Piano student needs some 'soul'

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Janet
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 8094
2010/10/16 22:49:37 (permalink)

Piano student needs some 'soul'

I've got a brilliant piano student now that I'm afraid is going to pass me up before long.  She practices so much her mother gets on to her about it!  She NEVER disappoints at a lesson.  Recently I started teaching her to play from a chord sheet, partly because that usually helps them realize why it's handy to be very familiar with chords. :-)

Problem is (if it IS a problem) she doesn't seem to have any emotion in her playing yet.  (She's about 13)  She's never written any music, doesn't like poetry and has never even thought of writing a tune.  Obviously, not every great musician becomes a composer, but I thought there'd be SOMETHING there. 

Is there a way to teach emotion?  I read recently about having students imagine a story about a particular song (what it makes them think of) and wondered if that would help.  Or if she just needs to wait to have her heart broken maybe.  :( 

58 Replies Related Threads

Jose7822
    • Total Posts : 10031
    Re:Piano student needs some 'soul' 2010/10/16 23:36:38 (permalink)
    Teach her the Blues or some Jazz (the real stuff, not Norah Jones) or even Latin music (Salsa, Latin Jazz).

That'll do it :-)

Intel Q9400 2.66 GHz
    8 GB of RAM @ 800 Mhz
    ATI Radeon HD 3650
    Windows 7 Professional (SP1) x64
    Cubase 6.03 x64
    Sonar PE 8.5.3 x64
    RME FireFace 400
    Frontier Design Alpha Track
    Studio Logic VMK-188 Plus

http://www.youtube.com/user/SonarHD
    Beagle
    • Total Posts : 50621
    Re:Piano student needs some 'soul' 2010/10/17 08:41:24 (permalink)
    have you tried playing something for her and letting her hear and see how you do it?

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    The Maillard Reaction
    • Total Posts : 31918
    Re:Piano student needs some 'soul' 2010/10/17 08:57:11 (permalink)
    Janet,

Here's an anecdote that may be helpful.

When I was 20ish I was in the Fine Arts program at FSU... my teachers were preoccupied with talking about "art", "asthetic", "meaning", theme etc. etc.

I kept asking them to simply teach me how to paint. Which they refused to do... it was beneath them.

Now that I am middle age I firmly believe it is foolish to think that a youngster should be judged for a capacity to be emotional. I think it is totally appropriate to focus on development of skills. I wish I had the strength to argue that point of view when I was a student.

The student will, through their own personal growth, eventually display who they are and what they feel.

Some folks are virtuosic and never have deep emotions. That's just who they are.

Other folks develop deep sensitivity and if they have the skills... get to share the emotions with the world.

Anyways, I think you are correct to be concerned... but I don't think there is much to worry about.

At the same time I think it is necessity to supply the student with lots of great music to listen too. Let the music speak for itself.

best regards,
    mike

Lanceindastudio
    Max Output Level: -29 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4604
    Re:Piano student needs some 'soul' 2010/10/17 09:49:11 (permalink)
    Soul cant be taught.

Asus P8Z77-V LE PLUS Motherboard   
    i7 3770k CPU
    32 gigs RAM
    Presonus AudioBox iTwo
    Windows 10 64 bit, SONAR PLATINUM 64 bit
    Lots of plugins and softsynths and one shot samples, loops
    Gauge ECM-87, MCA SP-1, Alesis AM51
    Presonus Eureka
    Mackie HR824's and matching subwoofer
    marcos69
    Max Output Level: -26 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4950
    Re:Piano student needs some 'soul' 2010/10/17 12:10:37 (permalink)
    Playing with soul entails playing against emotions.  I don't advocate anything as drastic as having her remember the time her puppy got run over, but have her relate to happy or gloomy events that have happened in her life.  It involves visulisation, so if she can mentally be at the place where she had a blast at her birthday party, then she can bring that out in her music.
    post edited by marcos69 - 2010/10/17 12:12:01

Mark Wessels

At CD Baby

At Soundclick
    jamesyoyo
    Max Output Level: -40.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3460
    Re:Piano student needs some 'soul' 2010/10/17 14:24:58 (permalink)
    Have her listen to Ray Charles' "Modern Sounds in Country and Western Music".
    gamblerschoice
    Max Output Level: -43 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3226
    Re:Piano student needs some 'soul' 2010/10/17 14:53:50 (permalink)
    I think I'll side with Mr. Mike....Mike?..., yeah, mike above.

Maybe she is a technician. Maybe her (subconscious)drive is to perfect the technical aspect of that keyboard until, after she has learned everything there is to know about the "how", she might endeavor into the "why". And then, maybe not.

Who knows, her tech side might reach much deeper, and once she understands this instrument she will "defeat" the string section, then the horns, etc.

So maybe the challenge is for the teacher, not the student. Can this teacher find and present more technically challenging pieces that will keep her interest up at the same high level?

One other thought, maybe an assignment to compose a short piece. Lay it out with a framework, a skeleton of some sort and have her "fill in the blanks". If nothing else, I bet it will be technically perfect....

Later
    Albert

http://www.showcaseyourmusic.com/lothlorienfantasy
    http://www.gamblerschoice.us/

He's a walking contradiction,
    partly truth and partly fiction, takin' every wrong direction on that
    lonesome road back home.
    Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:Piano student needs some 'soul' 2010/10/17 15:35:43 (permalink)
    I would give her some music just to listen to. Old soul..... Al Green, Barry White, Brother James Brown, some jazz, Ella Fitzgerald, Ray Charles, the masters Bach, Beethoven, but not all at once. A little at a time...maybe one a week. Then ask her what did the music make her feel. Draw her out. Listen to her answers and don't force the issue.

At the same time..... but after a few weeks of listening... give her an assignment.... write me a short tune that is sad, happy, dark, ..... etc....

You can lead a horse to water, but you have to convince the horse that it was his idea.

Thinking back to my piano teacher at that same age.... I just wanted to learn the chords, and really didn't want to take lessons and shortly thereafter, at 14,  I gravitated to the guitar. I remember her commenting to me to "feel the music flowing through you.... just don't bang the keys"...and she taught,  no,  actually required what I thought at the time was the stupidest thing... as I played anything,,, she wanted my hands moving up and down in a flowing motion as I played. Man did I think that was soooooo dumb. I now understand the reason. If the hands flowed with the music, the mind would follow..... like Caesar says about the dogs...... get the body moving and the mind will follow.

If you know she will be with you for a time.... impart this knowledge.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    jimmyman
    Max Output Level: -53.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2193
    Re:Piano student needs some 'soul' 2010/10/17 16:49:15 (permalink)

A piano (basically speaking) is not an instrument that allows one to be emotive
    or soulful. It can, but not as easily as say a guitar (in a comparative sense). It requires
    a certain touch, strike of the key to "vary" the dynamics. In some ways (trying not
    to be perfect) for lack of better words. I good student is a challenge to a teacher
    and a good teacher knows how to monitor a students "level" and adjust the
    challenges to the student "just enough" to keep them "trying" to achieve.

All students have "something" different about them in there persona. As a teacher
    one might "change a strategy" in order to (for lack of better words) "throw them off"
    If they're lessons are easy or they constantly practice "something" it (can) become
    a "repetition" like muscle memory. That in itself is good. On the downside it (can)
    become robotic in a sense.

Becoming a going through the motions thing. There are different types of composing
    also. A person playing a "solo" is composing right on the spot. Also the "type" of
    music being taught is a factor. Without a a student being matured as a player they
    many times will "play" more sterile, but to be fair if a student is playing a piece that
    is "typical" then typical it will sound under that circumstance, (all things considered)

If (just using one example) the student isn't playing with "feel" give them a lesson
    that requires them to play a tune that has the "feel" written in the lesson.
    IE the melody. A typical piano sonata or something of that nature may not be
    bluesy or emotive like something else might be.

However getting "too far" off the beaten path of the typical lesson might
    be too much too soon also so its a "little bit" at a "little time" thing. There
    will always be "some" student who technically speaking can or may become
    as good or even better than the teacher. In cases where the student is
    technically very good at that then it's time to challenge them in other ways.

If I'm correct in saying so a piano piece might use the left and right hand
    as actually one unit to play a piece.

in contrast using the left hand to "play chords" and the right hand to play
    the melody in "like say a jazz tune" makes things two parts. The piano player is
    now the "band" (left hand) and the "singer" the right hand (if that makes sense).

If a student is playing "red river Vally" it's going to sound like "red river Vally"
    but even "red river Vally" could be arranged in to an all out blues tune if
    written and arranged so. 

Maybe "feel" can't be taught but I would think teaching one how to be
    "creative" can. And creativity I would think can become feel.

post edited by jimmyman - 2010/10/17 16:52:00
    Jose7822
    Re:Piano student needs some 'soul' 2010/10/17 16:54:52 (permalink)
    Critical listening is essential to grow as a musician, but it is not until you have hands on experience that you really start getting what you're listening to.  She doesn't have to think about past experiences to do this either.  She just needs to learn to feel the music.  Teach her a style that grooves hard, like the ones I mentioned earlier.  Have her play with her eyes closed (if she indeed has no technical issues with the piece) and record her playing so that she can better understand what you're demonstrating.  We think we know how we play until we listen to ourselves playing through a recorded medium. 

Take it from a fellow music (Guitar) instructor ;-)

Intel Q9400 2.66 GHz
    8 GB of RAM @ 800 Mhz
    ATI Radeon HD 3650
    Cubase 6.03 x64
    Sonar PE 8.5.3 x64
    RME FireFace 400

Janet
    Re:Piano student needs some 'soul' 2010/10/17 17:17:57 (permalink)
    Thanks everyone! I appreciate all the ideas.  I'm not really worried about her, but have thought about it enough I wanted to hear your ideas.  I've had one other student like her recently, and it just took several months of talking to her about emotion in her playing and she began to get it.  I'm sure this gal will too.  I like the idea of having her compose something short.  I think once she gets more comfortable with chords and her own playing I'll do just that. 

I have another student quite a bit younger that's already composed (and performed) a few of her own pieces.  Obviously we're all put together differently and come at music from a different angle.  I just want to be able to help their weaknesses while helping them shine in their strengths.  Jose, you're idea of recording her is a great one too.

All great thoughts, guys.  Thanks!  :-)
    Janet
    Re:Piano student needs some 'soul' 2010/10/17 17:28:29 (permalink)
    "A piano (basically speaking) is not an instrument that allows one to be emotive
    or soulful."

Sorry Jimmy.  I'll have to beg to differ with you on that one. 
    Jose7822
    Re:Piano student needs some 'soul' 2010/10/17 19:37:02 (permalink)
    Janet

"A piano (basically speaking) is not an instrument that allows one to be emotive
    or soulful."

I agree with Janet.  Good pianists do inject soul into their performance, so I don't agree with that either.

An example is the keyboard player in my band, he ALWAYS moves me with his playing.  The guy is super talented, I love him (no homo, of course :-P).

Intel Q9400 2.66 GHz
    8 GB of RAM @ 800 Mhz
    ATI Radeon HD 3650
    Cubase 6.03 x64
    Sonar PE 8.5.3 x64
    RME FireFace 400

timidi
    Max Output Level: -21 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5449
    Re:Piano student needs some 'soul' 2010/10/17 20:23:24 (permalink)
    she's friggin 13 Janet. LOL. Soul???? not yet. I would concentrate on planting the seeds of soul and let her continue on her technical journey with you ever so gracefully emitting YOUR soul to her... The "soul" is about YOU not her at this point. Pound the piano, shock her, Do a libarace version of chopstix, LOL, play with your feet. Then, tell her to play only 4 notes but take them everywhere. Show her the weird experimental side of music. Make her play "bad" notes and let her feel their badness, then show her how they can be used to be good. She will emulate YOU. 

just rambling...............

ASUS P8P67, i7-2600K, CORSAIR 16GB, HIS 5450, 3 Samsung SSD 850, Win7 64, RME AIO.

https://timbowman.bandcamp.com/releases

jimmyman
    Max Output Level: -53.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2193
    Re:Piano student needs some 'soul' 2010/10/17 21:06:19 (permalink)
    Janet

or soulful."

To take "one" sentence, which in this case describes the skill that it takes to
    be a good, great, emotive player of "any instrument" for that matter is to give
    the instrument the "utmost respect", not to say that the instrument "Can Not"
    be  emotive or soulful.

For me to say that an instrument "is not" or does not allow anything is in
    the stages of development of the person, in this case student.

If for one example the child's hands are not fully grown and do not have
    the finger length of an adult then things are different. there are many things
    that factor in.

I said:
       A piano (basically speaking) is not an instrument that allows one to be emotive
    or soulful. It can, but not as easily as say a guitar (in a comparative sense). It requires
    a certain touch, strike of the key to "vary" the dynamics. In some ways (trying not
    to be perfect) for lack of better words

I play the piano but my skill at it is far below what a good piano player does.

RobertB
    • Total Posts : 11256
    Re:Piano student needs some 'soul' 2010/10/17 21:10:11 (permalink)
    I'm inclined to agree with Mike.You can give her the skills, the tools. Life will provide the emotion.
    Yeah, she needs that first good heartbreak. And, perhaps more importantly, the good stuff that preceeded it.
    You can't express something, if you have no idea what it feels like.
    There's so much that we only come to appreciate as we go through life.
    The obvious, like the horrendous pain of a heart break. Or the giddiness of falling in love in the first place.
    And less so, but expressable(as I have heard from a certain pianist).
    The warmth of the sun on the back of your neck.
    The crisp smell of a fresh fallen snow.
    Crocuses proudly pushing forth in the Spring.
    And so on...
    Give her the tools. When she has something to say, she will be ready.

My Soundclick Page
    SONAR Professional, X3eStudio,W7 64bit, AMD Athlon IIx4 2.8Ghz, 4GB RAM, 64bit, AKAI EIE Pro, Nektar Impact LX61,Alesis DM6,Alesis ControlPad,Yamaha MG10/2,Alesis M1Mk2 monitors,Samson Servo300,assorted guitars,Lava Lamp

Shimozu-Kushiari or Bob
    Janet
    Re:Piano student needs some 'soul' 2010/10/17 21:46:59 (permalink)
    Jose, my son's like that, although he rarely plays. :(  I asked him to play a few minutes before my father-in-law's funeral (the 'real' pianist hadn't come yet.)  He almost moved me to tears from the first measure.  'Soul' (or whatever it is) just oozes from his fingers.  Unfortunately, she came before long, opened her books and played absolutely flawlessly and brilliantly.  But I'd rather listen to him for a million years.  One of these days I'm going to get him over here for a couple of hours and record him (when he's in the right mood) just so I can listen to him as much as I want.  Come to think of it, I didn't have to teach him that.  He just learned it.  So maybe I shouldn't have to worry about her.  Maybe you either have it or you don't.  OK, maybe that's what I'm worried about.  lol

Oh well, I'm rambling too.  I rarely have students that stick with it long enough for me to really take them anywhere.  I just want to do the best I can with her. 

Tim, yeah, I know...just wanted to chat about it.  :-)  She's just so perfect.  Man, if I would have practiced like she does...I might have gone somewhere! 

True Jimmy.  But let's compare apples with apples.  A good guitar player and a good piano player.  I think they can both make their instrument sing. :-) 

Right, Bob. :-)  I can't wait to hear her in a year or so. This girl's going places.  :-)
    post edited by Janet - 2010/10/17 21:48:24
    AT
    • Total Posts : 10654
    Re:Piano student needs some 'soul' 2010/10/17 22:55:34 (permalink)
    Janet, as said above she is only 13.  I warrent most of what she has to say is fairly cliché (no offence to those that are young, but read some their poetry).  I would expose her to more soulful music (make that some practice) but teach her the chops.  I'm sure life will come along and she'll learn to channel emotions to the piano, or not. 

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    Lanceindastudio
    Max Output Level: -29 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4604
    Re:Piano student needs some 'soul' 2010/10/17 23:03:26 (permalink)
    Herbie Hancock is doing some cool new stuff

Asus P8Z77-V LE PLUS Motherboard   
    i7 3770k CPU
    32 gigs RAM
    Presonus AudioBox iTwo
    Windows 10 64 bit, SONAR PLATINUM 64 bit
    Lots of plugins and softsynths and one shot samples, loops
    Gauge ECM-87, MCA SP-1, Alesis AM51
    Presonus Eureka
    Mackie HR824's and matching subwoofer
    Janet
    Re:Piano student needs some 'soul' 2010/10/17 23:10:45 (permalink)
    Thanks again!

The scene from 'Mr. Holland's Opus' where he tells the red-headed clarinet (?) player to 'play the sunset' just popped into my head.   I think he was on to something there. :-) 
    Philip
    Max Output Level: -34.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4062
    Re:Piano student needs some 'soul' 2010/10/18 07:13:57 (permalink)
    Ah!  The emotive extravert vs virtuoso intravert. JMO!:
    Personalities seem like the 4 elements: Fire, Earth, Water, Air
    All are excellent but only one successfully dominates a song, IMHO.

Many virtuoso players try to fake genres that are soulish or spiritual ... and it helps stablish their exquisite graces, IMHO.  But virtuosos, IMHO, just don't have enough devils troubling their souls, so these innocents have very little soul-conviction when they play the piano.

Asian girls are notorious for their exquisite orchestral graces ... but many fail miserably with hip-hop emotives.

Likewise, many emotive singers try to fake virtuoso graces ... and that helps their grace-less groove loops blossom a bit.

Furthermore, children just don't have inner-demons and/or adult sins troubling their souls ... 13 y/o girls are just minors and maybe don't need my proud soulish pomp!

Girls, whose precious innocence dominates, must be protected by you, the teacher (or parents) ... to teach her piano songs that are not PG-14 or worse, etc. ... and not to be a stumblingblock to her innocence.

That said, I'd possibly get her away from grammatical sight reading a while ... and into playing her fav songs/hymns by ear ... with hands spread more widely on the piano ... during choruses ...

And of course, to sing loudly while she plays!

Philip  
    (Isa 5:12 And the harp, and the viol, the tabret, and pipe, and wine, are in their feasts: but they regard not the work of the LORD)

Raised-Again 3http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=12307501
    No How
    Max Output Level: -23.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5180
    Re:Piano student needs some 'soul' 2010/10/18 10:26:32 (permalink)
    Humiliate her (temporarily).
    Tell her she's too late or too early.
    Inform her that from now on she needs to pay for her own lessons and the price has doubled as she's underage and, frankly, too short.
    Maybe set up a nice recital tour in the local soup kitchens.
    Have her read the lives of some of the great russian composers and the political environment they lived in.

Soul can't be taught, only etched and carved. (and life will take care of all that in good time, sometimes a looooooong good time)

Now you know why i don't get quite as many  babysitting jobs anymore.
    post edited by No How - 2010/10/18 10:42:04

s o n g s

– Beauty lodged in a bad hotel has no value.  Raymond Lull
    Butch
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 175
    Re:Piano student needs some 'soul' 2010/10/18 10:38:10 (permalink)
    My take:

1.  You can not teach soul.  You either have it or you don't.

2.  At 13, almost no one has soul.  It takes time.

3.  The best way to "develop" soul is to have the student watch videos of great artists with soul do what they do.

4.  It's your duty to give the student the technique, it's up to the student to add the rest.

Take care,

Butch
    Let's make some art!
    Legion
    Max Output Level: -55.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1986
    Re:Piano student needs some 'soul' 2010/10/18 12:12:52 (permalink)
    I don't think 'soul' can be taught or forced upon anybody. What you can do is probably try to find a way for her to find the emotions in the music by letting her play what she likes and songs that mean something to her. Ask her if there is any special tune she likes and if it aint a piano tune maybe you can trasnlate it to piano together to let her make the piano say what she want rather than it 'speaking' through her?

Butch: I've met 13 yr olds with soul but then they have lived through stuff adults should not have to...

Sadly very reduced studio equipment as it is... ASUS G750J, 8 gb RAM, Win8, Roland Quad Capture.
    Mitch_I
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 212
    Re:Piano student needs some 'soul' 2010/10/18 12:48:26 (permalink)
    I agree with what others are saying about teaching "soul" to a 13-year-old.

But how about basic musical expression, for example, the changes in tempo and dynamics in a well-played phrase. It's the thing that's the difference between a professionally played piano piece and a MIDI file that's entered by mouse.

I think learning basic expressive techniques needs to happen first.  Maybe "soul" will happen later.

Mitch I.
    Philip
    Max Output Level: -34.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4062
    Re:Piano student needs some 'soul' 2010/10/18 12:55:02 (permalink)
    +1 Legion,

Slightly Off-topic:

OTOH, in the USA, beware of minors.  They have peculiar legal 'rights' that may easily be *violated* ... and ad-litem lawyers, CPS case-worker-wolves, and county judges are quite the parasitic bunch (as a rule ... at least until Federal Social Security cuts off their financing.)

Thus, for county legalistic reasons, it is extremely behooving to have a supportive parent or school official present ... when tutoring these *precious* entities. 

In fact, its probably best not to tutor any minor (including one's own children), at all, unless the minor's school officials and/or parent can be seriously consoling and trusted by the Op.  Most schools and counties erroneously prefer football event$.

For this reason, I home-school everything ... as my first-born minor rebelled against home-tutoring unto near fatal consequences.

But as home-schooling 'takes over' ... these minor-gods may become less of a legal hassel here in the USA. 

Philip  
    (Isa 5:12 And the harp, and the viol, the tabret, and pipe, and wine, are in their feasts: but they regard not the work of the LORD)

Raised-Again 3http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=12307501
    feedback50
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 564
    Re:Piano student needs some 'soul' 2010/10/18 14:27:14 (permalink)
    I'm not sure it's necessarily Soul as such, but the better players I know have a few things in common:

They play with great ease and confidence. I think this comes from having mastered their axe, and having a clear idea of what style they're trying to convey. They have exposure to a very wide variety of musical styles. They know what fits, and what doesn't. Their skills are such that they seem to play on reflex.

Their time is generally spot on. This not only applies to tempo, but execution of the interpretations demanded by each style (not necessarily what's "written"). (i.e. Drummers often put the snare behind the beat on rock ballads). Excitement comes without rushing the beat (how many club bands play their up-tunes at warp 10). Groove wins over technique (and sometimes intonation). (If you doubt that go back and listen to "shotgun" by Jr. Walker).

They have great ears, and great sensitivity to what is being played by other musicians. They can support the efforts of others without being a distraction. They can hear the interpretations being applied by others, and can reinforce it. They can recognize chords and scales by their "flavors". Most convey chords by their number (in the scale), not by name. Key signatures become irrelevant.

Dynamics are a powerful part of their performance. If your already on level 10, it's gonna be hard to accent anything. Rhythmic intensity is conveyed without more volume. This is often accomplished by the deliberate use of space.

Space is a fundamental. Knowing where to leave silences. How it amplifies the impact of what follows. A good band plays their note endings together, not just the attacks.

How you convey this to a student, I'm not sure. Perhaps listening to good examples and pointing it out. Once you have mastered the basics, the ears come first, then the chops.

post edited by feedback50 - 2010/10/18 14:28:42
    marcos69
    Max Output Level: -26 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4950
    Re:Piano student needs some 'soul' 2010/10/18 15:30:43 (permalink)
    Janet

Thanks again!

The scene from 'Mr. Holland's Opus' where he tells the red-headed clarinet (?) player to 'play the sunset' just popped into my head.   I think he was on to something there. :-) 

Right then, she should dye her hair red.

Mark Wessels

At CD Baby

At Soundclick
    Janet
    Re:Piano student needs some 'soul' 2010/10/18 19:08:30 (permalink)
    All of you---GREAT ideas and thoughts!  I suppose the easiest would be to have her dye her hair red. Thank you once again, Mark!  :)

I like the idea of videos.  Great idea! 

Legion: you're right, unfortunately.
    Rick: did you also have a hard time finding dates? 
    feedback:  yes, being confident and knowing it well.  Very well said. 
    Mitch: true.  It's the difference in just learning to play the notes correctly and adding dynamics, etc. 
    Philip:  good point.  In this day and age, you can't be too careful. 
    Everyone: I've enjoyed your input.  Thanks!  I'm really curious to see where she goes with all this. 
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1