Possible to play @ 2ms latency?

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
Blackwaters End
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 179
RE: Possible to play @ 2ms latency? 2008/01/05 21:57:14 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Rbh

Drummers are often more sensitive to the effect, certainly more so than bass players. I don't know if it's due to the percussive nature of the instruments, or just that drummers are more tuned in to timing. But I know that trying to "play drums" on a keyboard with a soft synth is an exercise in frustration, even with short latencies.

I imagine with drummers the physical feedback is more noticable considering the mechanics compared to most other instruments. I can tell the difference when playing a harder pad than when playing a softer pad like a v-Drum.

I just did a recording session last week and had the drummer using my V-drums which were triggering EZ Drummer via MIDI. He found the whole experience pretty disconcerting even with what was (as I perceived it) an extremely small amount of latency. He felt that the drums just lacked "impact" - that immediate response that one experiences with a real drum kit. He's an amazing drummer and did a fine job, but never quite got used to the feel of the V-drums/delay.

SteveD
Max Output Level: -47 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2831
RE: Possible to play @ 2ms latency? 2008/01/05 23:56:12 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Blackwaters End

ORIGINAL: Rbh

Drummers are often more sensitive to the effect, certainly more so than bass players. I don't know if it's due to the percussive nature of the instruments, or just that drummers are more tuned in to timing. But I know that trying to "play drums" on a keyboard with a soft synth is an exercise in frustration, even with short latencies.

I imagine with drummers the physical feedback is more noticable considering the mechanics compared to most other instruments. I can tell the difference when playing a harder pad than when playing a softer pad like a v-Drum.

I just did a recording session last week and had the drummer using my V-drums which were triggering EZ Drummer via MIDI. He found the whole experience pretty disconcerting even with what was (as I perceived it) an extremely small amount of latency. He felt that the drums just lacked "impact" - that immediate response that one experiences with a real drum kit. He's an amazing drummer and did a fine job, but never quite got used to the feel of the V-drums/delay.

What latency setting were you using? I trigger ez-drummer at 1.45ms. Feels good.

SteveD
DAWPRO Drum Tracks

... addicted to gear
Blackwaters End
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 179
RE: Possible to play @ 2ms latency? 2008/01/06 01:27:12 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: SteveD

What latency setting were you using? I trigger ez-drummer at 1.45ms. Feels good.

I'm using 3.4 milliseconds. I guess I will have to mess around to see if I can get that lower next time.
CJaysMusic
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 30423
RE: Possible to play @ 2ms latency? 2008/01/06 01:31:17 (permalink)

Something about saying it feels good when playing the skins is kinda awkward. But if he's using v-drums, i guess he playing with the rubber
Cj
Im so sorry

www.audio-mastering-mixing.com - A Professional Worldwide Audio Mixing & Mastering Studio, Providing Online And Attended Sessions. We also do TV commercials, Radio spots & spoken word books
Audio Blog
OldNick
Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1149
RE: Possible to play @ 2ms latency? 2008/01/06 02:58:24 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: altima_boy_2001

Total perceived latency is much higher than reported latency when input monitoring. This thread gives more info, especially the post at the top of the page: k]

But then surely if you have all this "phantom" latency, the difference between 2 ms and 5 ms becomes even less important.

Nick

Nick
Aced : Zither Mush (I no longer have ANY idea what this means)
Ancient Seeker of Artifacts
Platinum 23.4.0, Win 7 64 bit
wormser
Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 984
RE: Possible to play @ 2ms latency? 2008/01/06 04:11:52 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: AdamFH

ORIGINAL: Mick

How many hard drives do you have? Do you have your audio on a different drive than the system files?

You know that that is extremely irrelevant to the topic problem, right?

Actually he *is* on the right track, but he has the drive usage mixed up.
If he is using disk streaming VST's, like Ivory for example, using a separate drive dedicated to the VST (not audio as he says) will improve performance and allow him to get lower latencies.

Ivory IMHO is the acid test for latency and streaming.
It sucks cycles like crazy, even on the fastest systems.
I'm talking about 160 voices, concert hall reverb and a few other tweaks.

It's the best IMHO but it does use a lot of power.

Dan14
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 103
RE: Possible to play @ 2ms latency? 2008/01/06 11:04:25 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Jim Roseberry

You either have to buy a receptor or use another PC for realtime monitoring of softsynths and FX.

Not at all...
With a fast/robust machine, you can easily play/monitor thru software EFX in realtime.
This requires an audio interface with low round-trip latency
RME/MOTU/Edirol can achieve total round-trip latency of 5-6ms (at 64-sample buffer/44.1k)... which is as good as it gets.

My Core2Quad running at 3GHz can easily run Guitar Rig 3, Ampeg SVX, Amplitube 2, etc in this scenario.
ie: Playing thru Ampeg SVX with the above buffer/SR settings (with MOTU 896HD) consumes a little over 2% CPU. (This is using SVX's high-res mode)

My goal is to not bounce or freeze. With my setup (Dual 2.2 athlon, 2G ram, seprate drives and MOTU 828mkII FW) I can have EZdrummer, Kontakt with 2 or 3 instruments, z3ta and 5 or 6 guitar and/or bass tracks with revalver mkII + FX on almost every track play fine at around 30-50ms.

Would it be possible in a similar scenario to make 2ms with a quad and still be able to record a few more tracks?

For now I use my laptop with an old but still good UA5 to hear my guitar in real time. I use the inst. IN of the 828 connect the s/pdif OUT of the 828 to the IN of the UA5 and go back to the 828 using the analog OUT of the UA5 thanks to the very flexible routing possibilities of the 828. And that is using XP on the desktop and VISTA 32 on the laptop.

thanks.

Dan14
Mick
Max Output Level: -63 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1358
RE: Possible to play @ 2ms latency? 2008/01/06 11:11:20 (permalink)
Thanks for standing up for me, partially, but I'm going to go a little farther and say that using a second drive for audio will improve performance regardless of whether or not he's using disk streaming VSTs.

The OP says, if I understood him right, that he is getting unexplained pops and clicks at a latency he thinks his computer should be able to handle. And if he has a 4400 dual core with 2 gigs of ram and is only playing a couple of tracks at a time, I think he should, in fact, be able to get 2 ms of latency with the EMU, but that will be harder if he only has 1 hard drive.

Mixing latency is the amount of time SONAR allocates to prepare a buffer full of audio data for playback. A lot of things have to happen before the audio gets played other wise there will be pops and clicks, including, in the case of previously created audio tracks, retrieve audio data from the hard drive. Sonar does not simply load all the audio into memory before the project starts, it retrieves it while the song is playing. If his audio data is on the same drive as his system data, his drive will not be able to retrieve the audio data as quickly and he is more likely to get clicks and pops at a given latency, as well as a bunch of other possible problems which may not seem directly related, such as the dreaded "audio disk full" error that sometimes happen even when your disk is half empty.

I'll go as far as to say that if the OP is using only 1 drive, getting a second and dedicating it to store the audio files is the very next thing he should do in order to improve performance.

Unless I have misunderstood something, which would not be the first time...

Mick

ORIGINAL: wormser

ORIGINAL: AdamFH

How many hard drives do you have? Do you have your audio on a different drive than the system files?

You know that that is extremely irrelevant to the topic problem, right?

Actually he *is* on the right track, but he has the drive usage mixed up.
If he is using disk streaming VST's, like Ivory for example, using a separate drive dedicated to the VST (not audio as he says) will improve performance and allow him to get lower latencies.

Ivory IMHO is the acid test for latency and streaming.
It sucks cycles like crazy, even on the fastest systems.
I'm talking about 160 voices, concert hall reverb and a few other tweaks.

It's the best IMHO but it does use a lot of power.

post edited by Mick - 2008/01/06 11:14:05

I have not changed my signature.
altima_boy_2001
Max Output Level: -55 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2033
RE: Possible to play @ 2ms latency? 2008/01/06 18:03:15 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: OldNick
Total perceived latency is much higher than reported latency when input monitoring. This thread gives more info, especially the post at the top of the page: k]

But then surely if you have all this "phantom" latency, the difference between 2 ms and 5 ms becomes even less important.

The "phantom" latency you have zero control over will probably be under 64 samples each way (in/out). The "phantom" latency you do have control over depends on how you're willing to work. What you're saying is true if you're willing to minimize latency in the other areas, specifically the plugins you choose to use and using headphones instead of speakers for monitoring. Since some people refuse to adjust these other areas then minimizing driver buffer size becomes very important since it's the only way for them to lower perceived latency.
Patrice Brousseau
Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 391
RE: Possible to play @ 2ms latency? 2008/01/06 20:07:30 (permalink)
With a system similar to Duojet (Gigabyte K8U-939, AMD X2 3800+, 2gb of RAM, 3 hard disks) except the soundcard (Mia Echo in my case) I can go to the lowest setting possible with that card: 1,5 ms. Sure, I didn't tested the round-trip latency...

This is with WinXP2 stripped down to the minimum and with projects that are light (VSampler with a big 3gb piano patch with a lot of pedal and a reverb ).

Please note that (weirdly) the only way to achieve this result is to use the ASIO4ALL drivers (not the Echo ASIO one nor WDM).

Add to this that I use Sonar 5 and not 7.

**A little bit OT: last week I tried to add a firewire card because someone gave me his camcorder and just the fact that I add the firewire card (no data transfer on it), gave me some clicks and pops under this low latency... I removed the offending thing and put it in my second computer in place.
post edited by Patrice Brousseau - 2008/01/06 20:21:12

Patrice Brousseau
OldNick
Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1149
RE: Possible to play @ 2ms latency? 2008/01/06 20:32:25 (permalink)

The "phantom" latency you have zero control over will probably be under 64 samples each way (in/out). The "phantom" latency you do have control over depends on how you're willing to work. What you're saying is true if you're willing to minimize latency in the other areas, specifically the plugins you choose to use and using headphones instead of speakers for monitoring. Since some people refuse to adjust these other areas then minimizing driver buffer size becomes very important since it's the only way for them to lower perceived latency.

"OK. I call it "phantom" because it's hidden to the User in most cases. We don;t think about it.

I agree with what you say, but my point was that if you are _not_ willing to optimize all other areas (choose plugins, headphones etc) then you are straining at gnats when you go out and buy vast arrays of drives just to get an extra 1-2 ms less latency, when the total perceived could easily be 10ms, and could be improved by a few simple actions.

I actually subscribe to the idea that if you cannot work with 10ms (+!) latency then you need to learn. Even a drummer can be 3' (3ms) from their drums, let alone if they're miked up and it comes back at them through feedback or PA. Orchestras of course sound awful; they are vast distances away from each other! <G>

Nick

Nick
Aced : Zither Mush (I no longer have ANY idea what this means)
Ancient Seeker of Artifacts
Platinum 23.4.0, Win 7 64 bit
wormser
Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 984
RE: Possible to play @ 2ms latency? 2008/01/06 21:06:53 (permalink)

Thanks for standing up for me, partially, but I'm going to go a little farther and say that using a second drive for audio will improve performance regardless of whether or not he's using disk streaming VSTs.

The OP says, if I understood him right, that he is getting unexplained pops and clicks at a latency he thinks his computer should be able to handle. And if he has a 4400 dual core with 2 gigs of ram and is only playing a couple of tracks at a time, I think he should, in fact, be able to get 2 ms of latency with the EMU, but that will be harder if he only has 1 hard drive.

Mixing latency is the amount of time SONAR allocates to prepare a buffer full of audio data for playback. A lot of things have to happen before the audio gets played other wise there will be pops and clicks, including, in the case of previously created audio tracks, retrieve audio data from the hard drive. Sonar does not simply load all the audio into memory before the project starts, it retrieves it while the song is playing. If his audio data is on the same drive as his system data, his drive will not be able to retrieve the audio data as quickly and he is more likely to get clicks and pops at a given latency, as well as a bunch of other possible problems which may not seem directly related, such as the dreaded "audio disk full" error that sometimes happen even when your disk is half empty.

I'll go as far as to say that if the OP is using only 1 drive, getting a second and dedicating it to store the audio files is the very next thing he should do in order to improve performance.

Unless I have misunderstood something, which would not be the first time...

Mick
[

Absolutely.
If he's recording, using 3 drives is the best way to go IMHO.
That's what I do. I have Sonar on my OS drive, Ivory and a couple of other streaming VSTs on another drive and I have yet another drive for audio.
Three drives total.
I got the impression from the original post that he was talking about monitoring while playing?
He clarified things later.

Enjoy!

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1