AnsweredPlease Remove the Challende/Response Activation (for users who pay upfront)

Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
Author
drjee
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 494
2015/01/17 09:22:40 (permalink)

Please Remove the Challende/Response Activation (for users who pay upfront)

Hi,

all in all, I find the new system (choose to subscribe or pay up-front) fair enough. What I really do not like is challenge/response. From what I learnt reading the forum, a machine specific code is created and each install on an new machine must be activated separately. I do not like the idea that I am dependent on Cakewalk to exist to be able to activate my software. Therefore, I would rather accept a dongle. Cakewalk's liberal copy protection system was one of the main reasons why I chose Sonar (and not, for example, Cubase). Now, that seems to have changed. Please, remove the challenge/response for users who pay up-front (just as it used to be).

cheers, drjee
Bristol_Jonesey
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 16775
Re: Please Remove the Challende/Response Activation (for users who pay upfront) 2015/01/17 10:11:25 (permalink)
I'ts no different to how it was before

CbB, Platinum, 64 bit throughout
Custom built i7 3930, 32Gb RAM, 2 x 1Tb Internal HDD, 1 x 1TB system SSD (Win 7), 1 x 500Gb system SSD (Win 10), 2 x 1Tb External HDD's, Dual boot Win 7 & Win 10 64 Bit, Saffire Pro 26, ISA One, Adam P11A,
Unknowen
Max Output Level: -65 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1276
Re: Please Remove the Challende/Response Activation (for users who pay upfront) 2015/01/17 10:21:21 (permalink)
I would tend to agree with a dependency on a company to exist to have access to something I paid for.
I would hate to buy a wedding dress and just before the big day find the store went out of business and my dress is in the wind ;)  
I know that Waves is setup that way, Ik seems the same or moving in that direction. Now that I think about it there are a few others that use this security feature.
I would like to think/hope if a company is going under they would make previsions for this scenario...

Peace!
Greeny
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 181
Re: Please Remove the Challende/Response Activation (for users who pay upfront) 2015/01/17 10:28:24 (permalink)
I don't think you need to worry about cakewalk disappearing anytime soon, they gotta protect themselves somehow no? Beats a dongle imho
kitekrazy1
Max Output Level: -40 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3524
Re: Please Remove the Challende/Response Activation (for users who pay upfront) 2015/01/17 11:08:23 (permalink)
Greeny
I don't think you need to worry about cakewalk disappearing anytime soon, they gotta protect themselves somehow no? Beats a dongle imho

I wonder how many people thought that about Camel Audio. It appears the new EULA is more friendly. You can install it on every machine you own as long as you are not using them at the same time.
vladasyn
Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1092
Re: Please Remove the Challende/Response Activation (for users who pay upfront) 2015/01/17 11:11:56 (permalink)
Doesn't it send the activation code as it used to be?

https://soundcloud.com/vlada-astral 
http://vladasyn.wix.com/astral#
I am a female. Windows 8.1
Custom DAW Intel Core I7 3770K, 16 Gb memory, SSD+ 2 x 2 Gb storage. Presonus StudioLive 24.
  Multiple keyboards and modules, software synths.  
johnnyV
Max Output Level: -48.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2677
Re: Please Remove the Challende/Response Activation (for users who pay upfront) 2015/01/17 11:19:45 (permalink)
I try and avoid software that requires some sort of on line activation. I actually like my Steinberg USB elicencer. Once activated it has become the easiest software I own to move around and re install after a OS or OS drive upgrade. Sure it takes up a port, but it doesn't mind being on any port or hub. I can see it being a hassle on a laptop with 4 ports, but still a hub solves that issue. Just share with your wireless mouse etc.  
The old  two number system was my favorite style but it was not the best for them for piracy.

The new system allows them to track how many installs your using. It was said that they would not be worrying about this in general, but if one registration all of a sudden has more than a dozen activation's they would be able to investigate possible piracy or say a studio cheating on user count. 

Sonar X3e Studio - Waiting for Professional
 Scarlett 6i6
Yamaha Gear= 01v - NSM 10 - DTX 400 - MG82cx
Roland Gear= A 49- GR 50 - TR 505 - Boss pedals
Tascam Gear=  DR 40 - US1641 -
Mackie Gear= Mix 8 - SRM 350's 
i5 Z97 3.2GHZ quad 16 Gig RAM W 8.1  home build
Taylor mini GS - G& L Tribute Tele - 72 Fender Princeton - TC BH 250 - Mooer and Outlaw Pedals  Korg 05/RW

rainmaker1011
Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 652
Re: Please Remove the Challende/Response Activation (for users who pay upfront) 2015/01/17 11:26:44 (permalink)
well, as I undertsand it from CW videos, you need to do the challenge/response thing only once. Then you may generate a key (file) and use it to activate Sonar on any number of offline machines. So keep the Sonar installation, keep the key file and you do not need Cakewalk anymore... :))

Best Regards,  
Marek

------------------------
  DAW: Sonar Platinum 64bit PE//C2D@3,0GHz//6GB 800MHz RAM//LCD 24'' Samsung //Focusrite Scarlett 8i6//Windows 10 Professional 64bit//Toontrack SD 2.4 x64//NI Scarbee Vintage Keys//NI Alicia's Keys//112db Redline Reverb//Voxengo plugins//EWQL Composer Cloud
azslow3
Max Output Level: -42.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3297
Re: Please Remove the Challende/Response Activation (for users who pay upfront) 2015/01/17 11:54:10 (permalink)
rainmaker1011
well, as I undertsand it from CW videos, you need to do the challenge/response thing only once. Then you may generate a key (file) and use it to activate Sonar on any number of offline machines. So keep the Sonar installation, keep the key file and you do not need Cakewalk anymore... :))

There is a statement "only in case there is too many activations..." or something like that. That implies challenge/response is per computer.

I can understand why company want that. But only in case it is done well (so average hacker can not crack it within 10 minutes). But that means either second company or significant resources should be involved in such protection. And in most cases, the result is still hacked next day :/

Sonar 8LE -> Platinum infinity, REAPER, Windows 10 pro
GA-EP35-DS3L, E7500, 4GB, GTX 1050 Ti, 2x500GB
RME Babyface Pro (M-Audio Audiophile Firewire/410, VS-20), Kawai CN43, TD-11, Roland A500S, Akai MPK Mini, Keystation Pro, etc.
www.azslow.com - Control Surface Integration Platform for SONAR, ReaCWP, AOSC and other accessibility tools
Kamikaze
Max Output Level: -45 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3013
Re: Please Remove the Challende/Response Activation (for users who pay upfront) 2015/01/17 11:59:09 (permalink)
Dave000
I would hate to buy a wedding dress and just before the big day find the store went out of business and my dress is in the wind ;)  

I'm sure you'll look smashing Dave, whatever you wear!

yevster
Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 761
Re: Please Remove the Challende/Response Activation (for users who pay upfront) 2015/01/17 12:03:56 (permalink)
Dave000

I know that Waves is setup that way, Ik seems the same or moving in that direction.
Actually, Waves is not that way. You can save your license to a USB drive and it will just work on any machine where you have your USB drive plugged in.

IK is that way. The challenge and response are the same for a single machine, but to install on a new machine, you need to activate.

I don't mind C/R for a company whose future appears secure for years, but given Cakewalk's history, I wouldn't trust it with C/R.
Dan Gonzalez [Cakewalk]
Administrator
  • Total Posts : 395
Re: Please Remove the Challende/Response Activation (for users who pay upfront) 2015/01/17 12:45:30 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Buggaluggs 2015/01/17 18:14:13
drjee
Hi,

all in all, I find the new system (choose to subscribe or pay up-front) fair enough. What I really do not like is challenge/response. From what I learnt reading the forum, a machine specific code is created and each install on an new machine must be activated separately. I do not like the idea that I am dependent on Cakewalk to exist to be able to activate my software. Therefore, I would rather accept a dongle. Cakewalk's liberal copy protection system was one of the main reasons why I chose Sonar (and not, for example, Cubase). Now, that seems to have changed. Please, remove the challenge/response for users who pay up-front (just as it used to be).

cheers, drjee

Our challenge/response offline activation has nothing to do with whether or not you've purchased upfront or chose to purchase monthly. SONAR is delivered to you in the same fashion in both ways.

1. If you're computer is connected to the internet then there is no challenge/response activation. You just login to Command Center and then Command Center will download/install the software. Serial numbers and all that is taken care of for you. This applies to SONAR, Dimension Pro, Rapture etc. This works on multiple computers and multiple systems running SONAR. Still pretty liberal, just a smarter- liberal way of doing it :)

Watch this video for activating SONAR:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oG62qz0_q88

2. If your computer is offline then you have to activate with a challenge/response type of mechanism. In this case then yes - but it's painless and doesn't require any large amount of time. You can check this out here:

Offline activation:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=roIgly_GjoI 
Anderton
  • Total Posts : 14070
Re: Please Remove the Challende/Response Activation (for users who pay upfront) 2015/01/17 13:23:17 (permalink)
yevster
I don't mind C/R for a company whose future appears secure for years, but given Cakewalk's history, I wouldn't trust it with C/R.

Well, in addition to what Dan said, Cakewalk is now owned by a multi-billion dollar company and has been doing well since the acquisition, so I wouldn't be too worried.

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
Vastman
Max Output Level: -50 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2508
Re: Please Remove the Challende/Response Activation (for users who pay upfront) 2015/01/17 14:04:45 (permalink)
OP... you're ridiculous!  This was the most painless installation of ANYTHING I can recall... Get a friggin' life!

Btw, I'd mark this solved... too bad we can't mark it: erroneous post resolved...  Headlines like this OP used just infuriate me...

Dana
We make the future... Climate Change Music
VastMaschine:SP4L/W10/i74930K/32GB/RME/CAD E100s; The Orchestra! NOVO!/Inspire/BohemianViolin&Cello, ARK1&2,/MinimalCapriccioMaximoSoto/OE1&2, Action&Emotive/Omni2/Tril/RMX/All OrangeTree/Falcon/APE Jugs/Alpha&Bravo/BFD3 & SD3
Gravity/DM307/AEON/DM/Damage/Diva/HZebra/Hive/Diversion/VC4/Serum/Alchemy/blablabla
Spitfire/8DIO/SL/KH/EW/NI; Shred1&2/AGF,G,M&T Torch&Res&Ren/GD-6; Ibanez SR1200&SR505
NOVAX FanFret Tele&Strat 
tlw
Max Output Level: -49.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2567
Re: Please Remove the Challende/Response Activation (for users who pay upfront) 2015/01/17 14:27:11 (permalink)
I'll admit that I much prefer the pre-2015 installation process because I can keep copies of the installers, serial and registration codes locally and reinstal on any PC capable of running Sonar even if Cakewalk the company no longer exists. I also have severe doubts whether Calkewalk could, as a final act of the company, remove all copy protection and make the installers a free download as Cakewalk staff have indicated on this forum. It would depend on the circumstances.

I don't know about the US, but in the UK if Cakewalk/their owners went bankrupt the software code and the possibility of charging for support would be regarded as a highly valuable financial asset by the reciever in bankruptcy. The reciever would be running the residual company, seeking to maximise its value so that the maximum possible can be paid to creditors, either by realising assets or selling the company. The owner (or staff) simply giving away a potentially valuable asset would not be allowed, and if the asset were given away at the point the company was clearly bankrupt but had not yet sought the protection of bankruptcy the owner/staff might find themselves in a great deal of trouble.

Having said that, the only alternative to Sonar I can readily see myself using is Logic Pro, and exactly the same situation arises with Logic as well. So I've just bought Sonar Platinum anyway.

I guess the safest answer is to not only back up projects and audio data but to also export all MIDI stems so that the project can be recreated, as far as possible, in other software if required.

Sonar Platinum 64bit, Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit, I7 3770K Ivybridge, 16GB Ram, Gigabyte Z77-D3H m/board,
ATI 7750 graphics+ 1GB RAM, 2xIntel 520 series 220GB SSDs, 1 TB Samsung F3 + 1 TB WD HDDs, Seasonic fanless 460W psu, RME Fireface UFX, Focusrite Octopre.
Assorted real synths, guitars, mandolins, diatonic accordions, percussion, fx and other stuff.
drjee
Re: Please Remove the Challende/Response Activation (for users who pay upfront) 2015/01/17 14:55:18 (permalink)
Dan Gonzalez [Cakewalk]

Our challenge/response offline activation has nothing to do with whether or not you've purchased upfront or chose to purchase monthly. SONAR is delivered to you in the same fashion in both ways.

1. If you're computer is connected to the internet then there is no challenge/response activation. You just login to Command Center and then Command Center will download/install the software. Serial numbers and all that is taken care of for you. This applies to SONAR, Dimension Pro, Rapture etc. This works on multiple computers and multiple systems running SONAR. Still pretty liberal, just a smarter- liberal way of doing it :)

Watch this video for activating SONAR:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oG62qz0_q88

2. If your computer is offline then you have to activate with a challenge/response type of mechanism. In this case then yes - but it's painless and doesn't require any large amount of time. You can check this out here:

Offline activation:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=roIgly_GjoI 

I did not say there is a difference, I said it should work the old way (receive a gereal activation code that can be used on any computer) for up-front buyers.
Both cases you describe require the Cakewalk servers to be operating in the future (and to perform the required task). I do not want to depend on that.
John T
Max Output Level: -7.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 6783
Re: Please Remove the Challende/Response Activation (for users who pay upfront) 2015/01/17 14:59:56 (permalink)
yevster

I don't have a view on the wider point, but this jumped out at me as an odd statement. Cakewalk has been in business continuously for 28 years, and if you take Cakewalk / Cakewalk Pro Audio / Sonar / Sonar X as a single product line, has been making a living off it's flagship product continually from day one. One can never predict the future, but it wouldn't pain me too much to bet a fiver on it being around for a good while longer.

http://johntatlockaudio.com/
Self-build PC // 16GB RAM // i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz // Nofan 0dB cooler // ASUS P8-Z77 V Pro motherboard // Intel x-25m SSD System Drive // Seagate RAID Array Audio Drive // Windows 10 64 bit // Sonar Platinum (64 bit) // Sonar VS-700 // M-Audio Keystation Pro 88 // KRK RP-6 Monitors // and a bunch of other stuff
John T
Re: Please Remove the Challende/Response Activation (for users who pay upfront) 2015/01/17 15:00:35 (permalink)
Aside from that, it's not clear to me what's changed; as far as I can work out, it's the same as it's always been. Maybe I missed a detail somewhere.

Self-build PC // 16GB RAM // i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz // Nofan 0dB cooler // ASUS P8-Z77 V Pro motherboard // Intel x-25m SSD System Drive // Seagate RAID Array Audio Drive // Windows 10 64 bit // Sonar Platinum (64 bit) // Sonar VS-700 // M-Audio Keystation Pro 88 // KRK RP-6 Monitors // and a bunch of other stuff
drjee
Re: Please Remove the Challende/Response Activation (for users who pay upfront) 2015/01/17 15:00:42 (permalink)
Anderton
yevster

Well, in addition to what Dan said, Cakewalk is now owned by a multi-billion dollar company and has been doing well since the acquisition, so I wouldn't be too worried.

Isn't Roland a multi-billion dollar company. And did't they sell the software to Gibson which now introduced challemnge/Response? Who tells me that Gibson does not change its mind and resell Cakewalk? And who knows what the new owner is going to do? It might not be very likely that I won't be able to activate in future but it is in no way sure.
drjee
Re: Please Remove the Challende/Response Activation (for users who pay upfront) 2015/01/17 15:03:26 (permalink)
John T
Aside from that, it's not clear to me what's changed; as far as I can work out, it's the same as it's always been. Maybe I missed a detail somewhere.

yes, you missed a detail somewhere. Just read the post by Dan Gonzalez ...
John T
Re: Please Remove the Challende/Response Activation (for users who pay upfront) 2015/01/17 15:37:08 (permalink)
That's a link to his profile, do you have a link to the post?

John T
Re: Please Remove the Challende/Response Activation (for users who pay upfront) 2015/01/17 15:42:01 (permalink)
Ah, no problem, found it.

Hmm. Can't say I'm perturbed about this, myself.

bapu
  • Total Posts : 86000
Re: Please Remove the Challende/Response Activation (for users who pay upfront) 2015/01/17 15:47:22 (permalink)
Offline request gives you an activation file.

Simple.

Yes maybe in (highly) unlikely event that CW goes offline forever you may never be able to install on another computer. Something tells me that at that (unlikely) time CW will probably deliver an install-on-any-computer activation file for all of its customers.

I simply cannot worry about all the what if scenarios. 
cityrat
  • Total Posts : 671
Re: Please Remove the Challende/Response Activation (for users who pay upfront) 2015/01/17 16:41:46 (permalink)
Can anyone tell me how sensitive offline activation is?  If I add a hard-drive, or card, or have to reinstall Windows and Sonar, etc does it need a new CR activation can it use the already generated one?

Some CR are so sensitive you hardly BREATH on it an you have to get a new activation, others are tied to the MB, others tied to Windows, etc.

Sonar Platinum | Windows 7 64 bit SP1 | Intel i5 3570 3.4GHz | 8GB RAM | Gigabyte GA-B75-D3H | OCZ SSD | RME 9632
vintagevibe
Max Output Level: -51 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2446
Re: Please Remove the Challende/Response Activation (for users who pay upfront) 2015/01/17 16:52:38 (permalink)
I actually use Cubase now so I won't be upgrading. I must point out, however, that the new install method seems similar to the XLN audio method which, IMO, is the easiest and best solution in the industry for the company and consumer.
cityrat
  • Total Posts : 671
Re: Please Remove the Challende/Response Activation (for users who pay upfront) 2015/01/17 17:02:31 (permalink)
It's more similar to NI than XLN.  XLN only allows 2 installations, and does it allow offline activation?

Sonar Platinum | Windows 7 64 bit SP1 | Intel i5 3570 3.4GHz | 8GB RAM | Gigabyte GA-B75-D3H | OCZ SSD | RME 9632
azslow3
Re: Please Remove the Challende/Response Activation (for users who pay upfront) 2015/01/17 17:05:30 (permalink)
John T
yevster

I don't have a view on the wider point, but this jumped out at me as an odd statement. Cakewalk has been in business continuously for 28 years...

It can be not disappearing Cakewalk forever, but something like locking your account unlucky weekend night (in US), when you have just lost your motherboard and was forced to reinstall/reactivate SONAR...

Not exactly that situation, but I know the feeling (was unable to see SN for a while...).

In case it is really secure, that is ok (theoretically it can save potential money for CW). But in case we see "SONAR Platinum" on torrent next week, that was just westing of resources and complicating user's life. The time will show

RME Babyface Pro (M-Audio Audiophile Firewire/410, VS-20), Kawai CN43, TD-11, Roland A500S, Akai MPK Mini, Keystation Pro, etc.
www.azslow.com - Control Surface Integration Platform for SONAR, ReaCWP, AOSC and other accessibility tools
vintagevibe
Re: Please Remove the Challende/Response Activation (for users who pay upfront) 2015/01/17 17:10:29 (permalink)
cityrat
It's more similar to NI than XLN.  XLN only allows 2 installations, and does it allow offline activation?

You can still download files and install them with NI. With Sonar and XLN their apps take care of the entire process.
azslow3
Re: Please Remove the Challende/Response Activation (for users who pay upfront) 2015/01/17 17:10:57 (permalink)
vintagevibe
... XLN audio method which, IMO, is the easiest and best solution in the industry for the company and consumer.

... when company trust own users no more than someone sitting in the next prison.

vintagevibe
Re: Please Remove the Challende/Response Activation (for users who pay upfront) 2015/01/17 17:14:24 (permalink)
azslow3
vintagevibe
... XLN audio method which, IMO, is the easiest and best solution in the industry for the company and consumer.

... when company trust own users no more than someone sitting in the next prison.

Trust has nothing to do with that opinion. For me it's just by far the easiest method I've ever used.
Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1