Pagefile.sys, C: drive space

Author
chamlin
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 260
2015/01/02 19:02:53 (permalink)

Pagefile.sys, C: drive space

My 167 GB SSD OS drive was starting to alert me on limited space left. So I moved my 15.9 GB pagefile.sys file (I have 16 GB RAM) to another drive and I'm looking to free up some space. Here are screenshots of my Program Files and Program Files (x86) showing what's on the C: drive for Sonar.

Questions:
1. Why is there such a big discrepancy between what I've got in the 64-bit section and the 32-bit section of Program Files. Is that normal for everyone?

2.  Is there a way to get some of that to my audio data drive? Or if better to not put it on that drive, to the drive where I've put the pagefile.sys file? If so, how?

3.  If I choose to NOT even have a pagefile.sys file, would that impact Sonar?

Thanks,
Chamlin

10 Replies Related Threads

Paul P
    Max Output Level: -48.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2685
    Re: Pagefile.sys, C: drive space 2015/01/03 00:42:44 (permalink)

You can reduce the size of your pagefile.sys.  I also have 16gb of RAM but I set my pagefile to 4 GB and I'm sure I don't ever use anywhere near that.

You can also turn off hibernation, if it isn't already (you can still sleep).  I regained 12 GB by doing that.

Sonar Platinum [2017.10], Win7U x64 sp1, Xeon E5-1620 3.6 GHz, Asus P9X79WS, 16 GB ECC, 128gb SSD, HD7950, Mackie Blackjack
    Kev999
    Max Output Level: -36 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3922
    Re: Pagefile.sys, C: drive space 2015/01/03 02:14:14 (permalink)
    You can also have more than one pagefile if you wish, each on a different drive (assuming you have more than one drive), and set them to any value as required (within limits though). But pagefiles are rarely needed these days anyway.

SonarPlatinum(22.11.0.111)|Mixbus32C(4.3.19)|DigitalPerformer(9.5.1)|Reaper(5.77)
    FractalDesign:DefineR5|i7-6850k@4.1GHz|16GB@2666MHz-DDR4|MSI:GamingProCarbonX99a|Matrox:M9148(x2)|UAD2solo(6.5.2)|W7Ult-x64-SP1
    Audient:iD22+ASP800|KRK:VXT6|+various-outboard-gear|+guitars&basses, etc.
    Having fun at work lately
    chamlin
    Re: Pagefile.sys, C: drive space 2015/01/03 02:29:22 (permalink)
    • How does one see whether pagefile.sys is even being used?
    • And does sonar 64-bit load the approximately 10 GB on all systems? Can some of that be relocated?
    Kev999
    Max Output Level: -36 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3922
    Re: Pagefile.sys, C: drive space 2015/01/03 03:10:26 (permalink)
    chamlin
    • How does one see whether pagefile.sys is even being used?

Windows Task Manager

SonarPlatinum(22.11.0.111)|Mixbus32C(4.3.19)|DigitalPerformer(9.5.1)|Reaper(5.77)
    FractalDesign:DefineR5|i7-6850k@4.1GHz|16GB@2666MHz-DDR4|MSI:GamingProCarbonX99a|Matrox:M9148(x2)|UAD2solo(6.5.2)|W7Ult-x64-SP1
    Audient:iD22+ASP800|KRK:VXT6|+various-outboard-gear|+guitars&basses, etc.
    Having fun at work lately
    bitflipper
    01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
    • Total Posts : 26036
    Re: Pagefile.sys, C: drive space 2015/01/03 08:19:21 (permalink)
    You don't want to eliminate the paging device altogether, for two reasons. First, Windows uses it for its own purposes; second, it's a safety measure just in case you ever do run out of physical RAM (it can happen, even with 16GB). If the latter scenario ever does happen, Windows does not handle that situation gracefully and will crash on you.

Moving things out of the Program Files tree can be a headache. Some programs may stop working correctly, unable to find file dependencies. It'll take forever to figure out which things can be safely moved and which one's can't. Better to leave that stuff in place if you can.

The biggest disk-eater is Windows itself. You've probably got a bunch of old files from Windows updates that can be deleted. Temporary files also tend to pile up over time. I see you've got 6GB's worth of virtual machines on C: that you should be able to move to the other drive.

Check your virtual instruments. Many sample-based instruments want to store their libraries on C: and it's easier to let them rather than fight them. But they can all be relocated. Even little 'ol Dimension Pro takes up a lot of space, as does Studio Instruments, both of which store their libraries in the Cakewalk tree by default. Maybe you have SampleTank or Kontakt, both use a lot of disk space and both can be moved.

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
    YouDontHasToCallMeJohnson
    Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 703
    Re: Pagefile.sys, C: drive space 2015/01/03 10:40:40 (permalink)

As Bit said: the pagefile is good to keep. One on the OS disk is required to create error files. Set the pagefile on the OS "disk" to the minimum suggested, and set the pagefile on the 2nd disk to system managed.

Also adjust the disk allocation for system restore. I have restore OFF for all but the OS disk.

Do a complete disk clean which includes deleting the windows update files (can be 600m) and delete all system restore points but the most recent. This can remove 4+ gig.
    chamlin
    Re: Pagefile.sys, C: drive space 2015/01/03 22:48:38 (permalink)
    YouDontHasToCallMeJohnsonAs Bit said: the pagefile is good to keep. One on the OS disk is required to create error files. Set the pagefile on the OS "disk" to the minimum suggested, and set the pagefile on the 2nd disk to system managed.

Also adjust the disk allocation for system restore. I have restore OFF for all but the OS disk.

Do a complete disk clean which includes deleting the windows update files (can be 600m) and delete all system restore points but the most recent. This can remove 4+ gig.

Did the disk cleanup and gained 1.63 GB. Not bad for a days work in the salt mines! Thanks.

Didn't know there was a pagefile on the OS since I had moved it to an alternative disk. How do you find that?

The pagefile on the 2nd disk is system managed...thus it's over 16 GB. I don't really care since it's on a drive dedicated to...well...nothing. But Bitflipper's idea...
    chamlin
    Re: Pagefile.sys, C: drive space 2015/01/03 22:51:38 (permalink)
    bitflipperYou don't want to eliminate the paging device altogether, for two reasons. First, Windows uses it for its own purposes; second, it's a safety measure just in case you ever do run out of physical RAM (it can happen, even with 16GB). If the latter scenario ever does happen, Windows does not handle that situation gracefully and will crash on you.

Moving things out of the Program Files tree can be a headache. Some programs may stop working correctly, unable to find file dependencies. It'll take forever to figure out which things can be safely moved and which one's can't. Better to leave that stuff in place if you can.

The biggest disk-eater is Windows itself. You've probably got a bunch of old files from Windows updates that can be deleted. Temporary files also tend to pile up over time. I see you've got 6GB's worth of virtual machines on C: that you should be able to move to the other drive.

Check your virtual instruments. Many sample-based instruments want to store their libraries on C: and it's easier to let them rather than fight them. But they can all be relocated. Even little 'ol Dimension Pro takes up a lot of space, as does Studio Instruments, both of which store their libraries in the Cakewalk tree by default. Maybe you have SampleTank or Kontakt, both use a lot of disk space and both can be moved.

Okay, I'll leave the program files stuff alone. My life is complex enough. :)

But the virtual machine idea is possible. I'll have to look into what that would entail. Would be nice to clear out the space though. Thanks!
    YouDontHasToCallMeJohnson
    Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 703
    Re: Pagefile.sys, C: drive space 2015/01/04 00:59:59 (permalink)
    how did you move it?  
    Windows usually does not play well for this type of behavior.
    control panel
    system and security
    system advanced
    system settings
    advanced tab
    performance
       settings
         advanced
      virtual memory
        change
    uncheck automatic  
    for OS drive    custom size:  300 / 300    
        SET (gotta click set)
    select second disk   
    system managed    
       SET     OK,OK, OK,....
    LKane
    Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 314
    Re: Pagefile.sys, C: drive space 2015/01/12 19:06:02 (permalink)
    bitflipper
    You don't want to eliminate the paging device altogether, for two reasons. First, Windows uses it for its own purposes; second, it's a safety measure just in case you ever do run out of physical RAM (it can happen, even with 16GB). If the latter scenario ever does happen, Windows does not handle that situation gracefully and will crash on you.

Bitflipper, I've been intrigued by your signature for years...what does it mean?-

There are three kinds of people in the world, those who are good at math, and those who are not.

PC pentium 955 extreme dual core 3.9GHz, Win xp64 8GB ram, S8.3, Lynx Two C and Two A, Quad Eight and Langevin modules, great wife.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1