Plugin Debate anyone?

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
alree
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 186
RE: Plugin Debate anyone? 2008/10/18 04:08:46 (permalink)

I would miss this little feller if it was taken away.

...wicked
Max Output Level: -1.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7360
RE: Plugin Debate anyone? 2008/10/18 04:19:55 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: Oaf_Topik
Vintage Warmer. My favorite plug-in of all time.

+1!

After some post-analysis, I've found that it's VintageWarmer I used on nearly everything. While not as glamorous as other plugs, I do have to say it helped bring my mixes together in a way that not only solved several aesthetic problems, but also allowed me to accomplish things I never would have been able to do "in the box". That plug alone helped make our first record be something that had some acoustic life to it. Huzzah!

===========
The Fog People
===========

Intel i7-4790 
16GB RAM
ASUS Z97 
Roland OctaCapture
Win10/64   

SONAR Platinum 64-bit    
billions VSTs, some of which work    
Bajan Blue
Max Output Level: -55 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2029
RE: Plugin Debate anyone? 2008/10/18 13:28:13 (permalink)
+1 anything by Audio Damage. Great software, great company.
+1 most UAD stuff and definitely MPL1. The other plug ins that I use a lot are some of the free stuff from Jeroen Breebaart plus his Barricade Pro (about $10 I think!)

Nigel
Check out the first single from our new Album, On Top of the World
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTLVCOeTcTc

Check out our latest videos on
http://www.youtube.com/user/DevineLie/videos

Check out our website
www.devinelie.com

Duojet
Max Output Level: -62 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1413
RE: Plugin Debate anyone? 2008/10/18 13:31:49 (permalink)
cant live without: liquid mix, UAD2, line6 grearbox, gt rig3, ampeg svx, wizooverb, kontakt3, superior2.0, BFD2
post edited by Duojet - 2008/10/18 13:34:26

Intel Core2Duo e8400
Abit IP35-E
4GB Ram
Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit
EMU 1820m

DFHS2, BFD2, Battery3, Amplitube2, GuitarRig3, Kontakt4, Ampeg SVX, Line6 PodXT
John
Forum Host
  • Total Posts : 30467
RE: Plugin Debate anyone? 2008/10/18 14:00:10 (permalink)
The word of some unknown people on a forum shouldn't convince you where/how to spend your hard-earned cash - that's what demos are for!

I don't think this is that true. For those who come in once and a while and know no one yes perhaps so. I know a lot of good solid members here that consistently give very good advice. It is true that this place is full of unknown people but only to a point. It is no different then reading a audio/music production magazine. At some point one knows the good writers and those that are not so good. Those that can be trusted and those that can't. Here for the most part just about all the posters have an opinion on nearly everything Sonar related. Most of the time those are valid opinions. Its actually rare to find patently bad advice and never without challenge.

Also most people come here looking for the sorts of answers we are uniquely able to answer. When things are subjective it is prudent for those asking for answers consider that it is opinion. Opinion based for the most part on experience however. Otherwise there would be no reason for this forum.

If its valid to explain mastering here or mixing its also valid to offer plugin advice. A demo can be very useful but which demo to narrow down to? Its not uncommon for a poster to ask about a type of plugin and get a range of suggestions that has proved helpful to the poster. Taken as a whole this is a great place to seek and receive good solid answers to these questions.

Best
John
lavoll
Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 447
RE: Plugin Debate anyone? 2008/10/18 15:01:10 (permalink)
cant you use the filter in zeeta as an fx?

buffer override, camelspace, camelphat, altiverb
tcaylor
Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 701
RE: Plugin Debate anyone? 2008/10/18 15:18:50 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: ...wicked

ORIGINAL: Oaf_Topik
Vintage Warmer. My favorite plug-in of all time.

+1!

After some post-analysis, I've found that it's VintageWarmer I used on nearly everything. While not as glamorous as other plugs, I do have to say it helped bring my mixes together in a way that not only solved several aesthetic problems, but also allowed me to accomplish things I never would have been able to do "in the box". That plug alone helped make our first record be something that had some acoustic life to it. Huzzah!

Two votes for Warmifier....I really love Voxengo's GlissEQ and was reviewing Warmifier as I thinking about picking it up. Voxengo describes Warmifier as a plug that adds harmonics, which are multiples of the fundamental frequency. It seems counter-intuitive to use EQ to surgically place instruments to increase separation and then stick a plug-in back on that adds them all back in.

Do you use Warmifier on tracks, busses, mastering or all of the above?

Tom

My Soundclick Page

Sonar Platinum, AMD FX-4100 Quad Core, 8GB RAM, Win 7, RME Fireface USB, UA LA-610, Dynaudio BM 5A monitors, G&L Asat Classic, Peavy Wolfgang, 1990 Strat Ultra, Alvarez PD-80SC Acoustic
barlowjam
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 304
RE: Plugin Debate anyone? 2008/10/18 15:22:16 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: billruys

I agree when it comes to a limiter. I think nearly all of the plug-ins bundled with Sonar Producer are world-class, but I'm afraid Boost 11 sounds like a train wreck to my ears.

+1

cryophonik
Max Output Level: -28 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4724
RE: Plugin Debate anyone? 2008/10/18 15:23:26 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: John

The word of some unknown people on a forum shouldn't convince you where/how to spend your hard-earned cash - that's what demos are for!

I don't think this is that true. For those who come in once and a while and know no one yes perhaps so. I know a lot of good solid members here that consistently give very good advice. It is true that this place is full of unknown people but only to a point. It is no different then reading a audio/music production magazine. At some point one knows the good writers and those that are not so good. Those that can be trusted and those that can't. Here for the most part just about all the posters have an opinion on nearly everything Sonar related. Most of the time those are valid opinions. Its actually rare to find patently bad advice and never without challenge.

Also most people come here looking for the sorts of answers we are uniquely able to answer. When things are subjective it is prudent for those asking for answers consider that it is opinion. Opinion based for the most part on experience however. Otherwise there would be no reason for this forum.

If its valid to explain mastering here or mixing its also valid to offer plugin advice. A demo can be very useful but which demo to narrow down to? Its not uncommon for a poster to ask about a type of plugin and get a range of suggestions that has proved helpful to the poster. Taken as a whole this is a great place to seek and receive good solid answers to these questions.

Excellent points as always, John. But, just for clarification, I was being somewhat facetious with my comment (well, at least in my mind I was).

Anyway, how 'bout our Lions, eh? At least my Spartans are looking good - ooh, speaking of that, it's almost game time! Gotta go...

cryophonik   |   soundcloud  |   Facebook

Q6600 | GA-EP45-UD3P | Windows 7 64 | 8GB
Access Virus Keyboard TI2 | Kurzweil PC3X | NI Maschine

tcaylor
RE: Plugin Debate anyone? 2008/10/18 15:24:39 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: alree

I read the description but still don't know what it really does or what the application would be. I do like the look of it and with 4 parameters it might be worth a download and trial. Alree, How are you using it?

Tom

My Soundclick Page

Sonar Platinum, AMD FX-4100 Quad Core, 8GB RAM, Win 7, RME Fireface USB, UA LA-610, Dynaudio BM 5A monitors, G&L Asat Classic, Peavy Wolfgang, 1990 Strat Ultra, Alvarez PD-80SC Acoustic
AndyW
Max Output Level: -45.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2956
RE: Plugin Debate anyone? 2008/10/18 15:33:43 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: tcaylor

I read the description but still don't know what it really does or what the application would be. I do like the look of it and with 4 parameters it might be worth a download and trial. Alree, How are you using it?

Looks like a resonant filter to me.

Best,

AndyW

OBJECTS IN MIRROR ARE CLOSER THAN THEY APPEAR

www.soundclick.com/andyw
papa2004
Max Output Level: -10.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 6475
RE: Plugin Debate anyone? 2008/10/18 15:41:41 (permalink)
I read the description but still don't know what it really does or what the application would be.

Have you read THIS?

What it does? It's a resonant filter application.

How would you use it? Selectively and with wherever your imagination takes you.

Regards,
Papa
John
Forum Host
  • Total Posts : 30467
RE: Plugin Debate anyone? 2008/10/18 16:02:58 (permalink)
Excellent points as always, John. But, just for clarification, I was being somewhat facetious with my comment (well, at least in my mind I was).

Anyway, how 'bout our Lions, eh? At least my Spartans are looking good - ooh, speaking of that, it's almost game time! Gotta go...

I should have known.

I wish you hadn't brought the Lions into a rather pleasant Saturday. One good thing about Michigan is at least one team will be a winner somewhere in the state. Michigan State is rocking the house. Go Spartans and go blue.

What got me just a tad upset was U of M and Toledo what an embarrassment. My pride took a big hit with that one.

Speaking of Toledo you know Michigan and Ohio almost went to war over it. We thought it belonged to us they thought it belonged to them The Feds stepped in and brokered a deal where Ohio got Toledo and we got the Upper Peninsula. We came out ahead on that one. Though I might reconsider that deal and give them U of M for Toledo or better the Lions.

Best
John
space_cowboy
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 9813
RE: Plugin Debate anyone? 2008/10/18 16:34:32 (permalink)
I would argue that with Sonar and a bevy of the UAD plugs, you could get all the standard stuff done. Cryo is right though there are specific sort of out there plugs that some musical styles require.

For example, if you are doing country-techno, and you need glitch effects on the vocals, there is some great stuff from Audio Damage.

Some people call me Maurice

SPLAT Pro lifetime, ADK 6 core 3.6Ghz with 32 GB RAM, SSD 1TB system drive, 3 3TB regular drives for samples, recordings and misc.  Behringer X Touch, UAD Apollo Quad.  2 UAD2 Quads PCI (i think - inside the box whatever that is), Console 1.  More guitars (40??) and synths (hard and soft) than talent.  Zendrum!!!
tcaylor
RE: Plugin Debate anyone? 2008/10/18 20:33:18 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: papa2004

I read the description but still don't know what it really does or what the application would be.

Have you read THIS?

What it does? It's a resonant filter application.

How would you use it? Selectively and with wherever your imagination takes you.

I did read that; guess I just don't know what a resonant filter is. I'll download and find out.

thanks,

Tom

My Soundclick Page

Oaf_Topik
Max Output Level: -54 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2105
RE: Plugin Debate anyone? 2008/10/18 21:57:31 (permalink)
I just don't know what a resonant filter is.

Basically, it's changing the timbre of the sound source.
CassidyGT
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 338
RE: Plugin Debate anyone? 2008/10/19 01:58:55 (permalink)
Isn't the demo stuff all done with included plugs - like Back and Forth? That sounds very good.

THAT JUST HAPPENED!!
Ricky Bobby

Middleman
Max Output Level: -31.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4397
RE: Plugin Debate anyone? 2008/10/19 02:58:21 (permalink)
Could not mix without the UAD1 plugs. The compressors outclass almost anything out there. The EQ and reverbs in Sonar are very usable. The default EQ just works without overcoloring things and I find that useful. That said, I just mixed a track with all Sonar plugs and then again with UAD1. Like I said, I would not want to got it without the Universal Audio plugs.

Gear: A bunch of stuff.
alree
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 186
RE: Plugin Debate anyone? 2008/10/19 10:04:12 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: tcaylor

I use it mainly for filter sweeps, just automate the Cut Off Frequency on a LP or HP (Filter Type) to get some nice filter sweeps on kicks or vox etc.

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1