Pink Floy'd Mother Again: REMIX !!!

Author
Gamergirl
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 181
2007/11/23 12:48:03 (permalink)

Pink Floy'd Mother Again: REMIX !!!

Hello Everybody (ur supposed to say: Hello Dr. Nick!!)

I know it took awhile, and some of you probably gave up on me, or thought I was full of it, but, as I promised, it's finally here !!!

I did it, and it's MUCH better. I rerecorded the guitar work, and remixed everything so that the guitar blends in better. Except during the solo, which is in the same place as it was in the original 1979 Waters/Gilmour et.al. vinyl recording, and lovingly reproduced as closely as possible, and where the guitar is supposed to overwhelm everything else, but in the 3rd verse and bridge/chorus, the guitar now is blended with the rest of the mix as just another instrument, only slightly louder than the rest, instead of overwhelming them like before- now you ca hear all the other stuff going on under the guitarized vocals that I quite frankly worked my butt off on but you couldn't tell cuz the lead guitar drowned out everthing. Also, I chucked out the ubiquitous, quite frankly uninspiring generic slow-blues guitar work of my original interpretation in favor of a much more intensively rigorous fretwork session that is far more "Courtney"-ish than the first recording, complete with a lengthy, rather gruelling run up the fretboard to bring the song to its explosive finale.

Also, the acoustic rhythms, although totally remixed, remastered, and carefully optimized, were retained from the first recording in the interest of speeding up the process and getting the song out as quickly as possible- they actually turned out well to start with, IMHO, although there's always room for improvement, I thought alacrity here was more important than nit-picking a recording that was decent to begin with, and stood to gain only minor improvement, so you shouldn't see much change there, although a few GR synth patches that had an 'airy' ambiance to them were removed, cuz they made the recording sound poor. The main difference, though, is in the lead guitar, and I used the newest, most proud piece in my assortment of recording and performance gear: The Roland VG-99. Kids, this thing is freaking awesome. I think you will agree when you listen to the leads, from their authentic vintage les-paul w/rectifier sound to the literally effortless fret-gliding, complete with pull-offs and two handed tapping, that I managed to do without a second thought, with only a moderate amount of distortion, with no noise gate and only a small amount of NR, and very little excess noise- virtually none, in fact. I can't credit this thing enough for the rather spectacular results I managed to acheive, and although I'd love to sit here and take all the credit for that gruelling-sounding tapping/pull off/hammer-on section of the guitar voicing, the fact is, I can't. The VG99 makes it almost absurdly easily to perform techniques that, if I had successfully performed them at a gig with a "normal" guitar/amp combination, would result in the next day finding my arm and shoulder in heating pad, the foul stench of wintergreen sports rub filling my nostrils, and my stomach painfully grumbling from an overabundance of ibuprofen and aspirin !!!

Your advice, I prefer constrictive advice though, please (as opposed to those people who like to gripe about the style of the music I and others choose to play, but I don't think I've ever had a problem with anyone like that in this forum), and all your evaluations as fellow musicians are welcomed. Thank you so much for your original advice, help, and constructive criticism, even those of you that weren't unkind, but didn't soften the blows nor pulled any punches, you ALL made this new, IMHO MUCH improved remix possible. Thank you, thank you <blows kissl> !!!

Click HERE for the Heretic Band Page to hear the new, improved remix/re-recording of our loving tribute to Roger Waters' immortal classic rock ballad of the often irreparable damage foisted upon children by the unchecked ravages of parental fears and WASP paranoia: "Mother" .

Anxiously awaiting your impressions!
Courtney Patricia "GamerGirl" Parsons

post edited by Gamergirl - 2007/11/23 13:27:10

"As above, so below."
-Hermes Trismegestus

"The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play."
-James Tiberius Kirk

"Do what thou Wilt shall be the Whole of the Law."-Aleister Crowley

20 Replies Related Threads

droddey
    Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5147
    RE: Pink Floy'd Mother Again: REMIX !!! 2007/11/23 14:22:19 (permalink)
    That was pretty ambitious. The big lead guitar part sounded really nice, very Floydian and stadium sized. It was a little loose in places is the primary criticism I'd make I guess. And the mix might be a tad bright, though I'm listening on my crappy computer speakers so it's always hard to say.

Dean Roddey
    Chairman/CTO, Charmed Quark Systems
    www.charmedquark.com
    CreatingNoise
    Max Output Level: -58.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1666
    RE: Pink Floy'd Mother Again: REMIX !!! 2007/11/23 16:59:36 (permalink)
    GG--I am still learning my way around composing/recording but you are asking for honest opinions and in this case you have something going on that I feel like I can comment on even though it's not a favorable comment. I am guilty of this myself to some extent. In a word, effects. Sometimes too many effects can ruin a song. I liked the original version although it had some unknown (to me) recording issues from what I can remember. This new version is a lot cleaner in the recording sense but the quantity of different effects is just too much in my opinion. There were parts were it worked for a moment or two for me but then the effect would change or something else would come in a draw my attention totally to it. Your rework of this tune into something more symphonic is cool but I think you could pare it down some and still get that cool symphonic feel without the distraction of so many effects. It takes away from your playing which is the real meat of the tune anyway. I can't remember the original tune's lead break but I believe it was a lot less effected than this version and I liked the original better (I believe).

That's my 2 cents.

contact@jondunn.org
    Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 767
    RE: Pink Floy'd Mother Again: REMIX !!! 2007/11/23 17:50:54 (permalink)
    I think the transition between part A and part B is a little sudden
    and the intro may be a little long, overdramatic

what ever happened to just an acoustic guitar & vocals?

the solo seemed heartfelt

I am a Jazz freak, but there are a few thoughts

-JD
    thepogue
    Max Output Level: -50.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2458
    RE: Pink Floy'd Mother Again: REMIX !!! 2007/11/23 21:48:52 (permalink)
    I really like the lead...I'm guess your using your Roland....I've really got to update me GR-50...

I'm pretty much goin with droddy here....with one other thing to add...Floyd alway had one constant...flow....they never sound forced. This sounded like it was leaning forward instead of laying back and I'm sure thats what you where shooting for...overall....great stuff!!! I love me some Floyd!
    jamesg1213
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 21760
    RE: Pink Floy'd Mother Again: REMIX !!! 2007/11/24 06:00:27 (permalink)
    Well, wow - that was quite an immense piece of work. Kudos to you for taking it on and producing something that sounds as vast is this. Sorry to say I don't know the original so I'm commenting purely on this version.

Some comments then; 2:06 to 2:16 some tuning issues or artifacts from the Roland? Something a little wierd happening there, maybe intentional..

Overall the mix sounds very 'hot' to me, maybe over compressed and limited? I can everything clearly in the mix, all spaced out and eq-ed well, but it often sounds peaky.

I thought the section from the break onwards was superbly executed, excellently arranged and played.

I know what Tony is saying about the amount of effects - it can make it difficult to get the piece to hang together with so many different sounds coming and going.

I'm hoping I'm not coming across too negative here, 'cos I really liked this a lot, very well done indeed, just trying to be constructive.

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer
    variaxman
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 596
    RE: Pink Floy'd Mother Again: REMIX !!! 2007/11/24 10:27:43 (permalink)
    really liked the synth swells/pads up to about 1:20...things sound a bit weird after that...kinda like a weird banjo/sitar sound...I think the pure synths/keyboards sound cooler....guitar break was pretty intense around 3:20....would like to hear ya wailing on a more pure bluesy guitar tone on this...overall I think this is much better than your 1st stab at this, definetly a interesting listen and held my attention to the end..
    pantherhawk27263
    Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 258
    RE: Pink Floy'd Mother Again: REMIX !!! 2007/11/24 18:13:35 (permalink)
    Wow! You have a new fan here. I loved everything I listened to on your page. You have a great take on the covers that is just marvelous. Great work!

"Information is not knowledge, knowledge is not wisdom, wisdom is not truth, truth is not beauty, beauty is not love, love is not music. Music is the BEST!"
    Frank Zappa - "Packard Goose" from "Joe's Garage"
    lhansen
    Max Output Level: -27.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4765
    RE: Pink Floy'd Mother Again: REMIX !!! 2007/11/25 12:42:20 (permalink)
    GG - I listened to this on my phones. What a wall of sound and great use of all the various instrumentation! I enjoyed this. Lots of complexity in this. You have good guitar chops. I like that "banjo" sound thru-out this piece. My personal feeling is that this is a work of art. The soundscape alone, along with the composition is a feat in itself. Big difference over the 1st one. Keep going girl!

Slow Marching Band

Win 7 x64, Sonar X1E x64, Studio One v2, Focusrite Saffire 24 DSP Pro, Genelec 8030a, True Systems P-Solo, Focusrite ISA One, FMR RNP, GAP-73. 

"Someone to watch over me".
    Gamergirl
    RE: Pink Floy'd Mother Again: REMIX !!! 2007/11/25 12:56:07 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: CreatingNoise

GG--I am still learning my way around composing/recording but you are asking for honest opinions and in this case you have something going on that I feel like I can comment on even though it's not a favorable comment. I am guilty of this myself to some extent. In a word, effects. Sometimes too many effects can ruin a song. I liked the original version although it had some unknown (to me) recording issues from what I can remember. This new version is a lot cleaner in the recording sense but the quantity of different effects is just too much in my opinion. There were parts were it worked for a moment or two for me but then the effect would change or something else would come in a draw my attention totally to it. Your rework of this tune into something more symphonic is cool but I think you could pare it down some and still get that cool symphonic feel without the distraction of so many effects. It takes away from your playing which is the real meat of the tune anyway. I can't remember the original tune's lead break but I believe it was a lot less effected than this version and I liked the original better (I believe).

That's my 2 cents.

Umm--kay (drugs er bad)...

Thanks, I did ask for criticism, constructive or otherwise... you may be right about that, but to be honest, there's nothing I can do about that. That's the way it came out. That's what I heard, through my little right-brained filter... much like a story or a novel, those sorts of things come from an inspirational source that resides on a higher plane, yeah? I would guess (I may be wrong, so correct me if I am?) you would have the same thing to say about, say, some of ELP's recordings that follow the same format? I really can't do anything about style, as I said, that comes from a higher power (if you will) that many refer to as their "muse."

However, your impressions are nonetheless appreciated. But the fact is, the FX, and everything, the way the mix sounds, this was what I heard in my head before I ever digitized the first note. I can't say that about the first version. That's why I'll never be a pop star, I guess, and that's OK.

As for improvement, you guys are gonna have to wait to hear it in my next pieces, I am done with this one. I will take to heart what you say here, and apply it to my next work, a rerecording of my original folksy, Bob-Dylan-inspired tune"Pagan Soul". But like I said, this is the way I heard this song; I don't know what else I can really do. or even if I should, to make it more palatable to the ears of others.

Thanks, CN.
    GG

"As above, so below."
    -Hermes Trismegestus

-James Tiberius Kirk

Gamergirl
    RE: Pink Floy'd Mother Again: REMIX !!! 2007/11/25 13:06:50 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: lhansen

GG - I listened to this on my phones. What a wall of sound and great use of all the various instrumentation! I enjoyed this. Lots of complexity in this. You have good guitar chops. I like that "banjo" sound thru-out this piece. My personal feeling is that this is a work of art. The soundscape alone, along with the composition is a feat in itself. Big difference over the 1st one. Keep going girl!

Why, thank you Larry !! I do believe you heard what I intended. It is just a bit short of perfection, as I'm sure you all noticed, but I think its flaws are what gives it originality- much in the same vein as "Thick as A Brick" or "Passion Play," many of the transitions, there, too, are rather sudden, but as IA himself would tell you, that's what his muse told him to write. I'm not saying my work is comparable to such greatness, but it does flow along the same lines, don't you think?

As for the "banjo" sound, of course, that's just a clean electric guitar tone, the 'banjo'-like effect was attained through playing style, since I live just out of Nashville I've long been influenced by bluegrass and folksy-type music, the older it is, and therefore the closer to the original Gaelic/Celtic roots it is, the better I like it generally speaking.

Y'know, when I first heard this in my head (years ago now), then decided to do it, the phrase "wall of sound" never occurred to me. In fact, I had never heard the phrase until the past several months ago when I began to notice the highly publicized Phil Spectre trial. When I first heard the reporters on Court TV use that phrase, I thought to myself, y'know, that's what Ido.

Thanks for hearing what I intended. Ya'll know, my style isn't for everyone, but I think artists and acid-heads will deeply appreciate it.
    GG

"As above, so below."
    -Hermes Trismegestus

-James Tiberius Kirk

Gamergirl
    RE: Pink Floy'd Mother Again: REMIX !!! 2007/11/25 13:11:28 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: contact@jondunn.org

I think the transition between part A and part B is a little sudden
    and the intro may be a little long, overdramatic

what ever happened to just an acoustic guitar & vocals?

the solo seemed heartfelt

I am a Jazz freak, but there are a few thoughts

-JD

John,

If Ihad done it with just an acoustic guitar and vocals, then it wouldn't have been my piece. It would have been me copying Pink Floyd, with the expressly tacit implication that I think that I can do the piece better than they did. C'mon, now, I have a pretty high opinion of myself, but I'm still nowhere near that arrogant!!

Thanks for your feedback, though!
    GG
    post edited by Gamergirl - 2007/11/25 13:14:12

"As above, so below."
    -Hermes Trismegestus

-James Tiberius Kirk

Gamergirl
    RE: Pink Floy'd Mother Again: REMIX !!! 2007/11/25 13:17:13 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: pantherhawk27263

Wow! You have a new fan here. I loved everything I listened to on your page. You have a great take on the covers that is just marvelous. Great work!

Thank you SO much, PH !! Like I said earlier, I have to totally rethink, rework the covers, otherwise, I'd just be another wannabe, with no originality.

Love to hear your stuff, too. I'll click on your username, see if it takes me there. Let ya know!!
    GG

"As above, so below."
    -Hermes Trismegestus

-James Tiberius Kirk

Gamergirl
    RE: Pink Floy'd Mother Again: REMIX !!! 2007/11/25 13:35:39 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: thepogue

I really like the lead...I'm guess your using your Roland....I've really got to update me GR-50...

I'm pretty much goin with droddy here....with one other thing to add...Floyd alway had one constant...flow....they never sound forced. This sounded like it was leaning forward instead of laying back and I'm sure thats what you where shooting for...overall....great stuff!!! I love me some Floyd!

Yes, it's the VG-99. It's a processor, not a synth like the GR-50, but it does use the hexidecimal divided pickup (the GK-3. like the GK, GK-2 or 2A that the GR-50 uses), but tracking isn't an issue, since it uses COSM (Boss Composite Modeling algorithm) rather than a synth algorithm. However, if you listen really close to the lead, you will hear that I obtained a fuller sound by backing it with an almost-oragnish synth tone, a patch called "GR-300 Lead"- that tone I attained with the GR-20, which is a synth, like the GR-50. Be warned: if you update to the GR-20, you will not have the control and editing capabilities over your patches that you have now. The 20 is an extremely simple instrument, compared to the GR-50 (or even the GR-33 that I stupidly traded in for the 20). You can't use alternate tunings (unless you go into it through the MIDI port) other than simple octave shifts, you can't assign different tones to different strings, and you can't edit the LFO's or add cords the way you can with, say the GR-01 (I never had a GR-50, so I don't know, I had a 33 and a 01, and I've played the 09, but I've never even seen a 50). However, the GR-20 tracks better than any Roland Guitar synth I have ever seen (remember- the VG series are modeling processors, not synths).

So you might be better off sticking with the GR-50, if you do a lot of sound editing. However, you can keep the 50 and still get and use the Roland VG-99, I use it with my GR-20 by plugging my GK-3 cable into the Roland US-20, a simple pedal switching unit, which doubles the signal, and one goes be 99 and the other to the 20, and you can switch between them with the US-20, or enable both.

So... you dn't have to get rid of your GR-50 to use the 99 effectively, in fact, you'd be better off with both, as the VG-99 only does guitar and just the barest smattering of guitar-type synth sounds, you can't get wind instrument or keyboard/organ sounds from it, that's not what it does. Think of it as a superior version of a Boss COSM multi-FX floor pedal- one that actually sounds like it's supposed to (had a BOSS, I was not very impressed, I like my DigiTech better. But the VG-99 trumps all of them).

GG

"As above, so below."
    -Hermes Trismegestus

-James Tiberius Kirk

Gamergirl
    RE: Pink Floy'd Mother Again: REMIX !!! 2007/11/25 13:42:38 (permalink)

Oh, BTW, I'm a HUGE Zappa fan, as well as one of Capt. Beefheart, et. al., keep rockin' !!
    GG

"As above, so below."
    -Hermes Trismegestus

-James Tiberius Kirk

Gamergirl
    RE: Pink Floy'd Mother Again: REMIX !!! 2007/11/25 13:44:33 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Gamergirl

Oh, BTW, I'm a HUGE Zappa fan too, as well as one of Capt. Beefheart, et. al., I guess you can hear the musical influence thereof... more from Apostrophes and Sheik Yerbouti era than Joe's Garage in this particular remake, I guess, but I love (almost) all Zappa.

GG

"As above, so below."
    -Hermes Trismegestus

-James Tiberius Kirk

Gamergirl
    RE: Pink Floy'd Mother Again: REMIX !!! 2007/11/25 13:52:45 (permalink)

I am guilty of this myself to some extent. In a word, effects. Sometimes too many effects can ruin a song. I liked the original version although it had some unknown (to me) recording issues from what I can remember. This new version is a lot cleaner in the recording sense but the quantity of different effects is just too much in my opinion.

BTW, CN, there aren't really that many "effects" other than a little reverb (the SONAR PerfectSpace plugin) and chorus, and a final mix compression using the Vintage 64 plugin. What you are referring to as "effects" are actually just different instruments. A synth patch is technically a different "instrument," not an effect, just as a piano synth sound using a softsynth or the GR-20 guitar synth is a different instrument from the String Orchestra patch I use for the first chorus.

I guess you could call the feedbacky thing at the end of the verses (where it goes to the V chord) an effect, but it's a natural part of the guitar model I used for that part.

Anyway, your opinion is nonetheless appreciated, thank you very much for listening and your comment. Keep on rockin' !!
    GG

"As above, so below."
    -Hermes Trismegestus

-James Tiberius Kirk

Gamergirl
    RE: Pink Floy'd Mother Again: REMIX !!! 2007/11/25 13:54:47 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: variaxman

really liked the synth swells/pads up to about 1:20...things sound a bit weird after that...kinda like a weird banjo/sitar sound...I think the pure synths/keyboards sound cooler....guitar break was pretty intense around 3:20....would like to hear ya wailing on a more pure bluesy guitar tone on this...overall I think this is much better than your 1st stab at this, definetly a interesting listen and held my attention to the end..

Well, VariaxMan, I did have an overall "bluesy" guitar tone in the original recording, and I decided it was too droll, sounded too much like me trying to compete with David Gilmour, something I'm just not worthy to do, so I opted out for something different in the remix.

Thanks for your take, though, I really appreciate it!!
    GG

"As above, so below."
    -Hermes Trismegestus

-James Tiberius Kirk

contact@jondunn.org
    Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 767
    RE: Pink Floy'd Mother Again: REMIX !!! 2007/11/25 14:12:30 (permalink)
    good points

keep creating

-JD
    CreatingNoise
    Max Output Level: -58.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1666
    RE: Pink Floy'd Mother Again: REMIX !!! 2007/11/26 00:39:49 (permalink)
    GG--No sweat. If that's the way you planned it, more power to ya. Remembering back to the original, I didn't think there were as many "voices" on that one. I thought maybe this was a case of adding a lot of the extra stuff as an afterthought. Definitely was not poking at your style of music, I didn't listen to your other tunes so I didn't make the connection.

I've never been a huge ELP fan (never really been exposed to much of their stuff either though). As far as music with a lot going on, I'm a huge fan of Jordan Rudess (Feeding the Wheel). He has a ton of different "voices" going on in his tunes.

Your subject line did say remix. I assumed you meant of your original tune. I didn't take it as a remix rather than a cover tune. Anyway, no matter. You poured a lot into this and it is a unique take on that classic tune. Busy by design, so be it!
    Gamergirl
    RE: Pink Floy'd Mother Again: REMIX !!! 2007/11/26 15:59:57 (permalink)

GG--No sweat. If that's the way you planned it, more power to ya. Remembering back to the original, I didn't think there were as many "voices" on that one. I thought maybe this was a case of adding a lot of the extra stuff as an afterthought. Definitely was not poking at your style of music, I didn't listen to your other tunes so I didn't make the connection.

I've never been a huge ELP fan (never really been exposed to much of their stuff either though). As far as music with a lot going on, I'm a huge fan of Jordan Rudess (Feeding the Wheel). He has a ton of different "voices" going on in his tunes.

Your subject line did say remix. I assumed you meant of your original tune. I didn't take it as a remix rather than a cover tune. Anyway, no matter. You poured a lot into this and it is a unique take on that classic tune. Busy by design, so be it!

Don't apologize, your critique was very valid, I wanted to hear it, sorry if I implied otherwise- let me clarify: the people I was trying to keep away with my original post about "no criticism of ...my and others... style of music," I wasn't trying to keep valid criticism of this style away, who I was trying to keep away are those people (for some reason, they are usually metalheads and hip-hoppers) that think THIER kind of music is the only kind of music there is.

However, if a majority of folks think that the purposefully complex, intellectualized, heavily orchestrated kind of music that I do has already passed its time, then I want to hear that !! I may not respond to it, since, this is my forte, where my talent is, and everyone here knows that we have little choice but to be true to ourselves and our muse, to do any less would be just plain wrong!!

However, you didn't say this before, which indicates to me that the new mix was a much better mix- all this stuff WAS there before, I promise, but you couldn't hear it !! I added NOTHING, in fact, this new mix has LESS than the original, if anything, I removed two synth tracks from the intro, an acoustic rhythm track (there were three, now there are only two) and I lowered the volume of some of the instruments in the original piece.

So, yeah, your comment was appreciated and was also very useful !!!
    Thank you !!
    GG

It's just that you didn't say
    Yeah, actually, there are fewer 'voices' on this one, believe it or not

"As above, so below."
    -Hermes Trismegestus

-James Tiberius Kirk

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1