*Pitiful Thing*

Author
ABull
Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 905
2017/08/06 15:30:17 (permalink)

*Pitiful Thing*

Howdy...here's my worktapedemo of my song Pitiful Thing...

https://soundcloud.com/allanbullington/pitiful-thing

Allan
=-=-=

~fud~
post edited by ABull - 2017/08/11 00:16:22

9 Replies Related Threads

jamesg1213
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 19144
    Re: <Pitiful Thing> 2017/08/06 16:22:00 (permalink)
    Good solid song Allan (a sad story though), with tasteful chord changes. I like that recurring chiming guitar motif, put me in mind of Del Amitri, a fine band with a great songwriter.

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer
    Jesse Screed
    Re: <Pitiful Thing> 2017/08/07 22:42:17 (permalink)
    man, you have a knack for sounding good., your songs are always arranged so well.

@20, super neat, the vocals and the guitar are so right there together complimenting each other like lovers

the way you sound at 2:03=2:10 is the best

that little lick by 2:20 is perhaps a bit overdone, maybe extend it to go over an octave or so

Mostly, I think the drums need a little more beef.  It is a poppy tune, but would be cool to hear a bigger sound on the drums.

anyway I love your stuff to the hilt, you do the best harmonies, on all you tunes, I wish I knew how you did it.

Jesse Q. Screed
    Serious_Noize!
    Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 669
    Re: <Pitiful Thing> 2017/08/07 23:41:51 (permalink)
    WOW! Enjoyed hearing this very much, it's right along the type of genre of music I try to create. Although I must say you are much more skilled and better, no doubt about that at all. Better educated and more talent when it comes to creating music. 

The clean guitar sounds are excellent, that's something I have been struggling with myself in my songs. The last 4 songs I have been working on of my own I'm trying to bring them out but they always end up being too loud or too toney or just not  balanced. Clean guitar is hard to record in my opinion when you aren't used to it. I'm and 80's hard rock guitar player, the distortion stuff is simple but the clean stuff is hard when you have to play without trippy FX in my opinion anyway, or that is at least for me.

Your vocals sound really great for this song, right on in the mix. 

I am no mix master and just learning. I really enjoyed hearing this song, the only thing I would change "And knowing what I just told you about me" take it as a grain of salt. What I would do is maybe add a little bit of treble into the mixdown to make it shine a bit more. Why? It's because the people listening to it probably aren't listening to streaming music with an EQ to make things pop such ways. Just my opinion. 

Enjoyed hearing this one!!!!

Keep on Keepin' On!

Bobby

Dell XPS 8700, 16GB's Ram, Sonar Pro. 
    ABull
    Re: <Pitiful Thing> 2017/08/09 17:58:47 (permalink)
    jamesg1213
    Good solid song Allan (a sad story though), with tasteful chord changes. I like that recurring chiming guitar motif, put me in mind of Del Amitri, a fine band with a great songwriter.

Hey thanks for listening and commenting, James -- I'll check out Del Amitri...
    mcourter
    Max Output Level: -41 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3441
    Re: <Pitiful Thing> 2017/08/11 21:00:15 (permalink)
    No comment on the mix, as that isn't what you want, and you know already anyway. But: a solid song and arrangement with some nice changes and good performances. Catchy melody, I like the guitar bit going behind the vox. In an earlier time I'd say it was radio ready, but given the state of radio these days, you might consider that an insult.

A few guitars, a couple of basses, a MIDI controller, a mandolin, a banjo, a mic, PodFarm2
    Unbridled Enthusiasm
     My music: www.Soundclick.com/markcourter
    ABull
    Re: <Pitiful Thing> 2017/08/13 15:55:30 (permalink)
    Jesse Screed
    man, you have a knack for sounding good., your songs are always arranged so well.
    @20, super neat, the vocals and the guitar are so right there together complimenting each other like lovers
    the way you sound at 2:03=2:10 is the best
    that little lick by 2:20 is perhaps a bit overdone, maybe extend it to go over an octave or so
    Mostly, I think the drums need a little more beef.  It is a poppy tune, but would be cool to hear a bigger sound on the drums.

anyway I love your stuff to the hilt, you do the best harmonies, on all you tunes, I wish I knew how you did it.
    Jesse Q. Screed

Jesse, thank you for listening and for your thoughtful comments.  If I do a remix I'll certainly revisit your suggestions but for now, this worktapedemo be done.  !!

Serious_Noize!
    WOW! Enjoyed hearing this very much, it's right along the type of genre of music I try to create. Although I must say you are much more skilled and better, no doubt about that at all. Better educated and more talent when it comes to creating music. 

The clean guitar sounds are excellent, that's something I have been struggling with myself in my songs. The last 4 songs I have been working on of my own I'm trying to bring them out but they always end up being too loud or too toney or just not  balanced. Clean guitar is hard to record in my opinion when you aren't used to it. I'm and 80's hard rock guitar player, the distortion stuff is simple but the clean stuff is hard when you have to play without trippy FX in my opinion anyway, or that is at least for me.

Your vocals sound really great for this song, right on in the mix. 

I am no mix master and just learning. I really enjoyed hearing this song, the only thing I would change "And knowing what I just told you about me" take it as a grain of salt. What I would do is maybe add a little bit of treble into the mixdown to make it shine a bit more. Why? It's because the people listening to it probably aren't listening to streaming music with an EQ to make things pop such ways. Just my opinion. 

Enjoyed hearing this one!!!!
    Keep on Keepin' On!
    Bobby

Hey Bobby, thanks for such detailed comments -- your suggestions are valid and I'll come back to them if I do a future remix.  !!

mcourter
    No comment on the mix, as that isn't what you want, and you know already anyway. But: a solid song and arrangement with some nice changes and good performances. Catchy melody, I like the guitar bit going behind the vox. In an earlier time I'd say it was radio ready, but given the state of radio these days, you might consider that an insult.

Mark, thanks for listening and commenting -- yeah, like the vast majority on this site (and most others like it) I'm presenting demos.  I don't have illusions to radio readiness but I'm always amused by others' pretensions to such with their presentations.

post edited by ABull - 2017/08/13 16:16:48
    kevinwal
    Max Output Level: -70 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1027
    Re: <Pitiful Thing> 2017/08/13 16:09:43 (permalink)
    Great pop tune, loved the vocals on "she sighs", sweet harmony, and it made me smile. Really nice song, classic chord changes with a very cool set of changes leading into the chorus. Fantastic harmonies too.

Kevin Walsh
    My latest tunes are at Reverbnation, please give a listen!

EVGA X58 Classified III, 24GB Kingston RAM, i7/970 6 core
    256GB SSD, 2TB HD
    Windows 10 Build 10586, Sonar Platinum, 2016.03
    MOTU 8Pre Interface
    mcourter
    Max Output Level: -41 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3441
    Re: <Pitiful Thing> 2017/08/14 19:38:27 (permalink)
    Bull, we're all, with a couple of exceptions, making demos. But I like my demo to sound as good as I can make it, so I appreciate comments on the mix. However, to illustrate, a friend listened to my work recently and commented, "It doesn't sound professional." I had to laugh. Of course, it ISN'T professional. I work in a bedroom on low end equipment using my modest skills as musician and engineer. I don't pretend to be a pro. So your point is well taken. It's still fun, though.

A few guitars, a couple of basses, a MIDI controller, a mandolin, a banjo, a mic, PodFarm2
    Unbridled Enthusiasm
     My music: www.Soundclick.com/markcourter
    ABull
    Re: <Pitiful Thing> 2017/08/19 19:21:14 (permalink)
    mcourter
    Bull, we're all, with a couple of exceptions, making demos. But I like my demo to sound as good as I can make it, so I appreciate comments on the mix. However, to illustrate, a friend listened to my work recently and commented, "It doesn't sound professional." I had to laugh. Of course, it ISN'T professional. I work in a bedroom on low end equipment using my modest skills as musician and engineer. I don't pretend to be a pro. So your point is well taken. It's still fun, though.

Yep.
    Jump to:
    © 2017 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1