PC Upgrade Questions

Author
BassRocket
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 132
2017/09/10 14:09:00 (permalink)

PC Upgrade Questions

Hi,
I'm finally going to be upgrading my motherboard to the 20th Century.

I figure I might as well do a clean install of everything. So, after formatting the main drive and re-installing the OS, can I just use Command Center to re-install Sonar Platinum? My license is still active, I believe.

My main worry though, is not only saving the work I've done in Sonar,
but also reloading the plugins and soft synths I've accumulated.

Can anyone offer any tips with this process to hopefully avoid as many problems as possible?

Many Thanks!

"War is not the answer, for only love can conquer hate"
-Marvin Gaye
New System:
MSI SLI Plus X299 mortherboard
Intel Core i7 7820X CPU
16GB Crucial Ballistix Elite DDR4 3200 RAM
MSI Radeon RX580 4GB Graphics
Samsung 960 Pro M.2 SSD (Win 10 Pro)
Samsung EVO 850 250GB SSD (storage)
WD Velociraptor 1TB HDD (storage)
Focusrite 18i8 Scarlett audio interface
Akai MPK261 midi controller
Sonar Platinum, Bitwig Studio, Cubase Artist 9.5

13 Replies Related Threads

fireberd
    Max Output Level: -38 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3704
    Re: PC Upgrade Questions 2017/09/10 14:21:25 (permalink)
    Windows 10 is very forgiving.  I and others have upgraded hardware and used the same OS drive and Win 10 booted up, did what it had to do to install new drivers, and ran just like before.  I had to reauthorize some add-ons but that was all in Sonar.  

I would try that before doing through the compete reinstall.

"GCSG Productions"
    Franklin D-10 Pedal Steel Guitar (primary instrument). Nashville Telecaster, Bass, etc. 
    ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero M/B, i7 6700K CPU, 16GB Ram, SSD and conventional hard drives, Win 10 Pro and Win 10 Pro Insider Pre-Release
    Sonar Platinum/CbB. MOTU 896MK3 Hybrid, Tranzport, X-Touch, JBL LSR308 Monitors,  
    Ozone 5,  Studio One 4.1
    ISRC Registered
    Member of Nashville based R.O.P.E. Assn.
    abacab
    Max Output Level: -30.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4464
    Re: PC Upgrade Questions 2017/09/10 15:58:30 (permalink)
    fireberd
    Windows 10 is very forgiving.  I and others have upgraded hardware and used the same OS drive and Win 10 booted up, did what it had to do to install new drivers, and ran just like before.  I had to reauthorize some add-ons but that was all in Sonar.  

I would try that before doing through the compete reinstall.

+1 to that.  Format and re-install is no longer required with Windows 10, after a motherboard upgrade.

DAW: CbB; Sonar Platinum, and others ... 
    BassRocket
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 132
    Re: PC Upgrade Questions 2017/09/10 16:42:12 (permalink)
    Hmm...
    I've always done clean installs because I've always feared bringing any old problems of the past into the future.
    But you guys are right. It would be so much easier.

The system HAS been acting a little buggy lately. But that's could be "user error" as I've only just found out that I needed to render my clips! I'd been leaving them open without knowing, duhh...

But on the safe side, what folders should I transfer to my external drive for safe keeping, in case of blunders?

Thanks again!

"War is not the answer, for only love can conquer hate"
    -Marvin Gaye
    New System:
    MSI SLI Plus X299 mortherboard
    Intel Core i7 7820X CPU
    16GB Crucial Ballistix Elite DDR4 3200 RAM
    MSI Radeon RX580 4GB Graphics
    Samsung 960 Pro M.2 SSD (Win 10 Pro)
    Samsung EVO 850 250GB SSD (storage)
    WD Velociraptor 1TB HDD (storage)
    Focusrite 18i8 Scarlett audio interface
    Akai MPK261 midi controller
    Sonar Platinum, Bitwig Studio, Cubase Artist 9.5
    slartabartfast
    Max Output Level: -22.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5289
    Re: PC Upgrade Questions 2017/09/10 17:14:55 (permalink)
    One thing to consider is that if your software is authorized for a single computer or limited installations on multiple computers, a new motherboard is likely to look like a new computer. That will certainly be the case with Windows 10, so your activation of your existing Win10 will not occur automatically. You may be able to talk a Microsoft employee into letting you activate by phone if you can convince him that this new motherboard is a repair and not an upgrade, but that is in no case guaranteed. You may need to buy a new license. You plugins may require you to uninstall them or deactivate them from the "old computer" before they will let you install it on the new computer, so take care of that before you swap your board.
    Markubl2
    Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 299
    Re: PC Upgrade Questions 2017/09/10 17:37:33 (permalink)
    I also do "clean" installs.  Windows is so easy to install these days.

One suggestion if you do a clean install (and I am sure that you have already though of this) is to unregister any plugins first - Waves, Arturia, ILok, etc. 
    abacab
    Re: PC Upgrade Questions 2017/09/10 18:33:15 (permalink)
    husker

True for Windows, but not so much for my 300+ plugins and other software. 

I keep my system scrubbed and don't let crap build up and cause performance or other issues.  I would reload my system from a backup image in case I ever need to recover.  I plan to never install Windows again.

abacab
    Re: PC Upgrade Questions 2017/09/10 18:44:24 (permalink)
    BassRocket

But on the safe side, what folders should I transfer to my external drive for safe keeping, in case of blunders?

The advice about de-activating your plugin licenses in advance is a good one.  Have heard many stories of pain involved for those who forgot to do this.

In addition, it is always a good idea to back up your Cakewalk Projects folder, your user folder (My Documents, etc.), and any folders that your plugins keep their custom settings and presets in.

That last one can be a challenge, because all developers seem to think differently about how to do this, and there is no standard.  You may have to research each one yourself.  To be safe, you could easily just make a copy of your current system drive onto a separate drive, for reference after the migration.  That way you can just drag and drop anything that you are missing.

I always take a system image before making any changes, and that has always worked fine as an archive for future reference.  Just mount the image as a drive (varies with image software, but most allow this), and drag and drop files/folders from it as needed.

And make sure that you have all of your application software and plugin installers (and serial numbers) on hand.

Good luck!

Audioicon
    Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 349
    Re: PC Upgrade Questions 2017/09/10 18:52:08 (permalink)
    BassRocket
    Hi,
    I'm finally going to be upgrading my motherboard to the 20th Century.

I figure I might as well do a clean install of everything. So, after formatting the main drive and re-installing the OS, can I just use Command Center to re-install Sonar Platinum? My license is still active, I believe.

My main worry though, is not only saving the work I've done in Sonar,
    but also reloading the plugins and soft synths I've accumulated.

Can anyone offer any tips with this process to hopefully avoid as many problems as possible?

Many Thanks!

I would never bring over the old stuff on a new PC. And also, some installation may not work seamlessly with a new Motherboard, meaning the install will require a serial number given it see this as a new PC, so make sure you have a serial number.

There are also issues with drivers, what I am mean, the motherboard may require it's own drivers and configuration given it is different from what was there before.

If your resources are installed on separate directories, then simply do a clean install and later bring over all of your resources.

If I were you, I would simply start clean.

abacab
    Re: PC Upgrade Questions 2017/09/10 18:52:23 (permalink)
    slartabartfast
    One thing to consider is that if your software is authorized for a single computer or limited installations on multiple computers, a new motherboard is likely to look like a new computer. That will certainly be the case with Windows 10, so your activation of your existing Win10 will not occur automatically. You may be able to talk a Microsoft employee into letting you activate by phone if you can convince him that this new motherboard is a repair and not an upgrade, but that is in no case guaranteed. You may need to buy a new license. You plugins may require you to uninstall them or deactivate them from the "old computer" before they will let you install it on the new computer, so take care of that before you swap your board.

Jim Roseberry mentioned this in another thread here.  http://forum.cakewalk.com/FindPost/3642672

It's not an insurmountable problem, and most likely won't be a problem if you don't do it too often.  If you are just running the one copy of Windows on one machine, you should be covered.

abacab
    Re: PC Upgrade Questions 2017/09/10 19:00:47 (permalink)
    Audioicon

I would never bring over the old stuff on a new PC. And also, some installation may not work seamlessly with a new Motherboard, meaning the install will require a serial number given it see this as a new PC, so make sure you have a serial number.

There are also issues with drivers, what I am mean, the motherboard may require it's own drivers and configuration given it is different from what was there before.

That was true prior to Windows 10.  The new hardware abstraction layer (HAL) in Win 10 allows for a seamless motherboard swap.

Audioicon
    Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 349
    Re: PC Upgrade Questions 2017/09/10 19:12:55 (permalink)
    abacab
    Audioicon

That was true prior to Windows 10.  The new hardware abstraction layer (HAL) in Win 10 allows for a seamless motherboard swap.

Maybe I should clarify, even if you can swap without issues, in my case I do not want to bring over issues or files or maybe possible virus. In this case I want to bring over only essential verified files.

I agree with you, if one just need to swap a motherboard, then it works however if you want to bring over only certain files then it get s bit more tricky.

Markubl2
    Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 299
    Re: PC Upgrade Questions 2017/09/10 19:50:19 (permalink)
    abacab
    husker

True for Windows, but not so much for my 300+ plugins and other software. 

Fair enough.  I don't have too many plugins that are difficult - the Air suite is manual, as is the Synthmaster stuff, but the other ones I have (Arturia, Waves, UVI, EastWest, Cakewalk) are pretty much automatic and easy.  Those like Abacab with quite a few plugins would obviously spend more time.

I used to be one of those guys who would rebuild and OS and reinstall everything ever year - whether it needed it or not.  :)  I just don't have that kind of time anymore, but I do enjoy the process of rebuilding things.
    post edited by husker - 2017/09/10 20:13:05
    abacab
    Re: PC Upgrade Questions 2017/09/10 23:54:42 (permalink)
    The only clean installs I have done in the past 10 years or so was the upgrade from Win XP to Windows 7, and then from Windows 7 to Windows 10.  The only reason I had to do it for Win 10 was that I was going from 32-bit to 64-bit at that time.  Otherwise, I take regular system images that I can easily restore from.

And I always use CCleaner (use the registry cleaner sparingly, and with care) and a few Sysinternals utilities (Autoruns) to de-crapify my PC, and avoid the buildup of things that would make a clean install desirable.  I know of at least one user on these forums that clean installs his computer once or twice a year, whether it needs it or not.  I'm sorry, but that IMHO is a huge waste of time.

I always create a system image after doing an initial clean Windows install, and applying all service packs and patches.  Then I archive that image for if/when I ever want to revert to "ground zero".  Happily, I have never had to use that one, but regular current images have saved my bacon a few times!

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1