Playing Music or Playing Studio

Author
space_cowboy
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 9813
2009/02/15 00:16:57 (permalink)

Playing Music or Playing Studio

OK I admit it. It is fun to experiment with filters, compressors...

How much time do you just play with the studio?

Some people call me Maurice

SPLAT Pro lifetime, ADK 6 core 3.6Ghz with 32 GB RAM, SSD 1TB system drive, 3 3TB regular drives for samples, recordings and misc.  Behringer X Touch, UAD Apollo Quad.  2 UAD2 Quads PCI (i think - inside the box whatever that is), Console 1.  More guitars (40??) and synths (hard and soft) than talent.  Zendrum!!!

6 Replies Related Threads

Garry Stubbs
    Max Output Level: -49 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2619
    RE: Playing Music or Playing Studio 2009/02/15 04:46:12 (permalink)
    Spacey, You are right, as a relative newbie, I am writing and recording my first "home grown" album, but because I don't want to settle for anything less than what I hear in my head, I realize my original timescale of 1 year with no prior knowledge of digital recording technology was waaay too short. So, inevitably in the quest for perfection I test record, dabble, tweak etc etc etc. The irony is that I love it, but it gets me no nearer my finished opus. Am I frustrated? no, because any deadline I put on this project is arbitrary and has no outside pressures. The one adjustment I have made is, apart from my upcoming upgrade to an Intel quad core to drive the project, I have decided that I have enough technology, instruments and soft synths etc for now to learn properly and make the music I want. It make take another year but boy is it fun

Peace Love and Understanding

Garry Kiosk

https://soundcloud.com/garry-kiosk
    Sonar Platinum 64-bit: Q6600 8Gb Win7 64-bit: KRK Monitors: ART MPA PRO VLA ii preamp: 3 x 500Gb internal SATA disks: Superior Drummer2: GPO4: Realstrat: Saxlab: Rapture: Dimension Pro: Ozone 4: Edirol SPS-660: PCR-500 MIDI controller: Korg PadKontrol: Fender / Gibson / Yamaha / Ibanez guitars:Guitar Rig 5: Dual 22" Monitors: Mapex Drums, Sabian AAX cymbals: Alesis DM5 Pro Kit: SE Electronics and Shure Mics: Mathmos Lava Lamp (40W)
    Jonbouy
    • Total Posts : 22562
    RE: Playing Music or Playing Studio 2009/02/15 05:32:15 (permalink)

I'm completely with Garry here...the only difference being is I don't have a master plan of an album and tend to be a bit like 'Little Jack Horner' and don't mind putting in my thumb and inflicting all my little plums on everyone along the way.

I've been playing with this stuff for about 10 months now but still feel like a kid that's just been introduced to a brand new sand pit, paddling pool and adventure playground all at once.

So I guess that means its fun.

"We can't do anything to change the world until capitalism crumbles.
    In the meantime we should all go shopping to console ourselves" - Banksy
    jinga8
    Max Output Level: -17 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5817
    RE: Playing Music or Playing Studio 2009/02/15 06:43:26 (permalink)
    a kid that's just been introduced to a brand new sand pit, paddling pool and adventure playground all at once.
    Ha! And now I feel like a kid who's been introduced to a brand new threesome of terminological terms. A sand pit? I'm guessing a "sandbox", a "paddling pool" I guess is a "wading pool", and, as for an "adventure playground", I'm guessing that is like Disneyworld or something? I remember a song by Curve called Sand Pit...was that about childhood? Hmmm... And Adventure Playground is pretty much the coolest term I've ever heard, and I shall be sharing these terms with friends and family...this isn't your usual "lift" vs. "elevator" stuff...this is useful....
    Garry Stubbs
    Max Output Level: -49 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2619
    RE: Playing Music or Playing Studio 2009/02/15 06:46:38 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Jonbouy

I'm completely with Garry here...the only difference being is I don't have a master plan of an album and tend to be a bit like 'Little Jack Horner' and don't mind putting in my thumb and inflicting all my little plums on everyone along the way.

I've been playing with this stuff for about 10 months now but still feel like a kid that's just been introduced to a brand new sand pit, paddling pool and adventure playground all at once.

So I guess that means its fun.

Have you noticed, we have all independently used the word "fun" in our posts. Although I take my playing and live band work responsibly, my attitude has always been that making and recording music should be as pleasurable as possible. Yes much art is made with some "angst" in the mix, but I prefer nowadays to draw on my experience in that area and not create any more. Like Spacey I love bending the sound, listening, learning, creating it's all great --- yes ....FUN !!!

https://soundcloud.com/garry-kiosk
    Sonar Platinum 64-bit: Q6600 8Gb Win7 64-bit: KRK Monitors: ART MPA PRO VLA ii preamp: 3 x 500Gb internal SATA disks: Superior Drummer2: GPO4: Realstrat: Saxlab: Rapture: Dimension Pro: Ozone 4: Edirol SPS-660: PCR-500 MIDI controller: Korg PadKontrol: Fender / Gibson / Yamaha / Ibanez guitars:Guitar Rig 5: Dual 22" Monitors: Mapex Drums, Sabian AAX cymbals: Alesis DM5 Pro Kit: SE Electronics and Shure Mics: Mathmos Lava Lamp (40W)
    vaiman
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 44
    RE: Playing Music or Playing Studio 2009/02/15 07:21:09 (permalink)
    Totaly agree with fun.
    Once that stops then it becomes a job, a process, and almost robotic. And the listener can usually hear this, in my opinion thats not good.

Thats why I think many bands orginally have that "something" that "edge". A few years down the line it all becomes a job and the music becomes dull.
    Keep twiddling those knobs,sliders, and just playing what comes into your head and everything else falls into place.
    Fog
    • Total Posts : 12302
    RE: Playing Music or Playing Studio 2009/02/15 07:27:38 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: space_cowboy

OK I admit it. It is fun to experiment with filters, compressors...

How much time do you just play with the studio?

sometimes thats how people come across new fx or sounds, by total accident.. Does anyone go into a studio EVERY day and feel inspired.. haha.. I don't think so.. them off days I just do prep work etc.. I just like working on a tune and not having to tweak so much things now, so better I do that before hand.

space you have analog synths , but do any have inputs for say an audio signal where you can just use the filtering part of the synths.. so many tunes used that.. although I use it in Maelstrom (in reason) a fair bit.

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1