Helpful ReplyPlug ins vs hardware

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
space_cowboy
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 9813
2017/09/20 02:18:53 (permalink)

Plug ins vs hardware

This question has bugged me for a long time.  

I can buy an Eventide, TC, Lex... reverb and spend $1000s.  Or I can buy a plug in for a couple $100s.  

Reverb is algorithmic or impulse based.  it would seem that whatever the box is doing, the software could do.  

yet boxes still sell.  

I have decided that the plugins - no matter how good they may sound - have to be inferior in some way or all of the boxes would be out of business.

Any thoughts?
BTW - I love my UAD reverbs.  Maybe my ears cannot tell the difference.  And I sold my rack boxes.  I had TC and Lex reverbs before.  

Some people call me Maurice

SPLAT Pro lifetime, ADK 6 core 3.6Ghz with 32 GB RAM, SSD 1TB system drive, 3 3TB regular drives for samples, recordings and misc.  Behringer X Touch, UAD Apollo Quad.  2 UAD2 Quads PCI (i think - inside the box whatever that is), Console 1.  More guitars (40??) and synths (hard and soft) than talent.  Zendrum!!!
Jeff Evans
Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5139
Re: Plug ins vs hardware 2017/09/20 02:22:38 (permalink)
How about this. Some really well known incredibly famous engineers and people who are better than us at production have gone all in the box. Does that tell you something or not.

Its all about skill and talent. Not really dependant on whether something exists in hardware or software.

Hey I am an experienced synthesist who has owned at some stage all the synths that many only dream of yet I have slowly replaced most of that with software.  The software sounds fantastic, end of story. 

Average engineer in a room full of hardware = average result
Great engineer all ITB = great result.

I was reading about an interesting situation where a famous band sent multitracks out to 5 engineers. The mix they picked and loved the best was done ITB and it was the only done ITB as well. All the others were done on hardware. So that also says something as well.

I think with reverbs and things yes they are all software in fact even inside the hardware. So yes I agree you should be able to match the sound. BTW the Lexicon top of the line software is not just a few hundred dollars either. More $700 to $800 but still worth it in my opinion. 

I agree with AT below though. Tracking through nice hardware does not hurt. But the OP sounded more like it was on the mixing end. Although I don't doubt that you could record direct through a rather transparent Mic Pre and add colour and warmth later with plug-ins but tracking through hardware is surely faster and easier as it is already printed.
post edited by Jeff Evans - 2017/09/20 04:01:05

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt
AT
  • Total Posts : 10654
Re: Plug ins vs hardware 2017/09/20 03:51:03 (permalink)
Most of the pro mixers get tracks that are recorded thru high end hardware by pros whose hearing is trained to use said hardware.  I was testing the new Warm mic today with a guy with various gold records hanging in the hallway.   he could describe the differences between it and his pair of c12a's and original c414 eb's in exacting detail - slopes and frequencies etc.  (ps. The warm won on 2 outa 4 sources).  so much of the pro recorded material already has a lot of the tone built in, or should.   good hardware might not be needed when mixing, but it sure helps when tracking.

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
Cactus Music
  • Total Posts : 8424
Re: Plug ins vs hardware 2017/09/20 20:06:11 (permalink)
It's a though question as myself I have a Lexicon MX 200 and it immediately sounds amazing. I wish the software they made for it worked in W10, They had it so you could use it via USB and stay digital. They seem like they are bad at the software end of things and it's only good for XP. I have no clue why they never kept this up to date as it would sell a lot of units if it did. I could use it by patching it in with analog but oh well, I just use the Pantheon which is probably half the sonic quality of the MX.  
To me there is something about hardware that "seems" better but it's sort of an organic voodoo thing. 
I keep a lot of hardware around just to make my studio "feel" better. How boring would it be to sit there with just a laptop and and a interface. 

Johnny V  
Cakelab  
Focusrite 6i61st - Tascam us1641. 
3 Desktops and 3 Laptops W7 and W10
 http://www.cactusmusic.ca/

space_cowboy
  • Total Posts : 9813
Re: Plug ins vs hardware 2017/09/20 20:28:19 (permalink)
AT there is no question when it comes to mics and pres.  I have a bunch of great mics (Neumann, BLUE, Manley...) and I have a UA LA 610 pre/compressor/eq.  There is nothing like the immediacy of it when mic-ing stuff.  

I am specifically curious on reverbs - where pretty much all of the internals of the box are digital - so software could be able to do the same work in the PC.  

Some people call me Maurice

SPLAT Pro lifetime, ADK 6 core 3.6Ghz with 32 GB RAM, SSD 1TB system drive, 3 3TB regular drives for samples, recordings and misc.  Behringer X Touch, UAD Apollo Quad.  2 UAD2 Quads PCI (i think - inside the box whatever that is), Console 1.  More guitars (40??) and synths (hard and soft) than talent.  Zendrum!!!
synkrotron
Max Output Level: -22.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5263
Re: Plug ins vs hardware 2017/09/20 21:26:45 (permalink)
I don't do live any more but I would never have considered taking a computer to a gig for my reverb... I simply wouldn't trust it. So I would have thought that this is where "boxes" are still preferable to ITB software.

That said, I have a Lexicon MPX-500 in my little rack and it doesn't even get turned on nowadays. I bought it back in 2002, when all my sound gear was hardware based. Then I had a bit of a break and when I came back I decided to try VST stuff, now that I had a PC suitable to run the software.

For studio stuff I would never go back to hardware.

I have a modular synth and a couple of older virtual analogue synths but when it comes to any effects, reverb or whatever, I use VST...

http://www.synkrotron.co.uk/
Intel Core™i7-3820QM Quad Core Mobile Processor 2.70GHz 8MB cache | Intel HM77 Express Chipset | 16GB SAMSUNG 1600MHz SODIMM DDR3 RAM | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 675M - 2.0GB DDR5 Video RAM | 500GB Samsung 850 Pro SSD | 1TB Samsung 850 Pro SSD | Windows 10 Pro | Roland OCTA-CAPTURE | SONAR Platinum ∞ FFS| Too many VSTi's to list here | KRK KNS-8400 Headphones | Roland JP-8000 | Oberheim OB12 | Novation Nova | Gibson SG Special | PRS Studio
Cactus Music
Re: Plug ins vs hardware 2017/09/20 22:28:11 (permalink)
I guess it would come down to processing power. The question I would ask is does my Lexicon MX 200 have more available processing power than what any given plug in demands of my CPU? 
And therefore, if the answer was hardware has more processing power than most plug ins-- it would explain the quality of that effect. I've just never gotten the depth of field in the plug in reverb that I have gotten from any of the hardware. Even my old Alesis Multi verb sounds better to me. 
post edited by Cactus Music - 2017/09/20 22:50:27

Johnny V  
Cakelab  

JohanSebatianGremlin
Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 402
Re: Plug ins vs hardware 2017/09/21 01:17:02 (permalink)
I went for years with no outboard hardware. When it came to keyboards and processors, if it wasn't software I didn't want it. I think I mostly loved how when you saved your project, everything was saved. Load it in months or years later and it would be exactly as you saved it. No having to remember which outboard gear was patched where nor which patches or settings you used.

Last year I started to rethink that and I bought a PCM91. I don't think anyone would vote it the best reverb processor ever created. But good or bad, I like the way it sounds and if I use on something, its that much less my CPU has to handle while mixing. Now on the flip side of that, I also own the Abby Road plate reverbs and I've probably used one as much as I've used the other. 

Then last month I really went full analog and built a Hairball Audio 1176. The PCM91 wasn't hard to justify adding to my rack because of its digital I/O which allows me to keep whatever I send to it digital the whole way. With the 1176, anything I use it on is going to go though a D/A/A/D conversion. Plus it has no automation nor any way to save settings. So when everyone and his brother makes an 1176 plugin why would anyone want to waste rack space on a hardware version?

The short answer is I wanted one. I like building electronic kits. And deep down I've always wondered if the software 1176 models really do accurately replicate what the hardware sounds like and how the hardware behaves. My suspicion is that when it comes to compressors, software can get close, but never exact and never 100% as good. That's my suspicion. I've not had the hardware box in my rack long enough to do any projects with it yet so time will have to tell on that one. But I figure if it turns out that I really can't tell the difference between the hardware and software, I can always just sell the Hairball box. 

Which brings up an excellent point. In most cases the value of any software you buy goes to $0 the moment you drive it off the lot. Your ability to resell a software plugin license depends on the particular license but regardless of that, the market for used software plugin licenses is about nil. On the other hand, I can easily sell my PCM91 for about what I paid for it if not a bit more. Since I built the Hairball kit myself, I could easily sell it for at least a bit more than I've got in it. That makes the risk in trying on hardware for size much lower. Buy it, use it, if you don't like it, sell it and buy something else. That option simply doesn't exist with software. At least not in the same way. Many vendors will give you a 30 day free trial on software. But I've never been fan of that. I usually have to live with something longer than that before I know for sure if it adds value for me.

If gear was the determining factor, we would all have a shelf full of Grammies and a pocket full of change.  -microapp

i7, 32gb RAM, Win10 64bit, RME UFX
AT
  • Total Posts : 10654
Re: Plug ins vs hardware 2017/09/21 04:24:09 (permalink)
Digital reverbs are, of course, mostly computer.  And the modern computer handles convolution reverb pretty easy, where convolution used to choke off a song until you froze the track.  Now REmatrix has 4 convolution engines in one instance, along with all the algorithmic effects it includes.  And even on a computer several years old I can use more than the one instance at a time.  However, just like the "computer" in your UA card, a hardware reverb/effects unit is optimized for calculating the sound, not running an OS and writing with Word and running email and a internet browser and finally SONAR running a reverb.  It just simply spits out the process for the sound.  And that helps, just as UA generally sounds better than many "in the box" effects.  The soft SSL buss comp in SONAR works great, so much so that I don't usually mess with other buss comps, but hardware DSP in general can sound better.  I know the DSP reverb in my TC Konnekt 48 sounded great, smoother than any computer-based algorithmic reverb I had.

Some of that was the conversion too, which added its own character to a reverb.  And some of it is just price, or was back a few years ago before conversion got so damn good.  If you are buying a $5000 Eventide unit it better have superior ADDA.  And for that price, it ought to share a cigarette after and maybe call to take you out to dinner. '-) 

I have no doubt if I bought one hardware effects unit I'd be buying more, whether to supplement the effects in #1 unit or to upgrade it.  So just buy the Eventide H8000 and get it over with, Maurice.  The reverb is calling calling calling you.  It has delays too.

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
batsbrew
  • Total Posts : 10037
Re: Plug ins vs hardware 2017/09/21 14:46:10 (permalink)
I LIKE HARDWARE COMPRESSORS.

there, i said it.

i like how they color the sound in a way that most all the plugins i use don't seem to be able to do.

i also like real tube preamps.
i can push level into them in a way that does not end up sounding a bit grainy, 
like most plugs.

but if you are diligent with GAIN STAGING, you can use plugins for everything,
and nobody you or I know, would ever be able to tell the diff.
most nobody.
me especially.
LOL

it's almost an intangible thing, it's really more a feel thing.
analog paths just feel different, especially while you are actively tracking.

Bats Brew music Streaming
Bats Brew albums:
"Trouble"
"Stay"
"The Time is Magic"
--
Sonar 6 PE>Bandlab Cakewalk>Studio One 3.5>RME BFP>i7-7700 3.6GHz>MSI B250M>G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB>Samsung 960 EVO m.2ssd>W 10 Pro

Wookiee
Rrrrugh arah-ah-woof?
  • Total Posts : 13306
Re: Plug ins vs hardware 2017/09/21 17:12:44 (permalink)
Here is something to consider about those hardware digital FX.

How do they do it.
Well I suspect they have :-
1. An A to D converter
2. An algorithm run by a processor probably a DSP (algorithm read program)
3. A D to A converter.

Do some of those bits sound familiar.

Whilst some hardware boxes do use discrete components, resistors, transistors, capacitors etc.  Most digital hardware has used DSP's or something created using TTL or CMOS chips to create DSP for many years.  Even my old Tape based Watkins Copycat has Op Amps (chips) in it.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.
Karma has a way of finding its own way home.
Primary, i7 8700K 16Gigs Ram, 3x500gb SSD's 2TB Backup HHD Saffire Pro 40. Win 10 64Bit
Secondary  i7 4790K, 32GB Ram, 500Gb SSD OS/Prog's, 1TB Audio, 1TB Samples HHD AudioBox USB, Win 10 64Bit
CbB, Adam's A7x's - Event 20/20's, Arturia V6, Korg Digital Legacy, Softube Modular, Arturia Keylab-88, USB-MidiSport 8x8 
wst3
Max Output Level: -55.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1979
Re: Plug ins vs hardware 2017/09/21 18:46:19 (permalink)
my experience only!

On the input side microphone selection and placement is the most important factor, followed closely by the preamplifier, and not quite so closely by other processing (e.g. compression & EQ). I have an Apollo Twin, and I have to (grudgingly) acknowledge that their Unison(tm) voodoo works well. Preamplifiers that run as Unison plugins do sound different than when run as regular old plugins. No idea why, and while they are cool I still end up using hardware preamplifiers most of the time.

Tracking is a different animal entirely. All of the sudden other factors become important - most notably repeatability and recall. If I'm using a compressor while mixing it is almost always a plugin. Even if you ignore the extra work required to get signals out and back the difference is small and - especially in the context of a mix - I can't hear enough of a difference to warrant the extra effort.

Execpt for reverb... and I can't explain this either, but I have a PCM-90 in the rack, which is certainly not the flagship, and I prefer it for the overall reverb more often than not. I like it better than my UAD Lexi 224 even. I think I'd probably like the 224 even more???

I can describe, in stupid, vague terms, the difference between the PCM-90 and any reverb plugin I own or have tried. But that's kind a pointless. I think a large part of that preference is familiarity too - I've been using the PCM-90 for a while now<G>!

I will also concede that the Exponential Audio plugins give the PCM-90 a real run for its money. As I learn more about both Phoenixverb and R4 I can imagine that I could retire the hardware.

Even more surprising, to me at least, Valhalla VintageVerb is up there on the list too. And for $50! Almost seems like it shouldn't be possible.

Which is where I start to split hairs -

The PCM-90 is simply the smoothest sounding reverb I own. I'm not saying it sounds like a chamber or a space, but it sounds like what I expect reverb in a recording to sound like, regardless of what I'm trying to accomplish. I just like the sound, and I can tweak it pretty quickly (never thought I'd say that when I first got it!)

The Exponential reverbs have a very similar character and sound, and any difference is likely my inexperience with them. I use them on individual tracks and stems a lot. (Of course they are plugins, so I can, that's gotta be a factor!)

The VintageVerb? It doesn't sound like any of the above, but it does sound remarkably cool, and I can use it on a track, stem, or even mix and get good results.

So I've taken to looking at it as a variety of tools at my disposal,  and I'd hate to get rid of any of them.

-- Bill
Audio Enterprise
KB3KJF
batsbrew
Re: Plug ins vs hardware 2017/09/21 19:23:15 (permalink)
wst3
All of the sudden other factors become important - most notably repeatability and recall. If I'm using a compressor while mixing it is almost always a plugin. 

you realize, of course, that if you are using a plugin compressor AFTER the input preamp,
you are compressing a signal AFTER it has already hit the converter,
which in my mind, 
misses the whole point of putting a compressor on a signal PRE-converter.

Bats Brew albums:
"Trouble"
"Stay"
"The Time is Magic"
--
Sonar 6 PE>Bandlab Cakewalk>Studio One 3.5>RME BFP>i7-7700 3.6GHz>MSI B250M>G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB>Samsung 960 EVO m.2ssd>W 10 Pro

wst3
Re: Plug ins vs hardware 2017/09/21 20:20:11 (permalink)
batsbrew
you realize, of course, that if you are using a plugin compressor AFTER the input preamp,
which in my mind, 

I'm missing something here... my tracking signal chain would be microphone to preamplifier to external processing to A/D converter. How am I missing the point?

-- Bill
Audio Enterprise
KB3KJF
wst3
Re: Plug ins vs hardware 2017/09/21 20:24:15 (permalink)
Or perhaps you are referring to using a compressor during mixdown? I do that sometimes - mostly for effect, but sometimes to further smooth out the level variations in a way that sounds different than riding the fader.

So I'm still not sure to what you refer.

And even when I use compressors pre-converter I'm seldom using them to control levels, I'm using them because I like the sound they impart on the signal itself, or the envelope.

I remain confused!

-- Bill
Audio Enterprise
KB3KJF
batsbrew
Re: Plug ins vs hardware 2017/09/21 21:24:50 (permalink)
yes, using them before conversion would be the proper way.

a lot of folks confuse using them for color when creating the sound,
versus changing the sound in the box.
not the same thing.

you have it right, external processing. your not confused!

Bats Brew albums:
"Trouble"
"Stay"
"The Time is Magic"
--

tlw
Max Output Level: -49.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2567
Re: Plug ins vs hardware 2017/09/21 21:40:00 (permalink)
batsbrew
which in my mind, 

To my mind using a compressor before the AD convertor is done for two reasons. One being to control the level of the incoming signal and the other to add whatever distinctive character (or none) the compressor adds.

Using a compressor at the post-tracking mixing or mastering stage is done for the same reason - controlling levels and adding the characteristics of the chosen compressor/plugin.

The two things are not an “either or”. They fulfil two similar but different functions. One big advantage of using a compressor plugin post-tracking is that it’s adjustable or can be replaced by a different compressor. You can’t do that if you print the compression as part of the audio recording.

As for hardware or plugins my thoughts are “it depends”.

A hardware digital processor or digital synth is basically a dedicated computer in a box. Now, that dedicated computer may have a sound that no plugin does, or it may simply save computer resources by doing its processing independently. But I can’t see a reason in principle why code that runs on a processor in a rack case couldn’t be written to do the same thing on a computer. Where there may be an impact on the sound the plugin doesn’t have might be because the plugin doesn’t emulate the convertor chips and the supporting circuitry. Or emulate the circuitry in the audio interface that’s sitting between hardware processor and computer.

I do agree though that sometimes digital hardware can have a punch, clarity or some quality a plugin doesn’t.

I’d hate to try to programme something like Alchemy or Waldorf’s Nave without a computer-like display though. The Alesis Micron is a decent sounding synth with a lot or depth to it, but the tiny interface makes programming it a real pain.

Plugins that emulate analogue hardware can sometimes be very realistic to the hardware and sometimes rather less so. In the end hardware vs software is a choice based on sound, ease of use, reproducability, space and cost. I use several voltage-controlled synths that have MIDI only to the extent of triggering notes, if that. I am aware that every time I set “the same” patch up it will be slightly different to the patch the last time I set it up, which for me is part of the charm. And I tend to find the analogue hardware, like real guitar amps, better at giving me the sounds and feel I’m looking for.

And I like digital wave-table sounds as well.

But if I needed instant patch recall for a gig involving lots of patch changes in the middle of songs then I’d be very tempted to use Korg’s iMS-20 app on an iPad, with it’s preset recall, than my MS-20mini and a bunch of wires, sketches and photographs. The app isn’t the same as the hardware synth, but in that kind of situation compromises become necessary.

As for things like 1176s, LA2As, Pultecs etc. then plugins win that fight for me. The hardware is expensive and bulky and I can’t afford 32 of the things so I can drop one on each track.

Sonar Platinum 64bit, Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit, I7 3770K Ivybridge, 16GB Ram, Gigabyte Z77-D3H m/board,
ATI 7750 graphics+ 1GB RAM, 2xIntel 520 series 220GB SSDs, 1 TB Samsung F3 + 1 TB WD HDDs, Seasonic fanless 460W psu, RME Fireface UFX, Focusrite Octopre.
Assorted real synths, guitars, mandolins, diatonic accordions, percussion, fx and other stuff.
batsbrew
Re: Plug ins vs hardware 2017/09/21 22:37:10 (permalink)
tlw

I do agree though that sometimes digital hardware can have a punch, clarity or some quality a plugin doesn’t.

i guess i'm talking exclusively about analog gear.
that's what i use, what i like....

but putting a compressor on a track that's already been recorded without the compressor,
is a completely different end result, than printing a track that was run thru a compressor outside of the conversion.

Bats Brew albums:
"Trouble"
"Stay"
"The Time is Magic"
--

Jeff Evans
Re: Plug ins vs hardware 2017/09/21 22:45:50 (permalink)
batsbrew
but putting a compressor on a track that's already been recorded without the compressor,
is a completely different end result, than printing a track that was run thru a compressor outside of the conversion

Not necessarily fact.  Only opinion.  Yes I agree if the plugin compressor is nothing like the hardware one being used prior to conversion.

What if the plugin is such an incredible model of the compressor that is being used prior to conversion.  There have been blind A/B tests with some UAD plug-ins compared to hardware that no one could pick.  I also read an interesting article with Rupert Neve on how well Yamaha have modelled one of his famous compressors.  Even he said he was amazed at how close it was. 

Plugins are getting better and closer every minute!  Read  my first post.  Many famous engineers much better than us have gone all ITB.  Including tracking without anything. 

I think analog synths in a way are very hard to emulate yet they seem to be doing it very well. That is also a good sign.

post edited by Jeff Evans - 2017/09/21 23:24:09

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt
batsbrew
Re: Plug ins vs hardware 2017/09/22 00:59:03 (permalink)
it's ALL just opinions, jeff...
that should go without saying.

i know that my wave forms look different when i apply external compression,
than not.

and then, trying to apply the same compression effect i WOULD have used going in, after the fact,
well,
it just don't look the same,
or sound the same.

so, for whatever my 'opinion' is worth, take it with a grain of salt.
and figure out your own best path.

Bats Brew albums:
"Trouble"
"Stay"
"The Time is Magic"
--

Jeff Evans
Re: Plug ins vs hardware 2017/09/22 01:25:55 (permalink)
Well Bats I do respect your opinion because you create good music and produce it very well.  What compressor are you using in terms of hardware.  Have you go a VST that is based on that same compressor.  One thing I do think is that a lot of plug-in compressors actually all sound different. Not in tone so much but more so in the amplitude envelope. 

I have just got the Klanghelm DC8C and I must say it one of the nicest plug-in compressors I have used.  But I am really into transparent compression and this is definitely one of those.  Another real nice one is the API2500. 

timidi
Max Output Level: -21 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5449
Re: Plug ins vs hardware 2017/09/22 01:57:33 (permalink)
I use to have a lexicon mpx1. It died a couple years ago. I just can't get the same open-ness out of plugs. I tend to chalk it up to some sort of summing, as I would have the verb returns coming in thru a digital mixer. But then, that's digital. Hmm? But, for some reason I think I still get some sort of summing benefit through the digital mixer. Anyway, so I don't know if it's the analog reverb or digital summing/separation that sounds better. I will say that some of these reverb plugs sound amazing in isolation. but, once tracks start building up, they seem to turn muddy. I try to use delay instead anymore. So, yea, I like hardware reverb.

ASUS P8P67, i7-2600K, CORSAIR 16GB, HIS 5450, 3 Samsung SSD 850, Win7 64, RME AIO.

https://timbowman.bandcamp.com/releases

Rbh
Max Output Level: -52 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2349
Re: Plug ins vs hardware 2017/09/22 04:27:48 (permalink)
I use plugs 99% of the time in a mixing / recording environment. I rarely find myself using more than one reverb in the console - but individual instrument tracks might have a specialty effect on it. In a composing situation as well playing live - or just jamming with others in the studio I use hardware. Plenty of room for both depending on the situation. I have 4 lexicons , a tape echo and a TC delay2 that are patchable to guitar racks or an O2R that I use for a synth rack. There are some effects chains that are easier to achieve in hardware in my opinion.

I7 930 2.8 Asus PDX58D
12 Gig
Appollo
CbB, Sonar Pro, Reaper, Samplitude, MixBuss
 Win7 Pro

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=902832
Jeff Evans
Re: Plug ins vs hardware 2017/09/22 05:55:44 (permalink)
timidi
as I would have the verb returns coming in thru a digital mixer. But then, that's digital. Hmm? But, for some reason I think I still get some sort of summing benefit through the digital mixer. Anyway, so I don't know if it's the analog reverb or digital summing/separation that sounds better. 

You are not imagining this.  It is not the hardware reverbs that are sounding better but the digital summing in a digital mixer.  I can sum all internally inside Studio One but even when I send digital stems out to my digital mixer, with no processing applied anywhere just the summing in the mixer being used, the image sounds wider to me and slightly nicer.

This was also backed up by the engineer who engineered James Taylor's latest CD in an article in SOS. I thought I was imagining this until I read it from him too. 

As far as reverbs go ITB I can get them sounding as good if not better than any hardware reverb I had. Lately I have been working with the Waves H Reverb and just loving it.

fireberd
Max Output Level: -38 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3704
Re: Plug ins vs hardware 2017/09/22 10:36:12 (permalink)
I have a Lexicon VST reverb and I borrowed a Lexicon reverb unit for testing.  The physical Lexicon reverb unit was much better than the software version.

"GCSG Productions"
Franklin D-10 Pedal Steel Guitar (primary instrument). Nashville Telecaster, Bass, etc. 
ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero M/B, i7 6700K CPU, 16GB Ram, SSD and conventional hard drives, Win 10 Pro and Win 10 Pro Insider Pre-Release
Sonar Platinum/CbB. MOTU 896MK3 Hybrid, Tranzport, X-Touch, JBL LSR308 Monitors,  
Ozone 5,  Studio One 4.1
ISRC Registered
Member of Nashville based R.O.P.E. Assn.
batsbrew
Re: Plug ins vs hardware 2017/09/22 14:26:13 (permalink)
hey jeff,
i've got a bunch of vst compressors.... the Klanghelm MJUC jr, Molot Limiter, Bootsy Density Mk II, fish fillets, W1 limiter, and i actually like the old sonar Sonitus single band compressor quite a bit....probably use it as much as anything else.

but my favorites are from the Waves group.
i like the C1, the L1, the Rennaissance comp, the Linear Phase Multiband, the Renn De-esser (which i guess still counts as a compressor!) and the DBX 160..... which brings to me to my favorite piece of kit, 
my old DBX MC6,
designed after the original 160a, it's in a table top format, to my ears, just sounds really good.
i've used this since i bought it back in the late 90's!

Bats Brew albums:
"Trouble"
"Stay"
"The Time is Magic"
--

batsbrew
Re: Plug ins vs hardware 2017/09/22 14:28:40 (permalink)

i've previously used: art pro vla, warm audio wa2, a urei la 2a and 1176 clone, distressor (maybe my favorite i've used but don't own)

Bats Brew albums:
"Trouble"
"Stay"
"The Time is Magic"
--

Cactus Music
Re: Plug ins vs hardware 2017/09/22 15:43:41 (permalink)
fireberd
I have a Lexicon VST reverb and I borrowed a Lexicon reverb unit for testing.  The physical Lexicon reverb unit was much better than the software version.

I was thinking if I have some time,, Hook up my Lexicon MX 200 as an insert hardware loop,  and then set up the Pantheon and set the paremeters as close as possible to the same setting. 
Then run a nice acoustic ballad through and compair. 
To me it would show if you overdue it. I think with the hardware you can push it higher and not trash the mix. 

Johnny V  
Cakelab  

Jim Roseberry
  • Total Posts : 9871
Re: Plug ins vs hardware 2017/09/22 15:53:01 (permalink)
In the end, hardware and software are just tools.
There are advantages to both hardware... and software.
Hardware by its very nature is "immediate".  
There are knobs/faders/buttons/etc that you can simply reach out and tweak.

I'll use Line-6's Helix as an example... as it's available in both Hardware (Floor, LT, and Rack) and Software (Native).
Some folks think that the hardware version of the Helix sounds better than the Native version.
Often, these folks are comparing hardware vs. native... using a cheap audio interface to run Helix Native.
When you break it down, that's not surprising.  The Hardware version has a quality front end that was designed specifically for DI electric guitar.  It has low noise-floor, wide dynamic range (to avoid clipping), and the impedance is matched for this specific purpose.

It's the same with top-tier hardware reverbs.
Those algorithms are well designed... and the box as a whole is designed/tweaked to work well as a whole.

With plugins, the quality is not just about the algorithms... but is subject to the user's front/back end.
A cheap audio interface isn't going to have A/D D/A (or analog circuits) equal to those in a $10,000 outboard processor.

More expensive gear generally has significantly lower noise-floor.
On one track, it may be hard to hear the difference.
When spread across 24-48 simultaneous tracks, it can be a HUGE difference.
It's literally like pulling a veil of noise off the audio...

In today's world, most folks strike a balance; using select high-quality hardware on the front-end (while recording)... and using plugins for mixing.  You get the best of both worlds (hardware and software).

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
jim@studiocat.com
www.studiocat.com
Jeff Evans
Re: Plug ins vs hardware 2017/09/22 20:32:04 (permalink)
fireberd

All that shows, and I don't doubt that was what was heard is the plug-in was not a nice as the hardware.  Reverse the situation.  How about a reverb plug-in that costs maybe $500 or more and as Jim also correctly points out an audio interface that is real quality at the front and back end compared to a hardware reverb that costs a similar amount (to the plugin) the result will easily be the other way around.

Pantheon was never all that great either.  There are far better sounding reverb plug-ins around these days. 

Tell you where one spot where hardware has not really been matched and that is with a quality VU meter.  Despite some really excellent plug-in VU's they still don't move exactly the same way. They don't rise up the same and they don't fall back the same and they don't bounce either. I suspect this is actually a very complex task to achieve and they so far have only gone part of the way.  The Klanghelm VU is one of the closest though. Great for level.  Ballistics tell you other stuff though and real VU's have got it in spades in that area. 

post edited by Jeff Evans - 2017/09/22 23:32:44

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1