PLS HELP: Driver issue?

Author
Helmet
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 64
2007/02/07 21:31:29 (permalink)

PLS HELP: Driver issue?

People:
I'm new to this and here's my story... I purchased an HP laptop, AMD dual core, 1 gig memory. After a week of using strictly for Sonar, the laptop crashed. I exchanged it for a new one at the store. For the past 2 months I have been learning the software and have been gradually getting the hang of it. But I began to find that I would have no sound when opening the program.

If I restarted the laptop, I would have sound again. But this happened with increasing frequency. Now, I can no longer hear my project at all. I also noticed that when I had no sound, there was no volume control available either on the desktop or in programs. The outputs were also blank in Sonar. I am set-up with MME-32 bit and using the conexant/microsoft wavetable included with the laptop.

I have intentionally held off on hooking up the interface (Line 6) because I am intent on learning Sonar 1st. I realize that the interface may solve the problem, but why did things deteriorate when they had been working fine? I have read all the previous posts relating to outputs and driver set-up. I have run the wave profiler, etc. I'm baffled. Someone had suggested using the Edirol instead as the driver, but I was unable to get this to show up in the outputs window in Sonar. I'm frustrated... Has anyone experienced this before? What can I do? Thanks in advance for your help. Aaahhh!!!

16 Replies Related Threads

daveny5
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 16934
    RE: PLS HELP: Driver issue? 2007/02/07 22:24:00 (permalink)
    Stop using the Conexant piece of crap and use the Line6 in ASIO mode.

You bought a car with a 4-cyl engine and added a v6, but you're still trying to use the 4-cyl to go fast. That doesn't work. Bite the bullet and setup the Line 6 so you have a decent soundcard to use. Yes, you have to use softsynths. I've explained how to use that at least 20 times this month so read my FAX or search the forum.

Dave
    Computer: Intel i7, ASROCK H170M, 16GB/5TB+, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Sonar Platinum, TASCAM US-16x08, Cakewalk UM-3G MIDI I/F
    Instruments: SL-880 Keyboard controller, Korg 05R/W, Korg N1R, KORG Wavestation EX
    Axes: Fender Stratocaster, Line6 Variax 300, Ovation Acoustic, Takamine Nylon Acoustic, Behringer GX212 amp, Shure SM-58 mic, Rode NT1 condenser mic.
    Outboard: Mackie 1402-VLZ mixer, TC Helicon VoiceLive 2, Digitech Vocalist WS EX, PODXTLive, various stompboxes and stuff. 
    Controllers: Korg nanoKONTROL, Wacom Bamboo Touchpad
    Sloom
    Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 401
    RE: PLS HELP: Driver issue? 2007/02/07 23:10:26 (permalink)
    Yeah, the interface is really a part of the program, in the way a bus terminal is a part of your ride to Grandmother's house. There's no getting around it, you have to get into this right up to your neck! Now git paddling!

"Whatever we do, it is what it is, and we do it."
    -the Grubs

PC specs coming, soon's I get my new machine!
    Helmet
    RE: PLS HELP: Driver issue? 2007/02/08 10:06:03 (permalink)
    OK, I appreciate the feedback. But, at the risk of angering Dave further, I'd just like to understand a few things.

1. Why is it that I had sound previously and everything was working fine, and now I no longer have any sound?

2. I have a general familiarity with the softsynths, I had opened one and begun to incorporate it into my 1st project. Am I to understand that the softsynth, eg. the Edirol can be used instead of Conexant or the Microsoft Wavetable as the soundcard? If so, would this appear under midi outputs? And wouldn't this preclude the necessity of my using the interface?

Thanks. I hear what you're saying Sloom and I will likely venture to take the interface out of the box over the weekend. It's just that I know once I get started with it I'll get all caught up in the different guitar sounds, etc. I've been trying to take baby steps and focus on the software 1st, but perhaps that's not the best approach.
    papa2004
    Max Output Level: -10.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6475
    RE: PLS HELP: Driver issue? 2007/02/08 10:19:38 (permalink)
    Thanks. I hear what you're saying Sloom and I will likely venture to take the interface out of the box over the weekend. It's just that I know once I get started with it I'll get all caught up in the different guitar sounds, etc. I've been trying to take baby steps and focus on the software 1st, but perhaps that's not the best approach.

Taking "baby steps" includes getting your hardware to function properly before you start dealing with software issues.

Regards,
    Papa
    liebre
    Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 622
    RE: PLS HELP: Driver issue? 2007/02/08 14:12:47 (permalink)
    I'll try to answer your questions.

1. I don't know. My advice is not to get too hung up worrying about it. Onboard sound is notoriously problematic with DAW applications. My bet is if you disable it and use your TonePort (or GuitarPort...whichever you bought) the problem will go away and the issue will be moot. I use to be pigheaded about knowing why problems occurred. Now I try to fight that instinct as there are too many problems and too little time. The objective is resolution of the problem so you can get on with making music.

2. I think you're confused with terms here. The Edirol is not a soundcard. Its a softsynth. Conexant is your sound card, Microsoft Wavetable is a soft synth that runs at the Windows OS level, outside of Cakewalk. Edirol runs completely in Cakewalk so its never going to show up as a MIDI "output" in the MIDI setup part of the program. It has no MIDI output. It has only MIDI input (from a MIDI track inside Cakewalk) and audio output (to an audio track inside Cakewalk). No matter what you use to generate your MIDI-based sounds you have to have a hardware interface to get it from the computer to your amp/speakers/headphones. You can use the built-in Conexant for that (bad idea) or your new L6 interface.

Just hook up the L6 interface and resist the temptation to play with the amp models. You're holding yourself up and making things too hard trying to use that Conexant.

Side note:

You can use the L6 interface without ever firing up the Gearbox software, if that makes it easier for you. There's no reason to have Gearbox running and dragging down the CPU if you're not using it.
    post edited by liebre - 2007/02/08 14:36:25
    Helmet
    RE: PLS HELP: Driver issue? 2007/02/08 16:01:30 (permalink)
    Thanks Liebre, that really helps to clarify things. And you're right, I'm probably overthinking all this. I have a ton of songs to record, time is marching on and it's time to get down to business. I'll use the toneport intially just for its driver so that I can get sound and continue work on my project.
    MandolinPicker
    Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 720
    RE: PLS HELP: Driver issue? 2007/02/08 17:04:16 (permalink)
    If you had sound initially, and then it stopped, you have something else going on inside the computer. It shouldn't just stop working.

Have you installed anything new? Is there a pattern to when you loose the sound? Have you done the 'CTRL-ALT-DEL' to see if something is using up a lot of memory when this occurs?

Generally, if any piece of software that once worked fine, and you are now having problems, and those problems are getting worse, look towards either spyware or a virus. Especially if you are using the laptop to link to the internet. Run your virus scan, run some spyware detectors, etc.

Again, look to see if there is any pattern, and logic to when the software quits working. Check to see what programs are running when the sound stops (Again, using CTRL-ALT-DEL). Check the device manager to make sure it still list the hardware. Regardless of the interface, if it worked before, it should continue to work. If it has stopped working, or is only working on occasion, there is something wrong with the software, something interfering, etc. And it may be causing other problems you haven't found yet!

The Mandolin Picker
    "Bless your hearts... and all your vital organs" - John Duffy

"Got time to breath, got time for music!"- Briscoe Darling, Jr.

Windows 8.1, Sonar Platinum (64-bit), AMD FX 6120 Six-Core, 10GB RAM
    Sloom
    RE: PLS HELP: Driver issue? 2007/02/08 18:42:41 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Helmet

...at the risk of angering Dave further,...

Lol!! Heh... sorry.

P.S. Concerning the trouble MandolinPicker addresses, there are documents on the web addressing the subject of optimizing your PC for audio. None of my links appear to work, but if you Google "Optimize PC for Audio", you're bound to come up with good info on this. It's a big deal, and this forum probably has stuff on it in the FAQ section. Dave put it together I think, speaking of...
    post edited by Sloom - 2007/02/08 19:08:07

-the Grubs

APC3
    Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1228
    RE: PLS HELP: Driver issue? 2007/02/08 20:50:06 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Helmet

Thanks Liebre, that really helps to clarify things. And you're right, I'm probably overthinking all this. I have a ton of songs to record, time is marching on and it's time to get down to business. I'll use the toneport intially just for its driver so that I can get sound and continue work on my project.

Plug that damn thing in already, you'd have been already. The ASIO drivers and the Direct hardware monitoring are priceless compared what you've been doing to yourself.
    post edited by APC3 - 2007/02/08 21:13:13
    papa2004
    Max Output Level: -10.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6475
    RE: PLS HELP: Driver issue? 2007/02/09 08:56:37 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL by APC3:

Plug that damn thing in already, ... The ASIO drivers and the Direct hardware monitoring are priceless compared what you've been doing to yourself.

ORIGINAL by papa2004:

Taking "baby steps" includes getting your hardware to function properly before you start dealing with software issues.

Don't be afraid to try something "conventional"...Don't get caught up in what you "might" do in the future...Get your system in order, then worry about how you approach getting your songs recorded...

Regards,
    Papa
    Helmet
    RE: PLS HELP: Driver issue? 2007/02/09 13:56:02 (permalink)
    Thanks to all. You're scaring me a little Mandolin... I hope there's nothing seriously wrong. Yeah, it's at the point where I don't get any sound at all from the software. I sometimes have to restart just to get any sound at all, eg. from the Internet. When this occurs, the message box that appears on the screen states that there is no mixer/hardware set up. In any case, you're right APC3 I probably could have/should have pushed myself to take on more rather than doing everything incrementally. It may sound absurd, but I actually bought a Sonar book well before I purchased the software (due to technophobia). And, I should be ashamed to admit that the interface has been sealed in the box for over 6 months. Well, I'm confident that one day I'll be able to look back on all this in amusement that the experince of working with the software actually raised my blood pressure. This weekend I'm hooking up the interface, and hopefully this will resolve the sound issue.
    Helmet
    RE: PLS HELP: Driver issue? 2007/02/10 17:36:38 (permalink)
    OK, so I set-up the Line 6 interface today, established the inputs and outputs, ASIO, and still no sound... Should I try reinstalling Sonar? Will I lose my project if I do so? Thanks.
    paulrodriguez22
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 197
    RE: PLS HELP: Driver issue? 2007/02/10 18:58:07 (permalink)
    Go to Control Pannel/Sounds & Audio Devices/Audio and look at what you have setup as your audio device input and all that.
    Did you disable your other sound card?
    And you may want to try to delete your aud.ini file, and reopen sonar allowing it to reset up your audio configuration (do this last).

I don't think your problem is Sonar it's something else, you don't need to reinstall or anything like that, if you do ever need to reinstall it shouldn't be a problem your audio should be saved, but just for safe measure, if i were in your shoes every week i'd save all your audio and picture data files into an external hd, CD, DVD to be sure in case your computer crashes like it did before.

Comp: ASUS P5KC/ Gforce 8500 GT/Q6600 Intel Quad Core/320G+320G+1TB HD/ 2GB DDR3 RAM/
    Programs: SHS4/Ampeg SVX/Reason 3.0
    Sound: M-Audio Profire 2626/M-Audio Octane/M-audio Oxygen 61/
    Plugins: Waves / Wavelab/
    Paul Rodriguez
    Sloom
    RE: PLS HELP: Driver issue? 2007/02/12 15:09:01 (permalink)
    It's good to get to know your Device Manager! And if Paulrodriguez doesn't mind, more specifically: Control Panel>Sounds and Audio Devices... look for the Device Manager button. Then a window opens up and shows the list of all your devices for audio. Scroll down and highlight the one you're after, and Enable it. And make it your default device for audio.

Next go into Sonar and get through assigning your Audio Devices. You do ASIO- that's cake. Done!

You may have known this, but hey, just checking. I am not PC-friendly, so I got lost. And again, just a reiteration...

-the Grubs

paulrodriguez22
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 197
    RE: PLS HELP: Driver issue? 2007/02/12 17:37:41 (permalink)
    Thanks sloom, i don't take any offense: we all explain things differently due to many factors. Whatever helps the person to make music in the long run is great by me.

Comp: ASUS P5KC/ Gforce 8500 GT/Q6600 Intel Quad Core/320G+320G+1TB HD/ 2GB DDR3 RAM/
    Programs: SHS4/Ampeg SVX/Reason 3.0
    Sound: M-Audio Profire 2626/M-Audio Octane/M-audio Oxygen 61/
    Plugins: Waves / Wavelab/
    Paul Rodriguez
    Sloom
    RE: PLS HELP: Driver issue? 2007/02/16 14:40:24 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: paulrodriguez22

Thanks sloom, i don't take any offense: we all explain things differently due to many factors. Whatever helps the person to make music in the long run is great by me.

Hey, you know, I'm here to chime in.

-the Grubs

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1