Please Critique my Song - Mixed/Mastered on Sonar

Author
playintheGstring
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4
2011/07/23 13:50:55 (permalink)

Please Critique my Song - Mixed/Mastered on Sonar

This forum is awesome! I would really like some feedback on this song I have created.  I'm happy to hear any comments on the song itself, but I'd really like some comments on the studio production/engineering aspects.

1) What is the weakest aspect of the song's production?

2) What is the coolest/best aspect of the song or potential best aspect of the song?

3) What should be done to the song to make it sound better/more professional?

4) If you were to change/improve one thing what would it be?

5) On a scale of 1 -10 how professional sounding is this track?

If you get bored with the song, I'm most interested in the part from 2:50 - 4:00.

The song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATYuAA31dF8

The other question I have is regarding effects processing on the voice, given the style of the voice do you hear any effect or plug-in/adjustment that comes to mind that would be most appropriate for improving the vocals? 

Thanks!

post edited by playintheGstring - 2011/07/25 12:20:22

17 Replies Related Threads

BENZOFOG
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 108
    Re:Please Critique my Song - Mixed/Mastered on Sonar 2011/07/23 14:04:21 (permalink)
    i like what you've come up with...However I'm no expert obviously noted on here by any means!!!  But if it were me I would try to thickin up the sound a bit unless your going for a kinda old vinyl sound....Then its great!!!
    playintheGstring
    Re:Please Critique my Song - Mixed/Mastered on Sonar 2011/07/23 14:17:30 (permalink)
    Thank you Benzofog.  I did intend the main vocals to sound somewhat distant/old vinyl, but not the rest.  Do you think the whole thing needs to be thickened up?  Also, do you have any advice on how I would go about implementing your suggestion on this particular track?
    jasonking
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 64
    Re:Please Critique my Song - Mixed/Mastered on Sonar 2011/07/23 14:29:28 (permalink)
    hello

well done. Production sounds very slick. I am thinking for buying Music Creator to record at home, as studio recording is expensive. I want to do demos. Can you tell me what set up / equpment you have?

i was thinking of getting the studio instruments package to fill out my sound.

here's a link to my studio (not Music creator) songs so far: http://www.myspace.com/Jasonkingsongs
    playintheGstring
    Re:Please Critique my Song - Mixed/Mastered on Sonar 2011/07/23 20:46:49 (permalink)
    I was hoping for some more substantive comments.  Is there a better forum to get some advice like this?
    BenMMusTech
    Max Output Level: -49 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2606
    Re:Please Critique my Song - Mixed/Mastered on Sonar 2011/07/23 21:38:52 (permalink)
    Ok the track is well recorded, the mix though is a little washy.  There are too many conflicting instruments in the same frequency band.  The drums are too loud in comparison to the vocal and the guitars.  Thats ok if you intended it to be like that but it is making the track a little muddy.  Also the verb on the guitar is also adding to the muddiness.

Without the track as a waveform it is hard to analyse all the compents, things like the average level of the track.  Ok questions, how did you mix the drums? are they parelled compressed?

My suggestion is to roll off some of the bottom end on the bass, snare, and toms.  Hopefully you have mixed these instruments into their own buss.  I would not put the overheads into that buss, mix those seperatly.  On the overheads buss use an EQ and carve out the best of the meat of the overhead, in other words using a hi shelf filter remove some of the top end sheen.  Then using a low shelf filter roll of some of the bottom end.

As for the guitars also use a high and low shelf filter to carve some of the clashing frequency's then using the spectrum analyser work out the fundemental frequency, it should be somwhere in the vacinity of 120hz to 250hz then multiply that number by itself until you reach the mid range somewhere around the 1250khz mark this will be about the 4th harmonic by boosting this slighty no more than 3db, the guitar should stand out in the mix without having to boost it.  The other thing about the guitar and in particular the verb, try shortning the tail and also using the hi and low shelf filters on your reverb unit, this will change the density of the tail helping the tail feel more real.  Also remember to set your delay time properly on your reverb unit any where up to 50ms.

Ok the master, did you roll of the bottom end using a hi pass filter.  I tend to use the sonitus EQ and set up 4 hi pass filters all set at 40hz.  using the q adjust the shape of the filter to you almost have a bump a 100hz.  Try also rolling off some mud at 400hz and if the track is sounding a bit harsh roll some of the mids off.  You can also try finding the fundemental of the whole track and working out what harmonic you would like to increase, this should help the track bounce out at the listener.  This is really called pre mastering.

Once you have done that, did you put an EQ over the top, using a hi and low shelf filter at 100hz and 8khz respectivly?  If not this is what I tend to do, I use my ear to work out how much, sometimes you need a lot and sometimes not so.  It also depends on what EQ you are using.

Finally what are your average levels like, for this type of music I would be aiming for around -12 to -9db as my average, so compressed but not within inches of it's life. 

Ok if you have anymore questions feel free to ask and I hope this has helped.

Benjamin Phillips-Bachelor of Creative Technology (Sound and Audio Production), (Hons) Sonic Arts, MMusTech (Master of Music Technology), M.Phil (Fine Art)
    http://1331.space/
    https://thedigitalartist.bandcamp.com/
    http://soundcloud.com/aaudiomystiks
    radio
    Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2782
    Re:Please Critique my Song - Mixed/Mastered on Sonar 2011/07/24 00:04:46 (permalink)

Nice start but the song needs a better mix and the drums are all over the place with lack of timming .
    What are you using to create your drum track , just wondering ?

Anyway with some work on the mix and fix the drum track I think you'll have a good song .

Radio

Portsmouth
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 70
    Re:Please Critique my Song - Mixed/Mastered on Sonar 2011/07/24 06:27:32 (permalink)
    Firstly I love the song. And here's what I think using your questions above. And don't forget it's only my opinion.

1) Distorted guitars, I'd have more in there and have them louder. They get a bit lost behind the crash cymbals.
    2) The arrangement/structure. Its well put together and doesn't get boring or samey.
    3) Drums could be a slighly bit tighter. I heard the odd stick clash and I think one crash came in too early at 01:04.
    4)  More guitars, panned in different positions to thicken it up. All with different EQ settings as well.
    5) I'd give it 7 at the moment. Def potential for a 10 though.

Excellent, you should be proud of what you've done here.
    post edited by Portsmouth - 2011/07/24 11:56:41
    StudioCat57
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 209
    Re:Please Critique my Song - Mixed/Mastered on Sonar 2011/07/24 10:46:52 (permalink)
    Re-examine the mix... For some reason the cymbal crashes jump out way to much...Also rushing and timing issues with the drums...Cool idea as a song!!

Peace!!

P-4 3.0ghz- 3 gigs ram
    Sonar 6.021 Producer
    DM-3200
    Motu 2408mk3
    Lots of VST's
    Janet
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8094
    Re:Please Critique my Song - Mixed/Mastered on Sonar 2011/07/24 11:23:10 (permalink)
    From what I've heard, this is one of the most active forums around.  But it does seem like everyone's busy with other things this summer, so don't despair.  I'm not really a mix critiquer, but something's not doing it for me on this song.  Most likely things that Ben mentioned above.  Great playing and singing. 
    playintheGstring
    Re:Please Critique my Song - Mixed/Mastered on Sonar 2011/07/25 11:43:11 (permalink)

First of all thank you for the replies, and now some honesty: I played and recorded all the instruments and singing on this track and I did it with 1 SM58 microphone and 1 guitar distortion pedal.  I recorded the guitar and bass DI, and the drums and vocals using the SM58 (for the drums I played the track a bunch of times against the click track and had the mic in a different position.  The other question I have is regarding effects processing on the voice, given the style of the voice do you hear any effect or plug-in/adjustment that comes to mind that would be most appropriate for improving the vocals?

Ben: Thanks for those comments.  After fooling with those suggestions, I know what you are talking about now.  I have been mixing by listening to each track individually and adjusting the sound to try and make that instrument sound its best, but I realize that every instrument can't sound perfect because they are overlapping each other in the frequencies and get too muddy.  I started to mix by listening to each track with the whole mix going so then I can actually hear what will bring out that track.  Thanks! Also the way I mixed the drums was a track for cymbals, a track for overhead, and a track for snare.  Then in the interlude after the guitart solo at 2:50 I mic'ed the top and bottom of a floor tom and then mixed that sound individually.  On the tracks themselves, I added compression ( i don't know what parallel compression is), and then I EQ'd them and added some effects to add more life and resonance, you can hear it best in the songs opening (the drums are very dead and dull in the dry recording).

Radio: I recorded the drums with 1 SM58 mic and multiple takes.

Portsmouth: Thank you, those are great comments, and thank you for using my questions!  That really gives me a good idea of where I am at. I'm going to try to tone down the cymbals, especially the splash, I think thats what people are hearing cut through too much.

Studio: Thanks, I'm going to try to tone down the cymbals so they aren't so shrill and piercing and dominating.

Janet: Do you think what you are hearing is what Ben said, that the frequencies are overlapping too much in the tracks?

post edited by playintheGstring - 2011/07/25 12:23:29
    No How
    Max Output Level: -23.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5180
    Re:Please Critique my Song - Mixed/Mastered on Sonar 2011/07/25 12:28:51 (permalink)
    Hi and welcome to our little neighborhood.

Cool weird song.   Love the guitars.
    I think the drums are way too loud and there is an eq issue with the snare....it sounds like an empty oatmeal tub.
    I can't really hear any bass.
    To make it better i would make sure the drums weren't stepping all over the lead vocal and give each instrument a little more of it's own space.

I hope to hear more!

s o n g s

– Beauty lodged in a bad hotel has no value.  Raymond Lull
    spacealf
    Max Output Level: -54 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2133
    Re:Please Critique my Song - Mixed/Mastered on Sonar 2011/07/25 14:29:58 (permalink)
    Yep, that's about it. Drum track (combined) too loud, not enough bass and whatever depending perhaps a little on volume played back to listen to it with.

PenguiN42
    • Total Posts : 201
    Re:Please Critique my Song - Mixed/Mastered on Sonar 2011/07/25 14:56:00 (permalink)
    I'm listening at work on crappy headphones, but one thing that stuck out to me was that the high frequencies of the cymbals were too loud (A lot of people are saying the cymbals are too loud in general, but the first thing I'd try is to dull the HF a little bit to match the frequency balance of the rest of the song).

I really like the arrangement, agree a bit with the "tighten up the timing" remarks, though the slightly loose timing gives a cool "organic" feel so I wouldn't worry too much. 

As for other forums you could also check out gearslutz.com

Check out my band Never Right Now -- SONAR powered! :)
    www.neverrightnow.com
    ruralrocker2010
    Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 616
    Re:Please Critique my Song - Mixed/Mastered on Sonar 2011/07/29 19:46:20 (permalink)
    1) What is the weakest aspect of the song's production? 
    The mix. There's too much space between everything and it sounds like it was recorded on an SM58 using multiple takes. There are timing issues and competing frequencies.

2) What is the coolest/best aspect of the song or potential best aspect of the song? 
    The bridge is clearly where you're most inspired. I would start with that and build from it

3) What should be done to the song to make it sound better/more professional? 
    mmmmm, This needs to be re-recorded with better gear. If that's not an option, I would focus on room treatments to kill the "air" in the room.

4) If you were to change/improve one thing what would it be? 
    Timing issues. Even with a bad recording, timing issues are a killer. I'll listen to a bad recording of a great song, that's tight, well played and meangingful. But, timing issues that make it to final cut means someone was in a hurry and didn't focus on making sure it was the best they could possibly do.

5) On a scale of 1 -10 how professional sounding is this track? 

There's some good advice out here. Keep your head up and re-work this song. You'll have something sooner than later.

Joshua Barnes
    Sonar Platinum / RME UCX / i5 3.2 8 GB Memory (Dell Inspiron) / Komplete 10 / Win 7 Home 64 Bit
    bayoubill
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 10899
    Re:Please Critique my Song - Mixed/Mastered on Sonar 2011/07/29 22:32:28 (permalink)
    It's just a matter of time G string. You can surely play and sing very well. Making a quality recording takes much time and effort. The advice given here will speed up your learning process. I can't think of anything to add to what's already been said. Record record record then record some more. There are plenty of videos and written materials posted on the forum to help with each subject regarding quality work.  After all if it was that easy anyone could belt out a masterpiece. Stay at it and HAVE FUN! That's what it's all about. Thanks for posting your music! peace

SWAMP MUSIC
    Sonar PLATINUM        
    Studio Cat DAW

One Reason
    • Total Posts : 40
    Re:Please Critique my Song - Mixed/Mastered on Sonar 2011/07/29 23:14:34 (permalink)
    The timing is by far and away the worst problem. looks like u have some good constructive critique here to build on.

Good luck!
    Bonjo
    • Total Posts : 205
    Re:Please Critique my Song - Mixed/Mastered on Sonar 2011/07/31 15:17:50 (permalink)
    I think you've got a decent song in here. As others have said, a remix is probably in order, but certainly the basis of major riffage is apparent. Well done.

Win10 64-bit. Intel i7QuadCore 4.20GHz. 32Gb Ram. Sonar Platinum.

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1