Please Help Me! Stuttering audio.

Author
cAPSLOCK
Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1071
2005/08/12 14:29:18 (permalink)

Please Help Me! Stuttering audio.

I don't even know how to begin with this.

I am also not sure if Sonar is a culprit in this scenario. But maybe one of you kind folks or gurus out there have seen this happen before.

I have been getting what seems to be a progressively increasing audio problem. TO hear an example of it listen tho this mp3:
http://noisevault.com/temp/help.mp3

This mp3 was made while trying to record with Sonar to this existing song. Usually the problem is like the single blip in the first half of the recording, but I am able to make it happen more frequently (like you heard in the second part) by turning on disk buffering as I did in the second part.

Each time the disk is written to (or read from?) that glitch occurs. It happens if I hit save in Sonar during playback. Obviously it wrecks havok on a recording session... and causes glitches in the recorded tracks for the lost time of the halting audio.

Thing is - it also occurs sometimes when playing back audio in Sound Forge and even Winamp.

Now... get ready for the crazy part. Here is a mostly complete list of what I have done to try to slolve this problem.

1. Change card slot locations... every permutation.
2. Update all drivers.
3. Downgrade all drivers.
4. Remove all plugins
5. Remove all uneeded hardware.
6. Defrag dskchk etc.
7. Replace power supply
8. Change PCI latency timings in every direction and combination.
9. Reinstall OS from scratch.
10. Try Sonar 4.0.0-4.0.3
11. INSTALL ENTIRELY NEW MOTHERBOARD
12. Reinstall OS AGAIN on new system.
13. Try other hard drives
14. Try other hard drive CONTROLLERS (FOUR in total!) including 2 SATA and 2 PATA

So on a fresh OS install on a brand new computer with tested memory, defraged Hard Drives of either SATA or PATA flavor I am getting this glitch in what seems to be an increasing amount.

I am starting to wonder if it is my audio controller card (HammerfallDSP)

My *CURRENT* system:
ASUS A8V Deluxe
A64 3500+, 1GB, ATI Fanless middle of the road AGP card.
2X UAD1
RME Hammerfall DSP / Digiface

What do you guys think?

"We da da sahw pe paw fidlily-doobee afidlily-dooten-bweebee!" -Shooby

7 Replies Related Threads

SteveD
    Max Output Level: -47 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2831
    RE: Please Help Me! Stuttering audio. 2005/08/12 16:18:08 (permalink)
    Holy crap cAPS!!!

You did all that since 4.0.3 was released?

EDIT: UHHH!! I just listened to that clip! Your studio must be down right?

Bet you're not gettin' any sleep!

Can you get a Digiface on loan while you get yours checked out?

If you're really SOL... I've got a Digiface I'm not using. I could ship it down to you as a loaner 'til you get this sorted out.
    post edited by SteveD - 2005/08/12 16:34:36

SteveD
    DAWPRO Drum Tracks

... addicted to gear
    cAPSLOCK
    RE: Please Help Me! Stuttering audio. 2005/08/12 16:58:13 (permalink)
    Yeah... I have sessions lined up this weekend, and yes, this has all been done since 4.0.3. But the problem was creeping up on me little by little before 4.0.3

I just got off the phone with the RME US distributer. The guy was really trying to be helpful, but kept saying it was a config thing and not the card. Which it may be... but I just don't know how at this point. He is convinced that it is an IRQ conflict... but the card currently has it's own REAL IRQ (3 or 5 cant remember which) and it's own ACIP IRQ (19). It is sharing with nothing.

I am at my wits end, and yes, my business is pretty much shut down.

Your offer to loan a card is so super cool I don't even know what to say. But I hate for you to have to go to so much trouble when I am not absolutely sure if it is a solution. Too bad you are not here in Dallas.. hey any HDSP users in Dallas feeling charitable?? ;) haha..

Well wish me luck, I HAVE to get this sorted somehow.

cAPS

SteveD
    RE: Please Help Me! Stuttering audio. 2005/08/12 17:27:29 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: cAPSLOCK

Yeah... I have sessions lined up this weekend, and yes, this has all been done since 4.0.3. But the problem was creeping up on me little by little before 4.0.3

I just got off the phone with the RME US distributer. The guy was really trying to be helpful, but kept saying it was a config thing and not the card. Which it may be... but I just don't know how at this point. He is convinced that it is an IRQ conflict... but the card currently has it's own REAL IRQ (3 or 5 cant remember which) and it's own ACIP IRQ (19). It is sharing with nothing.

I am at my wits end, and yes, my business is pretty much shut down.

Your offer to loan a card is so super cool I don't even know what to say. But I hate for you to have to go to so much trouble when I am not absolutely sure if it is a solution. Too bad you are not here in Dallas.. hey any HDSP users in Dallas feeling charitable?? ;) haha..

Well wish me luck, I HAVE to get this sorted somehow.

cAPS

It's the least I can do out of gratitude for Noisevault.

I switched from the Digiface to the Lynx AES16 some time ago and I only keep the Digiface around for occassional ADAT transfers.

I would ship you the Digiface and the PCI card. If it proves to be the culprit... you can take RME to task and have them service or replace the unit or card... which ever is broke. I'm assuming this could be turned around within 6 weeks or so. You can ship it back when you get it sorted.

Have you tried using an old Soundblaster card or your on-board sound... even at 16 bit just to see if you can prove it's the interface?
    post edited by SteveD - 2005/08/13 00:32:57

SteveD
    DAWPRO Drum Tracks

... addicted to gear
    Junski
    Max Output Level: -59.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1570
    RE: Please Help Me! Stuttering audio. 2005/08/12 17:44:47 (permalink)
    <deleted by the poster>
    post edited by Junski - 2006/01/14 02:55:48

cAPSLOCK
    RE: Please Help Me! Stuttering audio. 2005/08/13 04:02:37 (permalink)
    Thank you thank you thank you for all the support! Weirdly everything seems to be working OK suddenly. Obviously I have made several changes but this is sorta mostly good news, but kind of ominous since I am not sure why everything is suddenly better. ;) Spose I will not complain untill/if it comes back.

I did however make quite a useful discovery during this process that would be useful to all those who have had problems with CLSIDs on reinstalls. The thread is here:

http://forum.cakewalk.com/tm.asp?m=561734&mpage=1&key=򉉆

Thank again guys for your kindness... It made me feel good on a very BAD day. Hopefully I will be working OK from here on. (ha hahaha ha hahahahahah!!! oooohhh... that's a good one!!!)

cAPS

anton harris
    Max Output Level: -73 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 860
    RE: Please Help Me! Stuttering audio. 2005/08/13 04:11:31 (permalink)
    Hey caps,did you get a solution to your problem(just in case others have a similar complaint wit that s/card) That was some crazy s--t going on there.

A computer,
    a drumkit,
    a voice,
    a little little bit of talent,
    www.myspace.com/antzmalandluke

SteveD
    RE: Please Help Me! Stuttering audio. 2005/08/13 08:52:47 (permalink)
    Glad you're up and running cAPS. That's great news.

SteveD
    DAWPRO Drum Tracks

... addicted to gear
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1