PRV selection frustration

Author
jkoseattle
Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 556
2017/09/04 15:21:13 (permalink)

PRV selection frustration

It seems really obvious to me that when I selected a group of notes in PRV, that the handles for manipulating the group as a whole could be much, much simpler. 

Say for example I have a passage that consists of a string of 20 notes of very short duration. If I lasso that passage to select all 20 notes, each individual note changes color to show it is selected. But if I'm zoomed out at all, the color change of those tiny notes will be very difficult to see. Frequently I migt select a clip in Track View, then switch to PRV where those notes are already selected, but it's so hard to tell that I will forget a group is selected, change a single note, which inadvertently changes all the selected notes, and this mistake occurs because it's so hard to tell what's selected. Or, often I find myself clicking off a selection and re-selecting, just because I can't tell what's selected. More critically, though, once selected it can be very difficult to then drag the selection around, or to change the velocity of all notes in selection, as I have to choose a single note within the selection to grab to drag the entire group. This too often means a lot of zomming in, for no other purpose than getting any one of the selected notes to be large enough so that I can position the cursor in juuuuust the right spot to change the cursor icon to the four pointed arrow so I can drag, or the bars so I can change velocity. When the notes are so small, a single pixel off and I'll choose the wrong action on the selection, or else I'll accidentally click on the note itself, un-selecting the rest of the group. Grrrr!

The solution seems obvious: When multiple notes are selected in PRV, Sonar should draw a box around the selection to make it obvious where the selection is, and also make it easy to then perform actions on the selection as a whole. 

I've never suggested this because it has seemed such an obvious improvement that I've always thought "I don't need to suggest that, that's surely going to be in the next version...." So I'm suggesting it now.

Sonar Version: Platinum  
Audio Interface: M-Audio Delta
Computer: Dell i5 3.1 GHz, 12Gb RAM, Windows 10 64-bit
Soft Synths: EastWest PLAY Symphonic Orchestra
MIDI Controllers: M-Audio 2x2 MidiSport Anniv Edition
Settings: 16-Bit, Sample Rate 44.1k, ASIO Buffer Size 128-1024, Record/Playback I/O Buffers play:256k, rec: 64k, Total Round Trip Latency 48 ms  
Check out my work here

3 Replies Related Threads

Zargg
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 10666
    Re: PRV selection frustration 2017/09/04 15:36:16 (permalink)
    Hi. I like the idea about having SONAR (better) visually show selected notes in PRV.
    All the best.

Ken Nilsen
    Zargg
    BBZ
    Win 10 Pro X64, Cakewalk by Bandlab, SPlat X64, AMD AM3+ fx-8320, 16Gb RAM, RME Ucx (+ ARC), Tascam FW 1884, M-Audio Keystation 61es, *AKAI MPK Pro 25, *Softube Console1, Alesis DM6 USB, Maschine MkII
    Laptop setup: Win 10 X64, i5 2.4ghz, 8gb RAM, 320gb 7200 RPM HD, Focusrite Solo, + *

Steve_Karl
    Max Output Level: -50 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2534
    Re: PRV selection frustration 2017/09/04 22:16:28 (permalink)
    More well defined, and less pastel colors might help.

Steve Karl
    https://soundcloud.com/steve_karl
    SPLAT 2017.01
    jkoseattle
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 556
    Re: PRV selection frustration 2017/09/11 14:21:52 (permalink)
    Steve_Karl
    More well defined, and less pastel colors might help.

Oh yes. Also, have an option to Remove All Gradients. 

Sonar Version: Platinum  
    Audio Interface: M-Audio Delta
    Computer: Dell i5 3.1 GHz, 12Gb RAM, Windows 10 64-bit
    Soft Synths: EastWest PLAY Symphonic Orchestra
    MIDI Controllers: M-Audio 2x2 MidiSport Anniv Edition
    Settings: 16-Bit, Sample Rate 44.1k, ASIO Buffer Size 128-1024, Record/Playback I/O Buffers play:256k, rec: 64k, Total Round Trip Latency 48 ms  
    Check out my work here
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1