Possibly a very stupid question regarding PC Recording and Interfaces

Author
barrywomb
Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 407
2010/12/23 11:30:01 (permalink)

Possibly a very stupid question regarding PC Recording and Interfaces

Hi and Happy Holidays!

So, I find that unless I leave my Desktop PC dedicated to recording, each time I go to record is a bit of a clusterF trying to sort out and assign sound cards and drivers, etc.  It's always a headache for me and usually puts me right out of ANY kind of creative mood.

I have a laptop that seems to make things easier, but the sound card isn't as good as the Delta that's on the Desktop one.

So, my question is, do external interfaces take this out of the mix? I mean, if I get some kind of interface, it is as simple as plug and play? I suppose I could leave the desktop PC dedicated, but it means a huge headache for me to do this. I'm looking for a simpler solution.
I have checked out other softwares recommended to me here, but I really like CW and Sonar as far as the way their interface works.

Is this a dumb question? I just find that I get super frustrated trying to figure it out...

Thanks a lot!

23 Replies Related Threads

Beagle
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 50621
    Re:Possibly a very stupid question regarding PC Recording and Interfaces 2010/12/23 12:12:36 (permalink)
    Hey, barry.  let's keep the language "G" rated, OK?

what soundcard are you using on the laptop?  the external soundcards are only as good as the drivers.  some drivers are better than others.

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    barrywomb
    Re:Possibly a very stupid question regarding PC Recording and Interfaces 2010/12/23 12:20:33 (permalink)

The sound card on the laptop is just the stock Toshiba one. Realtek I believe. The one on a laptop is a Delta which you had recommended I believe. It's an xp system and the laptop is Win7.

Beagle
    Re:Possibly a very stupid question regarding PC Recording and Interfaces 2010/12/23 14:10:10 (permalink)
    right - the delta should work fine, but the laptop's onboard soundcard would give you problems, likely. 

it depends on your needs and your budget, but the m-audio fast track ultra (and ultra 8R) are the latest hot items.

Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:Possibly a very stupid question regarding PC Recording and Interfaces 2010/12/23 16:29:47 (permalink)
    The USB interfaces are the way to go with a laptop.  Once you get the drivers installed and updated and the settings... you should be good to go.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    Robomusic
    • Total Posts : 8943
    Re:Possibly a very stupid question regarding PC Recording and Interfaces 2010/12/24 01:43:32 (permalink)
    My recording system is an old single core AMD with a delta 24/96 and it is dedicated and non internet , and after all these years it still runs smooth as a babys behind!!

Putting 2 gig of ram made it slick. I am planning an upgrade this year later, but we will see.

I'd Seize the day but i can't quite reach it!

http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp?AID=33477&T=1260
    Music Town
    Guitarhacker
    Re:Possibly a very stupid question regarding PC Recording and Interfaces 2010/12/24 08:44:00 (permalink)
    the upgrades are cheaper if you build one yourself and totally rock.

BMI/NSAI

Robomusic
    • Total Posts : 8943
    Re:Possibly a very stupid question regarding PC Recording and Interfaces 2010/12/24 11:40:15 (permalink)
    My last two computers have been hand build models i have less clutter that way and the parts are picked after some research. The first one was good but not great, the second one i still have after 8 years it is still cookin'

I'd Seize the day but i can't quite reach it!

http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp?AID=33477&T=1260
    Music Town
    Guitarhacker
    Re:Possibly a very stupid question regarding PC Recording and Interfaces 2010/12/24 13:00:01 (permalink)
    that is the plan for my recent build.... off the net and keep it humming along for years.  Since it currently does all I need and does it very well, there will be no need for any upgrades until I am forced to do so by a catastrophic  hardware failure.

BMI/NSAI

57Gregy
    • Total Posts : 14404
    Re:Possibly a very stupid question regarding PC Recording and Interfaces 2010/12/24 15:53:31 (permalink)
    My computer is not a dedicated DAW and my settings never change. I'm on the internet, word processor, use photo-editing software, watch Utube videos and listen to Windows Media Player and mp3s on the internet. It's a multi-purpose machine.
    Every now and then an update to something may knock the settings askew, but it's certainly not a major headache to reset them.
    So why is it a headache for you? What settings get changed?
    If you have any external audio interface that uses ASIO drivers, and you set the interface up so it uses ASIO drivers, set up all your audio applications to use that interface, the settings should not change, since you can only use one device with ASIO drivers and very few (none?) stock sound cards use ASIO drivers and cannot take control of the audio and change the settings.
    I know you wrote previously about your different uses for the computers, but if it was me, I'd take the Delta with the laptop and use it all the time, for both computers.

post edited by 57Gregy - 2010/12/24 21:29:17

Greg 
    I am selling my MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS, red and black. PM for more details.

Music Creator 2003, MC Pro 24, SONAR Home Studio 6 XL, SONAR  X3e, CbB, Focusrite Saffire, not enough space.
    Everything is better with pie. 

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=609446
    http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/gregfields 
    Guitarhacker
    Re:Possibly a very stupid question regarding PC Recording and Interfaces 2010/12/24 16:35:28 (permalink)
    On this lappy, which also ended up being a multipurpose machine, the settings were not an issue. It almost always worked fine even with the regular Windows updates.

I use this lappy as a back up DAW now. And as a scratchpad for song ideas.

BMI/NSAI

barrywomb
    Re:Possibly a very stupid question regarding PC Recording and Interfaces 2010/12/25 14:42:24 (permalink)
    Hi Gregy- yeah when I try and use it after a long period off, I get the deal where I try to record a track and it records the old track and the new track, rather than one at a time. Then I have to chase that down. Sometimes chasing it down can take forever. It's just frustrating. I guess I need to just make it a dedicated machine, but I've got business bookkeeping stuff on it and other stuff, so it's just a bit of a hassle.
    paulclaro
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 236
    Re:Possibly a very stupid question regarding PC Recording and Interfaces 2010/12/25 14:51:52 (permalink)
    I got a lap top with windows 7 64bit. I just installed shs7xl. I have my mike going right into my lap top for now. I installed asio and, maybe it's my inexperience, but I can't get it to work right. Anyway I can't get the sound levels right. The playback sound is real low and when I try to adjust the speaker settings I'm getting a real lot of feed back. I have no speakers attached to the pc yet. I was trying to get a somewhat normal sound just out of the speakers in the system. I'm a bit of a novice, but I have used some cheaper and free recording software and at least I got a normal sound out of it. Any help would be appreciated,
    57Gregy
    Re:Possibly a very stupid question regarding PC Recording and Interfaces 2010/12/25 15:42:39 (permalink)
    Paul, are you running SHS 7 in 32-bit emulation mode?
    I assume you mean ASIO4All, since you're using the stock sound card. Have you selected the ASIO drivers under Options>Audio>Drivers? And have you set the Driver Mode to ASIO?
    Are you using a USB mic?
    Have you opened the Windows mixer and adjusted the record and playback levels upward?

"I have no speakers attached to the pc yet. I was trying to get a somewhat normal sound just out of the speakers in the system."

So you do have speakers or you don't have speakers? Or are you using headphones only?

Greg 
    I am selling my MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS, red and black. PM for more details.

Music Creator 2003, MC Pro 24, SONAR Home Studio 6 XL, SONAR  X3e, CbB, Focusrite Saffire, not enough space.

paulclaro
    Re:Possibly a very stupid question regarding PC Recording and Interfaces 2010/12/25 16:24:57 (permalink)
    As I said, I'm new. I'm not sure I know how to run it in 32bit. I was told by techSupport that I didn't have to.  I installed asio4all, It is not showing when I go to audio/ options/ drivers. I am clicking on the advanced tab and changing the driver mode from mme 32bit to Asio. Then I'm runnign the wave profiler again and asio appears under playback timing master/recording timing master/advanced playback and record and it appears for input drivers and output drivers, but under driver name it says "unconnected". I'm a bit confused and frustrated. Iam using a usb mike. Actually i'm using a mic with a lightsname xlr/usb converter. I adjusted the playback levels upward and get allot of feedback. I have my regular pc speakers, but I did not hook them up. I'm just using the sound coming out of the lap top until I figure out this mess.
    paulclaro
    Re:Possibly a very stupid question regarding PC Recording and Interfaces 2010/12/25 16:57:10 (permalink)
    Let me add that the sound for the rest of my programs is fine. Just prob with shs. Also, how do I adjust the gain and playback volume. Unless I'm not seeing it in track view. Lastly, how do I turn the metronome off. Any help would be appreciated.
    Guitarhacker
    Re:Possibly a very stupid question regarding PC Recording and Interfaces 2010/12/25 17:53:30 (permalink)
    Paul welcome.... it's always best to start your own thread and keep all teh commentary there.... it just makes it easier to find and keep track of your progress towards a solution.

Likely the computer sound card is the problem. The expert will be along after they wake up from their food induced coma....

In the mean time, be sure the drivers are MME and you select the sound card as the in/out. Some will be along to help you get the 32 bit thing going.

BMI/NSAI

57Gregy
    Re:Possibly a very stupid question regarding PC Recording and Interfaces 2010/12/25 17:57:15 (permalink)
    You won't be able to use ASIO4All with a USB mic or USB guitar adapter. These USB devices usually work best in MME driver mode. And 'best' still won't be good enough.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pcAtPmLtRns
    http://www.cakewalk.com/support/kb/reader.aspx?ID=2007012937
    From the Cakewalk FAQ: 10) My USB Mic does not record.
    USB mic's will work best in MME mode. Go to Options | Audio | Advanced and put a check where it says Always use MME Interface (or change the Driver Mode to MME). Close the program and re-open it. The Wave Profiler should run tests. You should now have more devices listed under MIDI Devices and Audio Drivers.
    You may not be able to monitor that Mic while recording unless you use MME drivers, unfortunately MME creates a delay or latency. If you are able to use WDM and still get a delay when using (Input Echo or Input Monitoring), check out this link for more info on Decreasing Latency.
    A third option would be using ASIO4ALL drivers. You can try out ASIO4ALL from www.ASIO4ALL.com These 3rd party drivers are a good solution for generic or OEM sound cards that have unreliable WDM drivers and/or nonexistent ASIO support. Once installed open Cakewalk and go to Options | Audio | Advanced and change the Driver mode to ASIO. You may need to go to Options | MIDI Devices and shut down the Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth in order for this to work. Try using the input echo button on your audio track.

Fog's USB mic set-up post: http://forum.cakewalk.com/tm.aspx?m=1618556

I generally recommend throwing these things away and getting a regular dynamic mic to plug into the sound card's mic input.
    And a USB or FireWire audio interface designed for recording.
    You shouldn't record with any mic while monitoring with speakers; use headphones so you don't get feedback.
    To access the Windows mixer, double-click the speaker icon in the system tray at the bottom of the screen. But that probably won't work with any USB input device.

Greg 

Guitarhacker
    Re:Possibly a very stupid question regarding PC Recording and Interfaces 2010/12/25 18:06:47 (permalink)
    I missed the part about a USB mic..... I agree with Greg.... toss it and use a real mic.

If you really want to record music without a ton of trouble, you will need to look into getting a decent interface (USB.... but not like a USB mic) that will do a fine job for you with stable sound and low latency.

BMI/NSAI

paulclaro
    Re:Possibly a very stupid question regarding PC Recording and Interfaces 2010/12/25 18:36:59 (permalink)
    Thanks. I'll have to look into getting another mic. One thing, Ichanged the driver to MME  in advanced and ran wave profiler, but all I see in Input and output drivers are microphone High Def and Speakers High Def
    paulclaro
    Re:Possibly a very stupid question regarding PC Recording and Interfaces 2010/12/25 19:55:10 (permalink)
     Do you think a usb condensor mic would do the trick? Like the one that greg showed in the youtube link he posted. Right now the mic I was using was actually my stage mic. Not a bad mic, that's why I was surprised that the sound was so low when I connected it with an xlr usb cable.
    Guitarhacker
    Re:Possibly a very stupid question regarding PC Recording and Interfaces 2010/12/25 20:59:18 (permalink)
    no... do not use the USB mic.  In Gregs post he even said that very thing.

It's possible to use them but they are not conducive to a good recording experience. A dedicated recording interface will always do a better job than any USB mic or the factory sound card.

All of us here are using external interfaces or a dedicated PCI card... not the factory cards.

The reason the mic you used had a low signal was it needs a pre-amp of some sort. Either a mixer board or an interface with built in preamps is the answer to the low levels you get running straight in.

For example, my Saffire interface has nice pre's built in so I don't need any mixer. I run either a Rode or a Shure 58 straight in.
    post edited by Guitarhacker - 2010/12/25 21:02:04

BMI/NSAI

57Gregy
    Re:Possibly a very stupid question regarding PC Recording and Interfaces 2010/12/25 21:25:22 (permalink)
    Right. Those links were for people who already have those things. I would never recommend that anyone buy one.
    The low mic level you're getting is probably because there is no mic pre-amp. The lightsnake is designed for guitars, not mics.
    Since you have a regular mic (is it a dynamic mic or a condenser mic? What model is the mic?) just plug it into the computer sound card's mic input (if it's a dynamic mic. Condenser mics need 48 volt phantom power). You may need an adapter, though. Get one at your local Radio Shack.

Greg 

Beagle
    Re:Possibly a very stupid question regarding PC Recording and Interfaces 2010/12/26 08:16:42 (permalink)
    ^+1!

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1