Pan in Dimension Pro

Author
marklchambers
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 30
2011/08/17 20:16:22 (permalink)

Pan in Dimension Pro

Using dimpro 1.5 and Sonar X1 C Essential.  No problems with installation.  No problems with sounds.  Just need dimpro to do something and I can't figure it out.  Here's what I want to do.  I would like for a particular channel to pan from left to right.  I "insert series of controllers" and insert controller 10 to go from 0 to 127 over the course of a few measures.

The DimPro manual indicates that if you want to pan from left to right, right click on the pan button and do the midi learn process.  I've done that ad nauseum.  The best I can get is for the pan button to shift to the left channel at about 45 (on that scale of 0-127) and it stays there.  Or I've managed to get it to the right channel at about 90.  This is after hitting the set min and set max buttons.  The manual indicates that it will read the CC10 instructions from a midi track...or you can go through the envelope generator.  of course, nothing is explained very well (or at least to my level of ignorance).  SO...

how can I get DimPro to pan from left to right in a channel containing CC10 instructions?  I've turned on autopan under FX.  I've turned on everything possible.  I know it will do it because when I first started fooling with this, it worked.  I have no idea what I did any differently than what I've been doing for the last several hours.  Thanks in advance for the help.

6 Replies Related Threads

Fog
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 12302
    Re:Pan in Dimension Pro 2011/08/17 23:44:20 (permalink)

there are a few ways to automate it.. as you said midi learn.. what device are you using ? it should pick it up .. or ACT   (or say automap if it's a novation thing)

with regard to automation you have a few ways to approach it.. turn on read / write automation (you'll see the "R" and "W")

where you have DP listed as an instrument.. there is a "clips" drop down.. that also has automate in that and 1 of the options is "pan".. i'd say that is better in the sense of the SFZ within a DP prog may alter panning.. that is more a global thing for a channel

marklchambers
    Re:Pan in Dimension Pro 2011/08/19 16:15:53 (permalink)
    Thanks, Fog, but input device is not the issue and read/write automation is on. Within the event list of this particular track, you see the notes and also the controller events. For example, there is one event for controller 7, setting the volume to 60. Then, across about five or six measures is a series of controllers...all of them CC10...setting pan from 0 to 127. If I were to assign this track to a channel in Cakewalk TTS, as the track plays through those measures, it reads the CC10 events and pans slowly from full left to full right. So, perhaps I didn't state the question clearly enough at first, but here it is: what do I have to do to get DimPro to read the CC10 events in a track and pan from full left to full right? It has nothing to do with input. It has everything to do with simply reading CC10 events in a track and acting accordingly. I don't mean to sound ungrateful for any responses, I'm just frustrated. Cakewalk TTS, Cakewalk Sound Center, EMU-Pro, all SI instruments respond to midi controllers without any special tweaking...and DimPro says it will, too...if you know whatever the secret is. I hope someone can tell me the secret. Thanks.
    AT
    • Total Posts : 10654
    Re:Pan in Dimension Pro 2011/08/19 17:53:00 (permalink)
    There might be constraints in the SFZ file.  Check that.

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    marklchambers
    Re:Pan in Dimension Pro 2011/08/19 18:30:21 (permalink)
    thanks, AT. I'll check that. I should point out that Fog mentioned that as well...and I overlooked that point. Hope you guys are right.
    marklchambers
    Re:Pan in Dimension Pro 2011/08/25 16:43:06 (permalink)
    Stumbled on the solution. I've been trying to put the pan left to right information in the track with the actual music, figuring it's sending note on/off information and CC7, it should read CC10. HOWEVER, it wouldn't. So here's what I stumbled on: When you insert a synth, a new track is created with the name of that synth and the instance (in this case the track name is Dimension Pro 1...and it corresponds to the synth you just entered). Double click on that track so that it expands. Click on the "Clips" menu inside that track. Pull down to "automation" and then to "pan". A red line appears. Double click on the solid line and it will create handles. Move the handles around to achieve the pan that you desire. You'll be able to see the measures, so there's no problem getting to the passage you want. It's easier to do than to explain. I'm sure most people already know how to do that, but I didn't...and nobody stepped forward with the information, so here it is. I should point out that all of the other soft synths that I have respond to CC10 0-127 entries in the track containing the note on/off information. This is something indigenous to DimPro...although you can do it with any soft synth if that's how you want to handle it. Thanks to those who responded.
    AT
    • Total Posts : 10654
    Re:Pan in Dimension Pro 2011/08/25 17:45:06 (permalink)
    Mark,

ah, sometimes the simplest explaination.  It is really about your daw, not dimpro, however.  If you have the channel tools in SONAR, it might give you better results than just plain ole pan.  It can be kinda funky in SONAR, hense the addition of channel tools.  You might find that freezing the track, turning it to a mono track, and using pan will work.  I do that all the time.

@

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1