Please recommend video authoring software

Author
robert_e_bone
  • Total Posts : 8968
2014/09/14 17:44:46 (permalink)

Please recommend video authoring software

Hi - I am looking for some advice for a friend.

They need to find basic video production software that can: "Support import of wav files and have the ability to match individual stills to music."

They will be creating the music track to the video in Sonar X3 Producer, and then importing the exported audio to the video software, to be the audio track for the finished video.

Is there freeware that can do what they need?  

Basically, they are going to use some existing video clips, and splice in some still photos, and then when that all gets laid out the way they need, they will import the video into Sonar and create audio for the video.  They will then export the audio from Sonar and import it into the video production program, adding it as the audio track for the video.

Thank you SOOO much for guidance - I do believe money may be a big issue, so free is best, and low-cost would be OK if needed.

Bob Bone

Wisdom is a giant accumulation of "DOH!"

Sonar: Platinum (x64), X3 (x64) 
Audio Interfaces: AudioBox 1818VSL, Steinberg UR-22
Computers: 1) i7-2600 k, 32 GB RAM, Windows 8.1 Pro x64 & 2) AMD A-10 7850 32 GB RAM Windows 10 Pro x64
Soft Synths: NI Komplete 8 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, many others
MIDI Controllers: M-Audio Axiom Pro 61, Keystation 88es
Settings: 24-Bit, Sample Rate 48k, ASIO Buffer Size 128, Total Round Trip Latency 9.7 ms  

19 Replies Related Threads

AT
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 10654
    Re: Please recommend video authoring software 2014/09/14 18:16:34 (permalink)
    Sony Vegas.  Even the "Studio" version should be able to do that, and runs under $100, sometimes half that.

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    cclarry
    • Total Posts : 20964
    Re: Please recommend video authoring software 2014/09/14 18:23:51 (permalink)
    Are you looking for "cheap" or "Good"?

Most of the "low dollar" programs have the basics to do this...

If you want "quality" then you're talking Nuendo, Sequoia, Vegas etc...

If you want to get "dirt cheap" you can still get the Dell deal of 
    Sony Movie Studio Suite for $49, which has Movie Studio Platinum, Sound Forge Studio, 
    Acid Studio and DVD Architect Studio....normally $140....

It will do what your are looking for...just not "the best"

http://accessories.us.del...;acd=12309201887460817

Jeff M.
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 541
    Re: Please recommend video authoring software 2014/09/14 20:10:28 (permalink)
    I picked up Cyberlink's Power Director 12 Ultimate since it had decent reviews.
    I wanted to try out a fairly inexpensive solution rather than commit to something like Vegas. 

So far it's done everything I've needed it to do - PiP, multi-cam (up to 4), greenscreen, time lapse slideshow, multiple "tracks" of either video, stills or audio to end up with the composite video.
    Lots of export options for quality and burns to DVD or BluRay.

Lots of fx, most of them are cheezy though.
    I just use in/out fades & simple transitions, since those look better.

Platinum 64
    RME UCX | Studio Cat Platinum: i7 2700k @ 4.5Ghz | 16Gb DDR3 | Win 7 64
    Komplete Kontrol S61
    Gibson, Jackson, Parker, Suhr, Breedlove, Taylor, Lakland, Peavey, Marshall, Kemper
    robert_e_bone
    • Total Posts : 8968
    Re: Please recommend video authoring software 2014/09/14 20:21:39 (permalink)
    Thanks to all who have replied.

I will pass your comments along, and hopefully, they will find a good match to their needs.

Bob Bone

Wisdom is a giant accumulation of "DOH!"

Sonar: Platinum (x64), X3 (x64) 
    Audio Interfaces: AudioBox 1818VSL, Steinberg UR-22
    Computers: 1) i7-2600 k, 32 GB RAM, Windows 8.1 Pro x64 & 2) AMD A-10 7850 32 GB RAM Windows 10 Pro x64
    Soft Synths: NI Komplete 8 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, many others
    MIDI Controllers: M-Audio Axiom Pro 61, Keystation 88es
    Settings: 24-Bit, Sample Rate 48k, ASIO Buffer Size 128, Total Round Trip Latency 9.7 ms  
    cclarry
    • Total Posts : 20964
    Re: Please recommend video authoring software 2014/09/14 20:24:48 (permalink)
    Jeff M.
    I wanted to try out a fairly inexpensive solution rather than commit to something like Vegas. 

So far it's done everything I've needed it to do - PiP, greenscreen, time lapse slideshow, multiple "tracks" of either video, stills or audio to end up with the composite video.

Jeff, 

I agree...I have the Director Suite....and yes, for  a mid level program it is excellent.
    You can get a lot of "better" effects by buying the "plugins" for PowerDirector.

PowerDirector will do most everything and renders well...so, for the home enthusiast/semi-pro or even Pro,
    if you don't need ALL the bells and whistles, it's a very good option...

dubdisciple
    Max Output Level: -17 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5849
    Re: Please recommend video authoring software 2014/09/15 16:08:34 (permalink)
    Actuallu there are two free options that are professional level solutions. Lightworks is as good as any editor in the market. The downside is learning curve is slightly higher than most if competition. Keep in mind that the "difficulty" I due to most of being used to other systems. There are some limitations to free version like a lack of bells and whistles and limited file type support but can't beat the price. Another option is Da Vinci Resolve Lite 11. It is more of a high end color grade system, but they have added editing ability. Again, since it is free, you lose nothing by trying.
    dubdisciple
    Re: Please recommend video authoring software 2014/09/15 16:31:46 (permalink)
    I suppose links would help:

http://www.editshare.com/products/lightworks
    https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/davinciresolve

the resolve page covers all versions but when you get to download  area, the free lite version is an option. To compare lite version to standard: https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/davinciresolve/compare

Fog
    • Total Posts : 12302
    Re: Please recommend video authoring software 2014/09/15 21:51:38 (permalink)
    I use corel myself, but if I had a mac I'd use final cut pro

spacealf
    Max Output Level: -54 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2133
    Re: Please recommend video authoring software 2014/09/15 22:19:43 (permalink)
    Well, there is Windows Movie Maker you can download, but I have not used it in a long time.
    I have Magix Movie Edit ($50) but if you change computers you have to buy a new one (registered to use it in the first place and usually since it needs a patch). (I had one for my XP computer, and had to buy the new version for my Windows 7 computer)(every year comes out - I guess).

The only good sound will be from making an *.avi file, since the rest are like *.mp3 and maybe like *wmv Windows type file. *mp4 is not that good in the end, at least from my point of view.

This file would skip no matter how many times I uploaded it as a Windows Movie file (*.wmv) type file for some reason, but then it is utube anyway (which does not stream that great anyway) so I made it into a *.avi file which could hold the sound track at 48000 kHz and 16 bit (maybe 24-bit I don't quite remember now).

That is why I gave up on videos about since you need an HD camera and I used my old Sony (which has no software for Windows 7 - only Windows XP to capture, and since the camcorder is now really getting old and used DV tape anyway). I am sure a new camcorder would help, but for a good one - bucks, plenty of bucks, for a almost good one - used to be $500 if not cost increased more lately - external mic connection and HD full video - really still not all that good -- except in daytime mainly).

http://www.youtube.com/user/grumpalf

Cheap new HD ready camera for the buffalo (windy day no external mic connection).
    And old video I just leave up for the heck of it.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sIrAxNZEkAw
    because it is an *.avi file despite utube streaming - it is 48000kHz - maybe 24 bit (16 at least) when made.
    Otherwise good luck having any place stream a video any better.
    (despite putting up HD videos anyway).
    Did I say that?
    Yep!

spacealf
    Max Output Level: -54 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2133
    Re: Please recommend video authoring software 2014/09/15 22:53:23 (permalink)
    The (From 2036 Lounge version) file is an *.wmv Windows movie file - 44100kHz 16 bit lossless - except glitches near the end a couple of times - all the time you upload - glitches from utube.
    The other (Riders of the Storm) is *.avi file 48000kHz 24 bit - no glitches from utube uploading.
    Had those up before, just leave them up for the heck of it.

The buffalo one is just a cheap HD Ready camera with internal mic on a windy day.
    Camcorders have to probably be around $1000 to start getting sorta good and more way more for better equipment.
    Still movie edit programs can only do whatever and cheap ones do cheap audio usually although even Windows Movie Maker can make a video (capture also) and have stills and video all on the same video - usually sound does not have all the options, and if more options they usually want a few dollars more for the software.

dubdisciple
    Re: Please recommend video authoring software 2014/09/16 00:12:24 (permalink)
    Fog
    I use corel myself, but if I had a mac I'd use final cut pro

I find the production world got very divided over Final Cut when X was introduced.  Apple apparently wanted to make the product more appealing to consumers so they made it more like final cut xpress. Based on talking with colleagues and reading various trade publications and sites, I think Apple lost a good chunk of professional users but may have picked up more consumer level users.
    Anderton
    • Total Posts : 14070
    Re: Please recommend video authoring software 2014/09/16 03:27:59 (permalink)
    Microsoft has a free movie-making program called Movie Maker. I know someone who did exactly what your friend wants - stills set to music. Search, it's easy to find. After he becomes addicted, then it's time for sony Vegas. Even the inexpensive version is way powerful. Typically, the flagship model from a few years ago becomes the bargain version.
    post edited by Anderton - 2014/09/16 03:32:47

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
    Fog
    • Total Posts : 12302
    Re: Please recommend video authoring software 2014/09/17 12:57:34 (permalink)
    should have said dub, that it's partly that I don't like avid / m-audio etc.. so won't use any of their products after using 4 over the years. Also adobe went with the subs model.. so again , not a fan of that either.

SuperG
    Max Output Level: -63 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1371
    Re: Please recommend video authoring software 2014/09/17 13:12:23 (permalink)
    Be a dark horse - go with Vegas....

laudem Deo
    dubdisciple
    Re: Please recommend video authoring software 2014/09/17 14:14:32 (permalink)
    cclarry
    Are you looking for "cheap" or "Good"?

Most of the "low dollar" programs have the basics to do this...

If you want "quality" then you're talking Nuendo, Sequoia, Vegas etc...

If you want to get "dirt cheap" you can still get the Dell deal of 
    Sony Movie Studio Suite for $49, which has Movie Studio Platinum, Sound Forge Studio, 
    Acid Studio and DVD Architect Studio....normally $140....

It will do what your are looking for...just not "the best"

http://accessories.us.del...;acd=12309201887460817

Just noticed this.  Didn't know Sequoia and Nuendo did video editing.  Will have to check into that unless I am misreading.
    SongCraft
    Max Output Level: -36 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3902
    Re: Please recommend video authoring software 2014/09/17 14:40:42 (permalink)
    IMHO one of the best "Host" (pun intended) for video editing/production with regards to features vs workflow (familiar workflow) vs bang for the buck is Sony.... in addition, I agree with others; Studio version will do nicely for short productions i.e good enough for music video production - it's been said many times.... (kinda like using Audio / DAW) "Put the good stuff in (get it right at the source) and then the rest should come together nicely.... eventually.... I guess lol!

As for Movie Maker? It just doesn't tickle me enough, though my wife uses M/Maker for sharing family videos. If you only intend to do basic production such as; photo slides? Then I guess Movie Maker will do fine.

But what the hay, I'm just passing by, what do I know? lol. Hope you choose wisely, whatever suits your workflow and needs, try before you buy :-)

stevec
    • Total Posts : 11546
    Re: Please recommend video authoring software 2014/09/17 14:54:54 (permalink)
    Another +1 for Vegas Movie Studio version...  I've only had it for a few months with very little time to actually use it, but so far I'm pleased with the way it operates.  It does seem like a good fit for a DAW user, probably because of it's heritage. 

SteveC
    https://soundcloud.com/steve-cocchi
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=39163

SONAR Platinum x64, Intel Q9300 (2.5Ghz), Asus P5N-D, Win7 x64 SP1, 8GB RAM, 1TB internal + ESATA + USB Backup HDDs, ATI Radeon HD5450 1GB RAM + dual ViewSonic VA2431wm Monitors;
    Focusrite 18i6 (ASIO);
    Komplete 9, Melodyne Studio 4, Ozone 7 Advanced, Rapture Pro, GPO5, Valhalla Plate, MJUC comp, MDynamic EQ, lots of other freebie VST plugins, synths and Kontakt libraries

dubdisciple
    Re: Please recommend video authoring software 2014/09/17 15:00:51 (permalink)
    Although I have mentioned free alternatives, I have always been a big can of Vegas. It no longer is my primary editor, but I still recommend it die to ease of use compared to other products
    lawajava
    Max Output Level: -55 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2040
    Re: Please recommend video authoring software 2014/09/19 23:05:39 (permalink)
    cclarry
    Jeff M.

So far it's done everything I've needed it to do - PiP, greenscreen, time lapse slideshow, multiple "tracks" of either video, stills or audio to end up with the composite video.

Jeff, 

I agree...I have the Director Suite....and yes, for  a mid level program it is excellent.
    You can get a lot of "better" effects by buying the "plugins" for PowerDirector.

PowerDirector will do most everything and renders well...so, for the home enthusiast/semi-pro or even Pro,
    if you don't need ALL the bells and whistles, it's a very good option...

I agree with the two of you. I have Power Director Ultimate and it's slick.

Two internal 2TB SSDs laptop stuffed with Larry's deals and awesome tools. Studio One is the cat's meow as a DAW now that I've migrated off of Sonar. Using BandLab Cakewalk just to grab old files when migrating songs.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1