AnsweredPhoto Management in Windows 10

Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
Author
henkejs
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 489
2017/02/15 17:21:25 (permalink)

Photo Management in Windows 10

My question doesn't have anything to do with Cakewalk, which is why I'm posting it here. Maybe one of you computer whizzes can help me with this problem. My wife wants to have paper prints made of a bunch of our digital pictures. In the past I would use Picasa to view the pictures, which are organized by date in subdirectories on the computer. When I saw a picture I wanted to print, I would tell Picasa to tag it. When I was done looking through the directories, I could have Picasa move copies of all the tagged pictures to another directory. Then when it was time to upload pictures to Costco, or wherever, for printing I could simply upload that directory in one batch since all the pictures I wanted were already in there.

Google no longer supports Picasa, so I couldn't install it on the new computer. Instead they want ALL your pictures stored and organized on their servers, which I'm not willing to do. Now I can't for the life of me figure out how to do this seemingly simple thing. I've figured out how to view the pictures in the Windows 10 photo app and even how to select individual pictures to be placed in an album of my choosing (for example, "Photos to be Printed"). What I can't figure out is how to get all the pictures in that album to go where I want them.

I realize actual photo albums are going the way of buggy whips and VHS players, but we can't be the only people who still do this. I probably just haven't found the right software yet (something expensive used by professionals, no doubt).

A few of my songs

SONAR Platinum, Cakewalk by BandLab, Windows 10, Focusrite Scarlett 6i6.
paulo
Max Output Level: -13 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 6218
Re: Photo Management in Windows 10 2017/02/15 17:48:18 (permalink) ☼ Best Answerby henkejs 2017/02/15 21:39:54
Maybe I'm missing the point, but can you not just set up a new Pictures folder, call it print or something and then just drag/drop copy the ones you want printed into that folder?
henkejs
Re: Photo Management in Windows 10 2017/02/15 21:45:15 (permalink)
Paulo, thanks for the reply. Mostly it's a question of efficiency. When you're going through dozens of photos in different directories and you want to view them one at a time to decide which ones are worth printing, it really slows you down to switch back and forth between the file viewer and the file explorer to keep copying files to where you want them. It's much faster to tag them (one click) and then perform all the file transfers at once. I guess I was spoiled with my WinXP machine and expected Win10 to have greater functionality rather than less.

A few of my songs

craigb
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 41704
Re: Photo Management in Windows 10 2017/02/16 00:00:20 (permalink)
If that's what you're doing, you might try this (if all of the directories are under one main folder).  Do a search for the file extension from the main folder (e.g., *.jpg) and you will be presented with a search window with all of your photos.  Then you can do lots of things like viewing them with large icons (select and print), or create a separate, temporary folder (pin one to each side of the window for easy copying) and, for every photo you want, copy it to the temporary folder and print all of them from there.

Time for all of you to head over to Beyond My DAW!
craigb
Re: Photo Management in Windows 10 2017/02/16 00:01:04 (permalink)
BTW - Personally, I still use Picasa locally.  I don't let Google keep anything of mine online.

sharke
  • Total Posts : 13933
Re: Photo Management in Windows 10 2017/02/16 01:41:44 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby SteveStrummerUK 2017/02/16 02:55:14
Try IrfanView. It's an incredibly powerful photo management/editing system and totally free. I bet it will do exactly what you're asking. 

http://www.irfanview.com/

James
Windows 10, Sonar SPlat (64-bit), Intel i7-4930K, 32GB RAM, RME Babyface, AKAI MPK Mini, Roland A-800 Pro, Focusrite VRM Box, Komplete 10 Ultimate, 2012 American Telecaster!
paulo
Re: Photo Management in Windows 10 2017/02/16 07:01:36 (permalink)
henkejs
Paulo, thanks for the reply. Mostly it's a question of efficiency. When you're going through dozens of photos in different directories and you want to view them one at a time to decide which ones are worth printing, it really slows you down to switch back and forth between the file viewer and the file explorer to keep copying files to where you want them. It's much faster to tag them (one click) and then perform all the file transfers at once. I guess I was spoiled with my WinXP machine and expected Win10 to have greater functionality rather than less.

Does this not do what you want ?

DrLumen
Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 621
Re: Photo Management in Windows 10 2017/02/16 13:50:14 (permalink)
Assuming you are viewing from the icons in Windows explorer you could create a batch file in notepad to copy the selected file into a separate directory then call it using the Send To function in explorer.

If you want to try this, copy the text below and paste into notepad.
set tgtdir=c:\pictemp
if not exist %tgtdir% mkdir %tgtdir%
xcopy %1 %tgtdir%

Of course, you can change c:\pictemp to whatever directory you want to use.

Save it as copypic.bat in the SendTo directory at:
C:\Users\(your user id)\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\SendTo
--Be sure to use the Save As Type option to All Files (*.*)

Then when you see a pic in explorer that you want to have printed, right click the file, go the Send to flyout and select the copypic.bat option.

When you have transferred them to whatever printing service, you can delete the temporary directory.

Just one possible way...

-When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.

Sonar Platinum / Intel i7-4790K / AsRock Z97 / 32GB RAM / Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB / Behringer FCA610 / M-Audio Sport 2x4 / Win7 x64 Pro / WDC Black HDD's / EVO 850 SSD's / Alesis Q88 / Boss DS-330 / Korg nanoKontrol / Novation Launch Control / 14.5" Lava Lamp
henkejs
Re: Photo Management in Windows 10 2017/02/16 14:44:54 (permalink)
Thanks to all for taking the time to offer your suggestions.

@paulo: Windows Live Photo Gallery was apparently discontinued in Win10. From the discussions I've read, it looks as though if you upgrade from Win7 to Win10 you'll keep Photo Gallery. My PC came with Win10 and I couldn't get Windows Essentials (with Photo Gallery) to install. Google search shows some workarounds for the installation problem, but I haven't pursued them. It seems as though a lot of people preferred Photo Gallery to the new Photos app in Win10, but apparently Microsoft thought differently.

@craigb: I was really disappointed when I went to install Picasa on my new PC and found out it was no longer supported. It was my favorite photo management tool on WinXP. Like you, I'm not going to let Google keep my documents online.

@sharke: I downloaded IrfanView this morning. The interface is a bit clunky, but the program has a lot of powerful tools. I've figured out how to make it do what I want without too many extra steps. And "free" is always good.

@DrLumen: Your batch file works great with Windows File Explorer. Just this morning I was wondering how the targets for the "Send to" dialog get populated, and now I know.

I think a combination of IrfanView and the File Explorer/batch file method will do everything I need. Thanks again everyone.

A few of my songs

paulo
Re: Photo Management in Windows 10 2017/02/16 15:12:38 (permalink)
henkejs

@paulo: Windows Live Photo Gallery was apparently discontinued in Win10. From the discussions I've read, it looks as though if you upgrade from Win7 to Win10 you'll keep Photo Gallery. My PC came with Win10 and I couldn't get Windows Essentials (with Photo Gallery) to install. Google search shows some workarounds for the installation problem, but I haven't pursued them. It seems as though a lot of people preferred Photo Gallery to the new Photos app in Win10, but apparently Microsoft thought differently.

Ok, sorry. I wasn't aware of that. Mrs Paulo's w10 lappy has it and that was w10 from day 1 so I assumed it was still current.
craigb
Re: Photo Management in Windows 10 2017/02/16 20:00:35 (permalink)
henkejs
@craigb: I was really disappointed when I went to install Picasa on my new PC and found out it was no longer supported. It was my favorite photo management tool on WinXP. Like you, I'm not going to let Google keep my documents online.

True, it's not supported anymore (meaning no more updates), but I still installed it on my Windows 10 machine and use it every day.

patm300e
Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 845
Re: Photo Management in Windows 10 2017/02/21 07:16:26 (permalink)
I use Photoshop Elements...The Organizer is very nice.  I typically do not spend the time to edit the pictures though.  I take too many, but the batch import can automatically fix red eye!

SPLAT on a Home built i3 16 GB RAM 64-bit Windows 10 Home Premium 120GB SSD (OS) 2TB Data Drive.  Behringer XR-18 USB 2.0 Interface. FaderPort control.
Moshkito
Max Output Level: -37.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3765
Re: Photo Management in Windows 10 2017/02/21 10:30:36 (permalink)
patm300e
I use Photoshop Elements...The Organizer is very nice.  I typically do not spend the time to edit the pictures though.  I take too many, but the batch import can automatically fix red eye!

Why the heck would I want a program to "organize" my pictures, since I already have them organized in their own folder with dates?  Weird ... allowing a program to do for you what it can not do, and change dates on things left and right, which is bad. My box of negatives is listed by dates, and event. So I know where my GONG pictures come from, and other bands, for example.

From a professional standpoint, and I ran a photo lab that did school and sports piccies for kids and all that, and we printed everything with a Lucht and Peko and such. The bigger problem for these photo labs, was that they were not turning digital fast enough to keep up with the demand, like ID cards the same day or next as the school pictures and all that. The printing machines at the time (18 years ago) were the crap, and the paper was even more expensive, than feasible for any photo lab.

Nowadays, you can buy the paper at Wal-Mart, or Fred Meyer/Kroger and it's not that bad, however, I have not seen, any program that can bring up the pictures, help clean it up and then print it, and maybe Photoshop is the better one here, but I am not about to spend $600 dollars on it. However, for professional work this would be necessary, as you could clear spots and dots and scratches on the film (if scanned), and take out red eye and such for fairly good family pictures ... with one exception. I am not a fan of these pictures beyond 8x10 at all, as the quality is not good enough it seems, but I wonder if the problem is the computer thinking it can not print something that looks like a 16x20 on the computer, but in actuality you only need a 5x7. That resolution and size change is a bit worrisome, and not an issue in a photo lab. We had cameras that could take expand with lenses and such to a fairly large print.

But there was a trick here for larger pictures. 8x10's and beyond from a 35mm film is grainy. But from a 645 film, or a 120/220 film it's not an issue, until you go past 16x20. I have not studied or seen how this has been handled on any digital camera as yet, and have been trying to find information on it, only to get side stepped to something else about digital. The "size" of the digital print can determine how good your print will be, but this is something that is usually only visible on a professional lab, not at home.

Music is not about notes and chords! My poem is not about the computer or monitor or letters! It's about how I was able to translate it from my insides! 
DrLumen
Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 621
Re: Photo Management in Windows 10 2017/02/21 14:17:26 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby SteveStrummerUK 2017/02/21 15:55:57
The size of the printed pic depends on the resolution of the camera and the dpi of the pic (if set in software) and printer. IMS, the digital printers at the drug stores and the like are about 240dpi. In the case of Walgreens, they have a crop utility in their uploader so you can set the size of the prints regardless of the dpi and resolution. Then is when you get crap enlargements like when you have a low res pic printed at poster size. When I create graphics or have them print a picture I let the dpi and resolution dictate the size. Actually, to be more correct, I dictate the dpi so the size comes out based on the resolution. Eg. 3840 x 4800 pixels @ 240 dpi (x&y) would be a 16" x 20".

-When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.

Sonar Platinum / Intel i7-4790K / AsRock Z97 / 32GB RAM / Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB / Behringer FCA610 / M-Audio Sport 2x4 / Win7 x64 Pro / WDC Black HDD's / EVO 850 SSD's / Alesis Q88 / Boss DS-330 / Korg nanoKontrol / Novation Launch Control / 14.5" Lava Lamp
sharke
Re: Photo Management in Windows 10 2017/02/21 15:23:15 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby SteveStrummerUK 2017/02/21 15:56:08
Moshkito
Why the heck would I want a program to "organize" my pictures, since I already have them organized in their own folder with dates?  Weird ... allowing a program to do for you what it can not do, and change dates on things left and right, which is bad. My box of negatives is listed by dates, and event. So I know where my GONG pictures come from, and other bands, for example.

There are plenty of reasons why you'd want better organizational functionality than just grouping things into folders by date. You say you list your box of negatives by dates and event. Well what if you wanted to access all of the photos you took on one day, but at another time you wanted to access all of the photos taken on one day but only at a specific event, or time? What if you wanted to access all of the photos you've ever taken at f2.8? Or with a slow shutter speed? What if you had all of your photos tagged with keywords, so for example if you're working on a project that needs a photo containing a fire hydrant, you can simply search for "fire hydrant" and bingo, all of them appear? What if you wanted to rate your photos out of 5, and then you wanted to access all photos rated 4 or higher taken with a certain lens at Gong shows between a specified range of dates? 

You can do all of this with Lightroom, and it's easy. 

You can subscribe to Adobe's Photography Plan, which includes Lightroom and Photoshop, for only $9.99/month. It's amazing value if you're a keen or professional photographer, and some of the development tools that are available now - stuff like sharpening and noise reduction - are almost magical in their abilities. Amazing times indeed. 

James
Windows 10, Sonar SPlat (64-bit), Intel i7-4930K, 32GB RAM, RME Babyface, AKAI MPK Mini, Roland A-800 Pro, Focusrite VRM Box, Komplete 10 Ultimate, 2012 American Telecaster!
craigb
Re: Photo Management in Windows 10 2017/02/21 15:40:43 (permalink)
I don't know of anyone except you, Pedro, who organizes thousands of photos only by date.  I have well over a hundred thousand images that would be completely useless if I didn't have something to help me organize, catalog, bulk rename and add search tags.

paulo
Re: Photo Management in Windows 10 2017/02/21 15:50:06 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby craigb 2017/02/22 01:42:20
craigb
I don't know of anyone except you, Pedro, who organizes thousands of photos only by date.  I have well over a hundred thousand images that would be completely useless if I didn't have something to help me organize, catalog, bulk rename and add search tags.

You need to start thinking outside of the box and look within yourself. Don't just settle for what is popular and easy. It's not about the type of photo or the order of the photos, it's about what you feel.
John
Forum Host
  • Total Posts : 30467
Re: Photo Management in Windows 10 2017/02/21 16:24:14 (permalink)
Windows file explorer does have preview as an option. Use large thumbnails  have the file preview window pane open and you can do it all from there. Also have another file explorer open and simply drag the ones you want to print to it a new directory. 

I'm not sure which version started this but its been in Windows for awhile now.

Best
John
SteveStrummerUK
  • Total Posts : 31112
Re: Photo Management in Windows 10 2017/02/21 18:27:15 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby sharke 2017/02/22 00:04:19
John
Windows file explorer does have preview as an option. Use large thumbnails  have the file preview window pane open and you can do it all from there. Also have another file explorer open and simply drag the ones you want to print to it a new directory. 

Hey John you old devil ....

What do you keep in the second folder down 

Music:     The Coffee House BandVeRy MeTaL

paulo
Re: Photo Management in Windows 10 2017/02/21 18:47:44 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby SteveStrummerUK 2017/02/21 18:49:07
SteveStrummerUK
John

Hey John you old devil ....

What do you keep in the second folder down 

SteveStrummerUK
Re: Photo Management in Windows 10 2017/02/21 18:53:44 (permalink)

That folder probably contains some quite innocent music-related stuff.

Or a guide on how to succeed in the noble art of inviting female ladies to attend a soiree of some description.

paulo
Re: Photo Management in Windows 10 2017/02/21 18:59:00 (permalink)
SteveStrummerUK

Or a guide on how to succeed in the noble art of inviting female ladies to attend a soiree of some description.

Could be a map or diagram of some kind.......?

G marks the spot ?
SteveStrummerUK
Re: Photo Management in Windows 10 2017/02/21 19:01:40 (permalink)
paulo
SteveStrummerUK

Could be a map or diagram of some kind.......?

G marks the spot ?

You are a terrible influence on me Paulo.

paulo
Re: Photo Management in Windows 10 2017/02/21 19:05:50 (permalink)
SteveStrummerUK

I have no idea what you mean by that.
SteveStrummerUK
Re: Photo Management in Windows 10 2017/02/21 19:11:18 (permalink)
paulo
SteveStrummerUK

I have no idea what you mean by that.

OK then.

SteveStrummerUK
Re: Photo Management in Windows 10 2017/02/21 19:43:20 (permalink)

Mind you ....

... I think a hearty and rousing "Well Done!" is in order.

sharke
Re: Photo Management in Windows 10 2017/02/22 00:05:40 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby SteveStrummerUK 2017/02/22 12:35:08
Remind me never to post any screen shots of my Windows folder structure. 

Especially not from my D: drive. 

James
craigb
Re: Photo Management in Windows 10 2017/02/22 01:44:25 (permalink)
Well, since you guys are already having fun with John, I guess I won't point out how he didn't read Post #4 before his reply... 

paulo
Re: Photo Management in Windows 10 2017/02/22 05:38:58 (permalink)
SteveStrummerUK

Mind you ....

... I think a hearty and rousing "Well Done!" is in order.

Well done.
paulo
Re: Photo Management in Windows 10 2017/02/22 05:43:44 (permalink)
craigb
Well, since you guys are already having fun with John, I guess I won't point out how he didn't read Post #4 before his reply... 

And I won't point out who got best answer thingy for post #2. 
Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1