Passion Lost on Vocals In Production - What is the cause?

Author
ruralrocker2010
Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 616
2010/10/19 10:15:22 (permalink)

Passion Lost on Vocals In Production - What is the cause?

Guys,

I've struggled with something for awhile. That is, maintaining the vibrance or passion expressed during recording all the way through production.

I've had a couple of people who watched me record say that the live instance sounded better and that my passion isn't captured.

Now, I show you the most recent example. Let me say first, I was actually very happy with how this came out, but I do admit, through some of the throaty parts, it seems to thin out and be a mere reflection of what was being done rather than a reproduction of it. So I'm not sure the cause.

Let's talk gear,

For vocals, which is all I'm really concerned about here, I have a bluebird condenser mic, 4-500 dollar range going to an ART, Studio V3, going to an emu0404 then into Sonar Producer 8.5. I put a Sonitus eq and compressor on the vox channel. Not super hard compression, but a fair amount. In the eq, (from memory of the graphic) I think that I dropped a little at 800 and popped 1k and 5k. I wanted a live feel.

Here's the recording. Is anyone willing to take a listen and help me out?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDYVbecw_jI

9 Replies Related Threads

AT
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 10654
    Re:Passion Lost on Vocals In Production - What is the cause? 2010/10/19 11:05:36 (permalink)
    Passion is a personal thing.  I didnt'hear anything particularly "wrong" with the performance. 

Technically it is pretty good.  The vox seemed a little bass shy - maybe using a high-pass filter to roll out some of the low end might give some headroom to what is there.  Maybe a little high-end air boost, too (not to much and something above 12 khz).

Also, when you power up the sound is a bit strained.  It is hard to say exactly what listening to compressed audio on computer speakers, but if I hazarded a guess it would be over driving the ART, esp. if it is a tube-starved design.  A bit of midrange harshness, which would thin out the sound of your voice.  That is just a guess.

But I thought it was a good version of "Billie Jean."
    @

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    ruralrocker2010
    Re:Passion Lost on Vocals In Production - What is the cause? 2010/10/19 11:35:05 (permalink)

I totally agree. that's the part I'm talking about. It just thins out. Live, it doesn't sound like that. 

I've overdriven the art before and it's quite annoying...I'm still working out the gain structure on them to be useful. I added them about a 1year ago and they certainly added a lot of warmth to the sound. Not so tinny and digital anymore...but they are VERY easy to overdrive. Like I said, I'm trying to figure out the gain structure so that they are loud enough to get the full tube engaged, but not so loud they capture every click and pop or overdrive. They have a built in limiter and compressor, so that squashes it some before it even get's to the interface.
    Which leads me to my next question, how much of the overall volume be determined by the compressor? I say that because the sound jumps prolly 6db when it's on. Makes me wonder if I turned up the gain a little bit on the art and less compressor that maybe the strained part would reproduce what the live sound.

Does that makes sense?

ruralrocker2010
    Re:Passion Lost on Vocals In Production - What is the cause? 2010/10/19 11:39:05 (permalink)
    especially on the "I am the one"....very thin by comparison to everything else...

just thins right out to a thread.
    skullsession
    Max Output Level: -57.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1765
    Re:Passion Lost on Vocals In Production - What is the cause? 2010/10/19 12:17:49 (permalink)
    This sounds to me like the problem you're having is that your voice obviously thins out in that higher register.  No biggie.

This actually sounds to me like you're working the mic too much.  That is...moving away too much during the more powerful parts.

In fact, try moving closer to the mic - or just stay where you are -  to take advantage of the proximity effect on the higer register stuff.  You'll have to set up your front end levels up so that they don't peak on the loudest parts.

Using front-end hardware compression also help to keep these parts "fuller".

Just my two cents.

I LOVE that Chris Cornell version of this song....

HOOK:  Skullsessions.com  / Darwins God Album

"Without a doubt I would have far greater listening and aural skills than most of the forum members here. Not all but many I am sure....I have done more listening than most people." - Jeff Evans on how awesome Jeff Evans is.
    ruralrocker2010
    Re:Passion Lost on Vocals In Production - What is the cause? 2010/10/19 12:31:49 (permalink)
    Skull me too!  , by the way, I do move away, because I'm so gunshy of clipping. It's annoying to be in a performance that's really difficult to punch into to have to re-perform because of a clip like that.

so, let me clarify so that I understand you. I need to setup external compression so that the loudest parts are average then use a track compressor to bring the quieter parts back up and make it even through out?

If you could, please try to unpack how I might do that. I think I understand in concept what that should look like, but I'm just not sure in practice.
    skullsession
    Max Output Level: -57.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1765
    Re:Passion Lost on Vocals In Production - What is the cause? 2010/10/19 13:02:32 (permalink)
    The easiest way is to simply setup your front end so that you DON'T clip on the loudest parts while staying on the mic - to take advantage of the proximity effect.  Simple as that.

You could apply compression and or automation in the box after the fact to smooth out the performance.

I actually prefer to use hardware compression on the way in - simply because I like the way it sounds.  While doing this, I also am sure to setup the track so that I'm metering based on the LOUDEST section, not the average section.  I don't like clipping on the way in either....thus....I PEAK at about -12 on the loudest sections.  I'd REALLY have to let something crazy fly to ever clip.

Take clipping out of the equation right away by tracking lower.  Stay on the mic so that the tonal quality of the vocal doesn't change when you back off or get off axis.

HOOK:  Skullsessions.com  / Darwins God Album

"Without a doubt I would have far greater listening and aural skills than most of the forum members here. Not all but many I am sure....I have done more listening than most people." - Jeff Evans on how awesome Jeff Evans is.
    ruralrocker2010
    Re:Passion Lost on Vocals In Production - What is the cause? 2010/10/19 15:02:26 (permalink)
    awesome dude. thank you very much. I've got a couple more covers coming, so I'll post the results.
    Guitarhacker
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:Passion Lost on Vocals In Production - What is the cause? 2010/10/19 15:21:32 (permalink)
    You kinda look like Paul Jr.....

I find too that I tend to back off on the louder notes at times...allowing a weakening of my voice.... that translates the same way as a loss of energy or momentum in singing.

Usually I will do a few takes to warm up and go for it with record on the 4th one or so..... You have to stay focused and stay INTO the song or it's too easy to let the feeling slip...even for a second.

Since I sing mostly in my studio I do not have the energy feedback of the live audience pushing me. Therefore I must push myself to stay " in the moment ".

Interesting take on the song BTW..... the backing guitar reminded me of House of the Rising Sun.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    ruralrocker2010
    Re:Passion Lost on Vocals In Production - What is the cause? 2010/10/19 20:57:47 (permalink)
    hacker, 

Totally agreed about staying in the moment. It's so easy to fake. Just because you can sing the notes, sometimes you just relax into the pocket and forget that your job is to make a mark...done that.

Thanks for the compliments, all.

This is just one of those dreams, where you're like, I'll never be able to do something like that but a couple years later you're hearing your own voice belt it out. I'm very thankful for it.

I actually do HoRS on my youtube channel...
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1