PITCH SHIFTING WAVE FILES

Author
VASK100
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 53
2005/06/10 13:49:37 (permalink)

PITCH SHIFTING WAVE FILES

part time sonar user of 2.2xl; i'm not as proficient with sonar because i use so many other tools to write songs. at any rate, i'm working in this sonar environment because i've gathered a number of audio samples and created a nice little song idea. problem is, i've added a bass wave and organ wave which sound compatible with the others for what will be a "bridge" section. what i've discovered though is that the two pieces of audio need to have their pitches changed to play in the proper key.

what i've done so far is change the key pitch(?) from C (the original key playing the parts as constructed) to A minor, (the desired key for the "bridge" to sound correct) but it seems to affect the entire piece in that it has to be manually changed back in real time (after the bridge is completed), which won't be helpful when i elect to make it a two track wave to burn to CD.

is there some way to automate this; i've tried to effect the change by editing the pitch change (and saving the waves) in soundforge, but when i imported the new waves, they didn't play correctly, additionally, pitch shifting them in sonar messed up the quality of the wave something awful. i also wasn't able to nail down how to look for this process in the manuals, because i'm not sure if i'm characterizing the problem (the pieces on pitch shifting aren't helpful to me)

how can i acheive this? i'm fairly sure it can be done, and since i work in many different elements, i'd like to hurdle this problem for future endeavors.

thanks in advance.

4 Replies Related Threads

DroopyPawn
    Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 665
    RE: PITCH SHIFTING WAVE FILES 2005/06/10 15:51:51 (permalink)
    You can select/hilight the section you want to pitch-correct and do Process - Audio Effects. It will only affect the highlighted section.

I think that's what you were asking.
    VASK100
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 53
    RE: PITCH SHIFTING WAVE FILES 2005/06/10 16:04:36 (permalink)
    not sure i explained myself properly; having tried the abovementined solution, the problem is when i pitch shifted after highlighting the part, the quality of the wave went to sh$t (pops and clicks galore), and didn't play back properly as well; which is why i started the post. what process am i missing that will play the sample a whole step down yet still in time, as it does when i use the key pitch, moving the entire piece from C to A. i'm still experimenting with this process, but i'm at a loss for ideas because of my inexperience with audio files per se.

or is there another process outside of sonar that will achieve this. i employ soundforge, wavelab (for wave editing), acid, reason (for songwriting & production) as well as sonar with a motif 7 and mpc2000 as various tools for songwriting and production.
    DroopyPawn
    Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 665
    RE: PITCH SHIFTING WAVE FILES 2005/06/10 16:27:27 (permalink)
    Check into Melodyne.
    raggletaggle
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 144
    RE: PITCH SHIFTING WAVE FILES 2005/06/10 18:31:15 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: VASK100

not sure i explained myself properly; having tried the abovementined solution, the problem is when i pitch shifted after highlighting the part, the quality of the wave went to sh$t (pops and clicks galore), and didn't play back properly as well; which is why i started the post. what process am i missing that will play the sample a whole step down yet still in time, as it does when i use the key pitch, moving the entire piece from C to A. i'm still experimenting with this process, but i'm at a loss for ideas because of my inexperience with audio files per se.

Is it a groove clip? If so, you can just add a marker where you want the pitch to change, and set the groove clip properties to "follow project pitch". Depending on how drastically you want the pitch to change, and what the wav file is, it may sound like total garbage, or it may be passable, but it will stay in tempo with the rest of the project.

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1