Posting Cover Songs

Author
stratmanforever
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 453
2008/10/05 16:54:38 (permalink)

Posting Cover Songs

The way I understand it you can post a cover tune if your not making any money doing it and there are no legal problems such as royalties if its an older tune. Do they fall under "Public Domain". Anyone know the regs on this ? Thanks
post edited by stratmanforever - 2008/10/05 16:59:49

[link=http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=877045][/link]

19 Replies Related Threads

Doc_Hollingsworth
    Max Output Level: -52.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2289
    RE: Posting Cover Songs 2008/10/05 17:03:12 (permalink)
    Bill,

Depending on the site each has a different take on posting cover songs. But for the most part I think you're dead on.

Doc
    MacBook Pro 15.4 Retina (mid 2015)
    Focusrite Clarett 8PreX & OctoPre
    Logic Pro X 10.2.4/Reason 9.2/Pro Tools 12.7
    Long haired dachshund - requisite studio dog (no short hairs need apply - read the sign)

Jessie Sammler
    Max Output Level: -54 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2111
    RE: Posting Cover Songs 2008/10/05 19:05:44 (permalink)
    Just to be on the safe side, I am limiting my cover activities to "Row, Row Your Boat".
    stratmanforever
    RE: Posting Cover Songs 2008/10/05 20:06:54 (permalink)
    Cool cus I know that one!

stratmanforever
    RE: Posting Cover Songs 2008/10/05 20:10:49 (permalink)
    Back in the 70's-early 90's when I played cover tunes in public the legal folks told me as long as there wasn't any money involved as in people paying admittance,such as this site, and no charges were being made in any way there were no problems. But that was before Lars and all the hoop-la of the internet.

SteveStrummerUK
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 31112
    RE: Posting Cover Songs 2008/10/06 14:55:05 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Jessie Sammler

Just to be on the safe side, I am limiting my cover activities to "Row, Row Your Boat".

Here's my take on it, for what it's worth.

Anyone who records a 'cover' version of copyrighted material without the permission of the copyright holder, or doesn't pay any agreed fee to the copyright holder every time the cover is played, is in breach of that copyright.

Whether you sell your cover version or not is irrelevant, as is whether anyone pays any money or not to subscribe to any site on which it may be accessed.

It's black and white I'm afraid.

Now, if you get caught, you may be subjected to the full force of copyright law - ignorance of any part of this law does not constitute any defence I'm afraid, neither will the excuse that you didn't make any money from it.

However, I'd certainly agree that you are possibly more likely to get caught if you are making any money or selling copyrighted material, but I'm pretty certain the offence is identical, regardless of monetary considerations.

SteveStrummerQC

Music:     The Coffee House BandVeRy MeTaL

Randy P
    Max Output Level: -44.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3070
    RE: Posting Cover Songs 2008/10/06 15:16:19 (permalink)
    If your putting your stuff up on Soundclick, there is a link there to obtain permission, after you have paid a mechanical lic. fee to Harry, Harvery, Henry, whatever the hell his name is. Its fairly cheap. I've never paid it, but I'm a known scofflaw!

Randy

http://www.soundclick.com/riprorenband

The music biz is a cruel and shallow money trench,a plastic hallway where thieves & pimps run free and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side. Hunter S. Thompson
    stratmanforever
    RE: Posting Cover Songs 2008/10/06 18:44:28 (permalink)
    If I post anything it's gonna be original so I guess I won't have to worry about it. I've heard alot of tunes posted and don't know if they are cover tunes or not. thank for the info. I forget the timeframe for a song to become "Public Domain"

SteveStrummerUK
    RE: Posting Cover Songs 2008/10/07 02:34:51 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: stratmanforever

I forget the timeframe for a song to become "Public Domain"

In the case of music, I always thought it was fifty years after the death of the composer.

However, I'm not sure how this time frame works with regard to the copyright owner of music. For instance, John Lennon's songs should become 'public domain' in 2030 but doesn't Michael Jackson own the (copy)rights to all The Beatles songs?

jamesg1213
    • Total Posts : 21760
    RE: Posting Cover Songs 2008/10/07 06:07:45 (permalink)
    AFAIK Steve, it's 50 years from when the song was first copyrighted in the UK, 95 years in the US. Hence songs written in the '60's are now about to fall into public domain, much to the chagrin of writers/performers who are still alive and kicking, like Ian Anderson (this from 2006);

''...I am horrified that, along with countless other great artists and bands of the 60’s and 70’s, Jethro Tull’s earliest recordings will progressively fall out of copyright in the foreseeable future under current UK legislation. The band’s first album, “This Was” (1968), is due to fall out of copyright in just 12 years’ time. From this date onwards, every year will see more and more of Tull’s records slipping into the commercial quagmire of the public domain along with the all the other great works of British pop and rock music. Sir Cliff Richard’s first recordings start to come out of copyright protection in just over two years time. The Beatles in six.

This means loss of Royalty income not only to the (perhaps well-off, perhaps quite poor) performers on the records but, more importantly from the industry perspective, the loss of income to the record companies, and ultimately to the UK exchequer...''
    post edited by jamesg1213 - 2008/10/07 06:08:25

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer
    SteveStrummerUK
    RE: Posting Cover Songs 2008/10/07 06:10:19 (permalink)

Thanks for the update James - I knew there was a 'fifty year' something or other in there somewhere!

Fog
    • Total Posts : 12302
    RE: Posting Cover Songs 2008/10/07 18:34:01 (permalink)
    50 years + 70 years AFTER the authors death.. If memory serves..

as I do remember people like Blueboy getting stung for using samples that were from long ago that he assumed were copyright free.

Steve , Jackson has copyrights on some of the material, not all of it.. it's to do with the publishing though I guess.. and it's 50% of the tunes.
    http://www.snopes.com/music/artists/jackson.asp

to license beatles tunes for a film... is SERIOUS money... £250,000 or $250,000 A TUNE (I can't recall if it was in £ or $)... as there as a film that used 13 of them, apple corp have been very good at keeping a tight rein esp with sampling etc.. Danger Mouse's "grey" album etc. was done as an experiment, but if it was a commercial release he'd have got in the s***
    post edited by Fog - 2008/10/07 18:41:40
    SteveStrummerUK
    RE: Posting Cover Songs 2008/10/08 02:31:21 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Fog

to license beatles tunes for a film... is SERIOUS money... £250,000 or $250,000 A TUNE (I can't recall if it was in £ or $)... as there as a film that used 13 of them, apple corp have been very good at keeping a tight rein esp with sampling etc.. Danger Mouse's "grey" album etc. was done as an experiment, but if it was a commercial release he'd have got in the s***

I suppose this sort of fee is why none of the 'Best of the Sixties' type CD's never seem to have a Beatles song on 'em I guess.

pistolpete
    Max Output Level: -59.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1584
    RE: Posting Cover Songs 2008/10/08 13:52:42 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: SteveStrummerUK

ORIGINAL: Fog

I suppose this sort of fee is why none of the 'Best of the Sixties' type CD's never seem to have a Beatles song on 'em I guess.

Thank Yoko for that.
    SteveStrummerUK
    RE: Posting Cover Songs 2008/10/08 16:58:35 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: pistolpete

Thank Yoko for that.

I'm impressed.

Not with you, with something on the TV actually - I just happened to be randomly typing while thinking.

Called multi-tasking apparently.

Like being a tool and an idiot simultaneously

FlySig
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 142
    RE: Posting Cover Songs 2008/10/18 17:37:31 (permalink)

Here's my take on it, for what it's worth.

Anyone who records a 'cover' version of copyrighted material without the permission of the copyright holder, or doesn't pay any agreed fee to the copyright holder every time the cover is played, is in breach of that copyright.

Whether you sell your cover version or not is irrelevant, as is whether anyone pays any money or not to subscribe to any site on which it may be accessed.

It's black and white I'm afraid.

In the USA that is exactly correct also. The owner of the copyright as the writer of the song owns it, period. Note that this may be someone other than the person who performed and recorded the song. You cannot do a public performance of copyrighted material without the permission of the copyright owner. However, there is a compulsory license if you wish to record the song, and there is also a mechanism to license playing the original recording.

What it means is that you can make a recording of a cover and you can sell it or play it on the internet (or radio or tv). THere is a royalty that must be paid to the copyright owner, and that amount of $ is prescribed by law. If you want to record a cover, you have to pay Harry something like 8 cents per sold copy. If you stream over the internet there is some other formula.

In general, the person who produces the CD would pay the required license fees, which means that for folks like us we would just go on the internet to Harry Fox's site and pay it. For a few hundred CDs you would be paying a few tens of dollars in royalties.

Many websites and concert venues won't allow covers because they have not paid for the license. For the live performance it is the venue that must buy the license, not the performer.

In reality, though, if you are doing a cover of a friend's song, nobody is going to know. If you are going to do a cover that nobody makes any money on, probably nobody is going to care unless it is really prominently in public.
    post edited by FlySig - 2008/10/18 17:46:02

Checkout my songs at http://www.soundclick.com/zozobra
    SteveStrummerUK
    RE: Posting Cover Songs 2008/10/18 17:49:01 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: FlySig

In reality, though, if you are doing a cover of a friend's song, nobody is going to know. If you are going to do a cover that nobody makes any money on, probably nobody is going to care unless it is really prominently in public.

That's well put FlySig - it's common sense really.

If you're actually 'really' ripping someone off and taking the piss then yeah, I agree you're asking for some sort of litigation.

How you doing by the way mate?

Steve

cjlinus
    Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 446
    RE: Posting Cover Songs 2008/10/19 03:01:29 (permalink)
    Check the ASCAP site for information on this topic. They are the organization that collect the fees and distributes the checks. I got a whopping $.25 check (wish I hadn't lost it) from ASCAP for a song I co-wrote, it got some very light airplay on a few college stations but ASCAP still kept track and paid up.

As far as copyrights in the states, there are two types; one for the actual song and a seperate one for the performance or recording. You can use either type to be protected under copyright laws if you are self publishing and or distributing. If you get signed you would file your work using the form for the song and the record company would resiter the recording seperately because, in most cases, they own the actual recording.

When I was a kid we had to use Portastudios, uphill! both ways!!

Listen to my songs here
    FlySig
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 142
    RE: Posting Cover Songs 2008/10/19 19:58:17 (permalink)

How you doing by the way mate?

Doing great. It's been an interesting few months recently, adding to the grey hair count with some things, but other things have been good.

My 16 yr old daughter is doing really well with her acoustic duo. They have a steady job playing each week in a local grill, a lot like a pub as you would say. Each show they do leads to at least another invitation to do a show. We recorded one of their live shows and got about ten good songs, and another three or four that are ok for MySpace but not suitable for a commercial CD. Her recent CD and shows have caused me to have to learn about copyright. The girls want to put together a better CD than their EP, with more songs, meaning another push coming up to record. If you do myspace, look up ScarletLaceMusic.

Last night we went to an amazing concert featuring a virtuoso guitarist named Kaki King. If you haven't heard her, look her up. Here's a link to a review with pictures that I posted today. Kaki King concert review

Grey hairs are due to 1) boyfriend issues with the 16 yr old, 2) the 16 yr old got her drivers license, and 3) an accident involving the 19 yr old's roommates who borrowed her scooter (like a Vespa) and got t-boned by a car. Some surgery and screws were needed to put one ankle back together, and now the lawyers are involved.

How is the financial chaos treating you over there?

Checkout my songs at http://www.soundclick.com/zozobra
    SteveStrummerUK
    RE: Posting Cover Songs 2008/10/20 13:14:59 (permalink)

Good to hear all is good, the grey hair club is alive and kicking here too mate

That's great that your daughter's duo is getting regular work - I'll check out the MySpace link.

The so-called 'credit cruch' is biting quite hard at the moment but it seems the whole world's is affected to some degree or other. My new toys are making me feel better anyway!!

Catch you soon

Steve

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1