PLEASE HELP! mastering and mixing tips

Author
sid1979
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1
2007/08/13 04:44:20 (permalink)

PLEASE HELP! mastering and mixing tips

Hi there!

It’s the first time i write in this forum cos i’ve recently setted up an home studio to work at my music with cubase with nomad factory blue tubes, sony sound forge, a m-audio solo audio card, a couple of esi near 5 monitors.

My questions are:

1) when everything has been equalized and mixed (I’ve started using the templates of the eq of nomad for each instrument, guitar, bass, voice, snare etc… then I’ve made my changing even if there are still too many high end low freq), if I try to mixdown a wav file at 16 bit, stereo interleaved and 44.100 freq. it seem to lose a HUGE amount of quality, specially if I burn a cd with the tracks (ok, I know I haven’t mastered them yet) and I try to listen them in the car for instance. What’ is the best way to get a single, good quality wav file of the song? Should I mix it down at a better quality even if the sampling freq. of the cd is 44.100?

2) about the mastering thing, should I make it with cubase or using sound forge? And again are there some tips for it? For example: should I eq the track after the compression? Have you guys a favourite preset on wave hammer for mastering? If I compress the track should I maximize it first?

3) About equalizing the final track: there is still too much mud and bass freq on my tracks, are there eq templates for the final tracks? Wich plug in works best? I know my stuff will never sound like the stuff that comes out from a $ 50.000 outboard but hey, I’m just trying to get a decent thing out of that! And possibly to make it sound decently on every player.

Thanks in advance dudes!

2 Replies Related Threads

jamesg1213
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 21760
    RE: PLEASE HELP! mastering and mixing tips 2007/08/13 05:54:06 (permalink)
    Hi,

Try doing a search in the Techniques forum for tips on mastering by forum member 'Yep'...but....these are the Cakewalk/Sonar forums, what are you doing here if you're using Cubase?? Cubase has it's own forums I believe.
    post edited by jamesg1213 - 2007/08/13 06:02:07

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer
    CJaysMusic
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 30423
    RE: PLEASE HELP! mastering and mixing tips 2007/08/15 06:48:05 (permalink)
    Im confused, you listed every software but Soanr and this is a sonar user forum. and the questions you asked about mastering will take a 700 page book to describe to you on how to master a project.
    Cj

www.audio-mastering-mixing.com - A Professional Worldwide Audio Mixing & Mastering Studio, Providing Online And Attended Sessions. We also do TV commercials, Radio spots & spoken word books
    Audio Blog
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1