Please critique "The Dream"

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
mlockett
Max Output Level: -54.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2099
RE: Please critique "The Dream" 2005/08/17 17:50:54 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: metaprog
Wow, Mike, you have just described me to a T. Only, I can tell from your recording that my problem is a much greater affliction than yours - you don't seem to have any problem with timing!

Tim
I think I just need to learn to pay attention and listen to what's happening with the drums in others songs. I'm still hoping that people with our condition can be cured. :-)

Oh, and my timing is good because I clicked the notes on the red lines in the piano roll. :-)

Troy
It took me a little bit, but I can sort of here the Cars in the verse with the stuttery vocal timing; I can't even picture the Cars guitar sound; I mostly remember synth patterns.

Fork out the big bucks for the pro plugs...? I don't know how to use what I've got; you have the UAD Pack right? If I got that, would it make me a pro? :-)
reallifer
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 236
RE: Please critique "The Dream" 2005/08/17 18:00:09 (permalink)
Hi Mike,
Well, it doesn't make me sound like a pro, just a little better but you on the other hand. It's a good song, I just wish we all had access to a pro to mix for us or train us. Wouldn't that be great! Not saying you can't mix well....you know what I mean. Your mix sounds good...now your ready for the pro mix.
Troy

p.s. your the second person to comment on the dissonance on the piano tune. I will have to get rid of it. Thanks for listening.
ed_mcg
Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2741
RE: Please critique "The Dream" 2005/08/17 18:54:24 (permalink)
Mike, This is an ambitious project. The vocal harmonies and processing are a nice touch. I liked to hear the mix sound bigger. I scanned through the comments, and I think Rod (nprime) and Michael covered the mix and drum issues the best.

It's cool to put together a composition like this, interesting work.
mlockett
Max Output Level: -54.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2099
RE: Please critique "The Dream" 2005/08/17 19:01:30 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: ed_mcg

Mike, This is an ambitious project. The vocal harmonies and processing are a nice touch. I liked to hear the mix sound bigger. I scanned through the comments, and I think Rod (nprime) and Michael covered the mix and drum issues the best.

It's cool to put together a composition like this, interesting work.

Thanks for the comments Ed. Yes, most of my stuff is "ambitious" I'd rather fall short of a high goal, than reach (or fall short) of a low goal. I guess that's a benefit of not having to make music for a means of livelihood. :-)

When you say "bigger," do you mean more of the spectrum? ... wider? ...louder? ... more dynamic? What makes the mix "bigger"?

Thanks.
ed_mcg
Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2741
RE: Please critique "The Dream" 2005/08/17 19:14:29 (permalink)
bigger
Yeah, that's evasive.

So, the vocal effect has a nice spead, as does the bass break (1:00) and the break at 1:26.

The sections of interest are the rockin' parts - the bass could use some compression to beaf it up. The guitars could be doubled with a little more crunch and wider panned. The vox could also be pushed a little more (not louder, just roughed up with a vintage compressor) and have some short delays to give it more presence. And the drums, the kit could be spread a little, say the toms and the hat, and definitely pushed with a compressor; but are real drum would make are remarkable difference. Things like that. hth.
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1