Plugin sounds in the Red....

Author
Musikman
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 220
2011/07/06 22:35:47 (permalink)

Plugin sounds in the Red....

Hi

Using Sonar 8.5 on WinXp.  Whenever I want to load any vst instrument, whether it be DimPro, Rapture, or even a third party instrument, when I load different sounds and play them to find what I want to use, many of them are peaking the meters in the audio track because (it seems like) the volume is initially set too high by default.

Therefore I have to load the sound and turn the volume down on each one before I play it, which is kind of a pain. Any idea why this happens or how to correct this on a global level?  Granted it's not "every" one, but it is probably 90% of the sounds, and across the board on all the instruments.  If it helps any, my sound card is an M-Audio Delta66. Anyone have this same issue?

Regards & thanks,

MM

5 Replies Related Threads

Fog
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 12302
    Re:Plugin sounds in the Red.... 2011/07/06 23:48:51 (permalink)
    what version of the delta 66 drivers are you using ? the latest.. also look in the settings for that as well in the mixer.. I have a 1010LT , but you might find that effects things also.

Musikman
    Re:Plugin sounds in the Red.... 2011/07/07 09:11:31 (permalink)
    Hey Fog

Pretty sure I have the most recent drivers for my sound card. As for the settings I have everything in the mixer section set to 0 db, and in the input section I have all four channels on 12 (max) and the boxes for +4 db are checked as well, output section set to 0db.

I wonder if that +4db in the input section could be doing it, seems to make sense. I couldn't remember my old settings when I upgraded my pc, maybe those boxes were not checked before. Tbh, I don't completely understand what that +4db setting is useful for. The other options are "con" (I assume meaning "consumer") and the other is - 10db.
    Guitarhacker
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:Plugin sounds in the Red.... 2011/07/07 09:15:47 (permalink)
    Yeah... some sounds are "naturally" louder sounding. It happens in my sounds as well.

The best advice that I can offer is to be in the habit of turning the volume down before you press the keys to trigger it.

Kind of like a guitarist who should always be in the habit of turning the master volume of an amp to ZERO before plugging in or unplugging a guitar from the amp. Or turning a source down before plugging in headphones.... it's just common sense...and it will save your ears and speakers from damage.

When I load a new project, the first thing I do (literally the first) is to link the master faders and pull them to 50%.  In the various synths, I have in my stable, I know that they all have a master volume control somewhere. I think they are all set to start at a certain default level. I have not found a way to change that at startup.  But again..... know where it is so you can adjust it and either pull it down, or pull  the channel strip volume down to keep the initial levels under control.

It only takes a few seconds to pull a fader down, and or adjust it back up to playing levels. Click save.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    Musikman
    Re:Plugin sounds in the Red.... 2011/07/07 22:23:54 (permalink)
    Thanks Gh, good to know I'm not the only one!  I usually do go for the master volume before striking a key now. It does become a pain though when I load sounds in DimPro that use 3 or 4 different elements, each with their own separate volume knobs. I guess pulling the channel slider down seems to be the best time saving option.
    post edited by Musikman - 2011/07/12 07:20:44
    nickory
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1