Peavey Revalver MKIII on sale @Musiciansfriend...

Author
yorolpal
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 13829
2011/07/25 23:11:49 (permalink)

Peavey Revalver MKIII on sale @Musiciansfriend...

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/peavey-revalver-mk-iii-amp-modeling-software-plug-in/703193000000000

Quite a savings.  Wish they also had a special on the HP upgrade.  Anywhoo....food for thought.

https://soundcloud.com/doghouse-riley/tracks 
https://doghouseriley1.bandcamp.com 
Where you come from is gone...where you thought you were goin to weren't never there...and where you are ain't no good unless you can get away from it.

SPLAT 64 bit running on a Studio Cat Pro System Win 10 64bit 2.8ghz Core i7 with 24 gigs ram. MOTU Audio Express.

11 Replies Related Threads

Starise
    Max Output Level: -0.3 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7563
    Re:Peavey Revalver MKIII on sale @Musiciansfriend... 2011/07/26 21:29:50 (permalink)
    Thanks for the info.
    Rbh
    Max Output Level: -52 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2349
    Re:Peavey Revalver MKIII on sale @Musiciansfriend... 2011/07/27 20:49:15 (permalink)
    They had this as a stupid deal about 2 weeks ago for 59.99  99.99 is still a pretty good price.

I7 930 2.8 Asus PDX58D
    12 Gig
    Appollo
    CbB, Sonar Pro, Reaper, Samplitude, MixBuss
     Win7 Pro

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=902832
    yorolpal
    Re:Peavey Revalver MKIII on sale @Musiciansfriend... 2011/07/27 22:44:11 (permalink)
    Just shows how many folks prefer Guitar Rig and Amplitube.  Revalver is a very good package.  At $59 it would be a steal.

Where you come from is gone...where you thought you were goin to weren't never there...and where you are ain't no good unless you can get away from it.

SPLAT 64 bit running on a Studio Cat Pro System Win 10 64bit 2.8ghz Core i7 with 24 gigs ram. MOTU Audio Express.
    Rain
    • Total Posts : 9736
    Re:Peavey Revalver MKIII on sale @Musiciansfriend... 2011/07/28 00:01:43 (permalink)
    yorolpal

Just shows how many folks prefer Guitar Rig and Amplitube.  Revalver is a very good package.  At $59 it would be a steal.

Well, honestly, I really was not too impressed w/ Revalver back then when they bundled it with Sonar, so I never bothered to check it out since. I'm sure it's WAY better than it used to be.

FWIW, I wasn't all that impressed w/ Amplitube 1, yet the latest version is pretty nice, and I'm liking it more and more - some of the cabs I've demo'ed recently are outstanding IMHO. That Custom Shop is probably going to end up costing me a lot. lol

Someone posted a link to Overloud THD recently. Looks like a great package, but much too flexible/complex for my own taste. 

And Guitar Rig just doesn't work for me - both sonically and the way it's designed. Personal taste. Plus I don't really dig NI, so if I can find an alternative, all the better.

My favorite still is Waves GTR Solo. In terms of functionality and simplicity, it's the next best thing to a real amp and a few pedals. Plus it's pretty light on my CPU. 

But as I said, I'm getting to like Amplitube a lot.

TCB - Tea, Cats, Books...
    yorolpal
    Re:Peavey Revalver MKIII on sale @Musiciansfriend... 2011/07/28 11:37:56 (permalink)
    I've tried most all of them and, on my latest DAW, have pared down to GTR, Guitar Rig 4, Amplitube 3 and the new Scuffham Amps.  While they all get use I tend to use Amp 3 the most.  I just like the way it's laid out and I like the models better as well.  That said I would strongly advise anyone looking for the elusive "cream" tone to check out Scuffham.  It is my goto lead and "Steely Dan" rhythm emulator.  It really is fab.

Rain
    Re:Peavey Revalver MKIII on sale @Musiciansfriend... 2011/07/28 11:49:31 (permalink)
    Is GTR finally working in Sonar? Gave me nothing but issues way back when I tried it.

Hadn't heard about that one (Scuffham)... I'll check it out. That being said, I'm sort of an heretic on these boards: I don't like Steely Dan. Almost as worst - I don't like Rush either. lol 

yorolpal
    Re:Peavey Revalver MKIII on sale @Musiciansfriend... 2011/07/28 13:07:54 (permalink)
    Well, you don't have to like their music at all...it's that elusive "Walter Becker" lead tone that's so hard to get. Just listen to the demos at:

www.scuffhamamps.com

And, yes, with the occasional exception of some GUI weirdness GTR works just fine on my 64bit X1 (see specs below) system.

Rain
    Re:Peavey Revalver MKIII on sale @Musiciansfriend... 2011/07/28 13:20:35 (permalink)
    Oops. No AU version just yet. :( Does sound sweet though. Watchlist. :)

Starise
    Max Output Level: -0.3 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7563
    Re:Peavey Revalver MKIII on sale @Musiciansfriend... 2011/07/28 13:49:10 (permalink)

I still have not tried the Waves GTR solo yet. I agree that Amplitube 3 is a more go to program than  Guitar rig 4.  I'm sure that I will use GR4 but one of my mixes lately has been using clean tones on a single neck pickup and the tones I'm getting on Amplitube are a little better than GR4 IMO.

I have heard other good user comments on Revalver.

It still is a curiosity to me how a handfull of companies all have the same goal in mind, say to replicate a Bassman amp....there should not be much of a difference in the sound  if they all are emulating the same model and setting of amp.

I do think that they all get pretty darned close and you can adjust controls on those to change the sound. To me what makes a great amp simm is the lack of any kind of artifacts,the realism of the simm and the ability of the simm to respond just as a tube amp would in the same situation.

Peavey never stood out to me as a company that makes the very best stuff but they have always made good stuff. This must be why I never thought to try them out on any kind  of amp simm.Whoda thunk??

Rain
    Re:Peavey Revalver MKIII on sale @Musiciansfriend... 2011/07/28 14:21:17 (permalink)
    Starise

I still have not tried the Waves GTR solo yet. I agree that Amplitube 3 is a more go to program than  Guitar rig 4.  I'm sure that I will use GR4 but one of my mixes lately has been using clean tones on a single neck pickup and the tones I'm getting on Amplitube are a little better than GR4 IMO.

I have heard other good user comments on Revalver.

It still is a curiosity to me how a handfull of companies all have the same goal in mind, say to replicate a Bassman amp....there should not be much of a difference in the sound  if they all are emulating the same model and setting of amp.

I do think that they all get pretty darned close and you can adjust controls on those to change the sound. To me what makes a great amp simm is the lack of any kind of artifacts,the realism of the simm and the ability of the simm to respond just as a tube amp would in the same situation.

Peavey never stood out to me as a company that makes the very best stuff but they have always made good stuff. This must be why I never thought to try them out on any kind  of amp simm.Whoda thunk??

See, that's exactly what I like about GTR. For the first time, I feel like I'm adjusting an amp instead of tweaking something which can sound like an amp. 

In other words, w/ GTR, if I load a Fender or a Vox, I'll probably want to adjust it a bit - add some mid, remove a bit of hi, but overall, I'm not sculpting the sound, merely adjusting it to fit what I'm playing, just as I would do with a real amp. Granted it doesn't sound like a real amp - it sounds like a mic'ed real amp. Which, ultimately is what I am after in a recording situation. 

W/ the other guys, it's like the sweet spot is a bit narrower, and you can end up w/ a tone that sounds nothing like an amp. But ultimately, from there on, it's a matter of preference. As you say, ultimately, they all can sound good enough.

Also... Look at the number of classic compressor emulations out there. It's all tubes and circuitry, yet they all sound a bit different. Now translate that into amp simulation. You have to model the actual circuitry, but also the speakers, the actual cab, a series of mic and a seemingly infinite number of variables in terms of where that mic will be in relation to the cab/speakers, what kind of virtual room will the amp be in, etc. That's quite a challenge.

IK Obi
    Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1549
    Re:Peavey Revalver MKIII on sale @Musiciansfriend... 2011/07/28 16:03:13 (permalink)
    Rain

yorolpal

Well, honestly, I really was not too impressed w/ Revalver back then when they bundled it with Sonar, so I never bothered to check it out since. I'm sure it's WAY better than it used to be.

FWIW, I wasn't all that impressed w/ Amplitube 1, yet the latest version is pretty nice, and I'm liking it more and more - some of the cabs I've demo'ed recently are outstanding IMHO. That Custom Shop is probably going to end up costing me a lot. lol

Someone posted a link to Overloud THD recently. Looks like a great package, but much too flexible/complex for my own taste. 

And Guitar Rig just doesn't work for me - both sonically and the way it's designed. Personal taste. Plus I don't really dig NI, so if I can find an alternative, all the better.

My favorite still is Waves GTR Solo. In terms of functionality and simplicity, it's the next best thing to a real amp and a few pedals. Plus it's pretty light on my CPU. 

But as I said, I'm getting to like Amplitube a lot.

Thanks Rain! We appreciate it! :D
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1