Helpful ReplyPractical Uses of Sends

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Markubl2
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 299
2017/11/03 12:03:21 (permalink)

Practical Uses of Sends

I have been going through the Groove 3 videos on Sonar, and last night's "lesson" was on buses and routing.  The videos are good training on where to "point and click,"  but if one has no education/experience with recording (like me) it is fairly superficial knowledge.  

I believe I have a good idea on the use of buses (eg. - send groups of instruments to a bus for effects processing), but I'm a bit unsure of the reason for Sends.  As I understand, they can also have effects.  Can someone enlighten me on the practical uses of Sends?  I know that Anderton has touched on them before, but I can't seem to find what I was looking for.  

Thank you. 
AllanH
Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 406
Re: Practical Uses of Sends 2017/11/03 12:21:28 (permalink)
I use buses to represent groups of instruments, e.g. the string section, the brass section etc.
This gives me one place to control section level effects such as reverb, compression, effects and section volume.

You could just as well keep all the individual tracks and duplicate the effects; this is however more CPU and labor intensive, and there is little lost is combining into buses.

Some effects, such as pan and possibly EQ, may be track specific and remain on the individual tracks. Reverb and compression generally should be on buses (imo).

Sonar Platinum, EWHO/D, Spitfire, Miroslav, Pianoteq, ....,  Kurzweil.
Slugbaby
Max Output Level: -33.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4172
Re: Practical Uses of Sends 2017/11/03 13:18:59 (permalink)
Routing the Output to a bus (or aux) sends the entire signal on that path.
If you route a Send to a bus (or aux), you can specify the amount of signal.

Take a standard drum kit for example:
Most of us direct the Outputs from the Kick, Snare, HiHat, Toms, and Overheads to a Drum Bus for overall control.  We can change the volume as a whole, and add things like EQ and Compression to the entire kit at once.
We will then SEND each instrument (audio track) to another bus, which has Reverb (100% wet) in the FX bin.  We can then send a specific amount of each instrument to that Reverb Bus, so that it creates the ambient sound that we want.  You might not want 100% of the Kick Drum going to the Reverb, but may want 20% instead, while the Snare Drum could be sending 75% of the signal to the Reverb.  We then route that Reverb Bus Output to the Drum Bus, setting the volume sliders as desired to mix the kit with the room.

http://www.MattSwiftMusic.com

Dell i5, 16Gb RAM, Focusrite 2i2 IO, Telecasters, P-bases, Personal Drama for a muse.
Unknowen
Max Output Level: -65 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1276
Re: Practical Uses of Sends 2017/11/03 13:43:27 (permalink)
Side chain. :)

Hay look,
Somethings are not locked in stone... lol 3/18/2019
BassRocket
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 132
Re: Practical Uses of Sends 2017/11/03 13:43:55 (permalink)
Can I chime in?
The problem I have with busses is that it's the same effect for a group of tracks. It sort of makes sense to me for drums. But still, its the SAME EFFECT spread across the entire kit, right?
Like the original post, I too don't yet understand how to effectively use sends and busses.

"War is not the answer, for only love can conquer hate"
-Marvin Gaye
New System:
MSI SLI Plus X299 mortherboard
Intel Core i7 7820X CPU
16GB Crucial Ballistix Elite DDR4 3200 RAM
MSI Radeon RX580 4GB Graphics
Samsung 960 Pro M.2 SSD (Win 10 Pro)
Samsung EVO 850 250GB SSD (storage)
WD Velociraptor 1TB HDD (storage)
Focusrite 18i8 Scarlett audio interface
Akai MPK261 midi controller
Sonar Platinum, Bitwig Studio, Cubase Artist 9.5
bitflipper
01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
  • Total Posts : 26036
Re: Practical Uses of Sends 2017/11/03 13:51:59 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby rogeriodec 2017/11/03 17:39:48
A send is exactly the same as the main destination selector. It just goes by a different name because it's considered an extra, or auxiliary path. You could call both of them "sends" and be correct. The only difference is you are not allowed to delete the first one.

The most common use of sends is for reverb. You want multiple instruments to share a common reverb for homogeneity and CPU efficiency, but each track will likely send a different amount of signal to the reverb bus. 

Next-most frequent application is parallel compression. You might, for example, send more of a lead vocal's double to the compressor than the primary lead vocal track.

Parallel distortion is another common scenario. I'll use send levels to send some kick drum to a distortion plugin, send a higher level to it from snare and toms, and usually none from the overheads.

Another frequent use of sends is setting up headphone mixes. You can have any number of headphone busses, allowing for a custom cue mix to every performer. Sends and send levels are how you determine what each person hears in his own headphones.

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
synkrotron
Max Output Level: -22.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5263
Re: Practical Uses of Sends 2017/11/03 14:09:37 (permalink)
I use sends and busses all the time, in a creative way. Here is an example of a track where I have nine audio tracks and seven busses, (not counting the master buss):-

Probably not much use for "normal" music...

http://www.synkrotron.co.uk/
Intel Core™i7-3820QM Quad Core Mobile Processor 2.70GHz 8MB cache | Intel HM77 Express Chipset | 16GB SAMSUNG 1600MHz SODIMM DDR3 RAM | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 675M - 2.0GB DDR5 Video RAM | 500GB Samsung 850 Pro SSD | 1TB Samsung 850 Pro SSD | Windows 10 Pro | Roland OCTA-CAPTURE | SONAR Platinum ∞ FFS| Too many VSTi's to list here | KRK KNS-8400 Headphones | Roland JP-8000 | Oberheim OB12 | Novation Nova | Gibson SG Special | PRS Studio
dubdisciple
Max Output Level: -17 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5849
Re: Practical Uses of Sends 2017/11/03 17:25:46 (permalink)
As bitflipper pointed out, in some ways the difference between sends and busses are semantics. What sends enable vs busses are:

1) The ability to use effect consistently, yet with varying amounts of wetness across different tracks. You could route all tracks to one buss and throw effect on it, but odds are slim you want the exact same amount of effect on every sound. The send allows you to have the consistency of exact same effects setting with varying amounts without having to duplicate instances of same effect.

2) In side-chaining, you can do a few cool tricks that would be more awkward if attempted via buss.  For example, let's say i have a Bass, a tuned 808 and a kick drum all fighting for space. Logically, the kick, having the shortest duration makes sense to use as source for sidechain source.One of the pitfalls of using the kick as a source is that any effects on kick may effect how sidechain is triggered .  Using a send instead of simple bus routing, you can send full kick signal, pre-send to a silent buss to use as source and still process kick in channel to taste with no consequences on side-chain trigger.

3) One of the biggest timesavers for me is setting up templates for particular genres and productions styles.  For EDM, hip-hop, and other predominantly electronic styles I use the following basic configuration to start:

Tracks
bass
Kick
snare
closed hh
open hh
perc
full drumkit (rarely used except when i compose entire drum part in third party program that has own sequencing like Geist)
synth
sytnh
rompler
piano
I add tracks as needed but this usually is a good start

Sends
Hall verb 
Plate verb
Ping-pong delay
Echo type delay
Exciter bus (pretty much a small chain that includes saturation and EQ presence bump to help a track cut through mix)

Busses
Drum summing bus (default bus for all drum sounds )
Instrument summing bus (default bus for all instruments)
Filtered bus (Drum,instruments and sends  are combined here)
Unfiltered Bus (this is used for any track I want to bypass all effects.  Don't use much, but I create it because the type of process i use this for is awkward to do after the fact.  I am struggling to fix a song now where I needed this and thought of it afterward).
Mixbus (Filtered and unfiltered combined)

By having my sends already configured, I save tons of time and i have verbs and delays already in place for any track I add after the fact.

mrpippy2
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 222
Re: Practical Uses of Sends 2017/11/03 17:28:16 (permalink)
Slugbaby and Bitflipper, clear explanations with real world examples. Thanks! I've been recording for a long time and you both just set things a good bit clearer in my mind.

Sweetwater Creation Station 250, QuadCore, i5 3.4 Ghz, 2x1TB HD, 16GB RAM, Windows 10 64 bit, Sonar Platinum 64 bit, Focusrite 2i2
mrpippy2
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 222
Re: Practical Uses of Sends 2017/11/03 17:29:45 (permalink)
And Dubdisciple too. Very informative post!

Sweetwater Creation Station 250, QuadCore, i5 3.4 Ghz, 2x1TB HD, 16GB RAM, Windows 10 64 bit, Sonar Platinum 64 bit, Focusrite 2i2
dubdisciple
Max Output Level: -17 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5849
Re: Practical Uses of Sends 2017/11/03 17:30:54 (permalink)
BassRocket
Can I chime in?
The problem I have with busses is that it's the same effect for a group of tracks. It sort of makes sense to me for drums. But still, its the SAME EFFECT spread across the entire kit, right?
Like the original post, I too don't yet understand how to effectively use sends and busses.

Maybe imagine a send like this:

You have a tub, kitchen sink, toilet , dishwasher, lawn sprinkler.  They are all using the same water supply in the same way that all sounds using a reverb send are using same source
Markubl2
Re: Practical Uses of Sends 2017/11/03 17:40:49 (permalink)
bitflipper
The most common use of sends is for reverb. You want multiple instruments to share a common reverb for homogeneity and CPU efficiency, but each track will likely send a different amount of signal to the reverb bus. 

So, in this example, say you have 3 Tracks going to a Send for reverb:
Track 1, Track 2, and Track 3

Is it normal to have the three tracks also sending to a bus (like the master bus)?  If so, then only a partial amount of the signal is processed for the reverb, or is it that there are double the audio, one part reverbed and the other not?

reginaldStjohn
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 485
Re: Practical Uses of Sends 2017/11/03 19:28:53 (permalink)
husker
bitflipper

Is it normal to have the three tracks also sending to a bus (like the master bus)?  If so, then only a partial amount of the signal is processed for the reverb, or is it that there are double the audio, one part reverbed and the other not?

A send in itself is not a track or a thing, its more of a tap point which you get a duplicate of the track's audio, either before or after the fader.  So to do reverb you would need a bus or and auxiliary track with a reverb setup on that bus.  Then you send (or tap into) a desired amount of the track and send it to the Bus. The bus reverb is set to 100% wet so that everything you send will end up being heard as wet. This way the Dry/Wet balance of the track is controlled by how much signal you send to the reverb bus.

AMD Phenom II x6, 8 GB Ram, 2 Internal SATA III HD
Windows 10
Presonus Studio Live 16.0.2 Interface/Mixer
Cakewalk Sonar Platinum
Line6 Helix Guitar Processor 
Custom Made (El Bandito) Telecaster
LTD ESP EC-1000
PRS El Torrero SE
Zargg
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 10666
Re: Practical Uses of Sends 2017/11/03 19:33:26 (permalink)
husker
bitflipper

Hi. I would use sends for reverbs/delays, and outputs* to buses. (*drums to drum bus, bass to bass bus etc)
You can use sends from/to the buses as well.
All the best.

Ken Nilsen
Zargg
BBZ
Win 10 Pro X64, Cakewalk by Bandlab, SPlat X64, AMD AM3+ fx-8320, 16Gb RAM, RME Ucx (+ ARC), Tascam FW 1884, M-Audio Keystation 61es, *AKAI MPK Pro 25, *Softube Console1, Alesis DM6 USB, Maschine MkII
Laptop setup: Win 10 X64, i5 2.4ghz, 8gb RAM, 320gb 7200 RPM HD, Focusrite Solo, + *

Markubl2
Re: Practical Uses of Sends 2017/11/03 19:49:37 (permalink)
I think I am beginning to understand, but let me rephrase my question (I think I asked in haste before).

I have three tracks:  1, 2, and 3.   In the channel strip, say I have all three routed to a bus (master, drum bus, whatever).  I also have a send on those tracks that route to a Reverb Send.  That Send also have a routing at the bottom of the strip, that does not necessarily have to be the same bus route as the three individual tracks.  Does the "routing" of the bus on the bottom of the Send not matter?

Thank you all for your replies and patience.

Zargg
Re: Practical Uses of Sends 2017/11/03 19:54:47 (permalink)
husker
I think I am beginning to understand, but let me rephrase my question (I think I asked in haste before).

I have three tracks:  1, 2, and 3.   In the channel strip, say I have all three routed to a bus (master, drum bus, whatever).  I also have a send on those tracks that route to a Reverb Send.  That Send also have a routing at the bottom of the strip, that does not necessarily have to be the same bus route as the three individual tracks.  Does the "routing" of the bus on the bottom of the Send not matter?

Thank you all for your replies and patience.

If I understand correctly, the "routing at the bottom" of each track/bus are its output.
The sends section are above the fader, and the outputs below.
Does that make any sense?

Ken Nilsen
Zargg
BBZ
Win 10 Pro X64, Cakewalk by Bandlab, SPlat X64, AMD AM3+ fx-8320, 16Gb RAM, RME Ucx (+ ARC), Tascam FW 1884, M-Audio Keystation 61es, *AKAI MPK Pro 25, *Softube Console1, Alesis DM6 USB, Maschine MkII
Laptop setup: Win 10 X64, i5 2.4ghz, 8gb RAM, 320gb 7200 RPM HD, Focusrite Solo, + *

bitflipper
01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
  • Total Posts : 26036
Re: Practical Uses of Sends 2017/11/03 19:55:13 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Zargg 2017/11/03 19:59:58
husker

Yes, most of the time all busses end up being subsequently routed to the master bus. The exception would be if you wanted separate hardware outputs from certain busses, such as with the headphone mix example.

A bus need not go directly to the master bus, though. For example, you might have all drums going to both a drum bus and a parallel distortion bus, which get combined and sent to an Instruments bus and finally to the master. Similarly, vocals could be sent to a raw vocal bus and a reverb bus and a compression bus. Backing vocals might be sent to a common BGV bus. All four would then be combined into one Vocals bus.

So yeh, the only bus that's usually a final endpoint is the master. Other busses are typically intermediate points of convergence.

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
Markubl2
Re: Practical Uses of Sends 2017/11/03 20:12:39 (permalink)
Perhaps a picture would help.  In this example, I have three tracks that are routed to a drum bus. They also have a Send to a Reverb. At the bottom of the Reverb Send, there is a routing to the master.  I understand the tracks routed to a a drum bus, but I'm unsure of why there is a routing on a Send.

Zargg
Re: Practical Uses of Sends 2017/11/03 20:16:44 (permalink)
husker
Perhaps a picture would help.  In this example, I have three tracks that are routed to a drum bus. They also have a Send to a Reverb. At the bottom of the Reverb Send, there is a routing to the master.  I understand the tracks routed to a a drum bus, but I'm unsure of why there is a routing on a Send.

The routing on the sends are because you may want to use different fx for different instruments, hence the choice to route to another place/bus/AUX.
(This routing looks ok to me )

Ken Nilsen
Zargg
BBZ

soens
Max Output Level: -23.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5154
Re: Practical Uses of Sends 2017/11/03 21:36:11 (permalink)
The MASTER bus represents the total culmination of all your recording and mixing efforts. If you want to hear the reverb, you have to "send" it to the MASTER. The purpose of using a SEND is to "mix" a dry signal from the TRACK with an effect stored in a BUS so you can control how much reverb/effect goes into the sound.

A crude (and I mean VERY crude) example would be your homes plumbing system.
Water comes into the home from one source, usually cold (a TRACK). To make some of it HOT it's sent to a hot water tank (REVERB bus) to be "processed". It's then sent out to your bathroom shower (MASTER bus) to be "mixed" with cold water (the TRACK signal) where you can enjoy the experience. From there it all ultimately goes down the drain to the septic tank (like most of my music).

As an alternative, you can route the entire TRACK to the REVERB bus making the entire TRACK "wet" , but that would be like taking a shower with straight hot water... the choice is yours.
Markubl2
Re: Practical Uses of Sends 2017/11/04 00:36:19 (permalink)
I believe I understand now - you get both a processed and unprocessed signal when you route to a send.  I set up a quick test with a simple audio loop.  I added a send to the bus with an effect that was hard to miss.  When I routed the track itself to "none" i only heard the processed audio.  When I set the send output to none, I heard only unprocessed audio.  Both set to master I heard a mix. 

A send would then only be useful, then, as Bitflipper said, when multiple tracks use the same effect.  Got it.

Thank you all for your help.  
Anderton
  • Total Posts : 14070
Re: Practical Uses of Sends 2017/11/04 02:18:33 (permalink)
bitflipper
Next-most frequent application is parallel compression. You might, for example, send more of a lead vocal's double to the compressor than the primary lead vocal track.

Parallel distortion is another common scenario. I'll use send levels to send some kick drum to a distortion plugin, send a higher level to it from snare and toms, and usually none from the overheads.

To add to this, I use sends for all kinds of parallel processing. For example using effects on bass will often thin the sound, so you send the main bass track to the master, and use a send to go through the effect. That way you can add wah, distortion, envelope-controlled filtering, and the like without affecting the bass's low end.

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
MelodicJimmy
Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 668
Re: Practical Uses of Sends 2017/11/04 02:41:12 (permalink)
I always thought a send was kinda like the effects loop on a guitar amp.  In other words, it lets you tap into the signal chain with effects at a different point than just putting the effects plugins in the bin.  When you put the plugins in the bin, they come "before" the audio, where a send is basically coming AFTER the audio (i.e., the effects loop comparison).  Is that incorrect?

Toshiba Ultrabook Laptop (Core i7)/ Sonar Platinum/ Windows 10 Home 64-bit
10 gigs ram/ solid state drive/ Roland Cubix 22 interface/ M-Audio 88-key Keystation MIDI Controller/ Samson Monitors/ Sibelius 7 Notation

Larry Jones
Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 834
Re: Practical Uses of Sends 2017/11/04 05:30:33 (permalink)
Husker - You may have received too much information in this thread. It's all good, and eventually you'll want to know all that stuff, but your picture above is perfect, and it's all you need to know about sends for now. Using the setup in your picture, your sends pick off some of the signal on each track and send it over to the reverb bus, which feeds reverb only -- in the amount you choose using your sends -- into your master bus and into your mix. If you didn't use sends you'd have to add a reverb effect in the FX bin of each track where you wanted reverb. All kinds of problems could arise from that, from exceeding the limits of your computer to having your mix sound as if every musician were playing in a different city.

Later you can add more sends and more different effects, but some of the best records ever made had one reverb send going to one echo chamber, period.

SONAR Platinum 2017.10 • CbB  Win10 • i7/2600 • 16GB RAM • Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 • NVIDIA GeForce 8400GS
BassRocket
Re: Practical Uses of Sends 2017/11/15 05:35:17 (permalink)
Hi,
Your template idea sounds really nice. I'd like to try it! Still a noob trying to figure out a good go-to way of doing things.
With your drums, can you use just one instance of say, addictive drums, and route the individual parts of.the kit to separate tracks? Or do you have to setup many instances of a drums intrument?

I have more questions, but I'll leave it at that for.now, lol.
Thanks

-Marvin Gaye
New System:
Intel Core i7 7820X CPU
scook
Forum Host
  • Total Posts : 24146
Re: Practical Uses of Sends 2017/11/15 05:40:48 (permalink)
BassRocket

With your drums, can you use just one instance of say, addictive drums, and route the individual parts of.the kit to separate tracks?

Yes, but it has nothing to do with this thread. Read this blog. It was written for X3 but works for newer versions too.
BassRocket
Re: Practical Uses of Sends 2017/11/15 05:47:12 (permalink)
Thanks Scook!

-Marvin Gaye
New System:
Intel Core i7 7820X CPU
Joe_A
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 458
Re: Practical Uses of Sends 2017/11/15 20:56:54 (permalink)
This post sure opened a large can of good ideas folks are posting 😊.

jambrose@cfl.rr.com  Sonar Plat. Lifetime. Started in Sonar 4, each through 8.5.3PE.
Scarlett 18i202nd gen., Edirol FA-101, M-Audio Firewire 410, AMD Phenom II 1045T six core processor, 8GB DDR3, AMD Radeon HD 6450, dual displays, 1.5 TB SATA HD, USB 2, Firewire 1394A, 1394B, 18/22 mixer, EV Q-66, Yamaha HS50M monitors, few guitars, Fender Cybertwin SE, Fender Cyber foot controller, Boss RC20-XL, misc pedals, etc. Win Home Prem 64 bit.
Bristol_Jonesey
  • Total Posts : 16775
Re: Practical Uses of Sends 2017/11/15 21:13:24 (permalink)
Another useful application for sends is setting up alternative headphone mixes.
I always have a send on each sub-buss - drums, keys, guitars, vocals etc, routed to a Phones bus.
This bus doesn't go to the master bus but to a spare pair of interface outputs, in turn routed to my headphone amp.
It's easy to vary the amount of each bus in the headphones by varying the send level.

CbB, Platinum, 64 bit throughout
Custom built i7 3930, 32Gb RAM, 2 x 1Tb Internal HDD, 1 x 1TB system SSD (Win 7), 1 x 500Gb system SSD (Win 10), 2 x 1Tb External HDD's, Dual boot Win 7 & Win 10 64 Bit, Saffire Pro 26, ISA One, Adam P11A,
SuperG
Max Output Level: -63 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1371
Re: Practical Uses of Sends 2017/11/16 04:19:53 (permalink)
Bristol_Jonesey
Another useful application for sends is setting up alternative headphone mixes.
I always have a send on each sub-buss - drums, keys, guitars, vocals etc, routed to a Phones bus.
This bus doesn't go to the master bus but to a spare pair of interface outputs, in turn routed to my headphone amp.
It's easy to vary the amount of each bus in the headphones by varying the send level.

I just put one send on the master bus to go to the headphones - unless you want a phones mix that is different than your master mix, that's seems like doing it the hard way.

laudem Deo
Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1