PayPal, SchmayPal! - Alternatives?

Author
Rain
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 9736
2014/09/13 18:00:17 (permalink)

PayPal, SchmayPal! - Alternatives?

Having recently received my renewed (Canadian) credit card, I was asked by Paypal to update my info, including my billing address.

Though my Canadian financial institution has no issue w/ me using a US billing address as long as I am a Canadian citizen, Paypal sees things otherwise and, for security reasons*, they will not allow me to link my Canadian Paypal account to a US address.

Great... :/

Their solution -  close my account and open a new, US one w/ my US address. Which I'm not sure I'll be able to link to my Canadian bank account, because they weren't clear about that.

At any rate, I guess I shouldn't worry about that as for the time being, I can't seem to close my current account due to some pending payment authorization. Odd because the last transaction occurred 2 weeks ago. Status according to their own site: completed.

So I wrote them for a third time and I'm waiting for an update...

So I started thinking - there need to be alternatives, simple one, to transfer money from peer to peer. Online shopping isn't a big concern at this point anyway.

Any idea?

*for security reason - that was one of the expressions our agents were taught to use in call center for just about any and everything which would have required more serious explanations or simply couldn't be justified...  It was sort of a running joke among us.

TCB - Tea, Cats, Books...

4 Replies Related Threads

dubdisciple
    Max Output Level: -17 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5849
    Re: PayPal, SchmayPal! - Alternatives? 2014/09/13 18:07:30 (permalink)
    Not sure if available in canada but I have been using square. It is used as a credit card reader to accept payments, but you can use it similarly to paypal
    craigb
    • Total Posts : 41704
    Re: PayPal, SchmayPal! - Alternatives? 2014/09/13 18:11:04 (permalink)
    I'm not allowed to answer your question for security reasons. 

Time for all of you to head over to Beyond My DAW!
    Rain
    • Total Posts : 9736
    Re: PayPal, SchmayPal! - Alternatives? 2014/09/13 18:28:06 (permalink)
    Our use of PayPal usually boils down to: once a month, my wife sends money to my PayPal which I "withdraw" to my Canadian Bank account for subsequent online payment of our Canadian credit cards.

As counterintuitive as it sounds, it's actually easier (and much less expensive) than to transfer directly from our US bank to our Canadian bank.

TCB - Tea, Cats, Books...
    bapu
    • Total Posts : 86000
    Re: PayPal, SchmayPal! - Alternatives? 2014/09/13 22:16:35 (permalink)
    For security reasons I refuse to state if any of this makes cents to me.

(I'm sure Jonbouy makes cents out of it, somehow)
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1