Pitch N Time Modulation

Author
javahut
Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 361
2005/12/11 01:19:55 (permalink)

Pitch N Time Modulation

Well, I've been experimenting with the Groove clip and tempo matching for the first time. Have to say, unless I'm doing something wrong, I'm not impressed with the quality of the audio when the tempo is changed more than just a couple of BPM. Is this right?

I'm comparing this to what I used to use in Pro Tools... Pitch N Time... which sounded great for tempo & pitch changing by large amounts with very little quality degradation. I guess maybe I can't expect that much audio quality from real time tempo matching.

So, if I can't get good quality real time... what plug-in do some of you use for high quality time & pitch modulation in Sonar? Pitch N Time is still Pro Tools only I think. I see Waves makes a plug-in called SoundShifter that looks to be a PC capable version of Pitch N Time, and it's just about as pricey ($700). Anyone using anything else for this application they like, that maybe doesn't break the bank as much?

Thanks
post edited by javahut - 2005/12/11 01:21:27

downtempo.dub.psychedelic.twang
Canartic.Modulotion.out now!
Canartic . Lossless Downloads now available.

4 Replies Related Threads

ollum
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 29
    RE: Pitch N Time Modulation 2005/12/11 07:55:05 (permalink)
    I use soundtoys speed in PT, which is in the same league as serato & both are lightyears ahead of the prosonic algos in Sonar. Soundshifter is cool as well, but unfortunately none of them will run under Sonar. So I´ve kept PTLE just for stretching-purposes
    javahut
    RE: Pitch N Time Modulation 2005/12/11 09:00:16 (permalink)
    Yeah, there's not much info on the Waves sight about what SoundShifter is compatible with. So you're sure it's not with Sonar? They say there's a "native" version available.

Also, I found Prosoniq Time Factory 2, which appears to be Sonar compatible. Anyone ever try this? It's also in the $700 range. I guess quality time stretching is expensive.

Or is there a way to do relatively large (50-150%) high quality audio time/tempo mods in Sonar that I'm unaware of?

jardim do mar
    Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1247
    RE: Pitch N Time Modulation 2005/12/11 10:32:46 (permalink)
    unless I'm doing something wrong,
    ,, you can,,, achieve 'good results,,, with ,,, the "loop constuction view',,,,(enable stretching,button) you need to adjust the transients,,,,to 100%,,, zoom in on the file ,,and add the transients where you see "beats,,, etc,,,,that are missed ,,by default,,,,,the"more transients" ,,, the better the results,,,,,or,,, you can use the 'mpex time/pitch fx,,,,,,,,

marcella
    And Remember,,,,One thing at a Time.....
    javahut
    RE: Pitch N Time Modulation 2005/12/11 11:47:25 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: jardim do mar
    ...you need to adjust the transients..., ...you can use the 'mpex time/pitch fx...

Ah... yes! I tried both of these and they both work reasonably well. I had thought about trying the transient thing, thinking "there must be a reason to slice at transient points", but all they do in the manual is explain that you can set transient slices... it doesn't tell you WHY you should set slices (that I saw... except to manipulate individual slices).

And I didn't even realize that Sonar has what must be a basic version of Time Factory 2 in it... just doesn't have the really nice interface to it.

But both these work pretty well... thanks jardim!

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1