Please share your favorite vocal mics & why

Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Author
oddboy
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 130
RE: Please share your favorite vocal mics & why 2008/10/25 15:00:39 (permalink)
[size=3]I've been using AT4033's for years since I got a matched pair for a killer deal in 1995. Recently my wife has bought me a red type A (or poss type B) it's not the valve one) with an R3 cap. This sound spectacular on my voice and the guitars I've recorded it with. It's been rebranded as the Blue Bottle rocket now. I also have the Blue Woodpecker which if=s nice for female vocals and groups as well as guitar cabs and a Sontronics Orpheus which is airy and precice on everything meaning you need a good vocalist otherwise you hear how bad they are. Since moving on to these more visually exciting mics (compared to the AT4033's) I get better vocal performances (not just recordings!) from people.
Maybe trying to justify the expense, eh!
Oddly,
Oddboy

MOTU Traveler, focusrite octopre LE, quad something, Asus P5B Deluxe, 2Gb RAM, Sonar 8.0 PE, Reason 4, Dim pro, Z3ta, Soundforge 9, Acid Pro 6, TRackS, Event TR6, Guitars 'n' stuff.
Spaceduck
Max Output Level: -50.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2499
RE: Please share your favorite vocal mics & why 2008/10/25 18:29:22 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: DonM

I own two of Lynn Fuston's CD's that compare over 60 microphones on vocals. I can't imagine a better way to hear these mics many of which I could never afford (e.g. SM58) and now... Lynn has made these CD's available very conveniently as Downloads.

Mic CD

To browse the offerings, go HERE

Hey, if you look at 3 o'clock in that picture, that's *MY* mic! After hearing how great it sounded, I bought it from Lynn himself. The Alesis AM62 a.k.a. Groove Tubes GT67 I like it because it has a really warm character with a nice sweet spot in the octave below middle C which is where I like to sing these days. At the same time it picks up the 'rasp' really well. The mic also sounds amazing on female vocals (as we hear on Lynn's CD) but unfortunately my female vocalist took a hike so I wouldn't know.

I snagged a 2nd one on ebay because I wanted a Blumlein pair (you can do that with this mic because it has figure-8 pattern), and if I see another, I'll grab it to make a Decca tree. Killer mic. I just wish I had the $$ for a ViPRE preamp.

Spaceduck music [HERE]
Spaceduck videos [HERE]
Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1