PC Tech Forum Recommendations Please

Author
SonicExplorer
Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 775
2017/11/27 04:23:59 (permalink)

PC Tech Forum Recommendations Please

Gents,

I have a problem with my DAW PC that has me baffled and am looking for a recommendation WRT a very technical forum where I might find some help.  It would be wonderful if someone on this forum might have answers, but I suspect this is a bit more low-level than typical forum subject matter...

Somehow, in rebuilding a DAW PC I managed to cause the main boot disk to end up looking like a CHS rather than LBA type.  It may not actually be a BIOS or partition issue, it may be the FAT32 BPB, I'm not sure.  But the 2nd drive in the system (which BTW is the exact same drive as the boot drive) is being seen correctly.   For some reason the boot drive is  being interpreted as 4/17 rather than 255/63 on the CHS params.  Everything seems to run fine, but I need to get some direction on how to straighten out this mess because I don't want any unexpected surprises down the road.  In particular with Ghost.....if necessary in the future I don't want to attempt to restore the system only to find out later it fails because the "geometry" was futzed up internally somehow.    And no, there isn't an explicit setting within the BIOS for choosing between CHS/LBA so that's not the problem.    There is one 125GB partition on each drive so it's not a translation issue either since that is less than the 137GB limitation of Windows OS.

When I run Super FDisk it complains the ending sector is wrong on the boot drive (should be 63 not 17) and asks if I want it to "fix" the problem, but I'm afraid to say yes for fear of causing loss of access to the volume or corruption.   WesterDigital Data Lifeguard tool reflects the same disparity on the CHS params between the two physically identical drives.

Anyway, you get the idea, I really need an uber-tech-ghuru to hopefully provide some guidance on what is happening and what options/tools might iron things back around correctly.

Thanks,

Sonic

1 Reply Related Threads

fireberd
    Max Output Level: -38 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3704
    Re: PC Tech Forum Recommendations Please 2017/11/27 11:38:46 (permalink)
    For Win 10, the www.tenforums.com has some very knowledgeable people.  Same way for Win 7  

ww.sevenforums.com

"GCSG Productions"
    Franklin D-10 Pedal Steel Guitar (primary instrument). Nashville Telecaster, Bass, etc. 
    ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero M/B, i7 6700K CPU, 16GB Ram, SSD and conventional hard drives, Win 10 Pro and Win 10 Pro Insider Pre-Release
    Sonar Platinum/CbB. MOTU 896MK3 Hybrid, Tranzport, X-Touch, JBL LSR308 Monitors,  
    Ozone 5,  Studio One 4.1
    ISRC Registered
    Member of Nashville based R.O.P.E. Assn.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1