Please help.

Author
kson
Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 540
2017/09/19 13:03:02 (permalink)

Please help.

I'm in the mastering phase of this tune.  Please tell me if the master needs "warming" - is there too much high end?  Also, please tell me what you listen on.  

Thank you.

https://soundcloud.com/re..ldkson/movin-on/s-2fIZw

14 Replies Related Threads

dcumpian
    Max Output Level: -34 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4124
    Re: Please help. 2017/09/19 13:22:53 (permalink)
    Honestly, this sounds pretty good just the way it is. I might bump the bass a tad in the mix before taking it to the next step, but I wouldn't otherwise change the EQ balance unless you are trying to blend it into other tracks for an album.

Listening on DUNU-1000 IEM, which I use to test my own mixes.

Regards,
    Dan

post edited by dcumpian - 2017/09/19 15:40:46

Mixing is all about control.

My music:
    http://dancumpian.bandcamp.com/ or https://soundcloud.com/dcumpian Studiocat Advanced Studio DAW (Intel i5 3550 @ 3.7GHz, Z77 motherboard, 16GB Ram, lots of HDDs), Sonar Plat, Mackie 1604, PreSonus Audiobox 44VSL, ESI 4x4 Midi Interface, Ibanez Bass, Custom Fender Mexi-Strat, NI S88, Roland JV-2080 & MDB-1, Komplete, Omnisphere, Lots o' plugins.    
    Wookiee
    Rrrrugh arah-ah-woof?
    • Total Posts : 13306
    Re: Please help. 2017/09/19 14:50:29 (permalink)
    As general rule it is the mix that is more important, if the mix is not right then no amount of mastering will fix a poor or bad mix.  Then if you feel the need you master for context, MP3, Standalone wave, collection, vinyl.

The mix sounds reasonable here.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.
    Karma has a way of finding its own way home.
    Primary, i7 8700K 16Gigs Ram, 3x500gb SSD's 2TB Backup HHD Saffire Pro 40. Win 10 64Bit
    Secondary  i7 4790K, 32GB Ram, 500Gb SSD OS/Prog's, 1TB Audio, 1TB Samples HHD AudioBox USB, Win 10 64Bit
    CbB, Adam's A7x's - Event 20/20's, Arturia V6, Korg Digital Legacy, Softube Modular, Arturia Keylab-88, USB-MidiSport 8x8 
    kson
    Re: Please help. 2017/09/20 01:40:38 (permalink)
    dcumpian
    Honestly, this sounds pretty good just the way it is. I might bump the bass a tad in the mix before taking it to the next step, but I wouldn't otherwise change the EQ balance unless you are trying to blend it into other tracks for an album.

Listening on DUNU-1000 IEM, which I use to test my own mixes.

Regards,
    Dan

Dan,

Thanks for the feedback.  i appreciate you listening.
    kson
    Re: Please help. 2017/09/20 01:41:30 (permalink)
    Wookiee
    As general rule it is the mix that is more important, if the mix is not right then no amount of mastering will fix a poor or bad mix.  Then if you feel the need you master for context, MP3, Standalone wave, collection, vinyl.

The mix sounds reasonable here.

Thanks Wookiee.  :-)
    Wayfarer
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 831
    Re: Please help. 2017/09/20 02:42:53 (permalink)
    You MIGHT bring up the mids on the vocal just a bit, but everything sounds fantastic already.

Terrific song. Did you write that? You need to be out playing live if you aren't. I guarantee there's an audience for that right there.

Ancient American Acoustics: 12" 2-way. Old Crown power amp. Also, a much smaller set of powered KRKs. Sounds great on both.
    kson
    Re: Please help. 2017/09/20 03:31:33 (permalink)
    Wayfarer
    You MIGHT bring up the mids on the vocal just a bit, but everything sounds fantastic already.

Terrific song. Did you write that? You need to be out playing live if you aren't. I guarantee there's an audience for that right there.

Ancient American Acoustics: 12" 2-way. Old Crown power amp. Also, a much smaller set of powered KRKs. Sounds great on both.

Thanks for listening man.  I did alter it a bit this evening.  

I appreciate the compliment.

And yes, it's an original. :-)
    eph221
    Max Output Level: -28.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4665
    Re: Please help. 2017/09/20 05:08:54 (permalink)
    I really liked when you started mentioning places by name (amsterdam, montego bay).  Honestly the song could use more of that.  That was the magic of alot of jimmy buffet songs and beach boy songs...It immediately brings the pictures that songs need to have...the movies in our heads.  People aren't interested  much in our experiences unless they share the same things.  (a dumb example might be amsterdam/roxanne (personal experience) with amsterdam/I hope I don't meet the man (shared experience)).This is where I'd spend my energy, on the lyrics. :D:D

Secondly, the claps need a little more *humanizing*.  The song is sort of grass roots sounding, so if it's a real audience clapping along, it's not going to be that perfect.  After awhile it just sounded like a drum machine.

As far as the mix goes, its sounded fantastic on my tannoy 501's.  Great separation, and crispy harmonics.  The sound of the acoustic guitar was really good.  :D:D

BTW forgive me if *roxanne* is supposed to be Sting's prostitute, I didn't know she was from Amsterdam.

*Q-TIPS ARE FUZZY!!*
     Is a lumineer a new dental appliance?  

i7 2.5 ghz
    32GB RAM
    WINDOWS 10
    My Ass
    Cubase 9.5

kson
    Re: Please help. 2017/09/20 05:28:38 (permalink)
    eph221
    I really liked when you started mentioning places by name (amsterdam, montego bay).  Honestly the song could use more of that.  That was the magic of alot of jimmy buffet songs and beach boy songs...It immediately brings the pictures that songs need to have...the movies in our heads.  People aren't interested  much in our experiences unless they share the same things.  (a dumb example might be amsterdam/roxanne (personal experience) with amsterdam/I hope I don't meet the man (shared experience)).This is where I'd spend my energy, on the lyrics. :D:D

Secondly, the claps need a little more *humanizing*.  The song is sort of grass roots sounding, so if it's a real audience clapping along, it's not going to be that perfect.  After awhile it just sounded like a drum machine.

As far as the mix goes, its sounded fantastic on my tannoy 501's.  Great separation, and crispy harmonics.  The sound of the acoustic guitar was really good.  :D:D

BTW forgive me if *roxanne* is supposed to be Sting's prostitute, I didn't know she was from Amsterdam.

Lol.  It's funny that you made that reference to Sting/Roxanne.  That's where the inspiration came from - "you don't have to turn on the red light".  The most famous Red Light District is in Amsterdam.  As I was mentioning Amsterdam in the song, I thought I'd go that route.  I didn't think anyone would draw that conclusion.  Well done!  :-)

I appreciate your thoughts on the tune.  There are plenty of locations mentioned in that song as it is about getting away from the mundane.  

As info, I did a bit of a touch up on the arrangement earlier this evening and I'm pleased with the outcome.  It doesn't stray far from where it is now, I just basically cleared up some clashing frequencies.

I'm glad it sounds great on your system.

Thanks for listening.
    Wayfarer
    Re: Please help. 2017/09/20 19:55:42 (permalink)
    Just an idea, but upon listening again just now, it dawned on me that a shaker or cabasa played good and hard, starting when the chorus comes in at about 2:25 and continued through to the end, would really push this song over the top. I think I hear a little intermittent cabasa already played very low in the mix. I think it would be great if you really shook the thing like a train. Chuga-chuga chuga-chuga, chuga-chuga chuga-chuga. Just a thought. It's already a great song though and you're a great singer. Those vocals kill.
    kson
    Re: Please help. 2017/09/20 21:46:16 (permalink)
    Wayfarer
    Just an idea, but upon listening again just now, it dawned on me that a shaker or cabasa played good and hard, starting when the chorus comes in at about 2:25 and continued through to the end, would really push this song over the top. I think I hear a little intermittent cabasa already played very low in the mix. I think it would be great if you really shook the thing like a train. Chuga-chuga chuga-chuga, chuga-chuga chuga-chuga. Just a thought. It's already a great song though and you're a great singer. Those vocals kill.

Thanks again man.  You're making my day.  :-)

Here's a link to the final:

https://soundcloud.com/reginaldkson/movin-on-mst2/s-hETXW

I cleaned up the bass frequencies a bit and made a slight change to the intro.  
    Wayfarer
    Re: Please help. 2017/09/21 02:20:42 (permalink)
    Good job! Sounds very good.
    kson
    Re: Please help. 2017/09/21 18:09:03 (permalink)
    Wayfarer
    Good job! Sounds very good.

Thanks for loaning me your ears.  Much appreciated.
    Beagle
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 50621
    Re: Please help. 2017/09/22 19:42:26 (permalink)
    Reginald - this is really great!  love it all!  vox are awesome!  

my only crit would be to back off of the master limiter a tad and let it breathe just a little more.

really great performances and great mix!  

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    kson
    Re: Please help. 2017/09/22 20:20:09 (permalink)
    Beagle
    Reginald - this is really great!  love it all!  vox are awesome!  

my only crit would be to back off of the master limiter a tad and let it breathe just a little more.

really great performances and great mix!  

Thanks Beagle.  Funny you should mention that.  I didn't brick wall it.  It hits a bit above 0 on the K-14 meter.  Did you listen to the final that I gave to Wayfarer?  It's down the thread some.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1