PSYN-tology 1 [Echoes]

Author
b rock
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 8717
2004/07/30 21:10:06 (permalink)

PSYN-tology 1 [Echoes]

OK, as promised, this is the first installment in a series of PSYN mini-tutorials which will try to demonstrate various programming techniques by deconstructing PSYN patches. I'll keep the subject line in the form of PSYN-tology [tutorial number][patch] to ease searching later, as I hope this will become a long-running series. Enough BS; let's dig in. Fire up P5 and load the Echoes patch from the downloadable 128 presets package available from Cakewalk.

At first glance, it's a fairly simple patch: two oscillators, two filters in series, and an amplitude envelope. The key to this one is the mode button between the oscillators. Notice it's set to Sync. This means that Osc 2 (or 4) is slaved to Osc 1 (or 3). This usually results in a 'thicker' sounding, harmonically rich patch if the core pitches of the oscillators are the same or close in pitch. But here you'll notice that the slave osc is set to +3 octaves while the master is at -5 octaves.

So what does that mean? For a technical discussion, go here. But the net effect is that as this low frequency waveform crosses zero (repeats it's waveform), it restarts Osc 2, resulting in a choppy, echo-like sound.

First, click off Osc 1. Now you hear the main oscillator sound provided by Osc 2 (as run through the filters and the EG. More on this later ...). Now enable Osc 1 again and increment the octave switch. The 'echoes' increase their 'delay speed' until you eventualy reach +3 octaves: a classic hard sync sound. Perhaps it would be a good idea to disable Unison (3 oscillators per note) and double-click Detune to hear this better, as the two blur the concept a bit. Also, changing the actual notes played changes the relationship here, increasing speed with pitch. You can't play too low with this patch due to the filter setup. (More later ...). One final experiment: disable the Keys switch for Osc 1. With the master now disengaged from your KB (and outputting a static pitch), the 'delay time' become static, too.

The filters are setup up in a serial fashion. Think of filters as a flood gate. With the Cutoff Frequency completely clockwise, the gates are wide open. You're hearing all the harmonics output by you choice of waveform; in this case, not many with a Sine wave. As you back off the CF a bit, you're actually hearing less of the waveform. This is the heart of subtractive synthesis. Now here you have two floodgates in a row: the first is a Highpass filter set to 4186.8 Hz. It opens top to bottom: high frequencies pass, lower ones are choked. The sound meets the second gate: a lowpass filter with the CF set to 4522.5 Hz, which is slightly higher than the first. This allows sound to pass from bottom to top, and serves here to shave off some high aliasing-type clicky sound and almost create a narrow Bandpass area for frequencies to peek through the two gates. This results in the 'ethereal' sound demonstrated here. Try disabling one or the other to hear the differences.

The only EG used hear affect the amplitude (volume envelope). The Delay, Sustain, and Slope are effectively out of the mix in this one. The Attack is slowed to provide a gradual fade-in. The Decay and long release time work with the slow release shape to reinforce the echo simulation. The Amount is set for the maximum effect on your waveform.

You can skip all this and make similar sounds by using an LFO or a repeating envelope shape. For the first, disable Osc 1 and enable LFO 2 (bonus question: find out why I chose LFO 2 rather than LFO 1 to detail settings). Bring the Depth to 100% and the Speed to .7 Hz. (Bonus question #2: Is this setting also technically correct?). Set the Modulation Dest1 to Lev-All or Level-02 and bring up the Depth control there. Almost the same sound, but subtly different. [Edit: Actually, the correct speed is closer to what's labeled as .6 Hz. in LFO 2, and select a Square waveform for the most distinct comparison.]

Now disable LFO2 and go to the Amplitude Envelope [EG A]. Keep the Amount at 100% and drop the rest of the sliders. Change the Set from Normal to Repeat [Norm to Rep]. Now play a note and gradually increase the Decay slider to about 252.6 ms. Again, quite like the sync setup.

So why go through all the trouble with Sync? For one, in the LFO and EG examples, the 'delay time' is static, but the main reason is to add yet another color to your sonic palette. This patch (or tutorial) really doesn't scratch the surface of the variety of tone colors you can achieve with oscillator sync, but hopefully this little discussion gets you curious about the possibilities.

[OK, so there's number one. It was straight through, without editing, so it might be a bit rambling. Too technical? Not technical enough? Errors traded for simplicity? Not what you expected? Too dry? No comic relief? Too long? Not enough detail? Favorite patch analysis request? Want to build a lead line from scratch, DA? Keep those cards and letters coming. <g>]

Edit: First of a (searchable) series, and I misspell the name of the synth in the subject line. I'm firing my proofreader! Oh, that's me ...
< Message edited by b rock -- 11/5/2004 10:31:53 PM >

12 Replies Related Threads

Far Left Corner
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 184
    RE: PYSN-tology 1 [Echoes] 2004/07/30 22:14:02 (permalink)
    Outstanding, more comments and questions after I get home and run through this excellent tutorial/class!!!!

Yippeeeee!

Thanks!
    rjt
    Max Output Level: -70 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1017
    RE: PYSN-tology 1 [Echoes] 2004/07/30 23:29:55 (permalink)
    First...THANKS! I appreciate the effort here. Always willing to learn more about programming and this is a good tutorial. I thought the technical explaination of Syncing was a little, well, technical.... I forget where... I think it was in the Arturia Mini-MoogV manual, there was the best explaination of it I had read.... otherwise, the article was good. I appreciate having something hands on to read, listen to and learn.

Take Care

Talk is cheap; supply outweighs the demand.

Light travels faster than sound, that's why some people look bright before you hear them speak.

Jerry Jones bought the Dallas Cowboys, Andy Reid owns them!!

Digital Aura
    Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5118
    RE: PYSN-tology 1 [Echoes] 2004/07/31 08:51:10 (permalink)
    WHOA>>>what happened! I check in and there's 3 mini tutorials already!!! B you are one heckuva Mad Dog!
    mike85021
    Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1532
    RE: PYSN-tology 1 [Echoes] 2004/08/01 13:30:01 (permalink)
    Boink!

Mikey T
    Eclectica de Esoterium
  • mike85021 @cox.net
    Just say NO!
    Digital Aura
    RE: PYSN-tology 1 [Echoes] 2004/08/01 14:54:00 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: b rock

... The key to this one is the mode button between the oscillators. Notice it's set to Sync. This means that Osc 2 (or 4) is slaved to Osc 1 (or 3). This usually results in a 'thicker' sounding, harmonically rich patch if the core pitches of the oscillators are the same or close in pitch. But here you'll notice that the slave osc is set to +3 octaves while the master is at -5 octaves.

So what does that mean? For a technical discussion, go here. This was a cool link. Very helpful in this tutorial. Nice addition. But the net effect is that as this low frequency waveform crosses zero (repeats it's waveform), it restarts Osc 2, resulting in a choppy, echo-like sound.

First, click off Osc 1. Now you hear the main oscillator sound provided by Osc 2 (as run through the filters and the EG. More on this later ...). Now enable Osc 1 again and increment the octave switch. The 'echoes' increase their 'delay speed' until you eventualy reach +3 octaves: a classic hard sync sound. Perhaps it would be a good idea to disable Unison (3 oscillators per note) and double-click Detune to hear this better, as the two blur the concept a bit. Are you going to explain what Unison and Detune are?? Also, changing the actual notes played changes the relationship here, increasing speed with pitch. You can't play too low with this patch due to the filter setup. (More later ...). One final experiment: disable the Keys switch for Osc 1. With the master now disengaged from your KB (and outputting a static pitch), the 'delay time' become static, too.

The filters are setup up in a serial fashion. Think of filters as a flood gate. With the Cutoff Frequency completely clockwise, the gates are wide open. You're hearing all the harmonics output by you choice of waveform; in this case, not many with a Sine wave. As you back off the CF a bit, you're actually hearing less of the waveform. This is the heart of subtractive synthesis. Now here you have two floodgates in a row: the first is a Highpass filter set to 4186.8 Hz. It opens top to bottom: high frequencies pass, lower ones are choked. The sound meets the second gate: a lowpass filter with the CF set to 4522.5 Hz, which is slightly higher than the first. This allows sound to pass from bottom to top, and serves here to shave off some high aliasing-type clicky sound what does aliasing sound like? Can we produce it? and almost create a narrow Bandpass area for frequencies to peek through the two gates. This results in the 'ethereal' sound demonstrated here. Try disabling one or the other to hear the differences.

The only EG used hear affect the amplitude (volume envelope). The Delay, Sustain, and Slope are effectively out of the mix in this one. The Attack is slowed to provide a gradual fade-in. The Decay and long release time work with the slow release shape to reinforce the echo simulation. The Amount is set for the maximum effect on your waveform.

You can skip all this and make similar sounds by using an LFO or a repeating envelope shape. For the first, disable Osc 1 and enable LFO 2 (bonus question: find out why I chose LFO 2 rather than LFO 1 to detail settings). HEY QUIT IT...I have NO idea...quit taunting us and tell us! Bring the Depth to 100% and the Speed to .7 Hz. (Bonus question #2: Is this setting also technically correct?). How the heck do I know!?! B-Rock!!! TELL! Set the Modulation Dest1 to Lev-All or Level-02 and bring up the Depth control there. Almost the same sound, but subtly different. I need more help on modulation... what are all these things??
    Now disable LFO2 and go to the Amplitude Envelope [EG A]. Keep the Amount at 100% and drop the rest of the sliders. Change the Set from Normal to Repeat [Norm to Rep]. Now play a note and gradually increase the Decay slider to about 252.6 ms. Again, quite like the sync setup.

So why go through all the trouble with Sync? For one, in the LFO and EG examples, the 'delay time' is static, but the main reason is to add yet another color to your sonic palette. This patch (or tutorial) really doesn't scratch the surface of the variety of tone colors you can achieve with oscillator sync, but hopefully this little discussion gets you curious about the possibilities. Great...now Ive got more questions than I had when I began. LOL
    [OK, so there's number one. It was straight through, without editing, so it might be a bit rambling. Too technical? Not technical enough? Errors traded for simplicity? Not what you expected? Too dry? No comic relief? Too long? Not enough detail? Favorite patch analysis request? Want to build a lead line from scratch, DA? Keep those cards and letters coming. <g>]

Okay this was simply great....a teaser...but great nonetheless. B-rock, I had no idea you could this much stuff in so many ways with the given controls. Truly, you are the master. I was reading the technical link you gave, and all that about SLAVE and MASTER made me realize that Im your slave and you are the sound MASTER. LOL.
    I like the random patch analysis you are doing here...lets go with it. LEAD patches might come later.
    GREAT WORK...THANKS B!
    b rock
    RE: PYSN-tology 1 [Echoes] 2004/08/01 15:31:27 (permalink)
    Are you going to explain what Unison and Detune are??
    Unison adds two additional internal oscillators (for a total of three) for each MIDI note played, up to the limit of polyphony. I assume that means the polyphony limit that you set yourself in PSYN (up to 64 notes), but audibly it seems like that setting isn't the whole story. You can set polyphony to 2 notes, yet have a fuller sound with Unison on and a three note chord. Sometimes I don't hear the 'voice-stealing' taking place.

Detune spreads the pitches of those internal oscillators by some unknown amount and algorithm; my guess is at least 50 to 100 cents up & down (half to one full semitone). It only seems to affect the sound with Unison enabled. I could've sworn it was independent, but there may have been 'beating' induced elsewhere in the patches in question. [Slight difference in Fine Osc control, filter settings were sweeping, etc.] Think Superwave.
    what does aliasing sound like? Can we produce it?
    You wouldn't want to. Kind of a screechy digital distortion-like sound from improperly set brickwall filters, among other things. Look up anti-aliasing or Nyquist Frequency, if you're interested. If you want to hear something similar, disable the second filter of the Echoes patch, and see how the 2nd LP filter smooths the sound out.
    HEY QUIT IT...I have NO idea...quit taunting us and tell us! ... How the heck do I know!?! B-Rock!!! TELL!
    Not much for bonus questions, eh, DA? The answers are in PSYN-tology 6 [LFO Explained].
    I need more help on modulation... what are all these things??
    Ask, and ye shall receive. Also in PSYN-tology 6.
    Great...now Ive got more questions than I had when I began.
    Job security for me. Now if this just paid a little better ...<g>
    LEAD patches might come later.
    You're reading my mind. It might be sooner than you think. I've got to lay a little groundwork first.

Digi, thanks for all your suggestions, comments, questions, reactions, .and humor.
    posze one
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 163
    RE: PYSN-tology 1 [Echoes] 2004/08/01 15:33:14 (permalink)
    bonus question: find out why I chose LFO 2 rather than LFO 1 to detail settings). HEY QUIT IT...I have NO idea...quit taunting us and tell us!

oh , oh , oh ....let me guess.....let me guess....lfo 2 has deffert controls then lfo 1 and lfo 2 goes to osc 2 lfo1 goes to osc1 . then again i don't know nothing.noone knows anything

"New Cats Jackin Beats From Way Back
    Pay For Play Only Way To Get Them Platinum Plaques "
    b rock
    RE: PYSN-tology 1 [Echoes] 2004/08/01 17:00:12 (permalink)
    Russell, that's not correct, but you win for trying! Pick the next patch for reverse engineering, but be easy on me, please!

LFO 1 displays different Speed settings in the Tooltips than either LFO 2 or 3. The kicker is that none of the three indicate correct settings. They all function exactly the same, with identical controls, but the difficulty lies in trying to describe what your settings should be. They all display different numbers in Hertz for identical setups, and my ears tell me that those numbers aren't what's really happening there.

Don't be confused into thinking that Osc 1 and LFO 1 are linked in some way. Any oscillator can be controlled by any LFO, or EG, for that matter. The door to any oscillator opens with it's own Mod Sens LFO knob, and that door lets in all the LFOs. The LFO Modulation Depth is the door that lets out the LFO control signal to the destination displayed directly above it, and only that destination.

Where this gets even more confusing is in the Destination choices. Pitch is sent to any oscillator with it's door open. Level-All is sent to all the oscillators and controls the amplitude (loudness over time); it doesn't need a door. Level-01 through Level-04 are sent to a specific oscillator corresponding to it's number. It crawls through an open window in only one oscillator; no door needed. There's a similar setup for the PWM Destinations.

I'm going to have to find a better analogy, or devise a routing chart. Now I'm starting to confuse myself! Another tutorial, coming right up!
    fac
    Max Output Level: -51 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2427
    RE: PYSN-tology 1 [Echoes] 2004/09/10 14:07:17 (permalink)
    bonus question: find out why I chose LFO 2 rather than LFO 1 to detail settings

Whooah... I hadn't noticed the frequency readings in the LFO Speed sliders. They are totally wrong! LFO 1 says it goes up to 1000 Hz! That would be cool, if it was true.

LFO 2 and 3 supposedly go from 0 Hz to 1 Hz, but at 0.7 Hz you already have many cycles per second. And the slider scale is definitely non-linear.

I found another glitch in PSYN - when using envelope repetition to create the echoes, I found that when you use an exponential curve for a faster decay, no repetitions are heard! This doesn't happen with a linear or logarithmic decay, though.

I guess this only shows how little I have played with PSYN and how unobserving I am.

I'm just starting with these tutorials. I'm a Kinetic user but I frequently visit the P5 forum. I wanted to code my own softsynth (just the way I want it), but I barely have time to make music, so I better learn how to get the most of what I have.

I hope Cakewalk takes notice of this and updates the glitches in PSYN - having an LFO go up to 1000 Hz would kick ass - or even better, having the oscillators as modulation sources.

Well, I'm off to see the next tutorial. Thank you for sharing this.

http://facproductions.net

Lots of gear. Not enough time.
    Digital Aura
    RE: PYSN-tology 1 [Echoes] 2004/09/10 17:36:52 (permalink)
    hey...

Did you ever answer the bonus question for us B-ROCK?? WHY DID YOU USE THAT LFO??
    b rock
    RE: PYSN-tology 1 [Echoes] 2004/09/10 18:32:59 (permalink)
    Psyn-tology 6, third paragraph. It's just something to be aware of, especially when you're trying to accurately convey patch settings in tutorial form.
    strom32
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 218
    RE: PSYN-tology 1 [Echoes] 2005/06/08 17:28:15 (permalink)
    Download able presets not available?

http://forum.cakewalk.com/tm.asp?m=486979
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1