Played with Sony Acid Pro 6... guess what?

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Jesse G
Max Output Level: -32.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4282
2006/07/05 17:09:14 (permalink)

Played with Sony Acid Pro 6... guess what?

Hey, all,

I have the opportunity of owning Acid Pro 6 and I must tell you that it is rather nice. Can you compare it to Project 5 as a user? Well yes and no.

Overall, I believe it's difficult to use than P5 but from personal experience, what I love about Project 5 is the ability to quickly create loops and use midi patterns. We all know that Acid is known for loops but as far as Midi use, this is a little less desirable in Acid.

Acid Pro 6 allows Audio recording and now has track meters, this is a true bonus as you can monitor your recorded input signal per track.

A bonus for me was the way I drew my clips for the audio files. This was amazing and I have never experienced anything like that before. It took no time at all to compose a song. I didn't like the fact that I couldn't drag a clip from one track to another. Instead I had to copy the clip from the original track, and then paste the clip into the track I wanted to use. The console (Mixer) only contains a Preview track, softsynths, Busses and a Master bus, but you can add many of them.

One thing to mention is that in order to install Acid Pro 6, you must install the .net framework to your PC if it isn't installed already.

I will play around with it more, but I am and always be a dedicated Sonar user.

This has been installed in my studio that I use with another person and we rent the time out to inspiring artist to create their music and their demo CD. Business is good so if you've have the time and various sequencing software and a Few PC's, and some Macs, this is a good investment. Currently we have PC's set up with Reason 2.5 and 3.0), Abelton Live 4 and 5, Sonar (2.2 - 5) Pro tools LE, Fruity Loops, Project 5 and Acid Pro 6.

No, I haven't used them all, but folks will use anything to cut a Demo and they pay well.

Peace

Peace,
Jesse G. A fisher of men  <><
==============================
Cakewalk and I are going places together!

Cakewalk By Bandlab, Windows 10 Pro- 64 bit, Gigabyte GA-Z97X-SLI, Intel Core i5-4460 Haswell Processor, Crucial Ballistix 32 GB Ram, PNY GeForce GTX 750, Roland Octa-Capture, Mackie Big Knob, Mackie Universal Controller (MCU), KRK V4's, KRK Rockit 6, Korg TR-61 Workstation, M-Audio Code 49 MIDI keyboard controller.[/

31 Replies Related Threads

xylyx
    Max Output Level: -50 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2505
    RE: Played with Sony Acid Pro 6... guess what? 2006/07/05 17:29:44 (permalink)
    I did find the midi in Acid 6 to be quite an improvement and better than I expected. The clip drawing is well implemented too...as is the reverse clip functionality. I don't like the mixing facilities that much...isn't it true that you can't add a send to vsti tracks (sure I read this somewhere). I still think it is a little too crash prone with vst stuff...

You don't have to install the .net stuff apparently, there is a way to prevent it during install....plus, it gets a separate entry in Add/Remove Programs, so you easily remove it and disable Media Manager in the Acid preferences.
    wrench45us
    Max Output Level: -25.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4991
    RE: Played with Sony Acid Pro 6... guess what? 2006/07/05 19:46:55 (permalink)
    have you tried the Reaper host?
    still in beta and freely available

written by the same developer as WinAmp
    presumably gives Acid some competition for ease of recording and audio manipulation

http://www.cockos.com/reaper/
    post edited by wrench45us - 2006/07/05 20:01:09

Rick McNab
    Max Output Level: -70 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1047
    RE: Played with Sony Acid Pro 6... guess what? 2006/07/05 21:09:22 (permalink)
    How is it for recreating those REO Speedwagon tunes? Seriously, who cares. We all know about Acid Pro 6. This is a P5 forum. Like most P5 enthusiasts, I took a look at Acid Pro 6 when it was announced. I also looked at the Acid forums when it was released - nothing but problems. And who do you go to for support - Sony - a mega-conglomerate-entertainment-media-juggernaut. Like they're really going to care that much about some little audio-sequencing program. Or do you go to the company that used to be Sound Forge - in Wisconsin.

No thanks.

I'll stick with Cake products. You even said yourself P5 was easier to use. Just look at the GUIs for both. Acid - cluttered, P5 - organized and clear.

But thanks for another Acid review I guess.
    wrench45us
    Max Output Level: -25.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4991
    RE: Played with Sony Acid Pro 6... guess what? 2006/07/05 21:44:44 (permalink)

which is maybe why i mentioned Reaper

ecamburn
    Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1510
    RE: Played with Sony Acid Pro 6... guess what? 2006/07/05 22:36:33 (permalink)
    Hey Jesse,

Thanks for sharing this. I thought Acid 6 looked really nice on paper and had the potential for the holy grail of one stop shopping. But man, that .net framework thing gives me the willies. Since you own Sonar and Acid 6, how would you compare the mixers from the two programs? Is the bussing in Acid 6 as easy and flexible as it is in Sonar? Also, how do you like recording and editing midi in Acid 6?

Eric

SuperGreenX
    Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 973
    RE: Played with Sony Acid Pro 6... guess what? 2006/07/06 00:48:36 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: xylyx

I don't like the mixing facilities that much...isn't it true that you can't add a send to vsti tracks (sure I read this somewhere).

Yeah this is a ****ed oversight in my opinion, but the rest is just way too awesome for me not to use it as my main host now.

Midi editing is great now, the inline midi editing (like Sonar5 has now) is cool. ACID is pretty much the king when it comes to playing around with audio clips and loops. The rewire control of Reason is really great, so this is great for me. I think the ACID interface is really nice too - it doesn't really look good (looks like a Windows app), but it doesn't pull any punches. There aren't really weird symbols, buttons or sliders to learn. It just all looks normal and functional. Who cares that Sony owns it now? That's like not eating at Chipotle because McDonalds owns it. Chipotle is so good! Mmmmm burritos!

cmusicmaker
    Max Output Level: -52 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2328
    RE: Played with Sony Acid Pro 6... guess what? 2006/07/06 06:39:47 (permalink)
    ACID 6 has been very stable here. I think A6 is better for audio manipulation while P5 is better for midi experimentation (groove matrix). The two hosts make a great combination. I think A6 compliments P5 very well and vice versa. Of course they overlap in many areas as well. A6 with audio, video, surround improved midi and it's existing audio features including CD burning is pretty complete already in most key areas.

P5 is pure fun when it come to midi experimentation and getting ideas down. K2 maybe even more so
    Rick McNab
    Max Output Level: -70 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1047
    RE: Played with Sony Acid Pro 6... guess what? 2006/07/06 07:22:25 (permalink)
    P5 all the way - with all due respect of course.
    Kegerator
    Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 353
    RE: Played with Sony Acid Pro 6... guess what? 2006/07/06 09:05:04 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Rick McNab

P5 all the way - with all due respect of course.

Do you even own P5?

I thought you were on the fence for kinetic 2, or Live or what ever.

Beer is the cause and solution to all of life's problem's

Jesse G
    RE: Played with Sony Acid Pro 6... guess what? 2006/07/06 10:38:02 (permalink)

Seriously, who cares? We all know about Acid Pro 6. This is a P5 forum. Like most P5 enthusiasts, I took a look at Acid Pro 6 when it was announced. I also looked at the Acid forums when it was released - nothing but problems. And who do you go to for support - Sony - a mega-conglomerate-entertainment-media-juggernaut. Like they're really going to care that much about some little audio-sequencing program. Or do you go to the company that used to be Sound Forge - in Wisconsin.

No thanks.

Rick, I am glad to see you work up on the correct side of the bed this morning,.. Geez! Loosen your shorts man, there are other individuals who care and like experimenting with other sequencers. In addition, presenting some information concerning other sequencer software allows us as users to either appreciate what we have or request that the Cakewalk step up a notch. Either way, I was just sharing my experience to those who may care.

ecamburn

Since you own Sonar and Acid 6, how would you compare the mixers from the two programs? Is the bussing in Acid 6 as easy and flexible as it is in Sonar? Also, how do you like recording and editing midi in Acid 6?

Eric, I like the mixer a lot more in sonar that I do in Acid Pro 6. For one thing, tracks are not displayed in the mixer. Although you are given a docked window below the track view to see the mixer or you can undock it and make it larger. Since I am new at using Acid period, things are unfamiliar to me and are totally different than using Sonar.

I do like using the busing in Acid 6, as they reside in the mixer area below the tracks in the track view. You can apply your effects directly to the bus then from the track you select the bus with the effect. I am still reading the manual so I can't go into great detail as I am still learning this software. But for me, I enjoy using the Mixer in Sonar 5 much, much better. I can can do all of my mixing directly from the mixer window in Sonar 5 and don't have to go mack to the track view again. the track view is simply that, a place for laying and arring your tracks, when everything is arrange then the track view actually has no more use. That's what I love about Sonar, my mixing is done a mixing environment with the Console View. All Effects, all EQs, All sends, everything is in that one window and I donw'e have to leave it. Hands down the Console (Mixer window) is AWESOME in Sonar 5. That's one of the reason you need to have a dual Monitor Setup. Tracking and then mixing without moving windows is a blessing and I want a thrid monitor just for my rewire client alone.
    19" Flat Panel monitor have come down to where you can find them for $200 or less. Folks spend $200 and more on softsynths alone, and still can't produce great sounds (LOL )

I believe all of my VST and DXI plug-ins are available, at least the ones I used so far worked without problems, Waves Gold, Sonitus, Voxengo, PSP Audio, camelphat. P5 and VSampler rewired ok, but I didn't test it much, I jsut loaded them as reqire clients and then dloces the screens. The midi wasn't bad ad I stated it in my previous post, again, I guess it's because I am used to using midi in P5 that I am not that favorable of the midi in Acid, but again I am still in the initial stages of using it.

Audio editing is a breeze and like I stated before, the drawing of audio clips is amazing. This is a fast process sort of like "Paint on Sound".

Ok, enough of the chatting, I don't want Rick McNab to get mad at me for going on about Acid 6. (Just kidding Rick)

When I get off work and open the studio to the demo crazy youngsters, I will go back and play some more.

A side note, for those of you who are not familiar with Craigslist, it is an excellent place to search for used audio equipment and musical instruments. Here is the link ~~> Craigslist find your State, City and then click on Musical Instruments.

Peace
    post edited by Jesse G - 2006/07/06 11:05:56

Peace,

Cakewalk By Bandlab, Windows 10 Pro- 64 bit, Gigabyte GA-Z97X-SLI, Intel Core i5-4460 Haswell Processor, Crucial Ballistix 32 GB Ram, PNY GeForce GTX 750, Roland Octa-Capture, Mackie Big Knob, Mackie Universal Controller (MCU), KRK V4's, KRK Rockit 6, Korg TR-61 Workstation, M-Audio Code 49 MIDI keyboard controller.[/
    vOidvOice
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 92
    RE: Played with Sony Acid Pro 6... guess what? 2006/07/06 11:54:57 (permalink)
    After there " hey lets put a virus on every music cd we sell ,so that when buyers put it in there computers it #$@#%WE$W%'s em up."

I don't buy anthing from Sony!
    SuperGreenX
    RE: Played with Sony Acid Pro 6... guess what? 2006/07/06 12:49:19 (permalink)
    It's not like the same guy at Sony music who made the decision to put that crap on CDs is the same guy who makes Sony ACID. Sony is so big, one arm doesn't know what the other arm is doing and they are practically seperate companies.

CareyLetendre
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 141
    RE: Played with Sony Acid Pro 6... guess what? 2006/07/06 13:42:08 (permalink)

How is it for recreating those REO Speedwagon tunes? Seriously, who cares. We all know about Acid Pro 6. This is a P5 forum. Like most P5 enthusiasts, I took a look at Acid Pro 6 when it was announced. I also looked at the Acid forums when it was released - nothing but problems. And who do you go to for support - Sony - a mega-conglomerate-entertainment-media-juggernaut. Like they're really going to care that much about some little audio-sequencing program. Or do you go to the company that used to be Sound Forge - in Wisconsin.

No thanks.

I'll stick with Cake products. You even said yourself P5 was easier to use. Just look at the GUIs for both. Acid - cluttered, P5 - organized and clear.

But thanks for another Acid review I guess.

I think you mean Sonic Foundry.

But thanks for the history lesson i guess.
    puffer
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 836
    RE: Played with Sony Acid Pro 6... guess what? 2006/07/09 09:04:01 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: SuperGreenX

It's not like the same guy at Sony music who made the decision to put that crap on CDs is the same guy who makes Sony ACID. Sony is so big, one arm doesn't know what the other arm is doing and they are practically seperate companies.

Neither defending nor decrying ACID (though it was my first sequencer, back in the day, and it did lead me down my present path), but you are indeed correct.

Looking at Sony corporate is rather fascinating. There was an article in Wired a year or so ago about the multi-headed hydra that Sony has become, where its several devisions are all at odds with each other in terms of their long-term development. The Technology people have in their power to really unlock content, put it all out there to share, spindle, deconstruct and store; the Content crew (Sony/BMG) have aligned themselves with the behemoths of the record industry that fear change in the most pernicious way. It's seems unimaginable that this company won't just tear itself apart eventually.

digitallofi.bandcamp.com
    Jesse G
    RE: Played with Sony Acid Pro 6... guess what? 2006/07/09 13:55:37 (permalink)
    SOS Magazine wrote an article on Sony Acid 6 for the July issue, It's a rather good article.

Peace

Peace,

three_eyed_otter
    Max Output Level: -49 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2642
    RE: Played with Sony Acid Pro 6... guess what? 2006/07/09 20:07:12 (permalink)
    hey lets put a virus on every music cd we sell ,so that when buyers put it in there computers it #$@#%WE$W%'s em up."

What is this about?

have a good one
    3Eo
    xylyx
    RE: Played with Sony Acid Pro 6... guess what? 2006/07/10 04:04:42 (permalink)
    He's referring to the copy protection scheme Sony used on their CD's for a short period of time, which installed some software on your computer that acted as a means of preventing the copying (or limiting the amount of times that you could make a copy). The early CD's did this without asking for permission and it later turns out that the software installed made peoples computers open to virus attacks that AV's wouldn't pick up on.

Sony were sued by a number of people and removed the protection from their CD's; they also settled the lawsuits out of court...
    post edited by xylyx - 2006/07/10 04:16:10
    D_tox
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 21
    RE: Played with Sony Acid Pro 6... guess what? 2006/07/10 06:32:59 (permalink)
    As for the .net framework, you can uninstall this after you have installed Acid if you no longer want it around. I believe this is part of Acids phone home code.
    muso_price
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 496
    RE: Played with Sony Acid Pro 6... guess what? 2006/07/10 07:42:43 (permalink)
    I'm not sure but I doubt very much if you can uninstall .NET. If the .NET runtime is required then my guess would be that Acid is written in one of the .NET languages, probably managed C++ or C#.

xylyx
    RE: Played with Sony Acid Pro 6... guess what? 2006/07/10 08:52:30 (permalink)
    You don't need to uninstall the .net framework...just the Media Manager part of Acid. It has a separate entry in the Add/Remove programs list...

EDIT: I don't believe it is written in any of the NET languages either, as it never seemed to be a requirement when I have demoed it...
    post edited by xylyx - 2006/07/10 09:04:20
    jackn2mpu
    Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2765
    RE: Played with Sony Acid Pro 6... guess what? 2006/07/10 08:52:32 (permalink)
    Have Sonar 5, P5V2, Acid 5 and 6. Been playing around with Acid 6 for a month or so, and am NOT enamored with it at all. Hell, just installing the prog and the update, plus playing around with what vst's would and won't work within A6 (this seems to vary from person to person), I got such a headache that I'm sorry I spent the money on the upgrade. It took two soild days of work to just get A6 to boot all the way through. Should have stayed with A5 alone.

Why didn't I download the demo? That had more bugs than the Amazon rainforest. I actually waited to instal A6 until the 6.0a patch came out. No help.

Jack
    Qapla!
    Jesse G
    RE: Played with Sony Acid Pro 6... guess what? 2006/07/10 11:17:39 (permalink)
    May have needed to install Acid 6 to a seperate directory.

Jacknmpu, Not sure why you had the problems, but My Acid 6 install went well the very first time. I did install the 6a patch as well and no problems yet.

Peace

Peace,

SuperGreenX
    RE: Played with Sony Acid Pro 6... guess what? 2006/07/10 12:09:19 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: muso_price

I'm not sure but I doubt very much if you can uninstall .NET. If the .NET runtime is required then my guess would be that Acid is written in one of the .NET languages, probably managed C++ or C#.

You can uninstall it completely. I have.

My ACID install went fine. No vst problems or anything. I did have it freeze a couple times while rewired last night though. I haven't gotten the 6.0a patch yet though.

jackn2mpu
    Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2765
    RE: Played with Sony Acid Pro 6... guess what? 2006/07/17 09:00:32 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Jesse G

May have needed to install Acid 6 to a seperate directory.

Jacknmpu, Not sure why you had the problems, but My Acid 6 install went well the very first time. I did install the 6a patch as well and no problems yet.

Peace

As I mentioned, some people have had no problems, so I guess you were one of the lucky ones. Wish you luck with it, my friend. As to me, it'll stay on my hard drive, but unused. Going back to A5.

Jack
    Qapla!
    ArKTisK
    • Total Posts : 4
    RE: Played with Sony Acid Pro 6... guess what? 2008/02/22 02:33:34 (permalink)
    i registered here just becuase ive had serious problems with acid now and im finally tired of it.

ive used acid since version 2.0, when it was actually still really great. then sony bought them out, and its been hell ever since, with each version getting progressivly buggier.

now i have the wonderful pleasure of randomly corrupted project files, that lock up the program when trying to load, and it just doesnt lock up, no, that would be too easy.
    it shuts down the application from windows, but it still runs in the task manager, and you cant end task or do ANYTHING other than restart your computer. this is a problem becuase once it crashes like that, it holds onto the ram it was using till you restart.

there will also be strange occurances where you will have been working in a project file for some 15 hours and then all of a sudden, one random effect on one track decides to glitch the whole program out to where no sound plays when that track is playing. it just makes a pop sound and thats it. you mute the track, and all is fine.

im here becuase these problems have delayed my album by a good 5 months now, and im just sick and tired of it even though i love it so much.
    i need a program that can replace acid, and thus far the only one ive found is reaper, but id rather use something that more people are familiar with and has a reputable name.

also i need to mention that these problems happen on any version of 6, on xp 32 bit, 64 bit, vista 32 bit and 64 bit. also its happening on 2 completly different computers as well.

ive tried sonar in the past but its not friendly with the way that i work. my project files reach around 130 tracks of audio, and the setup that sonar has doesnt seem to be made with that in mind. anyone have any advice?
    post edited by ArKTisK - 2008/02/22 02:50:46
    ArKTisK
    RE: Played with Sony Acid Pro 6... guess what? 2008/02/22 02:54:09 (permalink)
    also, if anyone could please help me out on this subject on AIM, that would be GREATLY appreciated. ive been working on this album for over 3 years now, i got all the material laid out, i mostly just need to mix it.

my aim name is ArKTisK
    ecamburn
    Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1510
    RE: Played with Sony Acid Pro 6... guess what? 2008/02/22 09:13:15 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: ArKTisK
    i need a program that can replace acid, and thus far the only one ive found is reaper, but id rather use something that more people are familiar with and has a reputable name.

welcome to the forum.

some detail about your work style and the kinds of problems you're having would probably help people give more useful advice. You said you're at the mix down stage. Are you working with audio or midi tracks are both? Are you using a lot of automation? Do you use a lot of busses in you project? that kind of stuff.

eric

ArKTisK
    RE: Played with Sony Acid Pro 6... guess what? 2008/02/22 17:10:42 (permalink)
    i use lots of busses, midi sometimes, and lots of automation. i pretty much use every feature acid has to offer lol.

i wish more than anything i could just get rid of those bugs mentioned, and have a stable system, but it just doesnt seem possible. i even have a stripped down xp 64 installation dedicated to nothing but music, and i still have those problems :(
    ArKTisK
    RE: Played with Sony Acid Pro 6... guess what? 2008/02/22 17:17:30 (permalink)
    what i usually do, is write most of the song in reason, the export out all the drums seperatly, then the synths and such, and record vocals and guitar in acid and do all the eq and polishing in acid.
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1