Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
offnote
Max Output Level: -73 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 860
2012/01/13 05:24:59 (permalink)

People are crazy and times are strange - best lyricist ever, Bob Dylan

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9EKqQWPjyo&ob=av2e

People are crazy and times are strange I'm locked in tight, I'm out of range I used to care, but things have changed

Dylan is really the man, I mean who writes today so great, full of wisdom, powerful lyrics ??? nobody.

43 Replies Related Threads

Bristol_Jonesey
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 16775
    Re:People are crazy and times are strange - best lyricist ever, Bob Dylan 2012/01/13 06:51:02 (permalink)
    For a minute there, I thought you were being serious....

CbB, Platinum, 64 bit throughout
    Custom built i7 3930, 32Gb RAM, 2 x 1Tb Internal HDD, 1 x 1TB system SSD (Win 7), 1 x 500Gb system SSD (Win 10), 2 x 1Tb External HDD's, Dual boot Win 7 & Win 10 64 Bit, Saffire Pro 26, ISA One, Adam P11A,
    jamesg1213
    • Total Posts : 21760
    Re:People are crazy and times are strange - best lyricist ever, Bob Dylan 2012/01/13 07:34:00 (permalink)
    offnote

who writes today so great, full of wisdom, powerful lyrics ??? nobody.

Justin Currie, for one.

Plus;

Elvis Costello
    Marc Cohn
    John Hiatt
    Nick Lowe
    Tom Waits
    Mark Knopfler

post edited by jamesg1213 - 2012/01/13 07:47:09

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer
    offnote
    Re:People are crazy and times are strange - best lyricist ever, Bob Dylan 2012/01/13 07:51:17 (permalink)
    jamesg1213

offnote

Justin Currie, for one.

Plus;

Elvis Costello
    Marc Cohn
    John Hiatt
    Nick Lowe
    Tom Waits
    Mark Knopfler

it was rhetorical question.

jamesg1213
    Re:People are crazy and times are strange - best lyricist ever, Bob Dylan 2012/01/13 07:59:44 (permalink)
    offnote

jamesg1213

offnote

Justin Currie, for one.

Plus;

Elvis Costello
    Marc Cohn
    John Hiatt
    Nick Lowe
    Tom Waits
    Mark Knopfler

OK, mine was a rhetorical answer then.

Jyemz

Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:People are crazy and times are strange - best lyricist ever, Bob Dylan 2012/01/13 08:12:54 (permalink)
    I think it's just the way he sings.... people have a hard time understanding the words and just assume that he said something profound. 

Oh yeah...and songs that go on and on forever..... or maybe it just seems that way. And... is it just me or do they all sound alike too?
    post edited by Guitarhacker - 2012/01/13 08:16:16

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    Flywheel
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 202
    Re:People are crazy and times are strange - best lyricist ever, Bob Dylan 2012/01/13 09:35:52 (permalink)
    My hair is wet they wonder why, maybe its because rain fell from the sky!
    They say why did I go outside, my heart replies, so I could hide the tears I cried!

Yes we still writing good lyrics!

Written and composed by Flywheel!

Flywheel
    Re:People are crazy and times are strange - best lyricist ever, Bob Dylan 2012/01/13 09:56:26 (permalink)
    Has anyone found a word that rhymes with ORANGE yet?
    Randy P
    Max Output Level: -44.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3070
    Re:People are crazy and times are strange - best lyricist ever, Bob Dylan 2012/01/13 09:59:38 (permalink)
    Sporange. Look it up.

Randy

http://www.soundclick.com/riprorenband

The music biz is a cruel and shallow money trench,a plastic hallway where thieves & pimps run free and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side. Hunter S. Thompson
    Flywheel
    Re:People are crazy and times are strange - best lyricist ever, Bob Dylan 2012/01/13 10:26:02 (permalink)
    L'orange. Look that up Chuck!
    craigb
    • Total Posts : 41704
    Re:People are crazy and times are strange - best lyricist ever, Bob Dylan 2012/01/13 10:35:15 (permalink)
    If he thought people were crazy and times were strange back then, what the heck would he think NOW???

Time for all of you to head over to Beyond My DAW!
    alexoosthoek
    Max Output Level: -23 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5238
    Re:People are crazy and times are strange - best lyricist ever, Bob Dylan 2012/01/13 11:01:57 (permalink)
    jamesg1213

offnote

jamesg1213

offnote

Justin Currie, for one.

Plus;

Elvis Costello
    Marc Cohn
    John Hiatt
    Nick Lowe
    Tom Waits
    Mark Knopfler

OK, mine was a rhetorical answer then.

The CHB
    Some Live Demo's

Various ADK computers   and some thingy's
    Have fun!
    offnote
    Re:People are crazy and times are strange - best lyricist ever, Bob Dylan 2012/01/13 11:08:18 (permalink)
    craigb

If he thought people were crazy and times were strange back then, what the heck would he think NOW???

that's the beauty of his lyrics, they hold the truth at any time.
    jamesg1213
    Re:People are crazy and times are strange - best lyricist ever, Bob Dylan 2012/01/13 11:12:01 (permalink)
    Flywheel

Has anyone found a word that rhymes with ORANGE yet?

Door hinge?

Jyemz

yorolpal
    • Total Posts : 13829
    Re:People are crazy and times are strange - best lyricist ever, Bob Dylan 2012/01/13 11:16:47 (permalink)
    Orange you glad you asked?

https://soundcloud.com/doghouse-riley/tracks 
    https://doghouseriley1.bandcamp.com 
    Where you come from is gone...where you thought you were goin to weren't never there...and where you are ain't no good unless you can get away from it.

SPLAT 64 bit running on a Studio Cat Pro System Win 10 64bit 2.8ghz Core i7 with 24 gigs ram. MOTU Audio Express.
    craigb
    • Total Posts : 41704
    Re:People are crazy and times are strange - best lyricist ever, Bob Dylan 2012/01/13 11:20:45 (permalink)
    So now that orange has been rhymed I should use it instead of purple?

Time for all of you to head over to Beyond My DAW!
    Randy P
    Max Output Level: -44.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3070
    Re:People are crazy and times are strange - best lyricist ever, Bob Dylan 2012/01/13 11:35:45 (permalink)
    Burple. It's what happens after you've eaten Lavender too fast. Probably shouldn't look it up.

Randy

http://www.soundclick.com/riprorenband

The music biz is a cruel and shallow money trench,a plastic hallway where thieves & pimps run free and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side. Hunter S. Thompson
    jamesg1213
    Re:People are crazy and times are strange - best lyricist ever, Bob Dylan 2012/01/13 11:37:42 (permalink)
    rsp@odyssey.net

what happens after you've eaten Lavender too fast.

Randy

Who among us here hasn't eaten lavender too fast?

That is a rhetorical question...

Jyemz

Moshkiae
    Max Output Level: -14 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6111
    Re:People are crazy and times are strange - best lyricist ever, Bob Dylan 2012/01/13 11:55:00 (permalink)
    Hi,

By the time he's gone for a few years, I think that he will finally get some credit as a poet, rather than a song writer.

There are times when his reading of the material he writes throws people off ... and she knows what she needs and I know what she wants ... and the reading is not as strong, but when you listen to it ... with the sarcasm, or editorial plain visible, it is even better.

The "beat poets" are all like this ... reading Allen Ginsburg is "boring" ... but when you listen to him delivering it ... it's a totally different experience, and this is what "poetry" is about. But Bob, himself, might not say it's a poem ... I don't think that he "thinks" in terms of poem, or song ... I think that he just writes, stream of consciousness like, and might or might not add music to it later ... if ever!

Rock music, in general has not been a good place for poetry and the majority of the folks and fans are so worried about the fan side of things that they ignore the words and the poetry behind it ... the same thing happened to The Doors and many others ... when people just don't know what it all means and the lyrics are silly, pathetic, or obvious ... and supposedly mean something.

For my tastes, the best poets in rock today are Dylan, Roy Harper and Peter Hammill ... all three of these share some striking similarities ... they just go with the words and the music be damned sometimes ... and that is not something that most "rock fans" can appreciate ... but when you read the material itself ... yeah it stands out ... but we're too enthralled with the fan thing ... that a person like myself or others defending "poetry" leaves Bapu to make a one word statement ... like "FU" because it isn't funny ... and everyone else saying that I'm stuck up ...

It's not about me .... but as I say all the time there is something else out there that most of the rock'n'roll'rs playing with DAW's are not abel/willing/capable of listening to and learning from and as such the quality of their own ability and music will suffer and not get the individuality that it needs and deserves to stand up.

In the end ... it's about who you are ... or wanna be when you look at the mirror and ... Mosh's words are always making that effort ... not trying to change you for the worst or the better ... he has been next to very high literary standards that were also off-kilter in the other direction ... and I didn't like it either ... but at least I am being honest wiht an appraisal here ...

There is beauty out there ... how much more "visible" do you want to make it? Remember this is about you, not your ideas ... because ideas don't always make it anywhere ...
    post edited by Moshkiae - 2012/01/13 12:09:00

As a wise Guy once stated from his holy chapala ... none of the hits, none of the time ... prevents you from becoming just another turkey in the middle of all the other turkeys! 

jamesg1213
    Re:People are crazy and times are strange - best lyricist ever, Bob Dylan 2012/01/13 12:07:28 (permalink)
    Moshkiae

but as I say all the time there is something else out there that most of the rock'n'roll'rs playing with DAW's are not abel/willing/capable of listening to and learning from

In all seriousness Pedro...you say that almost every time you post, and yet you're the one who only seems to listen to a very narrow range of music - you mention the same handful of names every time, usually;

Peter Hammill
    Guru Guru
    Tangerine Dream
    Klaus Schultze
    Terje Rypdal
    Mike Oldfield
    Gong
    Magma
    Amon Duul

Now, I like most of those listed, but you know, there is more music out there than early 1970's progressive rock. I think it's you that needs to broaden his horizons.

As for Dylan 'finally get some credit as a poet', he's been worshipped by his fans and the music press for decades and had his lyrics pored over, analyzed and written about ad infinitum by dozens of writers.

Jyemz

Moshkiae
    Re:People are crazy and times are strange - best lyricist ever, Bob Dylan 2012/01/13 12:30:49 (permalink)
    jamesg1213

Now, I like most of those listed, but you know, there is more music out there than early 1970's progressive rock. I think it's you that needs to broaden his horizons.

As for Dylan 'finally get some credit as a poet', he's been worshipped by his fans and the music press for decades and had his lyrics pored over, analyzed and written about ad infinitum by dozens of writers.
    What you are failing to connect is that I am also discussing and mentioning a heck of a lot of other literature and music and other arts (specially film and theater), that most "rock fans" audience does nto appreciate, understand or can see a connection.

Same thing with me stating that Greg Lake does not "sing" (per se - conventionally) in KC or ELP for the most part and concentrates on the expression and poetic depth of the words to add an accent to it ... which he played tribute to Bob Dylan with on his first solo album!

Same with Leonard Cohen, Lou Reed, Tom Waits, Lou Redbone ... Kurt Weill, Lotte Lenya ... I can continue ... but I imagine that you won't like it.

Not all "artists" are connected with the "world" and I do not look at Crosby, Stills and Nash or Joni Mitchel or Gordon Lightfoote as any lesser poets than anyone else ... with one exception ... I say it from a writing and poetry perspective, and this is the part that "musicians" do not like to hear if it makes them feel inferior or less knowledgable. I can't help that ... I'm not trying to make people feel inferior ... I'm simply showing that there is a lot more out there ... that we ALL do not check out to see/know how different these things are and can be ...

Ohh, you can also check out the live poetry readings by many people ... from Dylan Thomas to TS Elliot, and some others ... it's really different and there is a reason why these folks are remembered and it is not just a guitar lick!

And I happen to think that Bob is an American poet that will never be recognized because of the rock press and its lack of appreciation for the history of the "word" (so to speak) ... because they are so enamored with the cocks, the guitars and the **** around it. Bob Dylan is probably the greatest and best American poet of the 20th century ... but I don't think that folks will give a damn until 100 years from now! Doesn't mean I like how he uses music with his words ... others can do better ... but the wording is very good and then some.
    post edited by Moshkiae - 2012/01/13 12:36:32

As a wise Guy once stated from his holy chapala ... none of the hits, none of the time ... prevents you from becoming just another turkey in the middle of all the other turkeys! 

Moshkiae
    Re:People are crazy and times are strange - best lyricist ever, Bob Dylan 2012/01/13 12:38:38 (permalink)
    "Now, I like most of those listed, but you know, there is more music out there than early 1970's progressive rock. I think it's you that needs to broaden his horizons."

Might even check out the different cultures, styles and ways of using the words ... very different ... but I would never say that Bob's are not good or valuable. EVER!

Bad Speech (Roy Harper)
    I was not put here - (by anyone)
    By anyone in fear
    I came alone as me
    Just an idea
    In a long chain
    Of discovery
    Surrounded by the same -
    You
    Sometimes your tide
    Pulls me out to sea
    And I die
    In a trashing curse
    Sometimes we are kind
    More often I doze
    - So far up the beach
    That those who try to reach
    Are burnt alive
    In the searing heat
    Of the desert
    Of my dispassion
    So far removed
    I never hear the water
    'Cept once or twice a month
    When I see a mirror
    And I refuse to believe
    In some of the things
    That are said to be here
    Let alone those
    That are not
    I'm trying to change
    My direction
    Ours is pathetic
    In my own humble estimation
    I love the planet
    The great benign she-wolf
    Benefactor
    Spinning gently on
    Towards the red giant
    Four aeons hence
    When all the rose gardens
    Are consumed in the flash-fire
    Of flying time
    She'll leave alone too

post edited by Moshkiae - 2012/01/13 12:41:36

Guitarhacker
    Re:People are crazy and times are strange - best lyricist ever, Bob Dylan 2012/01/13 12:43:50 (permalink)
    Just put a clothes pin on your nose and you too can sing like Dylan. 

BMI/NSAI

Moshkiae
    Re:People are crazy and times are strange - best lyricist ever, Bob Dylan 2012/01/13 12:45:47 (permalink)
    Hi,

Thanks Herb ... I needed that!

Guitarhacker
    Re:People are crazy and times are strange - best lyricist ever, Bob Dylan 2012/01/13 12:48:12 (permalink)
    Just trying to be helpful

After all.... who among us hasn't wanted to sing like Dylan? 

or Willie Nelson? 

BMI/NSAI

jamesg1213
    Re:People are crazy and times are strange - best lyricist ever, Bob Dylan 2012/01/13 13:13:25 (permalink)
    Moshkiae

a heck of a lot of other literature and music and other arts (specially film and theater), that most "rock fans" audience does nto appreciate, understand or can see a connection.

Sorry to be blunt, but 'says who?' You're making a lot of assumptions there. If you substitute 'most' for 'some', I wouldn't be arguing.

Same thing with me stating that Greg Lake does not "sing" (per se - conventionally) in KC or ELP for the most part and concentrates on the expression and poetic depth of the words to add an accent to it ... which he played tribute to Bob Dylan with on his first solo album!

I don't agree. Lake sings very conventionally, always has done. If you want to hear someone singing unconventionally, try Elizabeth Fraser from the Cocteau Twins. She even made up her own language.

Same with Leonard Cohen, Lou Reed, Tom Waits, Lou Redbone ... Kurt Weill, Lotte Lenya ... I can continue ... but I imagine that you won't like it.

How do you know what I would or wouldn't like? I'm a huge Tom Waits fan. Cohen..not so much.

Not all "artists" are connected with the "world" and I do not look at Crosby, Stills and Nash or Joni Mitchel or Gordon Lightfoote as any lesser poets than anyone else ... with one exception ... I say it from a writing and poetry perspective, and this is the part that "musicians" do not like to hear if it makes them feel inferior or less knowledgable. I can't help that ... I'm not trying to make people feel inferior ... I'm simply showing that there is a lot more out there ... that we ALL do not check out to see/know how different these things are and can be ...

Ohh, you can also check out the live poetry readings by many people ... from Dylan Thomas to TS Elliot, and some others ... it's really different and there is a reason why these folks are remembered and it is not just a guitar lick!

Again, you're assuming I have no knowledge of literature or poetry..which I do. You're also assuming that musicians have no knowledge of any other aspect of the arts..which is bizarre.

And I happen to think that Bob is an American poet that will never be recognized because of the rock press and its lack of appreciation for the history of the "word" (so to speak) ... because they are so enamored with the cocks, the guitars and the **** around it. Bob Dylan is probably the greatest and best American poet of the 20th century ... but I don't think that folks will give a damn until 100 years from now!

Again, I think you're wrong. Ever since I started buying music papers and mags in the early '70's there have been endless discussions about Dylan's lyrics as poetry.

Doesn't mean I like how he uses music with his words ... others can do better ... but the wording is very good and then some.

Jyemz

Moshkiae
    Re:People are crazy and times are strange - best lyricist ever, Bob Dylan 2012/01/13 14:49:24 (permalink)
    Hi,

-->> Sorry to be blunt, but 'says who?' You're making a lot of assumptions there. If you substitute 'most' for 'some', I wouldn't be arguing. <<--

Point well taken.  

-->> I don't agree. Lake sings very conventionally, always has done. If you want to hear someone singing unconventionally, try Elizabeth Fraser from the Cocteau Twins. She even made up her own language. <<--

So did Magma and Lisa Garrard and ohhh boy .. now I have to list a number of Hindu and Eastern singers that only use sounds and I still think that "feelings" sometimes come through a lot better than words themselves.

-->> How do you know what I would or wouldn't like? I'm a huge Tom Waits fan. Cohen..not so much. <<--

Okkk .. my bad ... you alredy gave me the 50 lashes. 

-->> Again, you're assuming I have no knowledge of literature or poetry..which I do. You're also assuming that musicians have no knowledge of any other aspect of the arts..which is bizarre. <<--

I didn't mean it to sound like that ... what was meant is that more often than not, you can listen to some of the things that folks do here, and it still sounds like a conventional song with a conventional design with a conventional chorus with a conventional ... and the mark of art history is? ... you got it ... change all that, scramble it and do somethign different. And that is the reason why folks like Bob will be remembered.

Can I ask why rock'n'rollers appear to be so affectionate with one "style" (rock'n'roll, blues, jazz, etc) ... and then when I say something about that, the replies make me feel I don't listen to these things, and you know I do ... is there any music "style" out there that you have not had me mention or dislike? ... you'll be hard pressed to find one, because I like "music" ... and it has nothing to do with styles ... it has to do with the person on it and behind it! There is a massive difference.

-->> Again, I think you're wrong. Ever since I started buying music papers and mags in the early '70's there have been endless discussions about Dylan's lyrics as poetry. <<--

I came to America in 1965 (or 66 ... can't remember .. have to look at that Green Card again)  and all the way through the early 70's in Madison, the only people that liked Bob were us .. the young ones. We could relate. And my dad, who spent a lot of his life translating American authors into Portuguese for schools, with the likes of Steinbeck, Pound, Hemingway, and many others coming and going all the time ... did not think that Bob was good, and my dad even used the words "pedestrian" ... for which I nailed his asssss to the wall for being a pretentious bastard and ellitist ... already in those days, 40 years ago, I was fighting for folks like Bob ... and the other issue, and it is not new, and it is even mentioned in Patti Smith's book ... why can't you Americans respect the poets you have ... and I didn't write that ...

A lot of those "discussions" on Rolling Stone (my favorite pick because Gonzo was a turkey too stoned to know the difference!) are not about "poetry" ... they are about idol'izing the star ... and yeah ... I guess that we have to suck up to Lady Gaga or Bob Gugu once in a while, but it does not help/teach people understand the work ... to help illustrate it better.

Even the first house I came in, and it was the same day we arrived, October 15th, what album was playing ... ??? Blonde on Blonde ... and I have to tell you that is probably one of the single greatest influences I have ever had in my life.

Greg Lake ... when you listen to Epitath, or The Endless Enigma, listen to where he accentuates things with the words ... which is more like a poet expressing himself than "singing a rock song" (so to speak!) ... and it is the accents in these pieces (as an example -- many others in their albums) that help identify moments in the music ... with various small moments ... like gun/bullet ... stop ... single snare drum hit! ... to help illustrate and add strength to the lyrics.  But maybe this is the part that I consider "theatrical" that helps make the music more important for me ... and that was one of the things I really liked about Greg singing ... doesn't mean he wasn't in key or didn't know how to sing ... he DOES.

jamesg1213
    Re:People are crazy and times are strange - best lyricist ever, Bob Dylan 2012/01/13 16:00:49 (permalink)
    Thanks Pedro, nice reply. I appreciate that. I'll just add one more thing if I may;

more often than not, you can listen to some of the things that folks do here, and it still sounds like a conventional song with a conventional design with a conventional chorus with a conventional...

At this point in time, I'm convinced that it takes more skill, artistry and sheer bloody-mindedness to distill a lifetime's experience and feelings into a 3 minute pop song than any 40 minute art rock/prog rock/extravaganza. If I could leave behind one song like 'Wichita Lineman', I'd consider it a job well done.

...and I still love me some Van Der Graaf Generator...

Jyemz

yorolpal
    • Total Posts : 13829
    Re:People are crazy and times are strange - best lyricist ever, Bob Dylan 2012/01/13 16:34:35 (permalink)
    ...james, ol pal...great minds think alike.  I've recently been working on an arrangement of Wichita Lineman and critically thinking about it and it's structure.  Whether by sheer luck or skilled craftsmanship (or both) Jimmy Webb managed to break out of his usual completely obtuse dunderheadedness and come up with something freakishly original.  Do yourself a favor and go to YouTube and listen to the scores of covers (even one by Sammy Davis Jr!!!)...very interesting.

Plus one to your point about the best writing being the most economical.  Great writers say more with less.  It's still hard to beat Ernest Hemingway's six word short story:  For sale.  Baby shoes.  Never worn.
    post edited by yorolpal - 2012/01/13 16:38:10

https://soundcloud.com/doghouse-riley/tracks 
    https://doghouseriley1.bandcamp.com 
    Where you come from is gone...where you thought you were goin to weren't never there...and where you are ain't no good unless you can get away from it.

SPLAT 64 bit running on a Studio Cat Pro System Win 10 64bit 2.8ghz Core i7 with 24 gigs ram. MOTU Audio Express.
    jamesg1213
    Re:People are crazy and times are strange - best lyricist ever, Bob Dylan 2012/01/13 17:20:57 (permalink)
    yorolpal

Great writers say more with less. 

They certain do ol' pal. My oldest pal wrote a song containing these two lines;

''At my feet, green shoots are growing, I'll look at these, I'll look at these
    But somewhere distant, somewhere distant, I hear the fall of trees''

I wish I'd written that.

post edited by jamesg1213 - 2012/01/13 17:30:29

Jyemz

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1