Please tell Me how this mix translates- New Song called"Rise"

Author
Starise
Max Output Level: -0.3 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7563
2011/04/16 21:27:48 (permalink)

Please tell Me how this mix translates- New Song called"Rise"

If you get the time I would appreciate a listen. Trying to get the mix right and the more speakers it goes through the better. Thanks!!

Here is my link- http://soundcloud.com/starise

Intel 5820K O.C. 4.4ghz, ASRock Extreme 4 LGA 2011-v3, 16 gig DDR4, ,
3 x Samsung SATA III 500gb SSD, 2X 1 Samsung 1tb 7200rpm outboard, Win 10 64bit, 
Laptop HP Omen i7 16gb 2/sdd with Focusrite interface.
 CbB, Studio One 4 Pro, Mixcraft 8, Ableton Live 10 

www.soundcloud.com/starise

Twitter @Rodein

4 Replies Related Threads

savageopera
    Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 625
    Re:Please tell Me how this mix translates- New Song called"Rise" 2011/04/17 15:45:36 (permalink)
    This jam sounds like psychedelic party music from the "Easy Rider" time zone. Colored oil overhead projecter images, paisley prints and pachouli in the air.  Kinda cool. Mix is a bit high-mid rangey, needs attention in the low end. Kick and bass thin. Eq definition would give the individual parts more character. 5 minutes without a key change is exactly what they used to do in those days. Could be late sixties documentary soundtrack background. "Heavy, man"..........keep it up....Ron

Sonar Artist, HP Laptop, AMD A8700 , 1T+250g, M-Audio Fast Track Ultra ,Roland 88 Hammer action, Roland AX-1, M-audio 88es, Arturia minilabII......When I was young I wanted to become a mad scientist. I achieved everything except the "scientist" part....http://www.soundclick.com/savageopera
    Wookiee
    Rrrrugh arah-ah-woof?
    • Total Posts : 13306
    Re:Please tell Me how this mix translates- New Song called"Rise" 2011/04/17 15:52:04 (permalink)
    Tim it is a little busy all over and as mentioned lacking in low mid and bottom weight.

What are you using to record and mix?

Thanks for sharing.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.
    Karma has a way of finding its own way home.
    Primary, i7 8700K 16Gigs Ram, 3x500gb SSD's 2TB Backup HHD Saffire Pro 40. Win 10 64Bit
    Secondary  i7 4790K, 32GB Ram, 500Gb SSD OS/Prog's, 1TB Audio, 1TB Samples HHD AudioBox USB, Win 10 64Bit
    CbB, Adam's A7x's - Event 20/20's, Arturia V6, Korg Digital Legacy, Softube Modular, Arturia Keylab-88, USB-MidiSport 8x8 
    Beagle
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 50621
    Re:Please tell Me how this mix translates- New Song called"Rise" 2011/04/17 18:32:58 (permalink)
    Tim you might want to link to the specific song, especially since the song you're wanting to get reviewed is not at the top of the list. 

here's the song Rise's link
    http://soundcloud.com/starise/rise

as for critique of the song
    I hear a lot of distortion from digital overage, sounds like on the guitars and bass, and especially prominent in the beginning, but throughout the song.

the cymbal crash is way too loud in the mix and sounds completely out of place with every crash.  the rest of the drums are buried by the guitars and bass.  I can't hardly hear the kick at all.

nice guitar and bass playing, but the mix in the lower end is muddy and the bass is all but lost.  the leslie organ (?) is very muddy in the mix as well.  there's no clarity in the mix.

the song doesn't seem to really go anywhere, just more like a "jam session."  if that was your intention then you've nailed it! 

as I said, the playing is very good.  you've got some really good elements here.  I hope you don't mind my being critical - it is not meant at all as an insult.  I think this has great potential and I think you have some great playing here, but the mix needs a lot of work and I hope I've given you some guidance here to start work on it some more.

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    Starise
    Max Output Level: -0.3 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7563
    Re:Please tell Me how this mix translates- New Song called"Rise" 2011/04/17 20:47:14 (permalink)
     Thank you gentlemen, I am taking all the advice you gave and plan to apply it in this mix.I definitly hear the overdone and misplaced cymbals here.The song is indeed busy so I'll set about trimming it down.As a result of your comments I will be trying to trim down some of the sonic bulk here..........I sincerely thank you all!!

Intel 5820K O.C. 4.4ghz, ASRock Extreme 4 LGA 2011-v3, 16 gig DDR4, ,
    3 x Samsung SATA III 500gb SSD, 2X 1 Samsung 1tb 7200rpm outboard, Win 10 64bit, 
    Laptop HP Omen i7 16gb 2/sdd with Focusrite interface.
     CbB, Studio One 4 Pro, Mixcraft 8, Ableton Live 10 

www.soundcloud.com/starise

Twitter @Rodein

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1