Helpful ReplyPlease check out my first self-produced "record": The Docks of Wilmington

Author
donplee
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 84
2017/09/02 04:51:09 (permalink)

Please check out my first self-produced "record": The Docks of Wilmington

Hello Song Forum, please allow me to introduce myself. I am Dono Lee, a long time Sonar user from North Texas by way of North Carolina and Kansas. I have enjoyed this forum for many, many years. I have just released my first self-produced "solo" record called "The Docks of Wilmington". The process of this project was my audio engineering "education". This has been a very rewarding and frustrating experience and I'm glad to be done so I can move on with new material!

I am very much looking forward to any and all constructive criticism and advice. I *think* my mixes got "better" as the record progressed, but I am still way too close to the project to trust my judgement. I did use Ozone 7 for "mastering", but it was my first go at that as well. I welcome feedback from any who chooses to listen. 

I have just posted the album to SoundCloud here: https://soundcloud.com/dono-lee-33/sets/the-docks-of-wilmington-1?utm_source=soundcloud&utm_campaign=share&utm_medium=facebook

I look forward to being an active participant on this forum!
post edited by donplee - 2017/09/03 16:12:48

Dono in Baja Oklahoma (AKA Frisco, TX.)

Another satisfied Studio Cat customer
Quad Core 3.9/16GB
Win 10 64bit 
(3) Drives
Focusrite ISA One Pre
Warm Audio WA-76
Warm Audio EQP-WA
Focusrite Saffire Pro 40
Sonar Platinum (1.17)
BFD3
Guitar Rig 5
THD 3
Garritan Personal Orchestra

Please listen to my debut "solo" album, "The Docks of Wilmington" here: https://soundcloud.com/do...mp;utm_medium=facebook
craigb
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 41704
Re: The Docks of Wilmington 2017/09/02 15:35:49 (permalink)
Wow, I really can't give you any constructive criticism except keep it up!

I thoroughly enjoyed the whole album.  Catchy songs that don't all sound the same with intelligent lyrics, strong recording levels and proper separation between everything.  Any nits I might find would be very picky!  Great job.

Get that album out there! 

Time for all of you to head over to Beyond My DAW!
donplee
Re: The Docks of Wilmington 2017/09/02 17:19:53 (permalink)
Thanks craigb! That is wonderful feedback. I swear I must've mixed these songs a thousand times, seemingly daily, as I read more books, watched more videos, and listened to other folks work. 

Thanks again!

Quad Core 3.9/16GB
Win 10 64bit 
(3) Drives
Focusrite ISA One Pre
Warm Audio WA-76
Warm Audio EQP-WA
Focusrite Saffire Pro 40
Sonar Platinum (1.17)
BFD3
Guitar Rig 5
THD 3

Please listen to my debut "solo" album, "The Docks of Wilmington" here: https://soundcloud.com/do...mp;utm_medium=facebook
AndyB01
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 200
Re: The Docks of Wilmington 2017/09/02 18:14:30 (permalink)
I had a spin through all the tracks and overall I liked what I heard.

Nice guitar work, vocal harmonies and the lyrics tell a story. Personally I wasn't a fan of the drum sound, just sounded a little flat and muddy to me but that might be my speakers or my ears. These things are always a matter of personal taste and I certainly wouldn't go changing them on the strength of my opinion.

Quite a body of work though, you should feel proud. Thanks for sharing, Andy.

Sonar Platinum, Win10 Pro 64-bit, 16Gb RAM, Six-core AMD, Twin SSD. Instruments: Roland A88 and Taylor 314CE all through a Focusrite Scarlett 2i4. More ambition than talent.

donplee
Re: The Docks of Wilmington 2017/09/02 20:41:22 (permalink)
Thanks for your comments AndyB01. Drums are programmed via BFD3 and I wish I had a better option :-) I have been working with some loops recently that are interesting and sound great. I'm looking forward to seeing what that brings.

Thanks again! 

Quad Core 3.9/16GB
Win 10 64bit 
(3) Drives
Focusrite ISA One Pre
Warm Audio WA-76
Warm Audio EQP-WA
Focusrite Saffire Pro 40
Sonar Platinum (1.17)
BFD3
Guitar Rig 5
THD 3

craigb
Re: The Docks of Wilmington 2017/09/02 23:56:08 (permalink)
Yeah, my disclaimer: Heard thru my TV's speakers!

Real drummers can ALWAYS tell when a machine is used - lol!  So, one option is to simply take the drum track and ask a real drummer if they could record it for you.  It may cost you a few twinkies and cheap beer, but it's worth it!  (Just don't tell them where you live!!!  )

I wonder if Hal Blaine has some free time...  Hehe...

donplee
Re: Please check out my first self-produced "record": The Docks of Wilmington 2017/09/03 16:21:08 (permalink)
craigb, I take it as a good thing that you made your kind comments re: the mix after listening on your TV speakers! 

Thanks again!

Quad Core 3.9/16GB
Win 10 64bit 
(3) Drives
Focusrite ISA One Pre
Warm Audio WA-76
Warm Audio EQP-WA
Focusrite Saffire Pro 40
Sonar Platinum (1.17)
BFD3
Guitar Rig 5
THD 3

donplee
Re: Please check out my first self-produced "record": The Docks of Wilmington 2017/09/05 16:40:15 (permalink)
Holiday weekend bump! I am seeking mix critiques for my just-completed, self-produced "record". Would it be best to ask for critique one song at a time?

This is my first shot at the "complete" process - writing/recording/mixing/quasi-mastering. I appreciate all constructive criticism! 

Quad Core 3.9/16GB
Win 10 64bit 
(3) Drives
Focusrite ISA One Pre
Warm Audio WA-76
Warm Audio EQP-WA
Focusrite Saffire Pro 40
Sonar Platinum (1.17)
BFD3
Guitar Rig 5
THD 3

craigb
Re: Please check out my first self-produced "record": The Docks of Wilmington 2017/09/08 15:56:06 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby donplee 2017/09/08 22:13:30
Not sure why you're not getting more reviews!

(Pseudo-bump!)

jamesg1213
  • Total Posts : 21760
Re: Please check out my first self-produced "record": The Docks of Wilmington 2017/09/08 17:04:17 (permalink)
I only listened to the opening track, which was well chosen for that position on the album. Well written and performed, quite Springsteen/E-Street Band-esque. Not really my cuppa tea but I can appreciate the work that's gone into this. The drums do sound a little boxy, but not enough to spoil the song.

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer
donplee
Re: Please check out my first self-produced "record": The Docks of Wilmington 2017/09/08 22:13:17 (permalink)
jamesg1213
I only listened to the opening track, which was well chosen for that position on the album. Well written and performed, quite Springsteen/E-Street Band-esque. Not really my cuppa tea but I can appreciate the work that's gone into this. The drums do sound a little boxy, but not enough to spoil the song.

Thanks for your comments, James 1213! Yeah, I hear you on the Boss/ESB reference, but I must say I was much more of a Meatloaf fan! LOL. Interesting article mentioning the similarities, for anyone interested in aging, useless rock trivia :-)

http://www.jimsteinman.com/00classicr2.htm

Thanks again!

Quad Core 3.9/16GB
Win 10 64bit 
(3) Drives
Focusrite ISA One Pre
Warm Audio WA-76
Warm Audio EQP-WA
Focusrite Saffire Pro 40
Sonar Platinum (1.17)
BFD3
Guitar Rig 5
THD 3

eph221
Max Output Level: -28.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4665
Re: Please check out my first self-produced "record": The Docks of Wilmington 2017/09/08 23:44:12 (permalink)
If meatloaf and Springsteen had a baby.....I really like your style and the production has some serious merit! Good luck!

*Q-TIPS ARE FUZZY!!*
 Is a lumineer a new dental appliance?  

i7 2.5 ghz
32GB RAM
WINDOWS 10
My Ass
Cubase 9.5

emeraldsoul
Max Output Level: -56.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1858
Re: Please check out my first self-produced "record": The Docks of Wilmington 2017/09/09 03:40:33 (permalink)
Hey Dono, thanks for posting your tunes, sounds pretty bueno. I checked out the first and fourth. Generally I'd say it's better to feed them out one at a time, as opposed to here's a whole album. You'll get more specific, focused responses that way.

I liked the Docks drive, and it had a touch of that Dire Straits vibe in the intro. And in the vocal part as well. Kind of "Love Over Gold" territory, very very nice dynamics.

Your mixing seems up to snuff, nice separation of instruments, bgv's are cool.

I liked the very strong doubled guitars in spots, and maybe for the lead vocal, I'd think about doubling that as well, just for a little thickness. The bgv's are killer and the drums (or drum programming) is very live-like.

If this is a "completed album" then you likely are past the point of utilizing any specific critiques?

cool job amigo.
-Tom

A work in regress:
www.studiusinterruptus.com

Cornbread - video   audio
A Very, Very Troubled Soul - video   
Kilometers Davis - video   audio
Mayans (Face in the Crowd) - video  audio
The Sweet Slow Fade - video
donplee
Re: Please check out my first self-produced "record": The Docks of Wilmington 2017/09/09 15:39:13 (permalink)
emeraldsoul
Hey Dono, thanks for posting your tunes, sounds pretty bueno. I checked out the first and fourth. Generally I'd say it's better to feed them out one at a time, as opposed to here's a whole album. You'll get more specific, focused responses that way.

I liked the Docks drive, and it had a touch of that Dire Straits vibe in the intro. And in the vocal part as well. Kind of "Love Over Gold" territory, very very nice dynamics.

Your mixing seems up to snuff, nice separation of instruments, bgv's are cool.

I liked the very strong doubled guitars in spots, and maybe for the lead vocal, I'd think about doubling that as well, just for a little thickness. The bgv's are killer and the drums (or drum programming) is very live-like.

If this is a "completed album" then you likely are past the point of utilizing any specific critiques?

cool job amigo.
-Tom

Thank you for your comments, Tom. I really appreciate you taking the time to listen.

In retrospect I agree I should have posted one at a time vs. the whole album thing. I'll chalk it up to a rookie mistake. Since I am "self-producing" this record (yes, I prefer the term "record" :-) I could go back and edit most any track, mix, etc. Eventually this particular set of tunes will be split and "re-released" as part of two records. The first four songs on this particular release will join six other tunes-in-progress written about my grandfather, who led a very interesting life in southeastern North Carolina, specifically Wilmington. I grew up there also.  

I also appreciate your comment re: the drums. I would hands down MUCH PREFER a human being to work with, but that just isn't in the cards right now. That being said, I actually enjoy the challenge of programming BFD3. I did recently get some loops from Groove Monkey that I really like, and I'm working on a couple of new tunes with those. But it always seems I can't find THAT ONE four-measure loop that fits perfectly right where I want it. To me it seems one is either knee deep in midi or carving up loops and using single shots, which is its own form of "programming". I need to look further into Loop Construction. But I digress...

Thanks, again. I am looking forward to being an active participant on this forum! 

Quad Core 3.9/16GB
Win 10 64bit 
(3) Drives
Focusrite ISA One Pre
Warm Audio WA-76
Warm Audio EQP-WA
Focusrite Saffire Pro 40
Sonar Platinum (1.17)
BFD3
Guitar Rig 5
THD 3

Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1