Please Help - Comments Needed on New Song

Author
My Cats Pet
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 120
2005/02/23 16:51:54 (permalink)

Please Help - Comments Needed on New Song

I have finally posted something new - "Nobody's Baby." I wouldn't quite call the the song done, I'm not completely happy with the vocals in places and haven't yet added a bass line. Also, I would love to get a better distortion sound on the guitar in the chorus but have equipment limitations. In terms of the keyboard playing, please be gentle in your comments, as I've only been playing around with the Casio my wife got me for a few months (before then hadn't really played any keyboards at all).

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/0/mycatspetmusic.htm

Your comments, suggestions, critique, whatever are very much desired and welcome.

Thanks
post edited by My Cats Pet - 2005/02/23 20:55:34

10 Replies Related Threads

M
    Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1516
    RE: Please Help - Comments Needed on New Song 2005/02/23 17:54:18 (permalink)
    Wow, JB!

That's almost so far out that I like it. . . I think. . .

It has some Beatles experimental qualities with a little Queen tossed in for good measure. (Brit pop, indeed.)

It's ambitious, I'll say.

M
    zepo1a
    Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 686
    RE: Please Help - Comments Needed on New Song 2005/02/24 06:28:04 (permalink)
    that's pretty cool! Sure it needs some work (tones, instruments, vocal, etc..)

I like everything there, it just all needs to be a little more clear and defined.

Zep--

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=292801
    Now Featuring
    The Bestest Little Wing Solo EVAR!!!!!
    Blackbird (A Beatles Cover)
    and
    COAFBH (Or, How not to make a 4 track tape recording!)
    My Cats Pet
    RE: Please Help - Comments Needed on New Song 2005/02/24 20:31:21 (permalink)
    Thanks for the encouraging words, both of your music is pretty damn good - gives me something to shoot for.

Well, hoping that I get some more comments, it all helps.
    My Cats Pet
    RE: Please Help - Comments Needed on New Song 2005/02/28 15:15:47 (permalink)
    Well, I hate to bump this back up, but seeing as I only got two comments I'm going to. The reason is that I'm basically still new at this and have found that comments I got in the past were very helpful (yes, even the negative ones ... take that medicine, it's good for you) and I was hoping to keep working on/rework this song ... so the feedback would be helpful before I do.

Thanks in advance (sorry for the bump, I won't do it again).
    pluto
    Max Output Level: -73 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 875
    RE: Please Help - Comments Needed on New Song 2005/03/01 01:21:08 (permalink)
    Listened to both your tracks. As for "Nobody's Baby".
    Tons of potential there. I think it's a great song. Just bring
    down the crash cymbols a little, you need a better sounding
    drum sound but you definitely get the point/idea across with
    what you have. Could be equipment limitations, I know how it
    feels. I also have equipment limitations but you make the best
    of what you have. Bring up the bass and add some punch
    to it and you'll have a great song. Excellent vocals. I'm really
    impressed.... keep up the great writing. You should try to
    collab with a pro bass player and pro drummer for this one.

Ditto on all of the above for "Alone In A Crowd". Lots of potential.
    Great vocals. Seems like you have the vocals down pat in both
    your songs. Wouldn't do much to those.

For being new at this, you're doing a great job.

Pluto
    MannyNY
    Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 732
    RE: Please Help - Comments Needed on New Song 2005/03/01 06:34:32 (permalink)
    MCP,

I agree with the Beatles/Queen associations and that’s a good thing. A few vox rough spots (2:10 – “lost in…”) and the overall mix sounds thin on my system. I’m not very technical so I’ll just shut the hell up when it comes to that stuff. Love the vibes/marimba thing. Drums get wacky but I think I understand what you were going for and I like it. This is inventive music, you’re willing to back off on the instruments and let the vocal take front stage – nice change of pace. I also like the way you use the piano to ground the tune yet hop off into other areas. Lyrics are interesting also – the observer point of view – detached – nice touch. I think it’s a fun song - I listened many times. If you sort out the drums and fatten up the tones, I think it will be a real blast. Good job
    Fat Dog Studio
    • Total Posts : 121
    RE: Please Help - Comments Needed on New Song 2005/03/01 23:19:05 (permalink)
    Crisp clear vocals. What are you using for vocals (mics effects etc)
    My Cats Pet
    RE: Please Help - Comments Needed on New Song 2005/03/02 09:48:29 (permalink)
    Actually, I'm using a pretty cheap mic (I think it was $30 at Radio Shack, but at the time I bought it if I heard the words "Shur" I would have thought somehow was saying "yes" to me). In terms of effects, in places where its single tracked on vocals, no effect, completely dry. In places where I double track, I pan the dry with bias to the right and pan a second harmony to the left at a lower volume with a slight reverb effect. For multi-vocal part harmonies, I do use a slight flanger effect on at least one of the vocal parts.

Its funny that you make this comment because the in first song that I did "Alone In a Crowd", I was very unhappy with the vocals, particularly the idea that they sounded "muddy" to me (pitch drift in a few places didn't make me happy either). So on this tune, my second, I focused on trying to make sure that the music didn't cancel out the vocals and on mic placement, enunciation, etc.

Thanks for the comments ... I'm having a killer week, but will try to hunt down some of your stuff and listen to it this weekend.
    ed_mcg
    Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2741
    RE: Please Help - Comments Needed on New Song 2005/03/02 10:15:58 (permalink)
    Really interesting piece of music; it really takes the listener on a journey, hard to believe it's only 3:11 long (in a good way). There's a couple places where you are pushing your voice beyond your control point (i.e., 0:50 - 0:55). Otherwise vocals are impressive. Need to add that bass line at least on the crescendos. Drums are somewhat overly flangy, especially leading up to the 2:00.

Pretty darn impressive. I'll listening to hear how this progresses.
    AUSTN
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 49
    RE: Please Help - Comments Needed on New Song 2005/03/02 11:00:32 (permalink)
    Great intro on song, wow Beatles flar with Queen flavour on top. A nice drone bassline will help alot as the piano and guitar parts are moving and hop with life. Vocals are great but the bass line in there will probably make you remix them... I like the guitar in the chorus don't change it till you see how it interacts with a bottom end bassline... Keep play'n with it and keep play'n.... -Austn
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1