Pearl Jam's Ten - remastered / remixed

Author
dlogan
Max Output Level: -50 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2544
2009/03/26 10:44:14 (permalink)

Pearl Jam's Ten - remastered / remixed

For anyone looking for a good example of the difference mastering can make, check out the remastered version of Pearl Jam's Ten that was released this week. Unlike most remastered re-issues that basically just slam the limiter to make the CD as loud as current releases, this one is remastered by Bob Ludwig and has an incredible impact. The low end is not muddy at all but is tight and punchy. There was apparently a lot of reverb added during mastering of the original which has been cleaned up during the remaster. It basically sounds like the equivalent of cleaning a coat of sludge off your car. Not too slick and polished, just cleaner. Fantastic improvement.

The re-issue also includes a 2nd CD with a remixed version. This is not a Puff Daddy-style remix, it's basically just a new take on the original tracks. It's cool to hear a fresh version of a classic CD and the remix emphasizes things that you couldn't really hear in the original, some effects are different, etc. It's cool but not as well mixed as the original in my opinion.

For fans of the band and/or the CD, I definitely recommend it! I got the 2-CD set at Target for $12.

Dave

www.soundclick.com/steakbone

2 Replies Related Threads

foxwolfen
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8256
    RE: Pearl Jam's Ten - remastered / remixed 2009/03/26 11:43:26 (permalink)
    It pains me when I think of the fact that "Perl Jam is Classic" rock now....

I am getting old far too fast.

A scientist knows more & more about less & less till he knows everything about nothing, while a philosopher knows less & less about more & more till he knows nothing about everything.

Composers Forum
    Slugbaby
    Max Output Level: -33.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4172
    RE: Pearl Jam's Ten - remastered / remixed 2009/03/26 14:05:37 (permalink)
    I thought about getting this, but didn't want to hear an old fave get brickwalled. If it actually sounds good, I'll be looking forward to gettting it!

http://www.MattSwiftMusic.com

Dell i5, 16Gb RAM, Focusrite 2i2 IO, Telecasters, P-bases, Personal Drama for a muse.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1