Portable Rig - Suggestions Needed

Author
Rain
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 9736
2010/09/03 19:25:14 (permalink)

Portable Rig - Suggestions Needed

I need to put together a mobile setup, as compact/light-weight as possible. I'm basically relocating for x months at a time, each time in a different countriy, so it's like I'm moving but only carrying w/ me what I'd take for a short trip overseas.

Beside the laptop, I plan on getting:

M-Audio AV30 - mostly because I've had good luck with their products in the past and they're affordable. I need something SMALL and light and I don't like/want to work w/ headphones. Do you guys know of any other options I might want to look into? 

I'm also looking for something like an all-in-one usb midi keyboard/audio interface, maybe similar to Line 6 KB37, preferably cross-platform. Something compact and reasonably priced, once again. A built-in basic preamp would be awesome.

KB37 would have seemed to be an option and I tried to find posts of the forum but couldn't really find much. There also seems to be issues w/ the latest revision of OSX, and I'd preferably want something cross-platform as mentioned earlier. Seems every time I've read about Line 6 there was some drivers issues.

Lastly, since I have to put this rig together all at once, budget is an issue. But I'm not looking into building a mobile version of AIR studios, just a solid compact portable songwriting rig.

Of course, I might be back soon for more advices in regards to the actual laptop (my *cough* expertise w/ those being strictly limited to Mac). MacBook Boot Camp not excluded as an option, btw. But feel free to disgress. ;)

TCB - Tea, Cats, Books...

11 Replies Related Threads

chrysb93021
    Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 297
    Re:Portable Rig - Suggestions Needed 2010/09/04 01:55:01 (permalink)
    Well, if you're asking about OSX, we're talking about different DAW software.  But SONAR works with the KB37 just fine over here, and seems to sound pretty good, too.  Win XP SP2 and the latest Line 6 drivers.
    Rain
    Re:Portable Rig - Suggestions Needed 2010/09/04 12:35:10 (permalink)
    Glad to get some positive feedback about that unit. 

OSX compatibility isn't crucial as I'm using Sonar (on XP, though the portable rig will most likely be running Windows 7). 

Nevertheless, I am also facing the same issue many here are facing in term of collaboration w/ the Mac/Logic folks. 

Since I have used Logic for years on the PC, it shouldn't be too much of a hassle for me to work w/ it. Of course there are workarounds, but the Boot Camp Sonar/Logic option is not excluded, though ultimately not a deciding factor.

ba_midi
    • Total Posts : 14061
    Re:Portable Rig - Suggestions Needed 2010/09/04 15:51:57 (permalink)
    Rain,

I have the M-Audio BX5As, and frankly they are not what I'd call trustworthy.  They are extremely bright sounding, though the bottom is 'ok'.

So I would go listen carefully to those AV30s before buying and compare to other offerings.   If I was mixing on the BX speakers, I'd be worried about good translation to other systems; so if the AV's are anything like the BX, I would shy away from them personally.

I do use the BXs to cross ref and such, but not to mix at all.

Billy Arnell (ba-midi)

http://www.ba-midi.com/music/files
    Music gives me life, so I give life Music.
    Thanks for listening - Let's Dance to the rhythm of life! :)
    Rain
    Re:Portable Rig - Suggestions Needed 2010/09/04 21:15:19 (permalink)
    Thanks Billy. :)

Actually, I'm not expecting too much from the AVs. I don't intend to finish any mix w/ them, I'm basically looking for something a bit better in term of range than your typical basic set of PC speakers, and I consider the AV's as such - a notch better. 

Which is why I'm on the hunt for better options if such a thing exists. Though I doubt. I've had a look at Roland/Cakewalk's MA-7A, but I know nothing about them and at 9 lbs for the pair, they're a bit heavy for the expedition I'm undertaking.

Imagine literally moving from Canada to the US for 4 months, then Russia for 3 months, then France for another 2 months, and then heading who knows where - could be Korea or Japan...  That's basically what I prepare for, so portable is no euphemism...
    post edited by Rain - 2010/09/04 21:16:55

ba_midi
    Re:Portable Rig - Suggestions Needed 2010/09/04 23:04:04 (permalink)
    Rain

Thanks Billy. :)

Actually, I'm not expecting too much from the AVs. I don't intend to finish any mix w/ them, I'm basically looking for something a bit better in term of range than your typical basic set of PC speakers, and I consider the AV's as such - a notch better. 

Which is why I'm on the hunt for better options if such a thing exists. Though I doubt. I've had a look at Roland/Cakewalk's MA-7A, but I know nothing about them and at 9 lbs for the pair, they're a bit heavy for the expedition I'm undertaking.

Imagine literally moving from Canada to the US for 4 months, then Russia for 3 months, then France for another 2 months, and then heading who knows where - could be Korea or Japan...  That's basically what I prepare for, so portable is no euphemism...

You might want to check out some Harmon Kardon speakers.  They make some amazingly small ones.   But with speakers -- you really have to listen to them.  I wouldn't buy on specs alone (made that mistake and learned the hard way).

Billy Arnell (ba-midi)

Rain
    Re:Portable Rig - Suggestions Needed 2010/09/05 12:13:57 (permalink)
    Woah, that is some slick design... As you say, I'd have to hear them though. 
    Oh well, I guess I'll have to venture outside, spend time in music stores  and test some of them monitors... 

ba_midi
    Re:Portable Rig - Suggestions Needed 2010/09/05 12:37:52 (permalink)
    Woah, that is some slick design... As you say, I'd have to hear them though. Oh well, I guess I'll have to venture outside, spend time in music stores and test some of them monitors...

Well, let's face it - there's gotta be some way to get a music maker away from their music making and get out of the house now and then ;)

Billy Arnell (ba-midi)

Rain
    Re:Portable Rig - Suggestions Needed 2010/09/05 17:14:22 (permalink)
    LOL I guess... Anyway, I'll be rigged for a couple of years after that. :)

Like many around here, I guess I've been over-exposed to those salesmen who'll almost start an argument w/ you when you dare ask for something that's not on their hot list. Nah, I wouldn't recommend that/we don't carry it/it's no good/I heard it's made in China; what you need is this here, buddy... 

batsbrew
    • Total Posts : 10037
    Re:Portable Rig - Suggestions Needed 2010/09/06 13:11:26 (permalink)
    it seems you have conflicting requirements here...

you said a 'songwriting' tool.

not a full blown recording platform.....?

if you're not taking care on your front end, then does that mean you're not looking for a 'tracking' system?
    only a 'writing' or demo system?

if that's the case, there are numerous simple, all in one portable DAWS on the market..
    why not simply use one of those?

and if you can't afford to purchase and carry decent monitors, why not invest in a really nice quality set of cans? and be done with that as well?

it's confusing to me, exactly what you expect to accomplish with your 'portable lightweight' setup...

is it more because you know sonar, and that's what you want to work with?
    and everything is then tied to a 'laptop'?

Bats Brew music Streaming
    Bats Brew albums:
    "Trouble"
    "Stay"
    "The Time is Magic"
    --
    Sonar 6 PE>Bandlab Cakewalk>Studio One 3.5>RME BFP>i7-7700 3.6GHz>MSI B250M>G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB>Samsung 960 EVO m.2ssd>W 10 Pro

Rain
    Re:Portable Rig - Suggestions Needed 2010/09/07 09:52:21 (permalink)
    I guess I get so caught up in what I do that the distinction isn't always all that clear to me either.

So let's put it straight - this isn't a full blown recording rig. Most of the work will be done via MIDI. I won't need to record more than a track at once. Everything will be software-based. I'm not even taking my guitar w/ me.

So this will be used to put songs together from scratch, work on the arrangement (usually a huge part of my work), track vocals, and put together a temporary basic/rough mix (which I shouldn't even call a mix I guess).

I have tried working w/ cans (fairly decent ones at that) but I hate it, though I do take a pair w/ me to track vocals.

johnnyV
    Max Output Level: -48.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2677
    Re:Portable Rig - Suggestions Needed 2010/09/07 18:26:59 (permalink)
    Sounds like an all in one controller/usb interface that has a input jack ( xlr?) and a laptop with 4 gigs of ram to me. And for speakers. if your working with MIDI I personally wouldn't worry about the accuracy because you'll mostly already know your sounds you trust. And as you say you won't be mixing so take a good pair of cans for reference and buy the smallest /loudest pair of powered monitors you can find. I sometimes mess with MIDI parts on my home office computer and it has these standard el cheapo computer speakers. As long as I can tell a piano from a cello I'm fine. I keep a set of headphones plugged in for after hours and fine tuning.

I do a bit of on location recording and it all fits in a gig bag that would pass the carry on luggage size test and have room for the monitors too.
    post edited by johnnyV - 2010/09/07 18:30:16

Sonar X3e Studio - Waiting for Professional
     Scarlett 6i6
    Yamaha Gear= 01v - NSM 10 - DTX 400 - MG82cx
    Roland Gear= A 49- GR 50 - TR 505 - Boss pedals
    Tascam Gear=  DR 40 - US1641 -
    Mackie Gear= Mix 8 - SRM 350's 
    i5 Z97 3.2GHZ quad 16 Gig RAM W 8.1  home build
    Taylor mini GS - G& L Tribute Tele - 72 Fender Princeton - TC BH 250 - Mooer and Outlaw Pedals  Korg 05/RW

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1