Helpful ReplyPLZ HELP! Need to Create INS DEF within the INS...?? YAMAHA MOXf8

Author
catman
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7
2017/08/13 21:25:43 (permalink)

PLZ HELP! Need to Create INS DEF within the INS...?? YAMAHA MOXf8

I have been using Sonar/cakewalk for years but ALWAYS before w/a ROLAND keyboard.

Now because the FA08 caused much grief dropping tracks to my own midi files, I have had to switch to the Yamaha.

I imported the MOTIF definitions as there is none for the MOXf8.  The MOTIF only has 3 banks of presets and the MOXf8 has 9.

HOW DO I DO THIS??  I am NOT a computer junkie, have very little tech knowledge. I Only know how to use Sonar Artist to create the songs we perform.  CAN ANYONE PLEASE HELP ME?  

I wrote to Cakewalk and they do not respond, after a couple of weeks of pulling my hair out.  My old XP80 is dying, and the parts are no longer available to fix it, and we have gigs, and about 500 songs that I have to get switched over to the MOXf8 as quickly as possible. It seems that Roland and everything ever associated with it has gone downhill.  I dont want to have to put the money out for CUBASE, and I hear it's hard to work with.  And I'm TOO OLD FOR THIS sh*t

CWHS7.0.1  32bit OS  Windows 7 Home Premium SP1   3GB Ram  Pentium(R) Dual Core CPU    Conexant High Definition Smart Audio 221    Roland FA-08 Workstation, Roland MC-80
soens
Max Output Level: -23.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5154
Brando
Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2776
Re: PLZ HELP! Need to Create INS DEF within the INS...?? YAMAHA MOXf8 2017/08/14 10:46:51 (permalink)
catman
 It seems that Roland and everything ever associated with it has gone downhill.  I dont want to have to put the money out for CUBASE, and I hear it's hard to work with.  And I'm TOO OLD FOR THIS sh*t

Why the not-so veiled threat to "leave" for Cubase? I don't think it's reasonable to expect Cakewalk to give you phone support for setting up an Instrument Definition for a Yamaha synth. Maybe I missed something. Also, Cakewalk hasn't been associated with Roland for several years now, and have NEVER (yet) been associated with Yamaha.
Hopefully Soens has got you on the right path - good luck. 

Brando
Cakewalk, Studio One Pro, Reaper
Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL
ASUS Prime Z370-A LGA1151, 32GB DDR4, Intel 8700K i7, 500 GB SSD, 3 x 1TB HDD, Windows 10 Pro 64
chuckebaby
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 13146
Re: PLZ HELP! Need to Create INS DEF within the INS...?? YAMAHA MOXf8 2017/08/14 11:00:22 (permalink)
I don't know much of anything related to Instrument definitions but you seemed desperate so I hope this helps.

How to create/modify Instrument definitions:
https://www.cakewalk.com/Support/Knowledge-Base/2007013272/Instrument-Definitions#Create

And here is a bunch of links on Instrument definitions from Cakewalk:
https://www.cakewalk.com/Support/Knowledge-Base/2007013272/Instrument-Definitions

Windows 8.1 X64 Sonar Platinum x64
Custom built: Asrock z97 1150 - Intel I7 4790k - 16GB corsair DDR3 1600 - PNY SSD 220GB
Focusrite Saffire 18I8 - Mackie Control

emwhy
Max Output Level: -62 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1402
Re: PLZ HELP! Need to Create INS DEF within the INS...?? YAMAHA MOXf8 2017/08/14 12:53:40 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby mettelus 2017/08/14 15:59:20
Just use the MOTIF XF  ins files, the patches are identical to the MOXF.
This link, scroll down a bit:
http://www.motifator.com/index.php/forum/viewthread/452342/#581490

The only difference is USER Bank 1 in the MOTIF is preset Bank 9 on the MOXF User Bank 2 on the MOTIF is User Bank 1 on the MOXF etc. I have both keyboards so I speak from experience. Now the Combis are totally different which may be a problem.

post edited by emwhy - 2017/08/14 14:04:53
Resonant Serpent
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 463
Re: PLZ HELP! Need to Create INS DEF within the INS...?? YAMAHA MOXf8 2017/08/14 14:51:33 (permalink)
Brando
catman
 It seems that Roland and everything ever associated with it has gone downhill.  I dont want to have to put the money out for CUBASE, and I hear it's hard to work with.  And I'm TOO OLD FOR THIS sh*t

Why the not-so veiled threat to "leave" for Cubase? I don't think it's reasonable to expect Cakewalk to give you phone support for setting up an Instrument Definition for a Yamaha synth. Maybe I missed something. Also, Cakewalk hasn't been associated with Roland for several years now, and have NEVER (yet) been associated with Yamaha.

There was a time when it was reasonable to expect Cakewalk phone support for your issues. I remember being a newb and calling them for all sorts of small things. Phone support should be expected if you're using a professional program...

A deep chesty bawl echoes from rimrock to rimrock, rolls down the mountain, and fades into the far blackness of the night. It is an outburst of wild defiant sorrow, and of contempt for all the adversities of the world. - Aldo Leopold
soens
Max Output Level: -23.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5154
Re: PLZ HELP! Need to Create INS DEF within the INS...?? YAMAHA MOXf8 2017/08/14 19:47:11 (permalink)
It takes a little time but you can edit any ins file to suit your particular needs. I've had to alter several and create my own over the years.
Brando
Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2776
Re: PLZ HELP! Need to Create INS DEF within the INS...?? YAMAHA MOXf8 2017/08/14 19:52:11 (permalink)
Resonant Serpent
Brando
catman

There was a time when it was reasonable to expect Cakewalk phone support for your issues. I remember being a newb and calling them for all sorts of small things. Phone support should be expected if you're using a professional program...

I prefer to have Cakewalk resources working on development of new features and fixing bugs which affect a broad user base, not trying to research something as (relatively) obscure as how to create INS files for non-Cakewalk hardware. The right place to get this type of help is on the forums where users with similar experience can help - which the OP did, only after trying the support route first.
Cakewalk takes a lot of (much deserved) heat for their (lack of) support - this is one of those times where I don't think it is warranted.

Brando
Cakewalk, Studio One Pro, Reaper
Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL
ASUS Prime Z370-A LGA1151, 32GB DDR4, Intel 8700K i7, 500 GB SSD, 3 x 1TB HDD, Windows 10 Pro 64
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1