Author
jseragu
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3
2017/03/19 16:52:58 (permalink)

Please help with instaling vst's

Hi,
I'd appreciate your help with this,

I have SONAR x3 producer now, but previously I was using and older (very older) version (Sonar LE 4.0.1), with which I recordered some songs that I wouldn't like to loose. The problem is that this old version had some plugins which where stored in "shared plugins" folder, such as dinamics processor, parametric eq, and so on, which have .Ax extensions, and now, SONAR x3 is not able to recognize them with its "plugins manager" feature. So, when I open this old compositions in SONAR x3, this effects are missing.

On the other hand, I tried then installing the old Sonar LE 4.0.1 in my new computer with windows 10 (where I have installed SONAR x3), in order to work with those old compositions and plugins. Now, Sonar LE does recognize this .ax plugins (stored in "shared plugins" folder of Sonar LE) (using Cakewalk VST adapter 4 with came with Sonar LE), but, I don´t know why, it's not recognizing my other vst plugins stored in "vstplugins" folder, which worked perfectly when I had Sonar LE installed in my old Win xp computer, and, actually, they are automatically well recogniced by newer Sonar x3. These vst pluggins appear as "enabled" when I run VST adapter, but, as I said, now the old Sonar LE doesn´t show them in the "Audio effects" tab, and when I open my old compositions in Sonar LE, all these vst pluggins as missing.

So I have the problem in 2 ways ;)

I don`t understand anything.. I wish somebody could help me

Thank you very much in advance

5 Replies Related Threads

scook
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 24146
    Re: Please help with instaling vst's 2017/03/19 17:02:30 (permalink)
    Is it possible the old LE was 32bit and you are using a 64bit version of X3? If so, the old plug-ins will not work. They only work in 32bit hosts. Install the 32bit version of X3 and the plug-ins may be installed with it. It is possible to have both 32 and 64 bit versions of X3 installed on the same machine.

Plug-ins with .ax extension are not VST format so the VST adapter used in the old SONAR and the new vstscanner do not matter.
    jseragu
    Re: Please help with instaling vst's 2017/03/19 18:22:35 (permalink)
    Thanx for the answer; yes, I have installed the 64 bit version of X3 and the old sonar is 32 bit. Nevertheless, the x3 DOES recognize all my old vst plugins (which are for 32 bit), EXCEPT this .Ax plugins. I'll try installing the 32 bit version of X3, and see if its new vst scanner recognizes the .ax ones.

But, before installing more things in the pc, I would like to try using the old sonar, as I used to do, with my old plugins. The fact is that I still don't understand why the old Sonar (32 bit) installed in my windows 10 (64 bit) (in compatibility mode) doesn´t recognize the old vst's (.dll) (designed for 32 bit) which worked perfectly when I had the old sonar installed in my win xp pc. I mean, at this moment the VST adapter of the old sonar reads them, and show them as "enable", but they don't appear in the "audio effects" tab of the old sonar. 

I don't know if I'm explaining well, this is a little mess ;)

At least, I would like to be able to use the old sonar in my new computer, with its .Ax plugins and the vts (.dll) ones, in order not to lose my old compositions, but, as I said, I don´t know why, now, the vst (.dll) ones don´t work. Any idea??

I think I miss the old aspect of the program; I was used to it. 
    I will use the nex Sonar x3 for new compositions. 

Thank you very much

scook
    Forum Host
    Re: Please help with instaling vst's 2017/03/19 18:44:15 (permalink)
    jseragu
    Thanx for the answer; yes, I have installed the 64 bit version of X3 and the old sonar is 32 bit. Nevertheless, the x3 DOES recognize all my old vst plugins (which are for 32 bit), EXCEPT this .Ax plugins. I'll try installing the 32 bit version of X3, and see if its new vst scanner recognizes the .ax ones.

64bit X3 loads 32bit VST plug-ins using BitBridge. This allows SONAR to communicate with 32bit VST plug-ins. There is no similar technology for other 32bit plug-in formats. The old plug-ins with a .ax extension are not VST plug-ins.

jseragu
    But, before installing more things in the pc, I would like to try using the old sonar, as I used to do, with my old plugins. The fact is that I still don't understand why the old Sonar (32 bit) installed in my windows 10 (64 bit) (in compatibility mode) doesn´t recognize the old vst's (.dll) (designed for 32 bit) which worked perfectly when I had the old sonar installed in my win xp pc. I mean, at this moment the VST adapter of the old sonar reads them, and show them as "enable", but they don't appear in the "audio effects" tab of the old sonar. 

I cannot help with this. I have no experience running old VST adapter on anything other than XP and that was quite a few years ago.

jseragu
    At least, I would like to be able to use the old sonar in my new computer, with its .Ax plugins and the vts (.dll) ones, in order not to lose my old compositions, but, as I said, I don´t know why, now, the vst (.dll) ones don´t work. Any idea??

I think I miss the old aspect of the program; I was used to it. 
    I will use the nex Sonar x3 for new compositions. 

The 32bit version of X3 should work fine for the old stuff. I have no experience with Sonar LE 4.0.1. For that matter, I have not installed a 32bit version in some time. It is common practice to install both 32bit and 64bit versions of SONAR to aid in transitioning to 64bit.

jseragu
    Re: Please help with instaling vst's 2017/03/19 18:56:43 (permalink)
    Hey, than you very much for the quick answer!

I have just discovered that windows 10 creates by deffect an administrator account (the one I use), but there is a hidden "total" administrator account which has to be activated. So, when I run the old VST adapter and the old Sonar as this total administrator, then (yes!) they recognizes my old vst's, so I think, at least, I would be able to work with them. 

I will continue with X3 in 64 bits mode, as it recognizes all my old vst's, and this is the version I have installed now, but I'll take note of your advice and install the 32 bit version if the compatibility with any of my old stuff doesn't go well. 

PS: What is exactly the difference between the 64 bit version of sonar X3 and the 32 bit one? What is the 64 bit version better for? 

Thanx so much my friend
    scook
    Forum Host
    Re: Please help with instaling vst's 2017/03/19 19:04:48 (permalink)
    the ability to access more RAM
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1