Max Output Level: -57 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1819
2008/09/30 09:54:10 (permalink)

PSA: Power supply actual requirements

Every so often a user asks "How much power supply do I need for my DAW?"

The answers are always 500+ watts, but in reality, your PC is using way less
http://www.anandtech.com/casecoolingpsus/showdoc.aspx?i=3413

Their midrange example:
AMD Phenom X4 9850 BE, 4GB Memory, AMD 790X Chipset, ATI Radeon HD 3870X2, an optical drive, and two hard drives.

Consumes 341W at full load. Swap that overpowered video card (130W by itself) out for a fanless and more than adequate setup, and you're pulling less than 250W at full load.

Their high end example:
Intel Core 2 Extreme QX6850, 4GB Memory, NVIDIA 780i Chipset, NVIDIA GeForce 8800 Ultra SLI, an optical drive, and four hard drives.

Consumes 544W at full load. Again, swap that tremendous video setup out and save about 343W for a full load draw that still remains under 250W at full load. In fact it draws less than the Phenom system because the CPU requires less power!

The public service announcement:
Buy a high quality, name brand power supply that meets your needs and don't listen to the 1000W crowd. Spend the money on a faster processor and memory, your DAW will thank you for it.

Homepage:
The World of Wogg

3 Replies Related Threads

Beagle
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 50621
    RE: PSA: Power supply actual requirements 2008/09/30 10:32:46 (permalink)
    wogg - this is very good information and I applaud you for posting it. however, I just wanted to point out that I wouldn't try to go with the MINIMUM possible wattage for a new build. In the engineering world (of which I'm a part, and IIRC, so are you), you never design a system to minimum specs because of tolerance stackups, transient possibilites and component degradation over time.

for example, on your mid-range example with a fanless video card using less power consumption than the high end Radeon, you're stating that you'd pull less than 250W at full load. I would not recommend getting a 250W power supply for that system, but I'd go with something at least 280W or 300W just to make sure that all transients and time degradation of components don't leave me out in the dark during a critical time. the difference in price between a 250W power supply and a 300W power supply is really neglible when considering the safety margin you're allowing yourself for those extra few watts.

so while I completely agree with you that it is advisable to get a lower wattage power supply than all the hyped up home builders would recommend, I also would not drop to the minimum specs required for full load, but leave a little bit of "breathing room"

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    wogg
    Max Output Level: -57 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1819
    RE: PSA: Power supply actual requirements 2008/09/30 10:46:59 (permalink)
    Good points and absolutely true.

For example, hard drives spike to 3 or 4 times their steady state current draw at spin up, so a big drive array could kill a minimum rated power supply pretty easily. However, good luck finding a 250W ATX+12V supply these days

I'd go with the market price point. Right now most manufacturers are pushing 500W supplies, so those are likely to be well priced. However, if you're running a good 350+ watt supply with the proper connections and are looking to upgrade motherboard and processor but are keeping a modest drive array and video card... you needn't worry about dropping cash on fancy pants high power supply. Also, later in the article they point out that peak efficiency and noise levels for temp/load controlled fans need to be balanced as well, pushing the best choice for a 250W loaded computer to the 400-500W range.

Homepage:
    The World of Wogg

Beagle
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 50621
    RE: PSA: Power supply actual requirements 2008/09/30 11:09:48 (permalink)
    Yes, also very good points and I agree! the 400W-500W supplies (complete with ATX+12 ) are good price points and would be an excellent choice for a system pulling ~250W at full load.

and while I also advocate having a decent video card with some dedicated memory, I also agree it's not necessary to have a 130W+ video card for a DAW unless you're gaming on it also! I think a fanless 128M or 256M video card will do a great job for a DAW and will consume less power and allow the builder to purchase a more reasonable power supply.

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1