Please Don't Be Stupid

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
No How
Max Output Level: -23.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5180
Re:Please Don't Be Stupid 2011/05/06 00:59:03 (permalink)
Hello Julianna,

Happy you had a listen.  It was intended for a female vox but she never got back to poor little ol' me....i can take the hint....i am glad to have sung it though because it's written in blood.  (too many of these kind of songs make for very enemic songsters.) 

Thanks a bunch for popping in!

:)
post edited by No How - 2011/05/06 01:00:43

s o n g s

– Beauty lodged in a bad hotel has no value.  Raymond Lull
Beagle
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 50621
Re:Please Don't Be Stupid 2011/05/06 18:41:38 (permalink)
hey, Rick, I tried to listen but for some reason it's not working.  I can get to your soundclick page if I don't use the direct link and use your soundclick link in your signature, but when I try to play this song it just "sits and spins"

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
Bob Oister
Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2766
Re:Please Don't Be Stupid 2011/05/07 04:40:52 (permalink)
Hey, Rick,

Very cool, extremely well written song! Great vocals and lyrics, and the unique vibe has your unmistakable Reckless Gents trademark style.

Good stuff!
Bob
MannyNY
Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 732
Re:Please Don't Be Stupid 2011/05/07 08:09:11 (permalink)
Like walking through a door and falling on to the surface of some odd world – yes, I’m talking about the material and the production. A serious song but there’s also an element of humor in there. I don’t hear material like this anywhere – you mention some groups on your page (for fans of . . .) and I don’t know those bands. I sort of don’t want to know them because I’d prefer to not associate this music with anything other than your own wacky take on things. Your vocals are rough but totally appropriate in this context – controlled but also aggressive at time. I would imagine hearing someone else sing this would be a bit of a let-down. Chords and melody (as usual) take off on their own little journeys but always manage to get home before dark. Choice of instruments is wonderful – there is always something to make me say “hmm, is that a flugelhorn or am I simply tripping?”. Once again – bravo Gents.
darylcrowley
Max Output Level: -48.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2700
Re:Please Don't Be Stupid 2011/05/07 11:59:39 (permalink)
This strangley reminded me of The Funeral March of the Marrionets. (Hitchcock theme).

It would fit in something like Nightmare Before Chirstmas.    Cool.

Daryl

Daryl Crowley
Sonica Labs I7 Quad Core -
Windows 7 64bit Professional
Sonar 8.5 Producer - Ozone 4
http://www.darylcrowley.com/
RobertB
  • Total Posts : 11256
Re:Please Don't Be Stupid 2011/05/07 23:08:08 (permalink)
Hey Rick, finally getting a chance to listen to this. 
This is a little different direction for you, but your style is hard to miss.
It sounds like you got the lows under control, as I don't hear any of what was mentioned earlier. I am hearing some sibilance that is a bit distracting.
I like the lyrics. This speaks of a place I've been and hope not to return to anytime soon.

My Soundclick Page
SONAR Professional, X3eStudio,W7 64bit, AMD Athlon IIx4 2.8Ghz, 4GB RAM, 64bit, AKAI EIE Pro, Nektar Impact LX61,Alesis DM6,Alesis ControlPad,Yamaha MG10/2,Alesis M1Mk2 monitors,Samson Servo300,assorted guitars,Lava Lamp

Shimozu-Kushiari or Bob
No How
Re:Please Don't Be Stupid 2011/05/09 10:58:05 (permalink)
"hey, Rick, I tried to listen but for some reason it's not working.  I can get to your soundclick page if I don't use the direct link and use your soundclick link in your signature, but when I try to play this song it just "sits and spins"
Hello Beag.......Yes, the song is about a relationship just sitting and spinning for eons ...you didn't like the mix? :)

Very cool, extremely well written song! Great vocals and lyrics, and the unique vibe has your unmistakable Reckless Gents trademark style.
Good stuff!
Bob
Hi Bob.............That's cool you liked!  Thanks for taking time to give it a listen...much appreciated.

"Like walking through a door and falling on to the surface of some odd world – yes, I’m talking about the material and the production. A serious song but there’s also an element of humor in there. I don’t hear material like this anywhere – you mention some groups on your page (for fans of . . .) and I don’t know those bands. I sort of don’t want to know them because I’d prefer to not associate this music with anything other than your own wacky take on things. Your vocals are rough but totally appropriate in this context – controlled but also aggressive at time. I would imagine hearing someone else sing this would be a bit of a let-down. Chords and melody (as usual) take off on their own little journeys but always manage to get home before dark. Choice of instruments is wonderful – there is always something to make me say “hmm, is that a flugelhorn or am I simply tripping?”. Once again – bravo Gents. "
Manny..........Wow...you're review is like a colorful novelette.:)  There's a couple songs in that paragraph for sure.  Of course I'm honored by your appraisal and it sets all my little muse folk a fluttering. 
Thank you for the kind words!

This strangley reminded me of The Funeral March of the Marrionets. (Hitchcock theme).
It would fit in something like Nightmare Before Chirstmas.    Cool.
Daryl
Daryl.........Funny comparison!  I don't hear it but so what. 
Thank you for coming by to have a listen and comment!

Hey Rick, finally getting a chance to listen to this. 
This is a little different direction for you, but your style is hard to miss.
It sounds like you got the lows under control, as I don't hear any of what was mentioned earlier. I am hearing some sibilance that is a bit distracting.
I like the lyrics. This speaks of a place I've been and hope not to return to anytime soon.
Hi Bob.......Nice to hear from you!  I did get a handle on the low end with all the great help here.  I'll check out the sibs.  You're so right about the dread of such a place to be in.  I'm quite fortunate to have barely made it through. 
Thank you for the listen and notes!

s o n g s

dke
Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 724
Re:Please Don't Be Stupid 2011/05/11 02:51:21 (permalink)
I really, really, like this song especially the chorus.  The song reminded me of something Lennon/Harrison might have done.  Nice vocals, great background vocals as well.  I truly enjoyed the song a bunch of times! 

Dan

Sonar Platinum ( x64),  Windows 10 x64, HP Envy i5 2.9GHZ, 8GB, Tascam 4x4 USB, BX5a Monitors.
Spark
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 123
Re:Please Don't Be Stupid 2011/05/11 18:39:41 (permalink)
this is a peach. I'm probably not qualified to comment on the technical intricacies of the mix, but it sounded pretty good to me, and the song, well it passed the goose bump test and that's my main criteria for any song! love it.
Tap
Max Output Level: -30 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4536
Re:Please Don't Be Stupid 2011/05/11 21:27:51 (permalink)
A very interesting variation on a mode or should I say mood. Unfortunately, It keeps dropping out at about 49 secs into the song?  I really love your lyrics which match your signature vocals. Nice choice of instrumentation. I'll have to come back to this one, Rick!

MC4 - M-Audio FW410 / Behringer UCA202 - Fender Strat / Jazzmaster / DuoSonic / Washburn / Peavy Foundation M-Audio Radium 49 Roland Juno 106 / JazzChorus / Seymore Duncan Convertible - HP A1230N ( AMD Athalon 3800+ 2G Ram + 200G HD )

http://soundclick.com/cut2thechaise

No How
Re:Please Don't Be Stupid 2011/05/14 13:32:27 (permalink)
"I really, really, like this song especially the chorus.  The song reminded me of something Lennon/Harrison might have done.  Nice vocals, great background vocals as well.  I truly enjoyed the song a bunch of times! 
Dan"
Hello Dan..........I am happy you liked and even gave it a couple spins.  Your bassline in 'i need you' is still haunting me.  Beautiful stuff.  Thanks again for coming by to hear.

"this is a peach. I'm probably not qualified to comment on the technical intricacies of the mix, but it sounded pretty good to me, and the song, well it passed the goose bump test and that's my main criteria for any song! love it. "
Mr.Spark............Man, if i passed the Goosebump test i'm in seventh heaven.  I know what it means to me to get the bumps from a song and it's as good a boost as a guy can get.  Thank you for listening and saying so!

"A very interesting variation on a mode or should I say mood. Unfortunately, It keeps dropping out at about 49 secs into the song?  I really love your lyrics which match your signature vocals. Nice choice of instrumentation. I'll have to come back to this one, Rick!"
Hey Tap!.........Nice to hear from you!  Soundclick is full of glitches these days..not sure what's up.  Beag also had trouble listening.
I appreciate you giving an ear and i hope you got to hear the whole song.

s o n g s

radio
Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2782
Re:Please Don't Be Stupid 2011/05/14 13:39:35 (permalink)

I like the song , the vocals to me sounded alittle off key in my ears . The message is good , I would work on the vocals some more and clean up your mix some .
This slow type of music really needs spot on vocals to make it sound effective , just my opinion .

Radio

paulo
Max Output Level: -13 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 6218
Re:Please Don't Be Stupid 2011/05/14 14:00:37 (permalink)
Ahh the gents are back - yay  !

I think this just might be my favourite of all your tracks to date - can't decide between this and "Where you used to be"

Only listening on lappy so it's hard to comment to much on the mix, but some of the vox are not quite as clear as I think they deserve to be as the lyric is really quite something (I'm always envious of your abilities here and you've almost outdone yourself here) and it seems a shame to have to work to hear it.
CLEAN
Max Output Level: -47 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2842
Re:Please Don't Be Stupid 2011/05/14 19:08:25 (permalink)
Rick, you do some of the most interesting music here. Your music is so in line with what the Beatles did. This is just great - and your voice just knocks me out.

THE PUGTONES
Mark
Kroneborge
Max Output Level: -65 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1300
Re:Please Don't Be Stupid 2011/05/14 20:39:50 (permalink)
rockinrobby

I like this Rick, I hope it's not an biography :-( divorce is the bane of modern society... People throw each other away like a piece of wadded up Kleenex. The country as a whole would be a lot better off if people throught twice about it, and then thought again... I liked the song, but it made me sad.

+1000.

It seems like too many people are not willing to put the effort in to make a relationship work.  I guess the grass is always greener on the other side... 

so sad.

Mathew

Hip Hop
http://www.soundclick.com...ault.cfm?bandID=213418

BreakBeats
http://www.soundclick.com...ault.cfm?bandID=219099

i7 12 gb ram, Komplete 5, Izotope Ozone & Stutter, Symphonic Orchestra Plat.

jamesg1213
  • Total Posts : 21760
Re:Please Don't Be Stupid 2011/05/15 04:16:27 (permalink)
Beautifully written song Rick, those melancholy verses leading up to a really memorable angsty chorus - love it. Quite short, but possibly more powerful like that.

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer
No How
Re:Please Don't Be Stupid 2011/05/16 13:08:40 (permalink)
"I like the song , the vocals to me sounded alittle off key in my ears . The message is good , I would work on the vocals some more and clean up your mix some .
This slow type of music really needs spot on vocals to make it sound effective , just my opinion .
Radio"
Hi Radio....Yes, the vocals do sound a little off.  I will have to redo them at some point but i'm probably going to wait a bit to get my voice in shape.  THank you for coming by and leaving helpful comments!

"Ahh the gents are back - yay  !
I think this just might be my favourite of all your tracks to date - can't decide between this and "Where you used to be" 
 Only listening on lappy so it's hard to comment to much on the mix, but some of the vox are not quite as clear as I think they deserve to be as the lyric is really quite something (I'm always envious of your abilities here and you've almost outdone yourself here) and it seems a shame to have to work to hear it
."
Hi Paulo..........So nice to be welcomed!!!  Thank you.  I'm thrilled you like it so much.  It was something I was going to forget about but said 'what the heck'.  I've tried a couple things to bring articulation after the fact but i guess it needs to be resung....which i'll get to during my next slow time. 
Thank you for the ears and kind comments!

"Rick, you do some of the most interesting music here. Your music is so in line with what the Beatles did. This is just great - and your voice just knocks me out."
Hi Mark........That's awefully nice of you to say so.  I just make sure i post when everyone's in a good mood! :)
Thank you for the listen and kind hearted support!

"It seems like too many people are not willing to put the effort in to make a relationship work.  I guess the grass is always greener on the other side...
so sad.
"
Hi Mathew.......Not sure it's that black and white.  Some relationships are better left lived in opposite hemispheres.  Some are better off being worked out.  Fortunately for me, so far, we're working it out and applying lots of humor.  It's not always that easy.
Thank you for the listen and sincere comments.

"Beautifully written song Rick, those melancholy verses leading up to a really memorable angsty chorus - love it. Quite short, but possibly more powerful like that."
Hey James!..........Nice to see you here.  I'm so very happy you liked my moody somber snapshot of marriage.
The older i get the more melancholy and sad my songs get.  Time to upgrade to better wine.  Thank you, sir, for popping in.

s o n g s

Taylor_514C
Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1215
Re:Please Don't Be Stupid 2011/05/17 20:28:51 (permalink)
Enjoyed it Rick - no crits on the mix - I liked the vox and BGVs - nicely done.

-Doug

Taylor_514CMy Music:

thepogue
Max Output Level: -50.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2458
Re:Please Don't Be Stupid 2011/05/17 20:37:41 (permalink)
I've always loved the tension in your voice..here it screams!! love it.....and then the shift to the awesome swaying chorus

great job me brudda!
No How
Re:Please Don't Be Stupid 2011/05/19 08:41:00 (permalink)
"Enjoyed it Rick - no crits on the mix - I liked the vox and BGVs - nicely done.
-Doug"
 Hello Doug.............Thank you for coming by to listen.  It's good to see ya roun' here!

"I've always loved the tension in your voice..here it screams!! love it.....and then the shift to the awesome swaying chorus
great job me brudda!"
Hey Tom..............It's good to hear that i could pull it off. Thank you kindly for the listen...and shot in the arm!

s o n g s

Psalmist35
Max Output Level: -61 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1471
Re:Please Don't Be Stupid 2011/05/19 08:54:48 (permalink)
This is a great song.  The lyrics really create so many thoughts and feelings.  Great job! 

I love the chord choices they are very complimentary to the song as a whole.  Vocal performance was great.

George Foreman Grill; Ginsu knifes; Clapper; Home Grown Intel i7 -6700K 16G Ram; Sonar Platinum; MOTU 896HD; Tascam US2400; 

My Music
Alegria
Max Output Level: -54.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2075
Re:Please Don't Be Stupid 2011/05/19 13:10:47 (permalink)
Sombre... very. A delicate subject matter whichever way you dice it. Your unique and original approach is alive and well. And what about those lyrics eh! Thanks for sharing Rick. I'm always looking forward to hearing what you've been musically up to. 
cryophonik
Max Output Level: -28 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4724
Re:Please Don't Be Stupid 2011/05/20 00:23:11 (permalink)
The track definitely has a raw quality to it that fits the subject perfectly.  A few people suggested cleaning it up in various ways, but I personally think that a song like this needs to be honest and straightforward, just the way you delivered it.  Nice work on what is obviously a heartfelt piece, Rick.

cryophonik   |   soundcloud  |   Facebook

Q6600 | GA-EP45-UD3P | Windows 7 64 | 8GB
Access Virus Keyboard TI2 | Kurzweil PC3X | NI Maschine

No How
Re:Please Don't Be Stupid 2011/05/22 06:52:10 (permalink)
"This is a great song.  The lyrics really create so many thoughts and feelings.  Great job!  
I love the chord choices they are very complimentary to the song as a whole.  Vocal performance was great
. "
Hi Richard............Thank you for coming by to have a listen and for the comments.  I'm really glad you enjoyed.

"Sombre... very. A delicate subject matter whichever way you dice it. Your unique and original approach is alive and well. And what about those lyrics eh! Thanks for sharing Rick. I'm always looking forward to hearing what you've been musically up to "
Howdie JC...........I'm always happy you make it in for a listen.  Your comments always make the coals brighter.  Thank you!

"The track definitely has a raw quality to it that fits the subject perfectly.  A few people suggested cleaning it up in various ways, but I personally think that a song like this needs to be honest and straightforward, just the way you delivered it.  Nice work on what is obviously a heartfelt piece, Rick. "
Hi Dave............Yeah, funny thing is I DID clean it up..it always sounds rough.  (I have an older Cakewalk that has a courser grit sandpaper).  Thanks for the ears and kind comments...i'm glad you got to listen.

s o n g s

Taylor_514C
Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1215
Re:Please Don't Be Stupid 2011/05/22 20:27:43 (permalink)
Enjoyed it Rick - never heard another song like it.  Only crit - more bottom end to the bass.  I'd like to get my BGVs to sound like yours - haven't figured that out yet.

-Doug

Taylor_514CMy Music:

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1