Pentagon I vocoder routing in P5?

Author
Mycranium
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 152
2006/11/07 15:30:26 (permalink)

Pentagon I vocoder routing in P5?

I'm going to try this question here in Instruments first, but it could also be a P5 question. But this instrument doesn't come with P5 so...

I got the Pentagon I working in vocoder mode in Sonar, very sexy. I'm trying to figure out whether it can be used that way in Project5. The track setup and routing is different than in Sonar. In Sonar the midi track determines the pitches, the synth is inserted as an effect in the associated audio track, and the input in the audio track (or audio data in that track) triggers the synth.

In P5 I can't figure out how to create the appropriate relationship between the midi track and the audio track that has Pentagon in it.

Am I just out of luck, or is there a way anyon'e figured out for this? I'd love to use both the vocoder and the groove matrix for this project.

Thanks
-Mike

Win8.1 x64
Intel I7 4770K
32GB RAM
Asus Maximus VI Formula mobo
Asus GTX780TI-DC2OC-3GD5 video card
MOTU Ultralite
E-MU Xboard 49
M-Audio Studiophile BX5 Monitors
Sonar X3 Platinum, Dim Pro, Rapture, GPO, JABB, Z3TA+ 2
Logitech T630 touch mouse

7 Replies Related Threads

jardim do mar
    Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1247
    RE: Pentagon I vocoder routing in P5? 2006/11/07 21:22:47 (permalink)
    very sexy
    ,,,oh,,, really,,,,,,these soft synths,,,liike,, do have a way ,,about them,,,,,, anyways ,,in p5,,,just insert pentagon as normal ,,,, import your vocal ,,and place in the pentagon's track,"lane,,, or whatever ya call, it,,,,,,,, set "voice modulator to ,,,'on in pentagon,,,,,,,,triggger a midi note on your controller,,,, as the vocal is playing,,,,, sexy,,,, indeed,,,,,,, you could also create a 'track layer",,,,,,, and insert a ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,midi pattern to trigger the vocoder
    post edited by jardim do mar - 2006/11/07 21:43:31

marcella
    And Remember,,,,One thing at a Time.....
    Mycranium
    RE: Pentagon I vocoder routing in P5? 2006/11/07 23:13:12 (permalink)
    Ah, thank you! Perfect!

This stuff just keeps getting cooler.

-Mike

Win8.1 x64
    Intel I7 4770K
    32GB RAM
    MOTU Ultralite
    E-MU Xboard 49
    mgarrett010461
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 248
    RE: Pentagon I vocoder routing in P5? 2006/11/08 12:44:54 (permalink)

Hmmmm, at work, not at workstation, so sexy.......

Is any synth I own capable of doing this????

The credit card is SMOKIN, my wallet is broken, all them synths I got ... are any sounds spoken??

Dimension Pro
    Z3ta+
    P5 Synths
    Sonar Synths
    Sytrus

mcg
    Mycranium
    RE: Pentagon I vocoder routing in P5? 2006/11/08 14:09:38 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: mgarrett010461

Hmmmm, at work, not at workstation, so sexy.......

Is any synth I own capable of doing this????

The credit card is SMOKIN, my wallet is broken, all them synths I got ... are any sounds spoken??

Dimension Pro
    Z3ta+
    P5 Synths
    Sonar Synths
    Sytrus

mcg

AFAIK only Pentagon has the vocoder. In the dim fog of my memory I believe I read somewhere that you can do this with some other synths to apply their filters and effects to audio tracks, but I might have dreamt it. I think I'll mess around with this in the next couple days and see what I can figure out. I'll post my results.

Anyone else know anything about this?

Win8.1 x64
    Intel I7 4770K
    32GB RAM
    MOTU Ultralite
    E-MU Xboard 49
    TC3
    Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 263
    RE: Pentagon I vocoder routing in P5? 2006/11/08 14:39:50 (permalink)
    I got the Pentagon I working in vocoder mode in Sonar,

Mycranium,

I saw this trick demoed at a recent Sonar6 Clinic but couldn't duplicate it bac at the studio.

What I THINK I saw was...

Load an Audio Track with some vocals
    Bring the Pentagon into the efects bin for that track
    Enable the Vocoder "switch"
    Play midi input as track is playing back.

but for me - all audio dies as soon as I bring the Pentagon into the FX bin of the Audio track.

Is there something I'm missing? If not - could you just list the exact steps you used to get this working?

Much appreciated...

Ted Chmura III - Composer
    TC3 Music
    Ludlow, MA
    AT
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 10654
    RE: Pentagon I vocoder routing in P5? 2006/11/08 15:09:52 (permalink)
    Craig anderton had a bit in SOS about this, I believe. If not, one of the other magazines. Do a search.

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    Mycranium
    RE: Pentagon I vocoder routing in P5? 2006/11/08 15:39:17 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: TC3

Mycranium,

I saw this trick demoed at a recent Sonar6 Clinic but couldn't duplicate it bac at the studio.

What I THINK I saw was...

Load an Audio Track with some vocals
    Bring the Pentagon into the efects bin for that track
    Enable the Vocoder "switch"
    Play midi input as track is playing back.

but for me - all audio dies as soon as I bring the Pentagon into the FX bin of the Audio track.

Is there something I'm missing? If not - could you just list the exact steps you used to get this working?

Much appreciated...

Ted Chmura III - Composer
    TC3 Music
    Ludlow, MA

There are several potential factors in getting thiis to work, so I'll try to cover everything I can think of.

Make sure you set the output of the midi track to the correct instance of Pentagon (if you have multiple instances). You need both the presence of audio data in the track that has Pentagon inserted in the FX bin (it can be live from an audio input or it can be a clip in the track - if it is too quiet it won't trigger the sounds) AND midi notes in the midi track (which again can be data in the track or midi notes played live through the midi track's input). If both of these conditions are met and your routing is correct it should work. You won't get any output wherever there is NOT a midi note "on." Pitch is determined by the midi note values, not by the source audio.

You will not hear the sound of the audio in the audio track under any circumstances - it is only used to "drive" the sound production of the synth, so don't expect that to be coming through (unless you bypass the synth in the FX bin). [On a side note, you can put the audio in an additional track and mix it with the vocoder track. This is especially cool for harmonizing - you can compose a note line for the vocoder via midi that is different than the pitches in the audio track - and, as in my current project, if you're using a percussion track to trigger the vocoder you can get some really cool results by mixing it with the source audio in a different track.]

A couple other thoughts - in Pentagon, make sure you select a patch that has a fast enough attack. If you have a slow attack and the audio data that's triggering the sounds is stacatto (i.e. has transient high amplitudes with mostly low amplitudes), the patch may not attack fast enough for the sound to develop before the audio transient decays. Midi note velocity has an effect as well, but that would only cause no output if the values were extremely low.

Once you get it working try turning the formant filter "on" in the same selector where you set the vocoder on/off. With the formant filter on you can enable the "drive" section of the synth and use gain to adjust the formant. It emphasizes the vocoder effect.

HTH
    -Mike

Win8.1 x64
    Intel I7 4770K
    32GB RAM
    MOTU Ultralite
    E-MU Xboard 49