Paralell Busses/ Aux tracks

Author
thedukewestern
Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 387
2017/09/13 13:28:12 (permalink)

Paralell Busses/ Aux tracks

I'm wondering if there's a latency control that I'm not familiar with that perhaps someone else is.   

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0eL2-I1Hf1Q

Here's a video of Graham demonstrating a technique of what Im talking about, minus the problem I often get

Whenever I "send" audio to another aux track or bus with the intention of parallel processing, I get phasing.  Lets say I smash it with a comp and saturation,  I always get artifacts.  

Yesterday I went to parallel process a mono drum track.  I sent it to a new aux, and put izotope trash on the aux.  I got the parallel sound I wanted but when I went to mix it in with the dry original I got obvious phasing.   I then moved the same processor over to the original dry track and just adjusted back the dry wet mix to get the sound I was after, and did not get the phasing.

It was a few years ago that I actually gave up on the "using another channel to parallel process via a send" technique, and started just using the mix control on a plugin for this same issue.  I just figured Id try it again.. however with the same results?  Phasing.

What am I doing wrong?

Be the first one who thinks that you can

Sonar Platinum, Windows 7 64 bit - clean install January 2016, Focusrite Pro 40, Outboard Pres, Native Instruments Komplete, Izotope, PSP, Melodyne, Vegetarian

2 Replies Related Threads

bitflipper
    01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
    • Total Posts : 26036
    Re: Paralell Busses/ Aux tracks 2017/09/13 15:49:23 (permalink)
    Normally, SONAR transparently handles plugin latency so you don't have to worry about it. However, that can only work when the plugin's delay is both static and known. Not all plugins qualify.

In particular, filters introduce delays that the DAW cannot compensate for. That's why you never hear anyone touting the benefits of parallel EQ. (Yes, some EQs claim that capability, but they're actually reducing the filters' gain and/or Q, not actually doing parallel processing.) Consequently, any other type of plugin that includes non-linear-phase filters  (e.g. distortion, chorus) is also subject to the same problem. 

Try placing Trash inline instead of on a parallel bus and using its Mix slider to balance the effected and dry signals. That should solve your phasing issue.

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
    thedukewestern
    Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 387
    Re: Paralell Busses/ Aux tracks 2017/09/13 16:34:46 (permalink)
    bitflipper
    Try placing Trash inline instead of on a parallel bus and using its Mix slider to balance the effected and dry signals. That should solve your phasing issue.

Thanks bitflipper - Great reply and a lot to think about - Thats actually what I did by adjusting the mix control

Be the first one who thinks that you can

Sonar Platinum, Windows 7 64 bit - clean install January 2016, Focusrite Pro 40, Outboard Pres, Native Instruments Komplete, Izotope, PSP, Melodyne, Vegetarian
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1