Polyphonic issues with MC4?

Author
b4music
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 6
2009/03/21 08:42:11 (permalink)

Polyphonic issues with MC4?

OK, I'm another newbie...really, and I just spent hours reading about MIDI on the boards here. You guys/gals are all GREAT!...and thanks for all the info.

Bought MC4 and a KORG Triton LE workstation a while back and trying to get some smooth electronic music out of it all. I have a new PC with a decent, but integrated, soundcard (Realtek HD). Also using M-Audio midi connector and I have been able to record some tracks, so basically things are working.

Here's my question. There are certain "sounds" (or programs Korg calls them) that I would like to record, but when I record these sounds, the full polyphonic complex sound is recorded as a simple piano when it's recorded. For now this is my main problem. How can I record this complex sound that's coming from my synth?

Thanks in advance for any help!

b4music

9 Replies Related Threads

Beagle
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 50621
    RE: Polyphonic issues with MC4? 2009/03/21 09:21:18 (permalink)
    Hi b4,
    we have a little conflict of terms here. you say you're recording MIDI (sort of indirectly, however) but you say you're having problems recording full poly sounds from the Korg - those things are mutually exclusive. MIDI is data only, there are no sounds associated with MIDI. MIDI is used to trigger sounds in synths - either hardware (like your Korg) or software synths (like is included with MC in TTS-1). so you don't record MIDI and have it only play piano because that's not the way MIDI works. you can use the recorded MIDI to play ANY sound - you just have to tell it which patch to play.

so we'll need a little more info on EXACTLY what you are doing. are you recording MIDI tracks? what is the output of those MIDI tracks? are you recording AUDIO? give us some more details on exactly what you're doing step by step and exactly how you have things connected and we'll try to get to the problem.

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    Peter Rabbit
    Max Output Level: -64 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1305
    RE: Polyphonic issues with MC4? 2009/03/21 10:39:30 (permalink)

You can record the "sounds" from your keyboard only by recording the audio from the keyboard onto an audio track in Cakewalk. It sounds as though you're only recording midi from the keyboard onto a midi track in Cakewalk.

Pete

"Creating a bad song takes just as much time and energy as creating a good one. The problem is that you don't know it's a bad song until someone tells you, and by then it's too late."
    P. Rabbit
    Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    RE: Polyphonic issues with MC4? 2009/03/21 10:57:14 (permalink)
    It sounds like you're recording the midi data from the keyboard, maybe using the keyboard's patch and when you play it back it simply sounds like a piano....

Are you using TTS as the synth? I know you mentioned you have a Korg workstation with nice sounds.

Bought MC4 and a KORG Triton LE workstation a while back and trying to get some smooth electronic music out of it all. I have a new PC with a decent, but integrated, soundcard (Realtek HD). Also using M-Audio midi connector and I have been able to record some tracks, so basically things are working.

One problem... the realtec HD is not a good card for MC4.... you might get it to work, but I'm betting the results will be less than satisfactory..... but that's another thread for another day.

When you record midi...it's just data and NOT audio that you hear from your workstation. Inside MC4, you must use a soft synth to reproduce the actual audio music. My guess is you are using TTS, and it defaults to a piano. However, even changing the patches, will only give you the built in sounds in TTS's GM bank.

You can double click the midi track that sounds like a piano, and a window opens that is Track properties...or something like that.... in that window, there is a small clickable dropdown that allows you to select the BANK and specific PATCH for other instruments.

You can send the recorded midi data back to the Korg and use it to play the actual patch you like and then record the AUDIO back into an audio channel. Getting the Korg's patches into MC4 will probably not happen, unless you are a programmer.

Another option that many people here use is to use a softsynth to play back the music in audio form. TTS is just one synth that comes with MC4 but any synth...and there are many available...quite a few for free..... that will play back some amazingly beautiful patches and soundfonts.

post edited by Guitarhacker - 2009/03/21 11:05:49

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    57Gregy
    • Total Posts : 14404
    RE: Polyphonic issues with MC4? 2009/03/21 21:32:21 (permalink)
    Channels. The Korg "programs" might be lots of different MIDI patches playing at the same time. If you try to record all this MIDI data on 1 track, well, all that data will sound like whatever patch you set in that track. Piano is the default if you don't select a patch, and multiple instrument data could exceed the polyphony of that 1 track.
    Say one of these Korg projects consists of drums, organ, bass, strings and trumpet. You need to 1. tell the Korg which channel you want each instrument to transmit on. 2. you have to set each track in MC to those same channels.
    So the drums you might set to output on channel 10; the MC track where you want the drums also has to be set to receive on channel 10, and on down the line.
    I think that's what you're asking about.

Greg 
    I am selling my MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS, red and black. PM for more details.

Music Creator 2003, MC Pro 24, SONAR Home Studio 6 XL, SONAR  X3e, CbB, Focusrite Saffire, not enough space.
    Everything is better with pie. 

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=609446
    http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/gregfields 
    b4music
    RE: Polyphonic issues with MC4? 2009/03/23 17:26:19 (permalink)
    Wow, I had asked to be emailed if anyone responded and I kept checking me email and nothing...so I just checked the forum and found all this great info.

Yes, you have found me out....I don't know what I'm talking about. MIDI is data not sound...OK...I'll go with that, sounds a little like potato potaato....lol, but I get the gist of it. Sorry to hear my integrated card may not cut it but that doesn't surprise me too much (I don't have much latency at this point).

~Yes, I am recording a MIDI only project in MC4
    ~The output in MC4 is Microsoft GS Wavetable SW Synth
    ~Channel is General Midi
    ~Bank is Pad2 (warm)

The only reason I understand enough to give this information is because.....I had a friend come over this morning who knows way more than me (and less than all of you), and we came to at least some of the same conclusions as most of you. But I still have some of the same questions it appears. If the sounds/data coming from my keyboard is just bits and bytes I guess I don't understand why those bits and bytes don't record the sound I'm hearing from my synth fully. Let's see if I can answer my own question here. I push a key on my synth and this wonderful sound called "oxygen" comes out, but this is just a note (midi data) that has to be interpreted (read) by the software (MC4) and played back using only the "software synths" (or patches) available with MC4. Is that close?

If that's the case...then why did I spend $1,000 on this keyboard? Looking forward to those answers. Holy crap!

Help!....and thanks again to all...Beagle, Guitarhacker, Peter Rabbit, and 57Gregy...you guys are great!

b4music
    Robomusic
    • Total Posts : 8943
    RE: Polyphonic issues with MC4? 2009/03/23 17:30:52 (permalink)
    Easy fix, when you play a note on the Korg it sends a midi data stream to the computer where it is recorded in MC, take the output of the MC midi track and send it to the midi out port and that will reverse it to the korg where you will then attach an audio cable from the audio out jack on the Korg to the line in on the computers sound card.

So the path becomes korg midi send to midi cable out to Midi cable in on computer, then midi in port to MC to midi track, then midi out on track to midi port to cable to korg to assigned patch, to audio out to computer line in to ears.

Now you will understand latency (round trip timing) and see the need for a better card/interface
    post edited by Robomusic - 2009/03/23 17:39:41

I'd Seize the day but i can't quite reach it!

http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp?AID=33477&T=1260
    Music Town
    b4music
    RE: Polyphonic issues with MC4? 2009/03/23 17:33:26 (permalink)
    OK, here's another question. If I record a "wonderful" sound that the Korg synth creates shouldn't I be able to play that back through the Korg and have it sound the same. I have had no success at this point playing any midi recorded information back thru the Korg. I don't believe I have any hardware/software issues at this point, but I suppose that is possible.

Boy this really is fun! No kidding...awesome...thanks for the help

b4music
    Robomusic
    • Total Posts : 8943
    RE: Polyphonic issues with MC4? 2009/03/23 17:43:13 (permalink)
    What ever midi in/out shows up those are your paths. Then you need to make sure that the tracks are sending and the Korg receiving on the same channels.

All midi is directed thru channels, drums are for the most part on channel 10.

Let's do it this way, you send midi data to Mc on midi track 1 Then send midi from track one out to the korg your midi out is to the M-Audio midi port, in the track set it to channel 1

Then you set the korg to receive on channel 1 and set the patch to whatever you want to hear.

I'd Seize the day but i can't quite reach it!

http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp?AID=33477&T=1260
    Music Town
    57Gregy
    • Total Posts : 14404
    RE: Polyphonic issues with MC4? 2009/03/23 17:56:15 (permalink)
    Right. The Microsoft Wavetable synth has 128 patches, period. The MC software synthesizer TTS-1 is GM 2, so has more patches. Your keyboard has many, many more, and no doubt sounds much better than either the MS GS Wavetable synth or the TTS-1.
    But in order to use your keyboard's sounds, you need to write/record the MIDI track in MC, set the MIDI track's output to your keyboard, set the patch in the MC MIDI track to 'None', set your keyboard to the patch you want to hear, mute ALL other MIDI tracks, connect an audio cable from your keyboard's audio output to your sound card's line input, set up an audio track in MC to record from your line input, arm the track for recording then hit Record in the transport toolbar. MC will play the MIDI through your keyboard's synth, which will be recorded as audio in MC. Simple, right?
    post edited by 57Gregy - 2009/03/23 18:15:17

Greg 
    I am selling my MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS, red and black. PM for more details.

Music Creator 2003, MC Pro 24, SONAR Home Studio 6 XL, SONAR  X3e, CbB, Focusrite Saffire, not enough space.
    Everything is better with pie. 

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=609446
    http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/gregfields 
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1