Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
kev11111111111111
Max Output Level: -57.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1772
2008/05/16 12:46:27 (permalink)

Peoples views on sampling ?

Hi all,
just curious to see what peoples views are on sampling music ? I think someone once said good composers write,great composers steal lol.Has technology pushed this concept further ?
Personally I think its a good thing.It allows music to be more of a universal...bringing in a creative flow from numerous people rather than a single ego.It looks outwards and recognises,values the creative output of others.Haha I sound like a real hippy today.Nevermind that anyway.What do you think about sampling ? Yay or Nay ?
Kev

39 Replies Related Threads

aaronk
    Max Output Level: -65 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1275
    RE: Peoples views on sampling ? 2008/05/16 13:42:02 (permalink)
    I've been on this soapbox before.

Samples can be fun, and can sometimes be used for actual musical effect.

Downsides:

(1) They sound fake. Earlier samples (poorer quality) actually made for better music. Compare an old Warner Bros. cartoon (unrealistic capture of reality) with current digital characters. Where a movie director tries too hard to make the digital stuff look "real", its fakeness becomes much more annoying. To use a musical example, early songs using electronic drum machines tended to try to make them sound like real drums -- that didn't work so well. Using drum machines AS MACHINES that can play "too fast," "too many notes," and "too perfectly in time" led to more musically interesting results (indeed, as whole new musical style).

(2) They lead to poor instrumental writing. If you're writing a piece intended for real musicians, using samples can be very misleading. Samples don't need to pause for breath. Their arms don't get tired. A jump of an octave plus a tritone is as idiomatic as a minor second.

Bottom line: if you use samples, compose music that is idiomatic FOR THE SAMPLER, not for the real-world instrument being sampled. Push the differences, not the similarities.
    rumleymusic
    Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1533
    RE: Peoples views on sampling ? 2008/05/16 15:08:02 (permalink)
    I think someone once said good composers write,great composers steal

Actually, it goes "Good composers borrow, great composers steal". -Stravinsky. I think what he meant by that is that it is okay to take an idea from another composer, as long as you can make it your own and not simply copy.

Personally I think its a good thing.It allows music to be more of a universal...bringing in a creative flow from numerous people rather than a single ego.It looks outwards and recognises,values the creative output of others.Haha I sound like a real hippy today.Nevermind that anyway.What do you think about sampling ? Yay or Nay ?

Personally...I think ego is the most important ingredient in great music. One person who asked me to score a short film once also asked if I would be okay collaborating with another composer. The very idea made me nauseated. Anyway, I think sampled instruments are fine, if you are somehow able to make the performance sound dynamic and convincing. However, sampling musical segments (for example, looping), i think is a disgusting practice, and shows little effort or seriousness. I would never do it...........unless someone paid me.....
    post edited by rumleymusic - 2008/05/16 15:28:34
    kev11111111111111
    RE: Peoples views on sampling ? 2008/05/16 16:11:47 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: rumleymusic

I think someone once said good composers write,great composers steal

Actually, it goes "Good composers borrow, great composers steal". -Stravinsky. I think what he meant by that is that it is okay to take an idea from another composer, as long as you can make it your own and not simply copy.

Personally...I think ego is the most important ingredient in great music. One person who asked me to score a short film once also asked if I would be okay collaborating with another composer. The very idea made me nauseated. Anyway, I think sampled instruments are fine, if you are somehow able to make the performance sound dynamic and convincing. However, sampling musical segments (for example, looping), i think is a disgusting practice, and shows little effort or seriousness. I would never do it...........unless someone paid me.....

Yeah I knew the quote went something along those lines...thanks for bringing home the actual quote I'm not so sure if ego is a definate ingrediant in a composers success or not.Seems to me everything is becoming more and more polarised.Music will reflect this trend or not ?
    Kev
    kev11111111111111
    RE: Peoples views on sampling ? 2008/05/16 16:28:14 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: aaronk

I've been on this soapbox before.

Samples can be fun, and can sometimes be used for actual musical effect.

Downsides:

(1) They sound fake. Earlier samples (poorer quality) actually made for better music. Compare an old Warner Bros. cartoon (unrealistic capture of reality) with current digital characters. Where a movie director tries too hard to make the digital stuff look "real", its fakeness becomes much more annoying. To use a musical example, early songs using electronic drum machines tended to try to make them sound like real drums -- that didn't work so well. Using drum machines AS MACHINES that can play "too fast," "too many notes," and "too perfectly in time" led to more musically interesting results (indeed, as whole new musical style).

(2) They lead to poor instrumental writing. If you're writing a piece intended for real musicians, using samples can be very misleading. Samples don't need to pause for breath. Their arms don't get tired. A jump of an octave plus a tritone is as idiomatic as a minor second.

Bottom line: if you use samples, compose music that is idiomatic FOR THE SAMPLER, not for the real-world instrument being sampled. Push the differences, not the similarities.

Hi aaronk
    I know what you're saying ! But surely the whole point is to create outside a school of thought ? If all the school can bring is a gloom and doom generation of writers sticking to the rules then what excately is the point ? Theres no rules,theres either good or bad music.
    kwgm
    Max Output Level: -52.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2271
    RE: Peoples views on sampling ? 2008/05/16 17:13:33 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: kev11111111111111

.... If all the school can bring is a gloom and doom generation of writers sticking to the rules then what excately is the point ?

That's the formula the pop music star system has used for over 50 years.

Oh, the point -- to make gobs of money, of course.

--kwgm
    apell
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 32
    RE: Peoples views on sampling ? 2008/05/20 03:33:50 (permalink)
    I had a piano teacher who once said that almost everything in music has been done before. After all there are only 12 motes in standard western music!

I do use samples but I usually cut them up and manipulate them in such a way that they sound nothing like what they did in their original context.

I am a big user of drum loops / samples as they have a better groove and sound much more natural than midi programmed drum sample hits. I often use sample hits trigged by midi for the kicks and snares to boost the punch of the drum loop.

For other instrumental samples that I hack up they are used wit ha combination of "real" guitar and bass and DXi synths to create a new piece of music. The samples hel pto create character and feel or a cool effect for a track.

Anthony Pell. (APELL)
    "Wild & Completely Unbridled Electronica" - inthemix.com.au
    www.apellmusic.com
    www.myspace.com/apellmusic
    www.youtube.com/apellmusic
    Roflcopter
    Max Output Level: -7.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6767
    RE: Peoples views on sampling ? 2008/05/20 07:30:17 (permalink)
    There's quite a few more things around us than just what's listed in the periodic table. Life samples all the time. It's a natural thing. Monoliths are highly artificial, besides being very, very boring. Monocultures die much faster as well.

It's a good thing I'm not a religious person, or you could guess the next line.

I'm a perfectionist, and perfect is a skinned knee.
    opaque slogan
    • Total Posts : 1787
    RE: Peoples views on sampling ? 2008/05/20 07:36:27 (permalink)

just curious to see what peoples views are on sampling music ?

It's cheap and it's the way people with a lack of creative imagination make money out of music.
    They can't write a catchy hook so they take that magic ingredient from a tried and tested hit, build a track around it and subsequently get their own hit.
    There are so many talented artists out there trying to take music forward but they go unheard while the radio pumps out the sound of the last few decades in snippets and loops.

Die DJ/'musician' die.

Mario kart SC, Nintendo Gameboy advance SP, Screen magnifier.

www.myspace.com/opaqueslogan (pre-sonar, raw and nasty)
    ed97643
    Max Output Level: -59 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1610
    RE: Peoples views on sampling ? 2008/05/20 10:23:28 (permalink)
    I am proud of myself when I write something original. To me, that's the entire point: to say something original with music. I never understood why anyone would sample someone elses music (even if edited) in to their own. Some will defend it, and that's fine if it suits them (I guess), but to me it just defeats the whole purpose of being a writer of new, original music.

Registered Cakewalk user since 1995
    stratcat33511
    Max Output Level: -39 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3636
    RE: Peoples views on sampling ? 2008/05/20 10:38:47 (permalink)
    this sounds more like ripping

Sampling to me is:

Record some sounds, map them across a keyboard - create a new instrument of, body sounds, for example

I think technology makes it easier for Monkeys to put sounds together and call it music composition

Beagle
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 50621
    RE: Peoples views on sampling ? 2008/05/20 11:47:50 (permalink)
    I think this thread has contributions to it which are actually talking about two different things. kev11111111111111: can we get a clarification on your original question? when I hear the term "sampling" I am thinking about using samplers triggered by MIDI to create (eventually) an audio output. some of the replies above are addressing that scenario. others, however, seem to be responding to using what I refer to as "audio loops" - which is an entirely different thing. audio loops are phrases of audio created by someone and recorded to be copied and pasted into a project.

for my take, concerning both (just in case):
    for samplers, I see no difference in using samplers triggered by MIDI than I do someone using a synthesizer. it uses MIDI signals to trigger a hardware synth. same thing. synthesizer workstations allow the musician to edit MIDI on the keyboard's onboard processor and save it. there's really no difference IMO than using MIDI to trigger samplers on a computer.

as far as audio loops:
    I suppose they have their place and I wouldn't say that anyone using audio loops is not a musician. but if that's ALL they use then I would agree with Nick's statements above. is it creative to paste together a song out of loops only? sure. but it's not the same thing as creating a song. using loops to augment one's creative talent is one thing. using loops to "create a song" is quite another. that's really not much more than creating a mix from other songs (DJ'ing). Nothing wrong with DJ's, mind you, but they're not creating anything unique - they're just pasting together work which others have created for a specific purpose.

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    krizrox
    Max Output Level: -35 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4046
    RE: Peoples views on sampling ? 2008/05/20 15:56:05 (permalink)
    Just curious - what has more artistic merit? A statue of two lovers in a tender embrace made from old bicycle parts or Andy Warhol's classic painting of a can of soup?

What is more interesting musically? Kid Rocks' All Summer Long or Sweet Home Alabama by Lynyrd Skynyrd?

How about Metal Machine Music by Lou Reed vs. the latest Kanye West album?

Point? art is in the ear of the beholder :-) Rock on!

Larry Kriz
    www.LnLRecording.com
    www.myspace.com/lnlrecording

Sonar PE 8.5, Samplitude Pro 11, Sonic Core Scope Professional/XTC, A16 Ultra AD/DA, Intel DG965RY MOBO, Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 2.4GHz processor, XFX GeForce 7300 GT PCIe video card, Barracuda 750 & 320GB SATA drives, 4GB DDR Ram, Plextor DVD/CD-R burner.
    Roflcopter
    RE: Peoples views on sampling ? 2008/05/20 18:08:54 (permalink)
    It's cheap and it's the way people with a lack of creative imagination make money out of music.
    They can't write a catchy hook so they take that magic ingredient from a tried and tested hit, build a track around it and subsequently get their own hit.
    There are so many talented artists out there trying to take music forward but they go unheard while the radio pumps out the sound of the last few decades in snippets and loops.

Die DJ/'musician' die.

Dunno, all the cases I heard about such illegal sampling, it turned out the artist had payed for its use, and I think that it's actually more of an 'industry' thing than a 'piracy' thing.

Don't recall any pirated sample-songs that made it big in the charts, not recently. Don't even think it would last long on myspace or soundclick. Could you give examples to the contrary? Maybe I'm missing something.

mcourter
    Max Output Level: -41 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3442
    RE: Peoples views on sampling ? 2008/05/20 18:38:46 (permalink)
    I sampled some baklava last night. Yum.

A few guitars, a couple of basses, a MIDI controller, a mandolin, a banjo, a mic, PodFarm2
    Unbridled Enthusiasm
     My music: www.Soundclick.com/markcourter
    opaque slogan
    • Total Posts : 1787
    RE: Peoples views on sampling ? 2008/05/20 19:29:56 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Roflcopter

Die DJ/'musician' die.

Dunno, all the cases I heard about such illegal sampling, it turned out the artist had payed for its use, and I think that it's actually more of an 'industry' thing than a 'piracy' thing.

Don't recall any pirated sample-songs that made it big in the charts, not recently. Don't even think it would last long on myspace or soundclick. Could you give examples to the contrary? Maybe I'm missing something.

Ooh, i was a bit cranky when i wrote that but no i'm not talking about sampling without paying the royalty i just don't think it's proper writing...'cause it ain't.

Mario kart SC, Nintendo Gameboy advance SP, Screen magnifier.

www.myspace.com/opaqueslogan (pre-sonar, raw and nasty)
    Bonzos Ghost
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1112
    RE: Peoples views on sampling ? 2008/05/22 19:15:19 (permalink)
    Direct sampling of someone elses recordings, looped, sliced and diced has never "done it" for me. I prefer to hear real people playing real instruments in real time. It takes a little bit of talent to slice, dice and reassemble pre-recorded music, but not much musical talent at all, it's more of a technical ability than a musical talent. Playing a real instrument, composing and arranging a complete song and performing it is musical talent.
    Fog
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 12302
    RE: Peoples views on sampling ? 2008/05/23 20:25:19 (permalink)
    sampling forms the backbone of the music that got me into music.. it depends on what/how the sampling is done.. there's blatant plagiarism and there's creative sampling.. a big difference.

go look up "timbaland finnish" on youtube for a big example of plagiarism.

I don't mind it ,but I do find it funny where some go on about playing something etc. and assume all samplists are just good at chopping up sounds (go listen to 4hero's later work it's LIVE on real instruments) . Just by sampling things and crate digging records you learn loads about all sorts of music. Although now, due to sample clearance people that changed the whole dynamic of sampling things.

do you think mr cooper/ the winston's would be so well known if it wasn't for his work being sampled later (the amen break)?

some things can only be done on samplers, and not in the real world..

acen
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8v7dRXuzEw&feature=related
    2:30

acen
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfMlQJ5SeFo&feature=related
    3:25

4hero - journey from the light
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=daQwHoyv46A

1:40 - time stretching.. yes 1993!!
    you might notice something familiar sampling wise around that time also.

as for me, do I own a rhodes piano / wurly NO.. samples of them in reason.. could I ever afford the 3 grand pianos I have as reason refills? heck no.

it all boils down to what you do with the machine (sampler) . All the bands who were totally against computers, what are they bouncing their audio on to now.. so yer sampling HAS made it far more accessible for people to make music.. It's a means to an end for me , to convey what I want to.

Bonzos Ghost
    RE: Peoples views on sampling ? 2008/05/23 23:52:51 (permalink)
    I have used samplers for years, but primarily for drums these days. I make my own multi-layered sampled acoustic kits as well as other instruments. There's all sorts of creative things that can be done only with samplers...I agree 100% with that.

The stuff that bugs me are the songs that feature a few repeating sampled loops off someone else's album with someone rapping over top of it. I don't feel that there's a whole lotta creative genious at work there.

As far as virtual instruments, amp modelers, etc. are concerned, that an entirely different subject. They're a godsend these days for all of us. I use them all the time.

I can't afford a grand piano either. Well actually, I probably can......but there's no room...
    Spaceduck
    Max Output Level: -50.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2499
    RE: Peoples views on sampling ? 2008/05/24 00:04:44 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Fog

sampling forms the backbone of the music that got me into music.. it depends on what/how the sampling is done.. there's blatant plagiarism and there's creative sampling.. a big difference.

go look up "timbaland finnish" on youtube for a big example of plagiarism.

I don't mind it ,but I do find it funny where some go on about playing something etc. and assume all samplists are just good at chopping up sounds (go listen to 4hero's later work it's LIVE on real instruments) . Just by sampling things and crate digging records you learn loads about all sorts of music. Although now, due to sample clearance people that changed the whole dynamic of sampling things.

do you think mr cooper/ the winston's would be so well known if it wasn't for his work being sampled later (the amen break)?

some things can only be done on samplers, and not in the real world..

acen
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8v7dRXuzEw&feature=related
    2:30

acen
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfMlQJ5SeFo&feature=related
    3:25

4hero - journey from the light
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=daQwHoyv46A

1:40 - time stretching.. yes 1993!!
    you might notice something familiar sampling wise around that time also.

as for me, do I own a rhodes piano / wurly NO.. samples of them in reason.. could I ever afford the 3 grand pianos I have as reason refills? heck no.

it all boils down to what you do with the machine (sampler) . All the bands who were totally against computers, what are they bouncing their audio on to now.. so yer sampling HAS made it far more accessible for people to make music.. It's a means to an end for me , to convey what I want to.

Great post.

I see sampling as just another technique for composition. It can be done creatively or it can be done poorly. The first heavily sampled album I ever heard was "The Globe" by Big Audio Dynamite back in '91. In it, ex-Clash guitarist Mick Jones took (his own) riffs from old Clash tunes, sliced & diced them and patched together a totally new, creative sound. That was what convinced me that sampling can be a really powerful tool for people who know what they're doing.

ORIGINAL: Bonzos Ghost
    The stuff that bugs me are the songs that feature a few repeating sampled loops off someone else's album with someone rapping over top of it. I don't feel that there's a whole lotta creative genious at work there.

Agreed, I do draw the line there! I just heard that "Every Breath You Take" rap for the first time not long ago. For the first 30 seconds I was like "Huh? I wish that stupid dj would quit clowning around and let me hear the song!"
    post edited by Spaceduck - 2008/05/24 00:27:24
    Bonzos Ghost
    RE: Peoples views on sampling ? 2008/05/24 00:47:23 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Spaceduck

I see sampling as just another technique for composition. It can be done creatively or it can be done poorly. The first heavily sampled album I ever heard was "The Globe" by Big Audio Dynamite back in '91. In it, ex-Clash guitarist Mick Jones took (his own) riffs from old Clash tunes, sliced & diced them and patched together a totally new, creative sound. That was what convinced me that sampling can be a really powerful tool for people who know what they're doing.

Ya, I don't have a problem with artists sampling their own material and turning it into something fresh. They wrote the stuff to begin with afterall. Big fundamental difference there IMO as far as artistic merit is concerned.

I did a lot of pure sampled base weird-assed stuff for awhile when I bought my first sampler years ago. Great fun, but any melodies that developed out of the chaos were my own. I know there's many that don't care about that point, but it means something to me when I hear Puffy Daddy barking away endlessy over Kashmir. Like, what the f**k is that??
    Roflcopter
    RE: Peoples views on sampling ? 2008/05/24 06:27:26 (permalink)
    Ooh, i was a bit cranky when i wrote that but no i'm not talking about sampling without paying the royalty i just don't think it's proper writing...'cause it ain't.

Yeah well, there is of course always the occasional cheapo who doesn't want to pay the piper, and who gets caught, like Kanye West ATM:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/7416823.stm

And then those few seconds can cost you dearly.

Spaceduck
    RE: Peoples views on sampling ? 2008/05/24 06:55:15 (permalink)

Yeah well, there is of course always the occasional cheapo who doesn't want to pay the piper, and who gets caught, like Kanye West ATM:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/7416823.stm

And then those few seconds can cost you dearly.

From the article: "As well as damages of $1m, Firrantello is also demanding that no more copies of the songs be made, sold or performed."

OUCH! Hit'm where it hurts!

That raises a new question... what is maximum penalty for illegally sampling someone else's stuff? I agree that the thief should pay the original artist some amount commensurate to the profits earned. But beyond that... can you really order someone not to perform a song?

There have been many cases of musical plagiarism in the past, like the Beatles stealing the Chiffon's "He's So Fine" and using it in "My Sweet Lord", and the thief is ordered to pay some hefty damages. But afterwards they're still allowed to sell & perform the plagiarized song. It'll be interesting to see how this one turns out.

Roflcopter
    RE: Peoples views on sampling ? 2008/05/24 07:23:14 (permalink)
    can you really order someone not to perform a song?

I don't think that's OK, both from a legal POV or economic. There is no public or personal hazard or grief from playing/selling the song, so as long as everyone pays their dues.... the estate also makes more money that way, and the free publicity will last for years. Oh, that song...

BTW I think that was George H. privately, not with/for the Beatles.

Spaceduck
    RE: Peoples views on sampling ? 2008/05/24 08:07:54 (permalink)

BTW I think that was George H. privately, not with/for the Beatles.

Oops, righto that was GH's solo career. Btw, I think that whole lawsuit was a sham. The G-E-D melody ("He's so fine" or "My sweet lord") is so basic and common that I'm sure it was not direct plagiarism. If anything, maybe GH heard that melody 8 years earlier, buried it in his brain, and years later poof it just pops up while he's noodling on the guitar.

The judge in that case acknowledged that it wasn't deliberate but found GH guilty of "subconsious plagiarism". Crikey, where does it end...?!

Well at least today with samples, there's no question about whether it's stealing or not. (Although I'm waiting for the first case where someone takes a loop, stretches it, EQs it, distorts it, and then claims it was an original recording. 'sbound to happen.)
    kev11111111111111
    RE: Peoples views on sampling ? 2008/05/24 08:47:31 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: opaque slogan

just curious to see what peoples views are on sampling music ?

Die DJ/'musician' die.

LOL Do we have a Morrisey fan in the midst ?:) I think thats a bit harsh though..I'm sure theres plenty of decent writers out there who can create good melodies and use samples too.Never say never !
    kev11111111111111
    RE: Peoples views on sampling ? 2008/05/24 08:57:22 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: ed97643

I am proud of myself when I write something original. To me, that's the entire point: to say something original with music. I never understood why anyone would sample someone elses music (even if edited) in to their own. Some will defend it, and that's fine if it suits them (I guess), but to me it just defeats the whole purpose of being a writer of new, original music.

Yeah me too,theres nothing thats beats the feeling of writing a new tune for sure ! Ofcourse we all have our own opinions and I respect u for saying the whole point for u is originality.Personally I think the whole point for me is to deliver a concept,be it spiritual,egotistical,wishing I could talk to pretty girls without constantly looking at my feet etc etc ! I think if the listener feels / hears the concept come across then I've acheived my goal.The music,wheter sample based or entirely original serves as a mean to that goal and a bridge.I've used about one sample in my life,all the rest of the stuff has been original.But I wouldn't hestitate to use a sample in the future if it served a specific artistic goal !
    Thanks for your post.
    Kev
    kev11111111111111
    RE: Peoples views on sampling ? 2008/05/24 09:12:40 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: stratcat33511
    I think technology makes it easier for Monkeys to put sounds together and call it music composition

Again I think this is a bit harsh.Though ofcourse there are for sure A LOT of people that think of themselves as producers but really are just loopy loopers .What about the other side of the coin though ?I think unlike pure musical composition Music Tech is still in its early days.An earlier poster remarked that most of what is being done in music,has already been done.I'd pretty much agree with this.Sure theres people using atonal techinques etc,but I can't see the day when your average Joe is gonna go to Virgin to buy a copy of the latest serialist artist (wow like the maths in this piece is really gonna grab u by the balls man) !
    I think technology is opening doors for sure in this sense.Early days...who knows the full potential of the DAW ? Thanks for your post.Hope I didn't go on to much there and make you YAWN !! LOL
    Kev

kev11111111111111
    RE: Peoples views on sampling ? 2008/05/24 09:37:39 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Beagle

I think this thread has contributions to it which are actually talking about two different things. kev11111111111111: can we get a clarification on your original question? when I hear the term "sampling" I am thinking about using samplers triggered by MIDI to create (eventually) an audio output. some of the replies above are addressing that scenario. others, however, seem to be responding to using what I refer to as "audio loops" - which is an entirely different thing. audio loops are phrases of audio created by someone and recorded to be copied and pasted into a project.

for my take, concerning both (just in case):
    for samplers, I see no difference in using samplers triggered by MIDI than I do someone using a synthesizer. it uses MIDI signals to trigger a hardware synth. same thing. synthesizer workstations allow the musician to edit MIDI on the keyboard's onboard processor and save it. there's really no difference IMO than using MIDI to trigger samplers on a computer.

as far as audio loops:
    I suppose they have their place and I wouldn't say that anyone using audio loops is not a musician. but if that's ALL they use then I would agree with Nick's statements above. is it creative to paste together a song out of loops only? sure. but it's not the same thing as creating a song. using loops to augment one's creative talent is one thing. using loops to "create a song" is quite another. that's really not much more than creating a mix from other songs (DJ'ing). Nothing wrong with DJ's, mind you, but they're not creating anything unique - they're just pasting together work which others have created for a specific purpose.

hi !
    Just to clarify yep I mean audio samples.I think I'd pretty much go with you on this one.Ofcourse if a song just uses samples,it's not going to leave a big impression on me of the Artist's creativity.However like I said in an ealier post,sometimes the intention is more important than the sums of its parts (IMHO).Dance music and DJing...well if the DJ succeeds in lifting peoples spirits and getting them to boogy then that should be all that matters.Artistic merit,perhaps not a great deal no ! But if people come away feeling like they've had a good night then what can be better ?
    I guess it all depends on context.A jazz arranger certainly wouldn't be respected for sampling Miles,yet a Trip Hop Artist could no problem.
    I totally agree with you 100 % about VSTs.I couldn't live without em !!
    Thanks for your post !
    Kev
    kev11111111111111
    RE: Peoples views on sampling ? 2008/05/24 09:38:59 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: krizrox

art is in the ear of the beholder :-) Rock on!

+ 1 to that Krizrox !!!
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1