all outputs are enabled, when I enter rewire mode, all the outputs open individually so the kick is on its own, and the snare, and so on. And yes, I use the same midi track, the instrument handles the audio outputs from there via how you route the samples. I am guessing Battery does this as well, but I don't use Battery so I don't know.

The good thing about Velocity is that it is tied to Project5, so all the samples show up in the pattern editor (instead of the keybed that is usually there). So I enter my patterns all on the same clip, but the audio is routed to individual outputs.

@everdream:

Is one column all that is needed per section of the song? I guess when patterns change or add you just click on them and it triggers their recording in the main track? This sounds like a good workflow idea, too!

Yeah, the Groove Matrix columns have to be set up that way of course, but that is how many people work with it, you can trigger a whole column, or just a single cell within a column. Lots of jamming fun with it.

@Trusty:

So is rewire something that tends to sync well with other hosts? I've never used it before. Can you still edit your P5 project once it's rewired in?

Thanks a bunch, all, for an incredible amount of helpful info!

- A

It syncs perfectly with Sonar, and I am guessing it is the same with other hosts. You can still edit within P5, but you have to have both screens active or you won't hear anything...or at least I don't. Sonar has to be in view to hear stuff. Kind of a pain, but the best thing to do is to have it as complete as possible before you rewire and bounce to audio in your DAW.
    post edited by Trusty - 2007/11/26 03:17:58
    Russell.Whaley
    Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2755
    RE: P5 total newbie question... 2007/11/26 18:25:46 (permalink)
    +1 to all of the above -- and one thing I appreciate more and more about P5 is the "scratch pad" it offers me: I can rearrange stuff in P5 lots faster than I can in Sonar if I want to try different song arrangments.

Russ

everdream
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 139
    RE: P5 total newbie question... 2007/11/26 21:15:33 (permalink)
    +1 Russell. That's one of my favorite features of P5 which make it my go to DAW over Sonar every time. In fact, I find myself going to Sonar less and less. I do it all in P5, then go to Sony's Sound Forge for mastering. Perhaps, I'll look to Sonar for mastering in the future, but Sound Forge has it in the bag for me (right now).

Thanks Trusty for answering for all of us! A.L. - what Trusty said works for me!
    ecamburn
    Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1510
    RE: P5 total newbie question... 2007/11/27 07:59:48 (permalink)

...really helped me visualize a good workflow for me, too. I could do everything but my guitar recording in P5 then just import all the audio into a "regular" host.

"Regular" hosts have deeper feature sets for recording and editing audio, but you know you can record audio in P5 right? The only potential disadvantage to this might be that other hosts record at a bit depth greater than 24. But if you're ok with 16 or 24, then getting your audio tracks down in p5 might be an option.

eric

AngelicLight
    RE: P5 total newbie question... 2007/11/27 10:52:24 (permalink)
    Wow - you all helped out immensely here.

I need to get into a pattern-based host, like, pronto! I have not made any music at all with the normal linear ones and I've been playing and writing music for over 20 years!

Funny - I've been forcing myself to use other hosts and I'm just not getting anything done! DOH! :)

I've always thought in patterns, even if I am writing out a full song on paper. It started with an old Roland TR-707 drum machine I used to use with an old 4-track tape recorder. Now, three years into "exploring" music software on my PC and nothing coming out - well, it certainly all makes sense due to old habits based in the pattern world!

Does P5 do send/aux tracks or busses?

I don't need them if I could always rewire or something...
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1