Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
oskysum
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 27
2010/07/25 11:45:03 (permalink)

Poor Audio and Latency quality in my new laptop - windows 7 64 bit

Hi guys,

I'm sure this may have been answered before but I can't find enough detail on it.

Basically, before I was using a Sony Vaio laptop, with soundcard sigmatel something... anyway, the laptop was 4 years old and sonar worked fine, I vaguely recall using an ASIO driver, but can't be certain! This was with Windows xp, and i didn't have any problems with latency or poor audio quality etc...

Then I just bought this samsung R780, and the soundcard is a realtek high defintiion audio soundcard....
It works with WDM, WASAPI and MME driver modes but not ASIO... cos i'm asuming there is no driver for it.
Anyway, I've switched over to windows 7 - 64 Bit... and There appears to be problems when using the WDM and WASAPI drivers. there is very poor crackling even at highest latency/highest sampling rate including on session drummer 3, this never occured on my old laptop...

This is probably the first time I've had trouble with cakewalk sonar as it's usually pretty reliable... But i guess theses are the problems when switching to new stuff. I used XP for 4 years and no problems..

I think the problem is either the fact i've changed to 64 bit system, or my soundcard... or both.

If thats the case, whats the best solution? considering the fact i'm on a laptop.

48 Replies Related Threads

garrigus
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8599
    Re:Poor Audio and Latency quality in my new laptop - windows 7 64 bit 2010/07/25 11:49:38 (permalink)
    The best solution would be to purchase a better soundcard. The built-in laptop and PC desktop soundcards are not good choices for recording music.

Cakewalk has their own line of audio/MIDI interfaces available at:
    http://www.cakewalk.com/Products/AudioMIDI.asp

Scott

--
    Scott R. Garrigus - Author of the Cakewalk Sonar and Sony Sound Forge Power book series. Get Sonar 8 Power - Today! Go to: http://www.garrigus.com/  - http://www.musictechshop.com/ - http://www.cooltechshop.com/

Publisher of DigiFreq - free music technology newsletter. Win a free SoundTech Vocal Trainer Package, go to: http://www.digifreq.com/digifreq/

Publisher of NewTechReview - free consumer technology newsletter. Win a free i2i Stream Wireless Music Pack, go to: http://www.newtechreview.com/newtechreview/

oskysum
    Re:Poor Audio and Latency quality in my new laptop - windows 7 64 bit 2010/07/25 11:59:23 (permalink)
    Thanks alot for your support for quick reply,

I agree with that, hence why I have a proper desktop that deals with that, I was just hoping it wasn't a hardware problem, and could be resolved with software.

I'm just looking at the various products, is there anything would work with a USB Mic such as the samson - COIU studio condenser mic? or again, would you recommend getting a different mic?
    CJaysMusic
    • Total Posts : 30423
    Re:Poor Audio and Latency quality in my new laptop - windows 7 64 bit 2010/07/25 12:15:36 (permalink)
    Don'T get a USB mic. You'll run into the same latency and performance problems. USB mics are great for pod casting, Horrible for audio recording.
    Get a real condenser mic and get a sound card with a mic pre or 2 in it.
    Cj

www.audio-mastering-mixing.com - A Professional Worldwide Audio Mixing & Mastering Studio, Providing Online And Attended Sessions. We also do TV commercials, Radio spots & spoken word books
    Audio Blog
    Max Output Level: -25.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4951
    Re:Poor Audio and Latency quality in my new laptop - windows 7 64 bit 2010/07/25 13:00:39 (permalink)
    Don't just run out and get a condenser because someone on a website says to. Get a mic that appropriate for your recording situation. Great recordings can be made with SM57s and SM58s as well as a ton of other dynamics in rooms with ambient noise that would not work with condensers.
    Jim Roseberry
    • Total Posts : 9871
    Re:Poor Audio and Latency quality in my new laptop - windows 7 64 bit 2010/07/25 13:25:20 (permalink)
    Great recordings can be made with SM57s and SM58s as well as a ton of other dynamics in rooms with ambient noise that would not work with condensers.

Totally depends on *what* you're recording... and the end purpose of said recording.

If you want airy top-end detail in the track, the SM57 isn't going to capture that.
    If you're looking to capture low frequencies for kick or bass, the SM57 (again) isn't the right mic.
    The SM57 is often professionally used for its strengths - a tight/focused aggressive mid-range.
    • Close mic on guitar/bass cabs
    • Close mic on snare drum
    You can use a SM57 to record anything...
    But capturing bottom/top/subtle detail are not it's forte'

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
    jim@studiocat.com
    www.studiocat.com
    Re:Poor Audio and Latency quality in my new laptop - windows 7 64 bit 2010/07/25 13:31:56 (permalink)
    Jim Roseberry

Great recordings can be made with SM57s and SM58s as well as a ton of other dynamics in rooms with ambient noise that would not work with condensers.

Totally depends on *what* you're recording... and the end purpose of said recording.

If you want airy top-end detail in the track, the SM57 isn't going to capture that.
    If you're looking to capture low frequencies for kick or bass, the SM57 (again) isn't the right mic.
    The SM57 is often professionally used for its strengths - a tight/focused aggressive mid-range.
    • Close mic on guitar/bass cabs
    • Close mic on snare drum
    You can use a SM57 to record anything...
    But capturing bottom/top/subtle detail are not it's forte'

How much stuff above 15k do you normally record? It also completely ignores the thousands of records that have been made with those mics or their cousin the SM7. It also ignores the main theme of my post (environment).
    oskysum
    Re:Poor Audio and Latency quality in my new laptop - windows 7 64 bit 2010/07/25 13:56:34 (permalink)
    o yeah, another thing, theres no crackling when i put driver mode into MME 32 bit....
    Lanceindastudio
    Max Output Level: -29 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4604
    Re:Poor Audio and Latency quality in my new laptop - windows 7 64 bit 2010/07/25 13:59:34 (permalink)
    yeah ya need to get a decent sound interface - Also, you need to find out if you have a Texas instrument firewire chipset firewire connection. If you do, I recommend getting an interface from Echo, Motu, Edirol, Focusrite or RME(expensive)

Get one with 1 or 2 mic pre's (echo makes a decent one)-

Again, only if you have a good Texas Instrument firewire port.

otherwise, I would look at a USB interface - Edirol and Cakewalk make a decent one. This interface wont have as good  results at ultra low latencies, but much much better than any onboard sound card., and way better sound.

For a mic:
    http://www.gauge-usa.com/ the ECM87 is a great mic and really cheap. I use one-

Another cheapo but great:
    http://www.pssl.com/MXL-S...o-Microphone-With-Clip  I also use one of these-

Cheers, Lance

-Dont skimp on getting a decent interface if you are at all serious about making good recordings and not wasting your time.
    post edited by Lanceindastudio - 2010/07/25 14:01:11

Asus P8Z77-V LE PLUS Motherboard   
    i7 3770k CPU
    32 gigs RAM
    Presonus AudioBox iTwo
    Windows 10 64 bit, SONAR PLATINUM 64 bit
    Lots of plugins and softsynths and one shot samples, loops
    Gauge ECM-87, MCA SP-1, Alesis AM51
    Presonus Eureka
    Mackie HR824's and matching subwoofer
    Chregg
    Max Output Level: -51.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2382
    Re:Poor Audio and Latency quality in my new laptop - windows 7 64 bit 2010/07/25 14:01:56 (permalink)
    go to ASIO's web site and download "ASIO4All" driver, that will work with your real tek on board sound, just till you get a new sound card, you'll get lower latency that with MME, WMD, as far as the mics go, when in doubt put a 57 on it (lol)
    oskysum
    Re:Poor Audio and Latency quality in my new laptop - windows 7 64 bit 2010/07/25 14:12:58 (permalink)
    ok thanx guys, but another thing:
    This is my laptop so not really looking for mega high quality, wanted just to just get by...

but for my desktop at home, I was wondering if you could help me,

my soundcard is 4 years old and it was pretty good, I can't remember what it was. but I'm now looking to get the top of the range equipment for me, so can someone tell me, (or perhaps you already have above):
    Should I get get an internal sound card (which was what I was gonna do)
    or those external usb ones?

again, bear in mind this is for the desktop now, and i'm willing to spend as much as you can on soundcards to get the quality.
    johnnyV
    Max Output Level: -48.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2677
    Re:Poor Audio and Latency quality in my new laptop - windows 7 64 bit 2010/07/25 14:35:49 (permalink)
    Everybody will have a different opinion for you so watch out, You will open a big debate! But Go to a Music Store web site like Musicians Friend, Steves Music etc,  and see what is top selling and read the reviews, This is not a good place to get opinions or reviews on products. This is a good place to learn about the software. Opinions on hardware run from excellent to bad.But forget trying to use any on board card for anything other than playback. A good interface and almost any professional mike is all you need. There are many to choose from so have fun exploring. Just look for name brands that seem to be top sellers. There's reasons why they are well liked.

Sonar X3e Studio - Waiting for Professional
     Scarlett 6i6
    Yamaha Gear= 01v - NSM 10 - DTX 400 - MG82cx
    Roland Gear= A 49- GR 50 - TR 505 - Boss pedals
    Tascam Gear=  DR 40 - US1641 -
    Mackie Gear= Mix 8 - SRM 350's 
    i5 Z97 3.2GHZ quad 16 Gig RAM W 8.1  home build
    Taylor mini GS - G& L Tribute Tele - 72 Fender Princeton - TC BH 250 - Mooer and Outlaw Pedals  Korg 05/RW

oskysum
    Re:Poor Audio and Latency quality in my new laptop - windows 7 64 bit 2010/07/25 14:42:38 (permalink)
    lmao.... i know what you mean... I've sparked a debate already on mics lol... but thanx johnny, i think thats an honest opinion!
    Jim Roseberry
    Re:Poor Audio and Latency quality in my new laptop - windows 7 64 bit 2010/07/25 15:19:02 (permalink)
    How much stuff above 15k do you normally record?

There's a world of difference between what an SM57 and something like a C414 would capture on a vocal/acoustic guitar/acoustic piano/etc... 
    The C414 track would have more bottom... more top... and would capture a lot more nuance.

A small example:
    Mic a 16" tom with both a 57 and a 414.
    The 57 captures good "smack" but it won't catch much of the fundamental tone...
    Whereas the 414 captures that deep/clean Nashville style "DOOM".
    It's not a subtle difference.  It's night vs. day...

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
    jim@studiocat.com
    www.studiocat.com
    Re:Poor Audio and Latency quality in my new laptop - windows 7 64 bit 2010/07/25 15:34:49 (permalink)
    Jim Roseberry
    How much stuff above 15k do you normally record?
      There's a world of difference between what an SM57 and something like a C414 would capture on a vocal/acoustic guitar/acoustic piano/etc...  The C414 track would have more bottom... more top... and would capture a lot more nuance.   A small example: Mic a 16" tom with both a 57 and a 414. The 57 captures good "smack" but it won't catch much of the fundamental tone... Whereas the 414 captures that deep/clean Nashville style "DOOM". It's not a subtle difference.  It's night vs. day...
    If you say so, but it still has nothing to do with my post which was about environment.
    Jim Roseberry
    Re:Poor Audio and Latency quality in my new laptop - windows 7 64 bit 2010/07/25 15:45:22 (permalink)
    But Go to a Music Store web site like Musicians Friend, Steves Music etc, and see what is top selling and read the reviews, This is not a good place to get opinions or reviews on products.

FWIW,

There are a lot of super inexperienced users posting reviews on those sites.
    In fact, many of the reviewers don't even own the product.  Many have "tried it once"...
    Last night, I was reading a GC review where someone had played an OLP copy of a MusicMan guitar...
    BUT the "review" was supposed to be for the Sterling By MusicMan version of the guitar. 
    IOW, The reviewer wasn't even reviewing the right instrument.  

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
    jim@studiocat.com
    www.studiocat.com
    eikelbijter
    Max Output Level: -70 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1002
    Re:Poor Audio and Latency quality in my new laptop - windows 7 64 bit 2010/07/25 15:48:50 (permalink)
    ASIO4ALL is the answer to the ORIGINAL question!

And anyone who who recommend an SM57 as the only mic in one's arsenal, over a large diaphragm condenser, doesn't know what he's talking about!

R

Xeon E3-1231V3, 16GB RAM, 480GB 840EVO SSD, MOTU 2480MK3, 424PCI w/ Sonar Platinum
    Dell XPS 18, i5, 12GB RAM, 500GB SSD+128GB SSD, Roland VS-100 w/ Sonar Platinum

Dell XPS 13, i5, 8GB RAM, 256GB 840EVO SSD, Zoom UAC-2, Sonar Platinum

http://www.RicoBelled.com/

Re:Poor Audio and Latency quality in my new laptop - windows 7 64 bit 2010/07/25 15:55:56 (permalink)
    eikelbijter

ASIO4ALL is the answer to the ORIGINAL question!

And anyone who who recommend an SM57 as the only mic in one's arsenal, over a large diaphragm condenser, doesn't know what he's talking about!

R

Pardon me, but where does on plug in a Neumann on their laptop sound card? FYI, the only person that has used the word "only" in reference to a mic is you.
    oskysum
    Re:Poor Audio and Latency quality in my new laptop - windows 7 64 bit 2010/07/25 16:36:34 (permalink)
    yeh ok. I am actually learning alot from this dicussion.

and Asio4all didn't work btw... I selected Asio as my driver mode and no sound came out...

Buuuttt, back to this discussion, which i think is useful for my computer at home, I think I have learned that SM57 is all round good? but you need other mics to capture the other sounds.

Do you guys record with 2 mics simultaneosly?

to be honest, i'm only entering this recording world now, And have read up alot about recording techniques rather than software and hardware, Do you guys record with 2 mics at the same time, one close mic and one ambient mic?

also, anyone recommend a website to buy soundcards and usb interfaces?
    for my desktop, do I need both for my desktop computer?

I definitely upgrading my soundcard to the latest creative labs one though, and probably getting a good usb interface!
    johnnyV
    Max Output Level: -48.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2677
    Re:Poor Audio and Latency quality in my new laptop - windows 7 64 bit 2010/07/25 16:37:18 (permalink)
    See what I mean, Every one goes off topic and is arguing about mikes in a stupid manner. This thread would be better placed in the  hardware/equipment forum not a software forum.
    Yes retail review posts are just as all over the map whith bad advice just like this or any forum can be, that's the nature of the internet, everyone's an instant expert. You need to read between the lines as you can usually tell the real world from the phony if you are bright enough.
    I will look up equipment and read as many reviews as I can find, I would never take one or 2 peoples opinions on anything. After a bit of reading you will get a better sense of what is good and what is bad. Don't you believe there is a reason why one piece of equipment is a best seller? It's either there's a lot of stupid people who bought it because it was cool, or a lot of smart people who did thier research. It's just one more way to figure out what will work best for each person. I believe the OP is not about to spend $600 on a interface. More than likely the $200 price point will do him fine.

Sonar X3e Studio - Waiting for Professional
     Scarlett 6i6
    Yamaha Gear= 01v - NSM 10 - DTX 400 - MG82cx
    Roland Gear= A 49- GR 50 - TR 505 - Boss pedals
    Tascam Gear=  DR 40 - US1641 -
    Mackie Gear= Mix 8 - SRM 350's 
    i5 Z97 3.2GHZ quad 16 Gig RAM W 8.1  home build
    Taylor mini GS - G& L Tribute Tele - 72 Fender Princeton - TC BH 250 - Mooer and Outlaw Pedals  Korg 05/RW

oskysum
    Re:Poor Audio and Latency quality in my new laptop - windows 7 64 bit 2010/07/25 16:54:24 (permalink)
    I do feel like I'm learning loads from this though... I did consider getting an interface at one point but I guess I just never got round to it.

Is there any other place that is more fitted than this discussion? I do enjoy reading this discussion but I do feel the admins will close this soon...

I'm from UK btw guys, so UK websites would be appreciated. There was also a really good recording magazine I read the other day but I can't remember what it was, but it talked about how the slash album was recorded..
    Re:Poor Audio and Latency quality in my new laptop - windows 7 64 bit 2010/07/25 16:56:48 (permalink)
    oskysum

I do feel like I'm learning loads from this though... I did consider getting an interface at one point but I guess I just never got round to it.

Is there any other place that is more fitted than this discussion? I do enjoy reading this discussion but I do feel the admins will close this soon...

I'm from UK btw guys, so UK websites would be appreciated. There was also a really good recording magazine I read the other day but I can't remember what it was, but it talked about how the slash album was recorded..

If you really want some opinions tell us what you are doing and where you are doing it. How many things do you need to record at once? Are you rapping or recording an orchestra? Bedroom or buss station? Things like that.
    oskysum
    Re:Poor Audio and Latency quality in my new laptop - windows 7 64 bit 2010/07/25 16:57:06 (permalink)
    o btw, for some reason my asio4all doesn't work, if someone could tell me how to work it that would be great, at the moment the asio4alll window says:#

Realtek hd audio:
    readltek HD audio output: Active
    Realtek HD audio mic input: active
    Realtek HD audio stereo input: beyond logic

does the beyond logic have anything to do with this...? how do i deactivate unused inputs and outputs?! man this is confusing...
    Re:Poor Audio and Latency quality in my new laptop - windows 7 64 bit 2010/07/25 16:59:31 (permalink)
    oskysum

o btw, for some reason my asio4all doesn't work, if someone could tell me how to work it that would be great, at the moment the asio4alll window says:#

Realtek hd audio:
    readltek HD audio output: Active
    Realtek HD audio mic input: active
    Realtek HD audio stereo input: beyond logic

does the beyond logic have anything to do with this...? how do i deactivate unused inputs and outputs?! man this is confusing...

http://www.scribd.com/doc...-v2-Instruction-Manual
    Re:Poor Audio and Latency quality in my new laptop - windows 7 64 bit 2010/07/25 17:01:12 (permalink)
    Audio device flagged as “Unavailable” or “Beyond Logic” even though it is not in use elsewhere
    You want to make sure the “MS GS Software Wavetable Synth” or anything by a similar name is not
    enabled anywhere in you MIDI setup. The ASIO4ALL Web Site has further information on that.
    If any such “Software Wavetable Synth” (sometimes in disguise as “...DLS Synth...”) can be ruled out as
    the cause, try to restart the audio host application. Sometimes, when switching from another driver to
    ASIO4ALL v2, the previous driver will not release the audio device in time.

If the device is an USB/PCMCIA/FireWire device, close the ASIO4ALL control panel, unplug the
    device, plug it in again and re-open the ASIO4ALL control panel.
    oskysum
    Re:Poor Audio and Latency quality in my new laptop - windows 7 64 bit 2010/07/25 17:02:03 (permalink)
    yeh sure, I'm recording guitar in my house, but I plan to start a recording studio as a joint venture with a colleague once I read up and learn a hell of alot more. At present my knowledge is very very limited as Im sure you have gathered.

The guitars I use are fender strats and gibson les pauls through Marshall JVM 410

It's only recently I've started recording in my room, using cakewalk, which is great, cos it has session drummer 3 obviously.
    I normally bounce the midi track onto audio so that is no problem.

the other instruments I record are Bass, and electric guitar. and I will plan in the future to purchase a midi keyboard so I can use the orchestral VST plugins with effect.

So my main concern is getting the guitar sounding really decent. It is vital to me that I can capture the nice valve tones on my marshall.. that is reallly my main aim in recording.
    CJaysMusic
    • Total Posts : 30423
    Re:Poor Audio and Latency quality in my new laptop - windows 7 64 bit 2010/07/25 17:05:30 (permalink)

LOL, who said that?

www.audio-mastering-mixing.com - A Professional Worldwide Audio Mixing & Mastering Studio, Providing Online And Attended Sessions. We also do TV commercials, Radio spots & spoken word books
    Audio Blog
    Re:Poor Audio and Latency quality in my new laptop - windows 7 64 bit 2010/07/25 17:08:24 (permalink)
    oskysum

yeh sure, I'm recording guitar in my house, but I plan to start a recording studio as a joint venture with a colleague once I read up and learn a hell of alot more. At present my knowledge is very very limited as Im sure you have gathered.

The guitars I use are fender strats and gibson les pauls through Marshall JVM 410

It's only recently I've started recording in my room, using cakewalk, which is great, cos it has session drummer 3 obviously.
    I normally bounce the midi track onto audio so that is no problem.

the other instruments I record are Bass, and electric guitar. and I will plan in the future to purchase a midi keyboard so I can use the orchestral VST plugins with effect.

So my main concern is getting the guitar sounding really decent. It is vital to me that I can capture the nice valve tones on my marshall.. that is reallly my main aim in recording.

Guitar-SM57 or if you have more money the Heil PR30.
    Bass-direct or you can use the amp since it has a ton of options sound wise. Doubled a ton of bass tracks with the JVM410

If you get your onboard card to work a M-Audio Audio Buddy would work well. If not there are a bunch of 2 input USB interfaces out there. My kids use a M-Audio Fast Track Pro and it sounds good enough and is easy enough to use.
    oskysum
    Re:Poor Audio and Latency quality in my new laptop - windows 7 64 bit 2010/07/25 17:11:29 (permalink)
    ok, thats helpful, but at the same time lots of jargon I don't understand but i'll read up on it.

back to asio4all - Still doesn't work when i disable the input/ouputs for MIDI setup,

Forget to say - If i try to record or play on asio driver, it merely says:

unable to open audio record device
    device may not support current project's audio format or may be in use

for help visit www.cakewalk.com ...lol
    Re:Poor Audio and Latency quality in my new laptop - windows 7 64 bit 2010/07/25 17:12:53 (permalink)
    oskysum

ok, thats helpful, but at the same time lots of jargon I don't understand but i'll read up on it.

back to asio4all - Still doesn't work when i disable the input/ouputs for MIDI setup,

Forget to say - If i try to record or play on asio driver, it merely says:

unable to open audio record device
    device may not support current project's audio format or may be in use

for help visit www.cakewalk.com ...lol

That generally means it is being used by something else. Check that and the sample rate setting in A4A
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1